Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

A Strange Aeon posted:

What were the deals with the various goblins?

Green Goblin was the original, what was Hobgoblin? And wasn't there a Demogoblin or something too?

I wish other Spider-Man villains had the same weird doppelganger thing as Venom and Green Goblin.

The Vulture and a similar guy called the Buzzard and maybe a female version named Condor.

In the time period where both Norman Osborn and Harry Osborn were supposed to be dead a random dude found one of Norman's goblin equipment stashes. This dude told a friend who murdered that dude and began to use that equipment for himself as the Hobgoblin.

His true identity was supposed to be a Big Mystery but it got dragged on way too long and the writer left the book before revealing he intended it to be Ned Leeds. So meanwhile they had Ned Leeds get killed off in a random side event in a manner totally unfitting for someone who drank goblin serum and has superpowers. Then they waved their hands and said 'yes it's Ned Leeds anyway and he died like that because *mumble mumble* glad that's cleared up moving on please buy more comics'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Yeah, that's the first Hobgoblin. The second Hobgoblin was Jason Macendale, who was originally the supervillain Jack o' Lantern. Later he sold his soul to a demon in exchange for real demonic power instead of just stolen Osborn tech. This was achieved by actually grafting a demon onto his soul. Later, this demon was expelled from him by Doctor Strange but retained the goblin motif as Demogoblin.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Archie just wants to run a train on Veronica

Them why would he want the other guy to leave.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a kitten posted:

Not sure if funny or just rad, but it sure is Kirby.

:krad: as all gently caress

Benito Cereno posted:

Yeah, that's the first Hobgoblin. The second Hobgoblin was Jason Macendale, who was originally the supervillain Jack o' Lantern. Later he sold his soul to a demon in exchange for real demonic power instead of just stolen Osborn tech. This was achieved by actually grafting a demon onto his soul. Later, this demon was expelled from him by Doctor Strange but retained the goblin motif as Demogoblin.
Ok so what was Jack o' Lantern's deal because I know he used some other glider tech. Jesus the 80s and early 90s loved their Goblins.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Osborne was a business man, he knew a market opportunity when he saw one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Demogoblin tore himself free of Jason Macendale's body. In Web of Spider-Man 86 or so. Doctor Strange was not in that issue.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

So for those keeping track...

Batman: Watches Sailor Moon
Dr. Doom: Enjoys Star Trek and has at least watched Planet of the Apes
Dr. Strange: Cruises the internet to read hockey scores
Namor: Visits the surface world because of bagels and pizza and presumably Bagel Bites
Gorgon: Loves heavy metal
Akuma: Pretty good at selfies
Kingpin: Lord of the Rings

Superman: Noted fan of Metallica

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You guys are getting your Hobgoblin lore super wrong. It was always supposed to be Roderick Kingsley, but Roger Stern left before he could reveal it. Then Tom Defalco took over and thought Stern's way to explain Roderick in the same room as Hobgoblin (twin brother Daniel Kingsley) was kind of BS, so he decided it should be Richard Fisk instead. But DeFalco wanted to prolong the mystery as long as possible, and threw up clue after clue that it could be someone else. Unfortunately when conflict with the new Spider-man editor, James Owsley, came up, Peter David was instructed to do the reveal in his book, Spectacular, basically to spite DeFalco? The editor wanted Hobgoblin to be Foreigner, but Peter David was like "All the clues point to Ned Leeds, the reveal needs to make sense or the readers will be pissed." Then Owsley was like "Well I know that, and I killed him off in a one-shot on purpose because I'm a giant baby who hates Tom DeFalco". So Peter David threw up his hands and revealed that Ned Leeds was the Hobgoblin and dead, and came up with the whole Jason Macendale thing.

Comic books are really stupid.

E: Funny Panel.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 26, 2017

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Lurdiak posted:

You guys are getting your Hobgoblin lore super wrong. It was always supposed to be Roderick Kingsley, but Roger Stern left before he could reveal it. Then Tom Defalco took over and thought Stern's way to explain Roderick in the same room as Hobgoblin (twin brother Daniel Kingsley) was kind of BS, so he decided it should be Richard Fisk instead. But DeFalco wanted to prolong the mystery as long as possible, and threw up clue after clue that it could be someone else. Unfortunately when conflict with the new Spider-man editor, James Owsley, came up, Peter David was instructed to do the reveal in his book, Spectacular, basically to spite DeFalco? The editor wanted Hobgoblin to be Foreigner, but Peter David was like "All the clues point to Ned Leeds, the reveal needs to make sense or the readers will be pissed." Then Owsley was like "Well I know that, and I killed him off in a one-shot on purpose because I'm a giant baby who hates Tom DeFalco". So Peter David threw up his hands and revealed that Ned Leeds was the Hobgoblin and dead, and came up with the whole Jason Macendale thing.

Comic books are really stupid.

And then later Roger Stern came back and wrote a miniseries where he revealed that Roderick Kingsley was the original Hobgoblin and he brainwashed Ned Leeds to take the fall for him

Really, really stupid

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Spider-Mann 25

Spider-man 28

Spider-Man 30

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Addendum: James Owsley is the same person as Christopher Priest, which I did not realize before. Priest is not known for being a giant baby so it makes me wonder if there's more to the story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CzarChasm posted:

And his favorite is "And Justice For All" though even he can't hear a bassline.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Addendum: James Owsley is the same person as Christopher Priest, which I did not realize before. Priest is not known for being a giant baby so it makes me wonder if there's more to the story.

I'm pretty sure that it had something to do with the fact that Owsley/Priest was, what, 24-25 at the time and trying to ride herd on guys who had a lot more experience than him, and by his own admission had no idea what the gently caress he was doing or how to handle Marvel office politics.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Priest is a incredible writer as well. He's a baptist minister and a progressive Christian. He's very cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

James isn't even his original name unless the stories he and Jim Shooter tell are bullcrap.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zeeman posted:

And then later Roger Stern came back and wrote a miniseries where he revealed that Roderick Kingsley was the original Hobgoblin and he brainwashed Ned Leeds to take the fall for him

Really, really stupid

Called Hobgoblin lives and it's basically Roger masterbating to how cool Hobgoblin is.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Inter-office politics in comics is so weird. I just read "Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange: Triumph and Torment", which is great, and it also includes a Doctor Strange comic by Roger Stern where he reveals that a couple of X-Men characters don't really have magic powers because they were possessed by an evil wand, and it was apparently because he was annoyed that Claremont had written an X-Men comic where one of the characters totally punked Doctor Strange, so he decided to justify it that way and depower them. Then it turns out every X-Men writer completely ignored that story and kept the characters around as magic people.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Zeeman posted:

Really, really stupid

But it led to Hobgoblin having the gimmick that he'd get other guys to stand in and become Hobgoblin for him whenever he needed to take a fall. Which was sort of novel. And they expanded that to Hobgoblin being the business man who sold Supervillain brands to up and coming guys. ("Hey the Scorcher is currently dead. For a fee, I'll give you his costume and his IP.)

It also setup Hobgoblin's Sixis mini series where upon being inverted the Hobgoblin realises that selling villain IP's makes you bucks. But selling Hero IP's can make you big bucks. And it was great.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Axis was a wonderful event just for the Hobgoblin and Carnage minis that spawned from it.

(From AXIS: Hobgoblin #2)

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 26, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Disco just doesn't get any respect anymore.

Hulk will straight up murder you if you play it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jesus gently caress that's terrifying. A single layer of asphalt with no aggregate base? :stonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jesus gently caress that's terrifying. A single layer of asphalt with no aggregate base? :stonk:

So I see you've never been to Chicago.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

X-O posted:

And his favorite is "And Justice For All" though even he can't hear a bassline.

He only likes it because of the name. He, otherwise, has no idea about any of it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Johnny Aztec posted:

He only likes it because of the name. He, otherwise, has no idea about any of it.

Eh, I figure anything part of the 1994 run of Superboy ought to be taken with a grain of salt.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

Disco just doesn't get any respect anymore.

Hulk will straight up murder you if you play it.
sweet jesus hulk those men are dead! you crushed their lungs and organs for fruit pies!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pierson posted:

sweet jesus hulk those men are dead! you crushed their lungs and organs for fruit pies!

False. Hulk has never killed anyone. He clearly rolled the concrete just enough to trap them but not kill them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Hey Marvel guys it's great you're doing our Fruit Pie ads but the bosses always want you to plug our Ho-Hos."

"Can we make it subliminal?"

"Sure as long as it's eye-catching and looks like the product."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

"Hey Marvel guys it's great you're doing our Fruit Pie ads but the bosses always want you to plug our Ho-Hos."

"Can we make it subliminal?"

"Sure as long as it's eye-catching and looks like the product."

You're thinking of Swiss Cake Rolls.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who What Now posted:

You're thinking of Swiss Cake Rolls.
Ho-Hos are the Hostess version of the same thing. Swiss Rolls are Little Debbie.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
After this, let's argue about Hydrox and Oreos.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

prefect posted:

After this, let's argue about Hydrox and Oreos.

Hail Hydrox?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hydrox always sounded like a detergent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hydrox gets rid of tough stains, fast. Do not eat Hydrox.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How in this thread is the answer not Chocos?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

How in this thread is the answer not Chocos?

Because we're not drug dealers, jeez

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CzarChasm posted:

Well, he IS The Man of Steel...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Blue Superman prefer Ride The Lightning

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Shortly after Real Superman came back I remember him comparing some CD of Jimmy's to Shriekback. Now, I love Shriekback, but c'mon dude you have a mullet

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

Surely that would be The Sandman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Say Nothing posted: