Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Jeez that last cover is dreadful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The King in Yellow is my favourite part of all the things that were incorporated into the Lovecraftian mythos. I like it particularly because the original source material is weird and fragmentary, by an author who quickly left weird fiction behind, and it really doesn't square with a simplistic Giant Tentacled Monster reading of the Lovecraft mythos. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I threw some money at it but I'm not really expecting a product before 2020.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Delta Green: Holy poo poo the case officers handbook is huge. The copy only version dropped for backers and patreon supporters.

I also think the raid jackets shipped (which were my idea).

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Elendil004 posted:

Delta Green: Holy poo poo the case officers handbook is huge. The copy only version dropped for backers and patreon supporters.

Well gently caress, just found out about the jackets - didn't see them in the kickstarter comments or anywhere else but apparently they were advertised on reddit. I got a friend to bring me back t-shirts and patch from GenCon. I don't need a jacket at all, and have no idea when i'd ever wear it, being in the uk it's a bit over the top, on the other hand...

Edit: Also holy gently caress is the Delta Green Huge loving Book(TM) (Formerly known as the Case Officer's Handbook) dense and filled with stuff. There's 230 pages of GM-side stuff, from year by year events broken into sections, to full breakdowns of The Program and The Cowboys to a really nice take on the GOOs to Hypergeometery to Case Officer advice on how to run campaigns, to an adventure to...just so much stuff to take in.

It might hit 700 pages in layout.

PST fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 23, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

It is awesome :cthulhu:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PST posted:

I don't need a jacket at all, and have no idea when i'd ever wear it, being in the uk it's a bit over the top, on the other hand...

He's PISCES! Get him!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

gradenko_2000 posted:

He's PISCES! Get him!

Ohh come on, like your president doesn't totally have a badly assimilated Insect in his brain! We're all on the same side now!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PST posted:

Ohh come on, like your president doesn't totally have a badly assimilated Insect in his brain hair! We're all on the same side now!

:colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Plot hook idea: DG sees the influence of the mythos at the highest level of authority but after careful investigation its not hastur's touch just early onset dementia and decades of cocaine abuse.

I admit back when I ponied up three hundo for everything I was hoping for a tighter timetable, but sounds like this book will be worth the wait.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

PST posted:

Well gently caress, just found out about the jackets - didn't see them in the kickstarter comments or anywhere else but apparently they were advertised on reddit. I got a friend to bring me back t-shirts and patch from GenCon. I don't need a jacket at all, and have no idea when i'd ever wear it, being in the uk it's a bit over the top, on the other hand...

Edit: Also holy gently caress is the Delta Green Huge loving Book(TM) (Formerly known as the Case Officer's Handbook) dense and filled with stuff. There's 230 pages of GM-side stuff, from year by year events broken into sections, to full breakdowns of The Program and The Cowboys to a really nice take on the GOOs to Hypergeometery to Case Officer advice on how to run campaigns, to an adventure to...just so much stuff to take in.

It might hit 700 pages in layout.

I loved how casually SaucerWatch gets obliterated and the the joint Delta Green/MAJESTIC operation against the Karotechia the day before 9/11 is amazing.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Plot hook idea: DG sees the influence of the mythos at the highest level of authority but after careful investigation its not hastur's touch just early onset dementia and decades of cocaine abuse...

... unfortunately they still have to justify eliminating cabinet members genuinely warped by the Mythos, as well as burning through six digits worth of funds in equipment and relics. It falls on the team to cover everything up using nothing but their wits and a charge card with a maximum of $30 USD per purchase.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The jackets came about because I asked Shane if I could use the logo to get a one-off for myself (and to get a nice vector version of the logo) and he said hey actually folks might like that, can we make them and give you one at cost?

So it was pretty quick. It went up on facebook and reddit and it looks awesome.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That's cool.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah and it's a legit raid jacket, they had to go through the same folks who make tons of police and law enforcement jackets, so it feels authentic rather than just being a silk-screened windbreaker.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Oh man that is absolutely killer

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So for someone who is familiar with BRP and some previous CoC editions what are the main rules differences between the two of them and previous CoC editions. I know both of them modernized some what but I'm curious as to how much.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A few raid jackets available here https://shop.arcdream.com/collections/collectibles/products/delta-green-raid-jacket

They're also selling the misprint hosed up ones for 30 bucks, which honestly feels VERY delta green.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

A few raid jackets available here https://shop.arcdream.com/collections/collectibles/products/delta-green-raid-jacket

They're also selling the misprint hosed up ones for 30 bucks, which honestly feels VERY delta green.

quote:

These jackets were printed and delivered with the wrong ink for their fabric, so the text and seal have uneven coverage and sometimes look smeared. If you want your raid jacket to look as DIY and half-assed as so many Delta Green operations turn out to be, this is the option for you.

:allears:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Agent Napoleon's standard approach of "gently caress it, this is an insoluble, completely messed-up-rear end problem, blow it up/burn it down" was not "half-assed," it was thorough. :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

Oh goddamn this is so tempting.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Agent Napoleon's standard approach of "gently caress it, this is an insoluble, completely messed-up-rear end problem, blow it up/burn it down" was not "half-assed," it was thorough. :colbert:

Yeah but Agent Ruby here wanted to ""save"" the tome for ""further examination"". Fuckin' Program pukes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I gave Music From A Darkened Room's scenario a fair shake before I was like "gently caress this creepy-rear end mirror house. I call the EOD guy I know from the marines to pull it and make it look like a gas leak."

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I gave Music From A Darkened Room's scenario a fair shake before I was like "gently caress this creepy-rear end mirror house. I call the EOD guy I know from the marines to pull it and make it look like a gas leak."

Enjoy the news that the building is being rebuilt in six months time...

And then the news 12 months later

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

The jackets came about because I asked Shane if I could use the logo to get a one-off for myself (and to get a nice vector version of the logo) and he said hey actually folks might like that, can we make them and give you one at cost?

So it was pretty quick. It went up on facebook and reddit and it looks awesome.

I may have succumbed, and drat that shipping to the UK was expensive. $70 of stuff, $35 of shipping

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PST posted:

Enjoy the news that the building is being rebuilt in six months time...

And then the news 12 months later

Yeah that wasn't the best epilogue but what are you gonna do? You salt the earth as well as you can and hope for the best.

E: That scene in event horizon where cowboy curtis says "gently caress this ship. I am going to maneuver to stand off distance and launch tac missiles at her until I am satisfied she's destroyed?"

that would be my DG guy, in space.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 29, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy poo poo, I think that misprinted DG jacket was the fastest $30 I've ever spent.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I like that if you click on the tee shirt and want to see what's on the reverse you can't, because instead of a functioning product viewer they just took a screenshot of one that happened to include the "Zoom" and "Other Side" buttons. :allears:

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

moths posted:

Holy poo poo, I think that misprinted DG jacket was the fastest $30 I've ever spent.

Did you get yours? I'm so tempted but I am curious how the misprints look.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm so stoked: I'm running In Media Res at a local con next January. We have a private room, costumes, props, and the guy who does SFX and AV during his games is going to come and run crazy-assed lighting and music effects for us. I may figure out a way to record the whole thing if I can because it's going to be off the loving chain.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sionak posted:

Did you get yours? I'm so tempted but I am curious how the misprints look.

I did, the misprint is barely noticeable - it's just slightly uneven coverage. I'll get pictures up soon.

I'll likely order a second one and gift this to someone for Christmas, since I've successfully worked out down to Medium from Large. (Unless any of you goons want to trade a fresh medium for my unworn large jacket.)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
It's a sale!

quote:

DriveThruRPG's annual Christmas in July sale is now on, and for the next five days you can save 25% on over 250 Chaosium PDF titles!

This includes a very wide range of Call of Cthulhu releases, going way back, and including some 7th Edition releases. You can also save 25% on various BRP, HeroQuest, HeroQuest Glorantha, RuneQuest, Superworld, Nephilim and other Chaosium lines including assorted monographs. There is also 31 Chaosium fiction titles to choose from.

Here's your chance to save while filling that gap in your collection, reading a classic, or trying something new or different. However you parktake of the Chaosium DTRPG catalogue, enjoy!

Cheers from the team at Chaosium

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is CoC 7th Ed the current best one to jump into? I already have DG, but I wouldn't mind getting something from Chaosium to show my support

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

gradenko_2000 posted:

is CoC 7th Ed the current best one to jump into? I already have DG, but I wouldn't mind getting something from Chaosium to show my support

I'd say yes, but 6th is fine as well and has a wide array of support. 7th is closer to DG as well. The main difference is how it handles challenging rolls, and that it removed Know rolls and just assumes characters either know something or don't, which isn't a terrible change since it leaves it up to the Keeper to move things along.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
CoC is kind of a weird outlier among games in that it's editions really are editions, incrementally improving things, rather than the radical changes you tend to see in other games. I don't know how many other games actually mark editions with decimals. I would buy CoC 7 if I were going to play it soon, but dusting off my old 5.something would work fine.

That said, CoC isn't really my favourite system to play CoC. BRP is just alright.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Looking over the Delta Green books again. There's a huge difference between how many points the careers start off with (not including the baseline values the skills start off at.)

Anthropologist/Historian gets about 350. I compared it to Intelligence Analyst which is on at least 400. Computer Scientist/Engineer gets over 520…! What am I missing?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Halloween Jack posted:

CoC is kind of a weird outlier among games in that it's editions really are editions, incrementally improving things, rather than the radical changes you tend to see in other games. I don't know how many other games actually mark editions with decimals. I would buy CoC 7 if I were going to play it soon, but dusting off my old 5.something would work fine.

That said, CoC isn't really my favourite system to play CoC. BRP is just alright.

What's your go to?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Night's Black Agents cleans up most of the things about Trail of Cthulhu that I don't like. But really? Anything. CoC is just BRP, the game system equivalent of A4 printer paper, with some extra bits tack on. Any generic system that can accommodate a sanity system tacked onto it can do CoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yoshimo posted:

Looking over the Delta Green books again. There's a huge difference between how many points the careers start off with (not including the baseline values the skills start off at.)

Anthropologist/Historian gets about 350. I compared it to Intelligence Analyst which is on at least 400. Computer Scientist/Engineer gets over 520…! What am I missing?

Computer sci does have 1 less bond, which means that have more skills to compensate. Though that should only account for an extra 50 pts.

I only calculate about 420 depending on the pick 4 you take for computer scientists though, check your math?