Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

paying $80 for games that are literally over 20 years old, even for a lot of them at once, is pretty insulting while steam summer sale is currently happening

No its not insulting, its utter genius, its a licence to print money from long dead franchises that are otherwise devoid of capital

Oh wait from a consumer perspective? Yeah its pretty retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Real hurthling! posted:

The new noclip is good. Square execs not shy about saying how bad they hosed it

nice, i've been meaning to watch that

really enjoyed their videos on spelunky and frog fractions (but did not care for the witness or for learning anything at all about how that game came to be, idk why)

Macarius Wrench posted:

Oh wait from a consumer perspective? Yeah its pretty retarded

c-consumer perspective? whazzat? - nintendo legion

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

nice, i've been meaning to watch that

really enjoyed their videos on spelunky and frog fractions (but did not care for the witness or for learning anything at all about how that game came to be, idk why)

c-consumer perspective? whazzat? - nintendo legion

from the perspective of a person exchanging their money for this product, from a business perspective its a great decision

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think this is an okay time to remind everyone that Discordian UK band The KLF (aka The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu aka The Timelords) burned one million pounds of british money (that they had made off their hit singles)

so i mean, compared to that, what's 80 bucks?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

i think this is an okay time to remind everyone that Discordian UK band The KLF (aka The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu aka The Timelords) burned one million pounds of british money (that they had made off their hit singles)

so i mean, compared to that, what's 80 bucks?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

from the perspective of a person exchanging their money for this product, from a business perspective its a great decision

yeah that was my point holmes

nintendo fans' fixation on "business perspective and strategy" is weird and unhealthy (and can be likely traced back to the company's general status as an "underdog" for the last few generations). I don't get people who become emotionally invested in the well-being of any given company within a competitive industry rife with options

I still want a switch tho, I want mario to possess me

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

paying $80 for games that are literally over 20 years old, even for a lot of them at once, is pretty insulting while steam summer sale is currently happening

These things aren't made for the type of person who counts down the days between summer sales and posts on the esteemed Something Awful forums; they're made for people who work fulfilling jobs, go home to a loving family and think, "Oh swell, I remember playing that there Super Nintendo as a young tyke. Maybe I'll pick one up for old times' sake."

...I mean, that's the idea, except that they made approximately 10 of the first system so who knows what they'll do for this one.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mordja posted:

These things aren't made for the type of person who counts down the days between summer sales and posts on the esteemed Something Awful forums; they're made for people who work fulfilling jobs, go home to a loving family and think, "Oh swell, I remember playing that there Super Nintendo as a young tyke. Maybe I'll pick one up for old times' sake." scalpers

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The strawmen are flying low and in an unknown formation today.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not emotionally invested in Nintendo and think Nintendo fans can be extremely crazy and weirdly defensive just like hardcore fans of p much anything

I also think getting extremely worked up over how outrageously overpriced something that costs less than $100 is, especially when part of your argument is "this stuff is so easy to steal anyway", is extremely weird

As my friends Trey Parker and Matt Stone say, the truth may very well be in the middle...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

:lol:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

yeah that was my point holmes

nintendo fans' fixation on "business perspective and strategy" is weird and unhealthy (and can be likely traced back to the company's general status as an "underdog" for the last few generations). I don't get people who become emotionally invested in the well-being of any given company within a competitive industry rife with options

I still want a switch tho, I want mario to possess me

I don't get it either but its far more prevalent with Nintendo fans maybe because of how long they've been around compared to the rest. I loved Nintendo as much as the next person, first console was a NES, but everything from the Wii U onwards just hasn't screamed out to me. This retro pandering just irritates me I guess because I've seen and played all those games years ago, I don't even have the nostalgic feel for the SNES since I didn't really see one in the wild till the mid 96 or so and didn't own one personally. You can't grudge people for wanting to buy it but the tragic thing is it could be so much more.

The potential there is massive, get it out, charge £100 £150 £200 whatever but stick on every single SNES game made. The whole lost and I mean from Harvest Moon to Act Raiser to Smash TV to Mega Man loving Soccer.There is no barrier to that other than for profiteering sake and thats the worst loving thing about our species.

For the record I think it's fantastic they got Final Fantasy 3 on there but they should have went all in with Chrono Trigger. The 2 Kirby games are questionable, rest are solid.

Macarius Wrench fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 26, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Healbot posted:

The strawmen are flying low and in an unknown formation today.

we also have reports that one of them is a fox and another may be a frog. there's also a rabbit and a... falcon? that doesn't seem right

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Slippy: I can't wait to acquire a SNES Classic at the market-reasonable price of $80 and enjoy gaming.

Falco: *too busy composing angry letter to Nintendo to be reached for comment*

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Macarius Wrench posted:

The 2 Kirby games are questionable, rest are solid.

What the gently caress? What the gently caress?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

What the gently caress

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

General Pepper, as he sends the squad out to pick up SNES classics

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I've heard that the absolute endgame gets kinda hinky but there's a long way to go before that, lots of fun to be had. I was thinking of picking it up myself!

I love Darkest Dungeon, it's a great pickup for 10bux right now. I think I had like 160 ingame weeks (some of it carried over from Early Access) just constantly doing missions and upgrading poo poo. I never beat the Darkest Dungeon because I took a long break then made a second file for the DLC stuff, but it's actually a very low-stress game for me to play since there's no real hard failstate (unless you do hardcore mode) and it's always fun for me to boot it up, do 1 or 2 missions, upgrade a thing, and then close it for a while. If my whole team wipes, whatever, you can hire similar leveled guys now when you upgrade the roster stagecoach so it's easier than it was at launch to make up for lost time.

I can see why it can and has driven people insane ("50 hours logged, Negative review on Steam gently caress this poo poo" is common for this game) but to me I never felt like anything was a grind. Whatever I got to do or accomplish, I did, and even if you don't conquer the entire game it's still a lot of fun to beat the various bosses and work your way up to them. Yes there's a shitload of RNG and yes you will get bad luck but there's a lot of upgrades and roster variants to mitigate a lot of the misfortune. It's absolutely worth the tenbux it's at right now. They even added a Radiant mode for people who want all the normal challenge but also would like to have a run be more like 30 hours instead of like 60 (it gives you more monies/artifacts so you can upgrade poo poo faster.)

wizard on a water slide posted:

Slippy: I can't wait to acquire a SNES Classic at the market-reasonable price of $80 and enjoy gaming.

Falco: *too busy composing angry letter to Nintendo to be reached for comment*

As if we needed any more reason to be convinced of Slippy's naivety

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kirby Super Star is not only the best Kirby game, it's one of the best games on the SNES period. It also has the bonus of having good B/Y Jump/Attack button mapping unlike the DS release.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Why the gently caress would anybody spend so much money on a Criterion Blu-ray of Metropolis featuring restored footage that people thought had been lost forever? That movie's like a hundred years old and for that much money you could get three months of Netflix and watch tons more movies.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dream course is better

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm never played past the first 10 levels of Mario World, I'm a bad person, I should punish myself by buying a mini snes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was okay with $80 but apparently that translates to £80 now so gently caress it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh SA went back to not displaying £ properly.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

I was okay with $80 but apparently that translates to £80 now so gently caress it.

it says a lot that i didn't even bother to convert it but just assumed it'd be the same number in pounds, haha

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

Like, no one that's buying the originals will care about the switch outside of collector's value. The reason they'd usually cost about that much on the VC is because they're pretty overpriced on there too. That being said, it's not an awful deal and I'm not saying that but it's not like these games are rare treasures and this thing is saving people 100s of dollars or anything. These are easy to pirate games that are only remotely hard to get legitamatly because Nintendo sucks at making that stuff available. It's not a bad deal but it's not really a great one either. It is what it is. Goons bitch too much and others defend Nintendo to readily no matter what they do.

You really think 6 dollars is too much for an old game?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Why the gently caress would anybody spend so much money on a Criterion Blu-ray of Metropolis featuring restored footage that people thought had been lost forever? That movie's like a hundred years old and for that much money you could get three months of Netflix and watch tons more movies.

Thank you but criterion movies are also overpriced. But I understand the sentiment

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
in almost every case on the SNES classic setlist, it's also a really loving good old game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Guy Mann posted:

You can easily buy or even rent blu-ray discs and play them on your Blu-Ray player which also plays other things. If Criterion made a proprietary geegaw that only played Fritz Lang films and would end up creating a 90% scalper market it would be dumb too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

You really think 6 dollars is too much for an old game?

I mean it's not terrible, but it's not an amazing deal or anything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm waiting to be disappointed by the N64 Classic which will be missing all the Rare games and will forget Ogre Battle 64. Jesus what would an N64 Mini even look like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Like a tiny n64.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Leaked video of GameCube Classic prototype

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i would buy a 64 mini if it came with a real working dd mini and a copy of the earthbound 64 game advertised and described in the pages of nintendo power

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
drat that gamecube gummies thing owns

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

super mario 64
star fox 64
paper mario
mario kart 64
smash bros
kirby 64
majora's mask
yoshi story