Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
In Goatwood we believe that the lazy ones taste the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's not just schedule the weed every couple of days, schedule the weed every couple of days if mood is below average. If your mood is always below average when that next weed allowance hits, fix your mood infrastructure. Otherwise the person with chronic pain having a lovely day or the person who walked by the abrasive guy too often will self medicate once a week or so and tolerance never even becomes a consideration.

You can just do the mood requirement too but then your feedback that mood is cratering is when everyone has a carcinoma which is a little late to work on your mood infrastructure.

Weed and beer is also awesome to dose your bedridden patients because it can be a combo of a mood boost because you get the drug mood boost , pain killing which should knock the pain malus down a tier, plus fills the joy bar which can be hard to manage in an infirmary until you get TV's or whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I continue to suggest that if you imagine that your planet is actually a prison planet for reality tv contestants, hand selected by glitterworld governments for being completely socially dysfunctional, the game makes a lot more sense.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
I'm trying out the Discovery and Recon mod cause it sounds interesting, is it the mod that adds the nuclear fallout event? Because that one is absolutely brutal on a cold map in the winter. I have nowhere to plant that many psychoid plants and now all my colonists have brain carcinomas :\

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

OwlFancier posted:

I continue to suggest that if you imagine that your planet is actually a prison planet for reality tv contestants, hand selected by glitterworld governments for being completely socially dysfunctional, the game makes a lot more sense.

this makes way more sense than whatever bs paragraph your selected start pops up with

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OwlFancier posted:

I like this premise. It also better explains the random human leather drop pods

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mammon Loves You posted:

I'm trying out the Discovery and Recon mod cause it sounds interesting, is it the mod that adds the nuclear fallout event? Because that one is absolutely brutal on a cold map in the winter. I have nowhere to plant that many psychoid plants and now all my colonists have brain carcinomas :\

Nope, fallout's vanilla.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm extremely proud to have played 475 hours of rimworld without a single mod :tipshat:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Efexeye posted:

i'm extremely proud to have played 475 hours of rimworld without a single mod :tipshat:

you masochist

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Nope, fallout's vanilla.

Radioactive fallout, not toxic fallout. Its gotta be from the mod, you have to caravan across the map and plant 250 psychoid plants at the source of the fallout to absorb the radiation else it never goes away. Also being under a roof doesn't negate it. Really unbalanced as it generated the source of the radiation in a tundra tile and I opted to just start a new colony.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mammon Loves You posted:

Radioactive fallout, not toxic fallout. Its gotta be from the mod, you have to caravan across the map and plant 250 psychoid plants at the source of the fallout to absorb the radiation else it never goes away. Also being under a roof doesn't negate it. Really unbalanced as it generated the source of the radiation in a tundra tile and I opted to just start a new colony.

You should presumably be able to disable that event in the scenario settings if it's integrated as a normal event.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Thefluffy posted:

you masochist

even on 'some challenge' i cannot win a permadeath game

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Efexeye posted:

even on 'some challenge' i cannot win a permadeath game

Not sure which story teller you are using but if you want a easy start go with phoebe chillax until the raids start getting too big then switch over to Randy random. I play on rough but those settings let me get established before any of the real nasty events started firing. It was the only way my sorry rear end could get a good base going in the crash landed scenario.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 25, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mammon Loves You posted:

Dev mode 'end game condition' for dumb poo poo like that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Phoebe is usually regarded as harder because raids are such a good income source and beside outlier amounts of wealth, time scales the raids harder than your overall wealth so any wealth you can get and put towards infrastructure, armor and turrets is a net plus.

Cassandra is probably the easiest way to play through a rocket oriented game, Cassandra -> Randy for endless projects. Full Randy when you're ready to deal with out of depth stuff to luck out on wealth influx events to catapult into the meat of an endless game ASAP. Phoebe I guess if you detest the combat so much you'd rather have less material to work with to prepare for the same amount of negative non-combat events you'd get from Cassandra.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Do walls not provide beauty anymore? I'm not see beauty stats on any stone or steel walls, but it may just be one of my mods.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mammon Loves You posted:

My mistake! Also hahaha okay that's hosed up

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

LLSix posted:

Do walls not provide beauty anymore? I'm not see beauty stats on any stone or steel walls, but it may just be one of my mods.
They don't, but rough walls provide negative beauty and expensive walls provide positive wealth (which does matter for impressiveness of dining/bed/rec rooms)

One relatively simple trick if you're making a mega-dining/rec hall is to put a single gold/silver pillar in the middle to help hold up the roof.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Wait how do you make walls? Mod?

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

creatine posted:

Wait how do you make walls? Mod?

Stone cutting to make bricks (build a stone cutting table which you can find in the production tab). Then make use the structure tab to make stone walls.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

I wear no mask. :cthulhu:

that date.

NEVER FORGET

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ahahaha I had missed that :911:

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Stone cutting to make bricks (build a stone cutting table which you can find in the production tab). Then make use the structure tab to make stone walls.

In the early game you can also make them from wood or steel (or gold or uranium or whatever)

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Oh, duh. I thought there was a way to like, tile walls like you can with floors

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The default constructable wall does not have a concept of beauty so none of the beauty modifiers will do anything to it, if you add one to it in the thing definitions, it will use the same stuff modifiers as anything else and you can make attractive looking walls.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Been browsing some mods for my next game and came accross one that i havent seen mentioned that would help with pawns that dont do jobs. Theres a brainwash mod that sounds like it might be a balanced and interesting way of dealing with it instead of just removing it. You can remove these traits or add skill points but there is a chance you will leave them brain damaged. It uses a new drug and too much of the drug also causes brain damage so it has a limited amount of tries as well. I guess you could also make an army of dumb and slow peons that are easy to knock out too lol.

Anybody tried the psychology mod? Adds more in depth pawn interactions with each other. Its still not updated for a17 wondering if its worth keeping an eye on.

E:sirry brainwashing causes altzhiemer's not brain damage.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 26, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cult mod has an option to shuffle backgrounds and get rid of incapability :black101:

Psychology is good too, looking forward to seeing it updated.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How many turrets should I plan on building to deal with a poison ship? It just had to crash in the middle of winter in the far corner of the map.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LLSix posted:

How many turrets should I plan on building to deal with a poison ship? It just had to crash in the middle of winter in the far corner of the map.

this entirely depends on how hard the storytellers are hitting, unfortunately. you can have 3 mechanoids come out of a ship, or you can have 12+. it all depends on how hard you're being hit at the moment.

that said, two per every three mechanoids you expect is reasonable. estimate by slightly highballing the last pirate raid you had. so if the last pirate raid was 6 guys, bargain on 7 mechanoids. this will almost always lead you to overestimate, but considering how serious a threat psychic and poison ships are you do NOT want to be caught with your pants down.

anyway, mechanoids have lovely aim, so put the turrets a good 8-10 squares away from the ship and behind some sandbags and you should be alright. don't line them up right next to each other, though, otherwise a shot that misses one turret could hit another out of pure luck. i'd space them about 3 or 4 apart, put a wall behind them, and give them a good line of sandbags in front of them.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Coolguye posted:

this entirely depends on how hard the storytellers are hitting, unfortunately. you can have 3 mechanoids come out of a ship, or you can have 12+. it all depends on how hard you're being hit at the moment.

that said, two per every three mechanoids you expect is reasonable. estimate by slightly highballing the last pirate raid you had. so if the last pirate raid was 6 guys, bargain on 7 mechanoids. this will almost always lead you to overestimate, but considering how serious a threat psychic and poison ships are you do NOT want to be caught with your pants down.

anyway, mechanoids have lovely aim, so put the turrets a good 8-10 squares away from the ship and behind some sandbags and you should be alright. don't line them up right next to each other, though, otherwise a shot that misses one turret could hit another out of pure luck. i'd space them about 3 or 4 apart, put a wall behind them, and give them a good line of sandbags in front of them.

I'm using Randy Rough right now and at the time I was having raids of pretty decent size (7 - 8 guys) mostly tribal. I had a poison ship fall right after and only one worm popped out, guess I got lucky!

Speaking of getting lucky, I just opened up one of those tombs with the cryosleep chambers. Not only were there no Mechanoids when I open the coffins 4/6 pawns were still alive but downed, so being the good natured colony we are I had my dudes rescue all of them. When they came to they all decided to join up with the cause! At the same time my warden finally managed to recruit one of my long term prisoners so I got 5 new colonists all at once! It was pretty surprising considering I already had 10 pawns when I cracked open the tomb. Time to start cranking out some more assault rifles! :getin:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tribals come in much greater numbers than pirates due to their neolithic equipment, which is why i specified pirates. raids of 8 tribals are really quite small and would probably be no more than 3-4 pirates, potentially only 2. still, only one centipede out of that is a very pleasant surprise. gently caress shipfalls, seriously.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Coolguye posted:

tribals come in much greater numbers than pirates due to their neolithic equipment, which is why i specified pirates. raids of 8 tribals are really quite small and would probably be no more than 3-4 pirates, potentially only 2. still, only one centipede out of that is a very pleasant surprise. gently caress shipfalls, seriously.

Yeah, I'm getting much heavier raids now and mainly pirates these days.

This was my most recent infestation (3 hives I had to deal with immediately due to them breaking my walls and destroying my potato fields):

Notice the small wall of exposed stone due to laziness, luckily I had the firepower to deal with it without injuries. I'm sure my next fallen ship is going to be a poo poo show.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if you're not using that little scrap of overhead mountain for anything, i'd encourage you to just fill it in with some stone walls there and be done with it. it's not a significant part of your main base and i'd argue the threat of infestation that close to your home isn't worth the benefit you're reaping from it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 26, 2017

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Coolguye posted:

if you're not using that little scrap of overhead mountain for anything, i'd encourage you to just throw some stone walls there and be done with it. it's not a significant part of your main base and i'd argue the threat of infestation that close to your home isn't worth the benefit you're reaping from it.

Yeah after the infestation I mined out that wall and replaced it with a granite one. I will have to remember to wall off that little area just south of that room which is probably the overhead mountain you are talking about thanks for pointing that out.

e. Can you just deroof areas of overhead mountain if you've mined out all the rock?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Uhhh, no. It's a mountain.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think you can where it says thin rock roof or whatever, had a few guys removing some roofs I don't remember putting up. Overhead mountain though is permanent. Maybe something in dev mode? All kinds of crazy commands in there.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Uhhh, no. It's a mountain.

Someone mod in TNT. Or one of these things.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah after the infestation I mined out that wall and replaced it with a granite one. I will have to remember to wall off that little area just south of that room which is probably the overhead mountain you are talking about thanks for pointing that out.

e. Can you just deroof areas of overhead mountain if you've mined out all the rock?

Someone mod in TNT. Or one of these things.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14177.0

Granted the A17 version is under construction, but he does have a roof bomb mod

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Azhais posted:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14177.0

Granted the A17 version is under construction, but he does have a roof bomb mod

Thanks I will have to throw that in my mod list for my next colony. Until then I guess I will just have to shrink my excess storage stockpile room to take it outside of the overhead mountain.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice

LLSix posted:

This idea never even occurred to me! I've just been throwing pawns at them, grenades work decently but my dudes get pretty hosed up.

Last time I had a ton of friendlies on the map and they happily sacrificed themselves to finish off the mechanoids. Healing the survivors gave me a bunch of free influence with their faction too so it sort of worked out.

I'm dumb because I recently built some turrets in the desert to pick off elephants and rhinos for free meat and I never thought to use the same idea.

I'm learning a lot from this thread, thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've said it before, but it always bears repeating: Any fighting you can do with turrets, you SHOULD do with turrets. If a pawn gets hit, they require a bed, medicine, and prayer to get better. The last one in the hopes that they don't get an infection from their wounds. If a turret gets hit, it requires some dork with the Construction labor enabled to make welder noises for 15 minutes. If a pawn gets hit hard, they could require anything from expensive prostheses to a hole in the ground and entire labor re-alignment to kinda sorta handle. If a turret gets hit hard, they require 170 steel and 3 components to be good as new. I don't care how much you don't like a turret's accuracy or its damage profile. It does damage and eliminates threats at practically no risk to you. Use them. Love them. Never let them go.