Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Trying to track down a picture, I'm at work and I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get home and text me the brand name. It's just a really large ceramic peeler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Doc Walrus posted:

Trying to track down a picture, I'm at work and I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get home and text me the brand name. It's just a really large ceramic peeler.

I'm guessing it's a julienne peeler.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Here it is! It's an INTEY brand peeler.

And yeah, this probably isn't viable for anything except vegetables. I'll still try it and let y'all know how miserably I fail to cut a steak with a potato peeler. :haw:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Doc Walrus posted:

And yeah, this probably isn't viable for anything except vegetables. I'll still try it and let y'all know how miserably I fail to cut a steak with a potato peeler. :haw:

peelers work on skins bc they aren't interconnected muscle fibers. like if u overcooked a chicken breast and refrigerated it first you could maaayyyybe use a peeler on it but as has already been stated,

snyprmag posted:

Just slice the meat against the grain with a knife and you can get it thin and tender enough for a sandwich or wrap.

the way the peeler is designed i doubt you'd hurt yourself but you're just gonna make a mess of the meat if it works at all.

what i'd suggest is to slice the steak against the grain before cooking. you won't be able to cook it to a specific temp like with a steak but it'll be easier to use for wrapplications/sandwiches

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Doc Walrus posted:

Don't try it, it's ceramic, you are more likely to break it than anything else.

Anyway, if you want to make shaved steak then just use a knife and put the meat in teh freezer for a little while to let it partially freeze, with the meat very firm it's very easy to get clean, thin slices.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

AVeryLargeRadish, also everyone posted:

Don't try it, it's ceramic, you are more likely to break it than anything else.

Anyway, if you want to make shaved steak then just use a knife and put the meat in teh freezer for a little while to let it partially freeze, with the meat very firm it's very easy to get clean, thin slices.

Yeah you're right, I guess I'll just do it the normal way.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is there a particular cutting board that's good with 600f temps? If not I'll just sand down my maple when needed.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Six seasons and a movie!!

I just seasoned my Lodge griddle for camping this weekend. Six passes following Sheryl Canter's method. (High lignan Flax oil, 500degrees...)

Will report back if it was worth it. :)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm waffling between saute pan sizes. Several years ago I bought one which, after measuring the other day, seems to be 4qt, ~11". It's super cheap, I don't know what brand, and until it started warping a few months ago worked perfectly fine (teflon coated). I want to buy a nice multi-clad (or similar) pan and the price difference between a 4qt and 5qt pan seems to be pretty small, however my 4qt already had a way larger base than my stove burner. Outside of price is there a good reason to go for a 4qt over a 5qt pan?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Six seasons and a movie!!

I just seasoned my Lodge griddle for camping this weekend. Six passes following Sheryl Canter's method. (High lignan Flax oil, 500degrees...)

Will report back if it was worth it. :)

I picked up that exact same griddle last month and have been cooking on it nonstop with no pre-seasoning. I refuse to be a pawn of Big Seasoning.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

bongwizzard posted:

I picked up that exact same griddle last month and have been cooking on it nonstop with no pre-seasoning. I refuse to be a pawn of Big Seasoning.

And after a month, how's it been?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It's between these two, is there a reason to not go with the bigger one?
https://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Standard-Multi-Ply-Stainless-Steel-5-Quart/dp/B00421AYK4
https://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Standard-Multi-Ply-Stainless-Steel-5-Quart/dp/B01ATZE4K2

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Get the 11 inch.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

No, get the larger one unless you only have some sort of tiny electric burner (like 1/2 of mine are), otherwise 11-12 inch pans work for most things.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

And after a month, how's it been?

Still metal and heavy. I don't think I need to eat a grilled chicken sandwich for a long time now.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hello all! I was recently gifted a very nice cast iron skillet for our wedding. I have seen various handle slips/covers and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good one. The biggest divide seems to be silicon vs. clothe, and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I used it tonight with a oven holder I rubber banded around the handle and it seemed fine, but I would like something a bit easier to remove for when transferring to the oven.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've bought a few.

Fabric ones tend to have cumulative burn damage. It sizzles and is a little worrying.

Silicone ones feel sturdier but also a little more slippery.

I recommend using an oven mitt.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I don't bother with a handle cover, I just pull out a kitchen cloth or oven mitt. My sister has kids and does use handle covers though, and she likes the silicone ones.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

swickles posted:

Hello all! I was recently gifted a very nice cast iron skillet for our wedding. I have seen various handle slips/covers and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good one. The biggest divide seems to be silicon vs. clothe, and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I used it tonight with a oven holder I rubber banded around the handle and it seemed fine, but I would like something a bit easier to remove for when transferring to the oven.

Ive got a few of those Lodge cloth handle covers. I just slide them on when I want to move the pan and pull them off when I am not actively moving the pan. Or I use an oven mitt. Whatever is handy, including kitchen towels.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I don't bother with a handle cover, I just pull out a kitchen cloth or oven mitt.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I do, only with a side towel or a silicone trivet. Who the gently caress has time to gently caress around with putting booties on their skillet? And I say that as someone who's willing to devote a lot of time to booty.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just invest in lots of side towels. And make a point of always keeping the side towels near the stove dry so you don’t flash steam the palm of your hand.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I was gifted a few silicone handle covers and I use them from time to time, I can be careless drunk occasionally frequently when cooking . They're not as fiddly as some people are making them out to be and they might not look as cool as a side towel but :jerkbag: .

My recommendation is to buy one in person where you can feel it first, it should be somewhat thick and rigid and not squishy (yes, hardy har har). I can't find a picture of the one I like but this is one of mine that I don't recommend. https://www.amazon.com/ORBLUE-Silic...on+handle+cover

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Moving to Copenhagen Denmark and I get to buy a new gas stove and fridge. Top suggestions for either?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

Moving to Copenhagen Denmark and I get to buy a new gas stove and fridge. Top suggestions for either?

Get a La Cornue range and post lots of pictures.

Stuparoni
Nov 2, 2016

Just... hee hee
1. Is it worth buying a non-stick wok?
2. Is it worth buying a sticky wok with an electric glass-top stove?

I live in an apartment with a wooden floor and my kitchen vent is kinda gaijin, so my options for BTUs are limited.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Get a La Cornue range and post lots of pictures.

So something below bespoke would be nice

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Stuparoni posted:

1. Is it worth buying a non-stick wok?
2. Is it worth buying a sticky wok with an electric glass-top stove?

I live in an apartment with a wooden floor and my kitchen vent is kinda gaijin, so my options for BTUs are limited.

Imo no on both. You will warp a proper carbon steel a bit with the heat needed and it becomes worthless. Check my post history itt for a good wok burner if you want to use propane.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rust Martialis posted:

Make sure you know how much space you have to work with. Old European cities tend to have tiny apartments with 'compromise' solutions to modern appliances.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Murgos posted:

Make sure you know how much space you have to work with. Old European cities tend to have tiny apartments with 'compromise' solutions to modern appliances.

This is a new building, actually.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rust Martialis posted:

This is a new building, actually.

Doesn't mean it won't have a tiny kitchen. :frogbon:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This last week I bought a $30 carbon steel pan. Now I'm questioning if I'll ever have to buy a teflon style non-stick pan again. I don't see the downsides other than care, right?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Do people have opinions on saute pans vs frying pans? I'm a uni student and some housemates moving out took their cookware with them, so I'm looking for a general use thing to complement my wok and mini cast iron skillet. I feel like the high sides could be useful if I wanted to do braises in it, but I could just do those in the pot; the downside is actually finding something that hits the balance of uni student money and okay enough to work until I have money quality.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Currently sitting in a multi-hour line to get on a ferry to leave Lopez Island where we had an awesome camping trip.

Just want to report my seasoned Lodge griddle (Sheryl Canter specs... 6 times) performed flawlessly over my Everest 2 burner stove. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, etc... all cooked wonderfully and stuck minimally. (A little initial pancake burn because I didn't take I to account my new Everest Summit stove hit 20,000 BTU and I had it too high.)

I also pre-seasoned a new camping all-stainless steel sautée pan before I went camping and it was a joy to clean and cook on.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
ThermoWorks just started an Open Box sale on the Thermapen mk4. $76 each.

These are limited colors, units that were on demos, returned, refurbished or had minor cosmetic defects or damaged packaging. Got mine last year on a similar sale and had no issues other than packaging with slight damage to the corners.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

They literally just finished a 4th of July sale on Mk4 Thermapens for something like $79. They only came in red, white, and blue, obviously, but a brand new unit for a couple bucks more sounds better to be than an open box unit.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

The Midniter posted:

They literally just finished a 4th of July sale on Mk4 Thermapens for something like $79. They only came in red, white, and blue, obviously, but a brand new unit for a couple bucks more sounds better to be than an open box unit.
Absolutely true. Putting it out there in case anyone missed the 4th of July Sale. :)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget the 15 off 75 amex offer, would take that down to 62 bucks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Please pardon my ignorance, I recently moved so I'm doing a bit of research to see what type of kitchen equipment I need. I'm looking at frying pans / skillets at the moment and I can't really tell if a cast iron skillet can be used to "replace" a regular stainless steel one. From that the research I've been doing, it would be advantageous for me to get a frying pan that can go from the stove top to the oven if needed. Which led me to look at cast iron. I know that cast iron requires more maintenance when compared to their stainless counterparts. So, for the frying pan and deeper skillet, would it make sense for me to go strictly cast iron?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Please pardon my ignorance, I recently moved so I'm doing a bit of research to see what type of kitchen equipment I need. I'm looking at frying pans / skillets at the moment and I can't really tell if a cast iron skillet can be used to "replace" a regular stainless steel one. From that the research I've been doing, it would be advantageous for me to get a frying pan that can go from the stove top to the oven if needed. Which led me to look at cast iron. I know that cast iron requires more maintenance when compared to their stainless counterparts. So, for the frying pan and deeper skillet, would it make sense for me to go strictly cast iron?

Stainless steel pans can go into the oven with no problem. The only type of stovetop cookware I'd be hesitant to put in the oven would be nonstick.

I'd just stick with a quality tri-ply stainless steel skillet rather than have to deal with the weight, somewhat uneven heat distribution, and long heating time of cast iron. Don't get me wrong, cast iron is awesome and definitely has its purposes, but for everyday cooking I'd go stainless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What ever happened to that oven the Anova guys were teasing?