Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

For all the people making a joke out of those things, it's worth it for the few people who didn't know it was something they needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PMush Perfect posted:

For all the people making a joke out of those things, it's worth it for the few people who didn't know it was something they needed.
It was specifically designed for people with nervous energy, and was a niche toy for kids who were, say, on the spectrum, in the 90s

Then the internet found out about it last year

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is that true because I've only ever seen it claimed in pearl-clutching facebook posts mass-shared by concerned mothers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

EmmyOk posted:

Is that true because I've only ever seen it claimed in pearl-clutching facebook posts mass-shared by concerned mothers.
It's true. Fidget spinners aren't new.

They might as well be, however. Though the original patent for a spinning toy like the fidget spinner was applied for in 1993, it was completely obscure until the patent lapsed and the major toy companies started making versions of their own.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 26, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You'd think you people would be old enough to remember Yo-yo's and pogs.

It's the same fad deal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

You'd think you people would be old enough to remember Yo-yo's and pogs.

It's the same fad deal.
Except yo-yos and pogs didn't exist for over a decade beforehand being used for an actual purpose.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I have a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but... Why are the action scenes in the anime, for lack of a better word, dark? Does it have to do with the animation or is it just an odd stylistic choice?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a thing a lot of anime do in effect-heavy scenes to avoid seizures. They're not as dark on the BD.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RubricMarine posted:

I have a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but... Why are the action scenes in the anime, for lack of a better word, dark? Does it have to do with the animation or is it just an odd stylistic choice?

It's because of that Pokemon episode that gave kids seizures.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Except yo-yos and pogs didn't exist for over a decade beforehand being used for an actual purpose.

Are you sure about that?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Are you sure about that?

I googled this and it's basically untrue psychologists and occupational therapists have weighed in on fidget spinners for kids with ADHD. However a lot of them think it's probably worse than nothing, there's no actual studies done, and there function as a toy long predates their use as a therapeutic aide.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, ignore me, then. (I've always preferred fidget cubes anyways.)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
A lady at work got a fidget cube for her son and let us play around with it. I do not understand the appeal of those things at all. At least the spinners light up and provide a whoosing noise to go with their twirliness.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Well, uh, I meant pogs have a direct link to fish & sticks, but played with rocks, and yo-yos were used as weapons at one point.

But I dunno about spinners.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a fidget cube for my desk and it's great! I used to always tap my fingers together or tap my foot. Now I just roll the fidget cube or click it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The fidget quirk

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

That sports arc was frustrating. MHA has so many odd and interesting characters, and yet that arc focused on the antipode boy who barely reacts to anything and Exploding Hands Malfoy, who I want to see get cut down about fifteen times more. The show keeps acting like he's a dynamic and worthy protagonist when so far he's mostly just an rear end in a top hat.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He won the last popularity poll which baffled me but he's clearly well received by fans.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 29, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

psst emmy this is the anime thread oh you edited it

anyway bakugo owns

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit happened before i finished post lmao

bakugou is pretty neat when hes not straight up telling a motherfucker to kill heself

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am sorry pals I just realised it when I went back to my UserCP, I hope no one saw anything :saddowns:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bakugo's ok but he's a huge goddamn rear end in a top hat who one time got so mad he was basically using lethal force against a peer and he didn't really get punished for it.

Also the school should really consider giving him anger management classes. He needs them.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno what you're all talking about, Bakugo's been getting dunked on since entering UA

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be entirely fair after the events in the emergency response training dome this class needs a dedicated therapist

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
For me, Bakugo is an interestingly written character who is extremely unpleasant and whether or not you're up for dealing with that is entirely you. I think a rival character who suddenly has to completely double down on his dreams if he's deadset on being #1 Hero. His outrage at the end makes total sense. By no intention of his own, Todoroki was the first person to directly knock the wind out out of Bakugo's sails. Midoriya had shown him up just before, but Todoroki proves it wasn't a fluke. And then he finally gets the chance to fight the ace in the class, Todoroki rightfully can't be bothered to put his heart into it. To Bakugo, his victory proves nothing, he's made no progress since that tearful speech to Midoriya that he'd become number one.

Kinda like Shinso, your quirk sorta defines how you look at the world, not only is Bakugo's extemely powerful, but it doesn't really have a peaceful option, so like, why should he? Combined with almost everyone in this Superhero Focused Society telling him how strong he is, it makes complete sense why he is the way he is. Now the way he is, is not good, the kid needs therapy for sure, but I think Bakugo is such an interesting look at a realistic Vegeta like character. I haven't read too far ahead of where the anime is now, but I really hope Horikoshi keeps it up.

As for Todoroki, I feel he's pretty much always going to be the stoic one, and this whole arc was showing us why he's the stoic one, and as Todoroki says at the end, this is his Starting Line, his dream and character development start from now, and now is the most interesting time for his character. Todoroki is my personal favorite character, but if his struggle doesn't connect with you, then it just doesn't I think. For me it does, I want my sweet boy to do good and become who he wants to become. Todoroki Should Have Won

good manga

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

For me, Bakugo is an interestingly written character who is extremely unpleasant and whether or not you're up for dealing with that is entirely you. I think a rival character who suddenly has to completely double down on his dreams if he's deadset on being #1 Hero. His outrage at the end makes total sense. By no intention of his own, Todoroki was the first person to directly knock the wind out out of Bakugo's sails. Midoriya had shown him up just before, but Todoroki proves it wasn't a fluke. And then he finally gets the chance to fight the ace in the class, Todoroki rightfully can't be bothered to put his heart into it. To Bakugo, his victory proves nothing, he's made no progress since that tearful speech to Midoriya that he'd become number one.

Kinda like Shinso, your quirk sorta defines how you look at the world, not only is Bakugo's extemely powerful, but it doesn't really have a peaceful option, so like, why should he? Combined with almost everyone in this Superhero Focused Society telling him how strong he is, it makes complete sense why he is the way he is. Now the way he is, is not good, the kid needs therapy for sure, but I think Bakugo is such an interesting look at a realistic Vegeta like character. I haven't read too far ahead of where the anime is now, but I really hope Horikoshi keeps it up.

As for Todoroki, I feel he's pretty much always going to be the stoic one, and this whole arc was showing us why he's the stoic one, and as Todoroki says at the end, this is his Starting Line, his dream and character development start from now, and now is the most interesting time for his character. Todoroki is my personal favorite character, but if his struggle doesn't connect with you, then it just doesn't I think. For me it does, I want my sweet boy to do good and become who he wants to become. Todoroki Should Have Won

good manga

The sports day was a really great display of how much your Quirk defines you but also how much peoples perception of your Quirk defines you, I believe in my strong boy Shinso. Also Bakugo's shithead nemesis from Class B rules.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Also Bakugo's shithead nemesis from Class B rules.

Yeah, I loved him peeking over the wall all like "Looks like Class A ain't all that, huh, huuuuh?" before getting dragged off by his embarrassed classmate.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Bakugou has two really important things in the sports arc that show that he's not just a boring, one-dimensional rear end in a top hat.

First, his fight with Uraraka shows that despite his complete rear end in a top hat demeanor, he holds a massive well of respect for others' abilities. He would never engage Uraraka in polite conversation or act like her friend, but think about their fight; everyone in the audience except Aizawa, even Uraraka's friends, assumed that she was a helpless little girl with no hope of victory and he was simply bullying and abusing her. That scene is actually amazing, because Bakugou of all people is the one who is giving Uraraka the benefit of the doubt and acknowledging that she's skillful and dangerous enough to be wary of.

Second, his fight with Todoroki and the result is super important because it plays on the other positive factor of Bakugou's personality. He's an arrogant, abrasive dickhead who thinks he's better than everyone else, but he wants to earn that self-superiority fair and square. Just winning and being called number one is meaningless; it has to be something that he won with blood, sweat, tears, and effort to be worth anything to him. Todoroki basically throwing the match drove Bakugou into a rage not just because he wanted a good fight or whatever, but because it pretty much spat on all of Bakugou's efforts in the tournament up to that point and made all of his successes totally hollow. He can't prove to himself that he deserves to be so smug and superior if he wins on a technicality or because his opponent gave up halfway through.

He's not really meant to be a likeable character, but I think he's really well done.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno if i'd say he has a massive respect for people's abilities or anything but he takes things seriously. If the person he's fighting treats it just as seriously he'll respect that (unless it's Deku). Which is a big reason he explodes at Todoroki because the guy wasn't fighting seriously he was holding back. Which when combined with the fact he fought seriously against Deku of all people means Bakugo snapped.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Power stealing/copying characters are always cool and Monoma is no exception. I like that they establish he's genuinely smart, just a huge ego that kinda annoys his peers

e: Bakugo def recognizes the talents of others. He sees Todoroki won the Heroes vs. Villains game instantly and that he really can't compare to that, also that Yaoyorozu is intelligent and right as she quickly breaks down every gently caress-up they made in their round. He regrets that it's true, but he still acknowledges it. Even mid-fight, he commits Uraraka's name to memory after calling her Round-Face, despite still not knowing Kirishima's name, the only dude who talks to him willingly

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 30, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

That sports arc was frustrating. MHA has so many odd and interesting characters, and yet that arc focused on the antipode boy who barely reacts to anything

bakugo is one thing, but todoroki has a great character arc that caps off with him getting so riled up he and deku blow up the arena

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah i can understand not being into bakugo but saying the arc was focused on him is weird, other characters got plenty of screentime and it introduced some fun new peeps like tetsutetsu tetsutetsu and hatsune mei

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

bakugo is one thing, but todoroki has a great character arc that caps off with him getting so riled up he and deku blow up the arena

That was legitimately great. It just felt odd, I guess, for the story to continue on with him half-assing the rest of his matches. Gotta agree with Moltrey- Todoroki should have won; it would've felt more like a full arc for him to realize he can use his powers as he wants, under his own terms, and still accomplish things while simultaneously dunking on Bakugo who needs some more dunking on.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Todoroki should have won; it would've felt more like a full arc for him to realize he can use his powers as he wants, under his own terms

The point is that he's not there yet. One anime protagonist speech doesn't fix a lifetime of abuse.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've understood it as that Todoroki needs to start mentally (having his mother back in his life, forgiving her) on his right path first rather than physically (personally knowing that he's not his father, he's not at a fault for anything and using his fire side for himself). He'd rather start a new relationship with his mother first, before using his fire side again. In a way, choosing to ask for permission rather than beg for forgiveness.

All Might hugging Todoroki after is the best imo. All Might knows that this kid was engineered his entire life to knock him off the pedestal, but All Might knows that's just not who Todoroki is, even saying that he gets the same feeling from Todoroki that he does from Deku. buncha good boys that need to be reminded, You Can Become A Hero

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

The point is that he's not there yet. One anime protagonist speech doesn't fix a lifetime of abuse.

Agreed. It would have felt weaker to me if he'd been like "everything is wavy gravy now get dunked, pal". It made a lot more sense to me that his mind was a maelstrom trying to decide what was right and what was wrong.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i want to learn more about the guy from class B who looks like a skeleton

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If all of Todoroki's issues were solved by Deku egging him into using his fire side one time, it would make Todoroki a really boring and bad character.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanos posted:

If all of Todoroki's issues were solved by Deku egging him into using his fire side one time, it would make Todoroki a really boring and bad character.
Of course! He's gotta slug him in the face first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

i want to learn more about the guy from class B who looks like a skeleton

Guy has quicksand powers. No, I don't know how they're related. He's still neat though.

• Locked thread