Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's a couple games that emulate the ps1 wobble and they all look great, I hope it catches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm reading through the past 4 pages, trying to find anyone who's mad at the listed price. Not seeing any

A Nintenbot's head just can't process that people aren't excited by a re-release of 20+ year old games they've already played to death so they assume it must be the price that has all these cheapskates riled up.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah I think people are more annoyed that this might mean no SNES VC on switch anytime soon

but who can say with nintendo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

metal gear solid psx is a genuinely good looking game. love that style

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if all the games were also packed with a DLC code thing for your Switch that'd be nice

but won't happen because VC will never happen

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean i said the price was insulting but i wouldn't say i'm red mad and nude about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The VC already exists there's like 20 Neo geo games on switch

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chomp8645 posted:

A Nintenbot's head just can't process that people aren't excited by a re-release of 20+ year old games they've already played to death so they assume it must be the price that has all these cheapskates riled up.
you also assume, grandpa, that this is just for the olds and not also for parents with kids now who played them as a kid, so they want their kids to try them too, which was I assume the initial draw for the NES Classic(to get the kids dragged into NEStalgia early), but then they stopped making that because Nintendo is baffling

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

KingSlime posted:

yeah I think people are more annoyed that this might mean no SNES VC on switch anytime soon

but who can say with nintendo

Yeah, this is aimed at capturing the attention of a market that I'm not a part of, and if those people can be satisfied and not exploited by scalpers and scammers, then great I guess.

But Nintendo convinced me to buy their newest console this year and they have somehow found a way to make me less happy with my purchase

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the controller cords are five feet hahaha

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

:eyepop:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Captain Invictus posted:

glad you understand!

I'm surprised the good captain is interested in a product that doesn't have goat asses on it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But Nintendo convinced me to buy their newest console this year and they have somehow found a way to make me less happy with my purchase

That is consistently part of the Nintendo Experience. My only remedy is to also have a PC/other consoles (which also let me down from time to time, though certainly not as frequently as the Big N)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

a console for ants

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

corn in the bible posted:

I'm surprised the good captain is interested in a product that doesn't have goat asses on it
While we all appreciate The Goatman, life simply does not revolve around that impossible rear end.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In other good nintendo news they're making mario postage stamps

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

E: I'm thinking of a texture warping issue, apparently.

I always heard it called z-fighting.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm pretty sure Lurdiak is talking about a different thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

excuse me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I had a Genesis growing up and so didn't get to play many classic SNES games unless I was over my friend's house or through emulation years later, so that re-release looks cool to me. I still probably wouldn't get it though just because we don't have any slots open on our TV to plug it in.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

The VC already exists there's like 20 Neo geo games on switch

That isn't VC, those are ports developed by a separate company. You can get them on ps4.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mother 3 confirmed for release in America on the GBA Mini in 2022.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

metal gear solid psx is a genuinely good looking game. love that style

There's something about the aesthetic of MGS1 that makes me like it more than its remake. I dunno, I think I just like everybody having vague, low-detail faces. Something about it just worked.

I'd like to see that style done in a newer game. I think the reason I liked the look so much was that it reminded me the most of the Shinkawa art the games use.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Guy Mann posted:

Mother 3 confirmed for release in America on the GBA Mini in 2022.

Finally. A handheld smaller than the GBA but larger than the GB Micro

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

So the controller length still sucks and it's still going to be a limited run. I guess there was no reason for them to learn a lesson from NES Classic but still.

I guess it could be worse. They are at least claiming that they're going to be making more (though the limited run means it's all the more likely about the same percent will be grabbed by scalpers), the controller cable is at least longer and at least it comes with two controllers so they learned something but not enough to really fix much

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

excuse me

It's okay, Luigi is just doing his brotherly duty and picking up the mail. Luigi does all the housework and chores.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

It's okay, Luigi is just doing his brotherly duty and picking up the mail. Luigi does all the housework and chores.

flag's up, he's doing delivery lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

So the controller length still sucks and it's still going to be a limited run. I guess there was no reason for them to learn a lesson from NES Classic but still.

I guess it could be worse. They are at least claiming that they're going to be making more (though the limited run means it's all the more likely about the same percent will be grabbed by scalpers), the controller cable is at least longer and at least it comes with two controllers so they learned something but not enough to really fix much

Here's my question. How much control over production stuff does NoA actually have? I know there have been instances in the past where NoA wants to do something but it is more or less out of their hands because NoJ hasn't heard anything and nobody at NoA would be willing to risk their positions by trying to change their bosses' at NoJ's minds. I'm talking about stuff like how it took so long for streetpass changes to get mad so that people in the USA could make better use of it.

Basically, are the complaints that people have in the US complaints that people had for the Japanese release, and is NoA even allowed to make any major changes outside of name and look of the classic consoles? It would explain a lot if NoA had little control over what they could do and NoJ's release went off just peachy so they wouldn't think to change anything up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I recently picked up Darkest Dungeon again, and they've done a bunch of updates since launch. For one, there are difficulty modes now. I don't think there's any shame in starting on the lower difficulty to get more a feel for how things work.

I got back into it because I bounced of FTL (which I had also played before) really hard. I want to love FTL. It's extemely my poo poo and I love most of the game. My problem with it is pretty fundamental though: In a game where a short stretch of bad luck at any time can be a game over, the gameplay should be quick. FTL's real-time combat mechanic makes it easy to end up in fights where nothing is happening except ever 11-15 seconds you shoot at the other ship and they shoot at you. You both have shields and you both have like 30% dodge. And whether you win or lose this fight, it's long and boring and tedious as hell. And so many factors of the game are luck, that it's easy to just get behind the economy curve and be hosed. The failure state of a run feels long and tedious and completely out of your control. Fun when you have some good luck, but not fun when you have some bad luck.

When I bounced of FTL, I still had a roguelike hankering, so I picked up Binding of Isaac: Rebirth again. I had also played it before, and it's a neat concept, but I don't really like it either. For a different, but similar reason than with FTL. I find the gameply of Isaac to be boring 80% of the time. Most of the rooms are straightforward and not that engaging to play. Then you get to a really challenging room, and it's fun, but whether you win or die, you're back to boring rooms. Now, it still plays very fast, so that gives it a plus of FTL, but I'm terrible at the game and I don't really care for the projectile physics which make it really hard to play the way I would play a twin stick shooter.

So, recognizing that half of my beef with Isaac was the controls, I remember Neon Chrome, which is actually a twin-stick shooter, and has a cyberpunk theme rather than a poopy baby theme. (don't get me wrong, Isaac is cool, it's just doesn't really work for me). Neon Chrome is perfect for me. I'm not great at it, but I don't have problems with the controls and it's never boring. Sometimes I run through a level like John Wick, and sometimes I die almost immediately.

Darkest Dungeon has similar RNG "issues" as FTL, but it doesn't have the same "forced passivity" that disliked about FTL. In Darkest Dungeon, rather than waiting for your laser to fire every 11 seconds hoping that it magically disables the enemies weapons before you die, you are constantly scraping and clawing for every shred of health and damage. It's much more engaged.

And furthermore, both Darkest Dungeon and Neon Chrome have a system of persistent upgrades, which means that if you wipe on a run, you aren't actually back to square one like you just installed the game. FTL and Isaac both have unlock-able characters, which is similar, but not the same.

So yeah, maybe I'm not cutout for "real" roguelikes, but I've found that these types of differences in "game feel" or "gameplay experience" really make a big difference for me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

flag's up, he's doing delivery lol

How nice of Luigi to fill in for Parakarry while he is on vacation

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[bravely, wokely] peach and luigi are dating

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Help Im Alive posted:

In other good nintendo news they're making mario postage stamps

I'm not seeing Bowser, Donkey Kong, Pauline or Daisy in this set, what a crock of poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I hope there's just some guy dressed up as the postman from the Zelda games delivering those.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Words about rouge-likes

Never heard of Neon Chrome before but gonna pick it up on this posts recommendation

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

[bravely, wokely] peach and luigi are dating

I tried to find the panel from the old super mario comics where Peach kisses Luigi but instead I found a million billion deviantart comics about luigi dating princesses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Macarius Wrench posted:

Never heard of Neon Chrome before but gonna pick it up on this posts recommendation

It's free on ps+ this month, if you have a ps4.

I'm really enjoying it. It's got a good variety of things, but it doesn't get as crazy as something like Binding of Isaac in terms of upgrades.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So if I'm understanding this response to the SNES classic correctly:

- it's dumb because it's got a bunch of old games you've played before and could be easily pirated
- it's also dumb because at 21 games, it doesn't have enough of the old games you've played before and could easily pirate, or doesn't have all the games you specifically want
- and this is coming from a forum full of people that regularly and proudly buy a game multiple times, at full price, to have it on whatever console you're currently playing the most

kinda sounds like some serious "the food is terrible, and the portions are too small" type poo poo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

raditts posted:

- it's dumb because it's got a bunch of old games you've played before and could be easily pirated
- it's also dumb because at 21 games, it doesn't have enough of the old games you've played before and could easily pirate, or doesn't have all the games you specifically want
- and this is coming from a forum full of people that regularly and proudly buy a game multiple times, at full price, to have it on whatever console you're currently playing the most

kinda sounds like some serious "the food is terrible, and the portions are too small" type poo poo

yeah, if the hypothetical person you imagined up there held all three of those opinions simultaneously they'd be a pretty big hypocrite

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

raditts posted:

It's almost like there are different people with different points of view communicating about those perspectives on a forum, and attempting to assign all those conflicting stances to a collective consensus would be a strawman of the highest order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

god drat it peppy stay in formation!!!

• Locked thread