Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
One of the top players in our area is, almost certainly coincidentally, also selling most of his stuff, taking a break from WMH and playing Magic. I had a good chat with him weekend before last and although he said that SR2017 didn't sit well with him and he wasn't thrilled with CID, the main thing seemed to be that after several years of being constantly prepping WMH at a high level, travelling to events, and playing more games than I can really get my head around, he's just ready to Not Do That for a while.

For high-level competitive players, I suspect that's probably inevitable.

There's things I'm not in love with about the game as it stands from the scrub tier, but I still want to play and taken as a whole the scene around here appears as stable as ever.

And if you hate SR2017, there's no real reason why you couldn't, say, just keep playing SR2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Bee posted:

I mean, when a game's advertising seems to heavily revolve around its competitive nature, it seems understandable that people are going to more aware of the opinions of competitive players.

Yeah, but it's a pretty standard mistake to think it's any more valuable to the average player. I think there are zero people here who play anywhere near on that level, so why does what matters at the top level even affect us? I think a decent amount of this is just funk from the top end having their game changed/ruined, followed by the rounds of complaining, are just dragging down the average game for the average guy a lot more than it should.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Steamroller is effectively part of the rule set for a lot of people, and as with every other ruleset change, the cost of continuing to use last years rules makes it an unviable option for many/most people. For instance, if you're primarily a competitive player, there's really no way to avoid SR2017.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, but it's a pretty standard mistake to think it's any more valuable to the average player. I think there are zero people here who play anywhere near on that level, so why does what matters at the top level even affect us? I think a decent amount of this is just funk from the top end having their game changed/ruined, followed by the rounds of complaining, are just dragging down the average game for the average guy a lot more than it should.

I guess to a degree, it could be seen as a bad omen. Like, if someone with way more investment and success in a game drops out, it makes people wonder if their own investment is going to hold up enough.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
That happens every day though in everything. If a football pro says they're done do we all abandon that sport?

Its a bit apples to oranges but the average joe doesn't play nfl. Sometimes people get good or get lucky then get known. When they drop doesn't mean my preferred games is any different.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Whoever that is has no bearing on the average player. Not seeing why the sky would be falling. Seems silly.

But when lifecoach left hearthstone for Gwent Stefani it was ruined forever!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Post CID battle engine appear to be up on the card website.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Bee posted:

I guess to a degree, it could be seen as a bad omen. Like, if someone with way more investment and success in a game drops out, it makes people wonder if their own investment is going to hold up enough.

Having dealt with the derangement of mtg second hand market for most of my life I'm going to take issue with the word investment being thrown around for a game where selling back things at a massive loss is the norm.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Having dealt with the derangement of mtg second hand market for most of my life I'm going to take issue with the word investment being thrown around for a game where selling back things at a massive loss is the norm.

Okay, that's a really good point. I was thinking time and emotional investment, but that's probably the wrong word considering what you said.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The bigger issue is that there is a generally negative atmosphere around WMH and Tom Guan leaving may, or may not, be symptomatic of the negativity. I think the best approach going forward is to acknowledge that PP has made controversial changes that many people don't like and then trying to help those people maintain enjoyment of the game. Ignoring or trying to denigrate the negativity will only force those people further away.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

:laffo:

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like they're going to make theme lists available for free a month after release on the website, which is a nice change.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Its almost like CID is an attempt to get positive player involvement an actual feed back from the wide pool of players rather than the top few. An then they get negged for it.

People quit games. PP had a poo poo start with mk3 an they are adjusting. It takes time. Hell I am willing to best mk1 into mk2 people threw fits an quit too.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Forzelt posted:

The bigger issue is that there is a generally negative atmosphere around WMH and Tom Guan leaving may, or may not, be symptomatic of the negativity. I think the best approach going forward is to acknowledge that PP has made controversial changes that many people don't like and then trying to help those people maintain enjoyment of the game. Ignoring or trying to denigrate the negativity will only force those people further away.

Ok but why are we playing a dead game though?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

People can have perfectly good reasons for quitting, it's not automatically 'throwing a fit.' The game changed a lot from MK2 to MK3, and it's going to be changing a lot again with the move to SR2017. People are going to leave, and just because they leave doesn't mean we should ignore their opinions. Particularly because I suspect a lot of people right now are heading to Warhammer 8th and will probably be looping back around in a year or so.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 26, 2017

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I dunno, it's closer to "investment" than MTG is. If you play standard, you're dropping a hefty chunk of change every 3-6 months to keep up, with no guarantee that those same cards will be viable in eternal formats. Unless you hit that sweet spot right before they rotate out of standard, your cards go from "hot" to "a few dollars unless someone breaks it in Modern". Even draft is 50+ a month if you go to every FNM. And if you play eternal formats, the buy-in is huge unless you're going with something like RDW, and any new cards that are eternal viable are going to command high prices.

With tabletop games, I at least know I can play everything in the "main" format from when I buy it until the company finally folds and interest dies. Sure, if I get out before that endpoint I'll end up selling for much less than I paid, but I don't see it as too much different from MTG in getting out, and more importantly it's a smaller investment over time (for me, at least).

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Because we're all table top gamers. Dead games are basically our versions of fedoras and scarfs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There's more to Tabletop at least, because even if it's a dead game you can still get some enjoyment from the modelling aspect (if you're one of those people).

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Pyrolocutus posted:

With tabletop games, I at least know I can play everything in the "main" format from when I buy it until the company finally folds and interest dies. Sure, if I get out before that endpoint I'll end up selling for much less than I paid, but I don't see it as too much different from MTG in getting out,

That and we get all our fancy toys when were done too, with the painting personalization.

Better deal that cardboard scraps.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Is all it takes for a game to be dead now is some top end player to quit? If that was true, everything's been dying forever.

40K 8th is probably doing a bit to syphon off some players, but I doubt that it will stay that way forever. I rather enjoy playing beer & pretzels 40K, but it has zero real depth to it, same as AoS. It's not a real criticism, but these games are operating in very different places in the tabletop gaming arena. I rather like that Warmachine is a think man's game, same as I like it with WFB back in the day. 40K has interesting background stuff and figures, but doesn't actually do much to scratch that itch.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Lol

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
Downloaded the update for War Room and it's now completely unusable.

Game is ded. RIP.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

counterspin posted:

Post CID battle engine appear to be up on the card website.

And in warroom. Time to start playing warmachine again! Holy poo poo they gave the siege crawler a 1 point discount and it can remove stealth what trhe gently caress hahahaha

Pyrolocutus posted:

I dunno, it's closer to "investment" than MTG is. If you play standard, you're dropping a hefty chunk of change every 3-6 months to keep up, with no guarantee that those same cards will be viable in eternal formats. Unless you hit that sweet spot right before they rotate out of standard, your cards go from "hot" to "a few dollars unless someone breaks it in Modern". Even draft is 50+ a month if you go to every FNM. And if you play eternal formats, the buy-in is huge unless you're going with something like RDW, and any new cards that are eternal viable are going to command high prices.

With tabletop games, I at least know I can play everything in the "main" format from when I buy it until the company finally folds and interest dies. Sure, if I get out before that endpoint I'll end up selling for much less than I paid, but I don't see it as too much different from MTG in getting out, and more importantly it's a smaller investment over time (for me, at least).

It's a matter of perception and attitude. And the people I hung around with didn't play standard. But for example in the draft limited format people will talk about how much money they opened in the packs when its only worth that much in other cardboard

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It's not really a surprise he's dropping the game if he's gonna do Magic professionally. You wouldn't have time for another game. Dunno if that part's actually accurate or not yet, of course. Besides, sooner or later, a lot of the tournament personalities for any given game are going to have to drop off unless they just never want to change their lives or have a family or whatever.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
All of the CID stuff making it through unscathed has given me some hope for Dark Host. Was expecting it to be destroyed in internal playtesting.

Edit: just saw Necrosurgeons lost vet leader. Boo.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 26, 2017

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

lokipunk posted:

All of the CID stuff making it through unscathed has given me some hope for Dark Host. Was expecting it to be destroyed in internal playtesting.

Edit: just saw Necrosurgeons lost vet leader. Boo.

But they can return stitch Thralls (and carrion/bile Thralls), so now your opponent has to wipe out the unit or you can get your corpse nodes back.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

CaptCommy posted:

But they can return stitch Thralls (and carrion/bile Thralls), so now your opponent has to wipe out the unit or you can get your corpse nodes back.

I had not caught that yet. This is pretty good.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I had recently gotten into cryx then had to set everything down. This is fantastic.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The AFG and Defenders changes made it through maybe WMH isn't a lost cause after all.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://conflictchamber.com/#c7201b_-0D7e0r0r6G6G6R0k6t7r0909hU

Trollbloods Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Kriel Company (CID)

!!! You are using a pre-release theme.

(Grissel 2) Grissel Bloodsong, Marshal of the Kriels [+27]
- Dire Troll Bomber [19]
- Dire Troll Bomber [19]
Fell Caller Hero [0(5)]
Fell Caller Hero [0(5)]
Troll Whelps [4]
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (min) [6]
Scattergunners (max) [14]
- Scattergunner Officer & Standard [4]
Trollkin Sluggers (max) [10]
Trollkin Sluggers (max) [10]
Trollkin War Wagon [16]

I wouldn't want to play this into serious jack spam, but this has got serious assassination potential, and can probably reliably shoot 1-2 heavies off the table per turn. Wish I could fit in the Runebearer, but I feel like the whelps are super important since Bombers are so fury starved.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The rhulic siege crawler has the new reinforcements rule but still only 24 hit points in war room, in guessing this is usual war room fuckery and not a last minute CID change? (Please!)

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

!Klams posted:

The rhulic siege crawler has the new reinforcements rule but still only 24 hit points in war room, in guessing this is usual war room fuckery and not a last minute CID change? (Please!)

It has 40 in my war room. Make sure you get the app store update or WR can't show the correct box count.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

okay i guess i'm playing Harbinger Double Bastions Double Vessel on Thursday.

Can't decide if a free Bastion Seneschal is worth playing in the Exemplar Tier since I'd lose the Hierophant, but I'd have to swap the Crusader for a Dervish to get the Hierophant's points.

https://conflictchamber.com/#c2201b_-0E151U1r1LcY3t3t3t2q2qi8i8

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Exemplar Interdiction

(Harbinger 1) The Harbinger of Menoth [+24]
- Crusader [10]
- Devout [9]
- Vigilant [9]
Exemplar Bastion Seneschal [0(6)]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Exemplar Bastions (max) [16]
Exemplar Bastions (max) [16]
Vessel of Judgment (CID) [18]
Vessel of Judgment (CID) [18]

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I'm also seeing the old HP totals, I just figured they didn't know how to show that many boxes outside of a grid. Glad it's working for someone.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Go to the App Store and update war room from there. It'll fix the issue.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Except that for some people the updates loving up their warroom and making them reinstall it to get it to work.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

What fixed it for me was restarting my device.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone know of a rundown on the delta between the last round of playtesting and what got officially released?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

counterspin posted:

What fixed it for me was restarting my device.

For me installing the update from the app store didn't change it, but I realised I was looking at an army I'd built a while back, removing the battle engine and re adding it fixed it. I guess it was still showing me the old card because that's what I'd added to the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Amid all the negativity and chicken little game is ending posting, I'd just like to point out I am really happy about the siege animantarax becoming armor 20. That is all.

:toot: