Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

KickerOfMice posted:

Man, between this baby spice no-cameras fuckery, and the cloaked authorship of the health care bill, the entire administration and congressional R's are really acting more like rulers and less of representatives.

That's exactly what they think they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

One thing that's very important: currently, the Senate bill reduces the deficit by ~$200 billion more than the House bill (it cannot reduce it by less than the House bill). That's a big slush fund for McConnell to buy his way to 50 votes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I imagine the "15 million new uninsured by next year" is gonna make any senator up for reelection in 2018 more than concerned.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Post just dropped their CBO score article too. Pretty bare bones right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...7341_story.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think McConnell may have made a very serious error by not including his mandate replacement in the bill he sent to the CBO:

quote:

Effects on Health Insurance Coverage
CBO and JCT estimate that, in 2018, 15 million more people would be uninsured under this legislation than under current law—primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated. The increase in the number of uninsured people relative to the number projected under current law would reach 19 million in 2020 and 22 million in 2026. In later years, other changes in the legislation—lower spending on Medicaid and substantially smaller average subsidies for coverage in the nongroup market—would also lead to increases in the number of people without health insurance. By 2026, among people under age 65, enrollment in Medicaid would fall by about 16 percent and an estimated 49 million people would be uninsured, compared with 28 million who would lack insurance that year under current law.

That 15 million number would look a loooooooooooooooooooot better with their current "miss two payments and you're hosed" language, I bet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

22 million more uninsured

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Here's the full cbo report

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/879436523439108101

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Robot Hobo posted:

So, Rand could end up saving us from a bill designed to kill so many of us entirely because he's pissy at his party for not trying to kill even more of us.

... Yay for Rand I guess? I'm not really clear how to feel about that.

Rand is a way less awesome version of the T-Rex at the end of Jurassic Park. He's not on our side, but if he's stopping the immediate threat from literally killing us, then loving good.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Here lies 1% of the population of the United States of America
Birth-2018

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

evilweasel posted:

I think McConnell may have made a very serious error by not including his mandate replacement in the bill he sent to the CBO:

That 15 million number would look a loooooooooooooooooooot better with their current "miss two payments and you're hosed" language, I bet.

It actually is in there: the problem is the waiting period provision doesn't start until 2019.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I don't know how they could have made it much worse if they tried.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

evilweasel posted:

The house bill had the penalty and had 14 million losing it next year, didn't it?

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
That CBO score does not reflect merely death and suffering, it also reflects the practical collapse of medical care as an industry. If this passes, there will be layoffs overnight across multpile industries. Doctors, nurses, hospital admin, social workers, counselors and therapists, janitors, orderlies, insurance adjusters, my god.

This bill is recession that will hit immediately, and will devastate a load bearing pillar industry in a massive, cross-cutting way.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't know how they could have made it much worse if they tried.

Maybe let's not find out

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/879437378229866496

that's...a lot of medicaid cuts

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TGLT posted:

McMagic, I am not talking about "internal senate caucus politics". I am talking about anyone attempting to retaliate against Cruz for saying no. If it's McConnell, that poo poo is like rain on a loving raincoat. Hell that poo poo is like rainwater to a dam, it would just make Cruz more popular. And if Trump does go after Cruz like he's going after Heller, I still don't know that it actually has the disastrous effect on his popularity that you seem to think it would.

Also, you also don't have to "bet" about approval ratings. Trump's approval rating is at 85%. But again, this state voted for Cruz in the primary.

Here's a poll on Cruz's job approval compared to Trump's job approval with conservatives. It's not by much, and it's apples to oranges, but hardline conservatives have a higher approval of Cruz than Trump. And they all disapprove of his performance less than Trump's.

edit: fixed second link

Do I think Cruz could face a credible primary challenge? Probably not. But he definitely could depress turnout among Trumps fans in the general if he votes against Dear Leader since he'll be running on top of the ticket.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Looks like I was wrong on the CBO score being the tick tick tick (Unless Wittes is just late to the party). I'll own that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kylra posted:

Here lies 1% of the population of the United States of America
Birth-2018

If only it could be the so-called "top 1%" :allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Do I think Cruz could face a credible primary challenge? Probably not. But he definitely could depress turnout among Trumps fans in the general if he votes against Dear Leader since he'll be running on top of the ticket.

Cruz may face a primary challenge from Perry. Not really explicitly from the right or from the pro-trump wing, but basically "im a conservative but better and less slimy than cruz".

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

evilweasel posted:

most of the senate was on board with "by god, 23 million will lose insurance? that is a nightmare cbo score" so we are about to see some...interesting...statements that basically suggest 22 million is SO MUCH LESS than 23 million

BREAKING: CBO says Senate bill saves 2 million Americans from losing their health coverage under Obamacare!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's important to remember that there is no valid fiscal reason for these cuts. It's purely driven by spite, racism and crackpot economics.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

god what a loving poo poo show :smith:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Looks like I was wrong on the CBO score being the tick tick tick (Unless Wittes is just late to the party). I'll own that.

I don't think that's really Wittes' beat. His ticks have been for Comey / Russia / Sessions stuff.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's important to remember that there is no valid fiscal reason for these cuts. It's purely driven by spite, racism and crackpot economics.

yes there is

tax cuts :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JoshuaHol/status/879436699646009345

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

KickerOfMice posted:

Man, between this baby spice no-cameras fuckery, and the cloaked authorship of the health care bill, the entire administration and congressional R's are really acting more like rulers and less of representatives.

[That tweet about how GOP behavior makes sense if they're assuming they'll never lose another election]

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mcmagic posted:

evilweasel posted:

yes there is

tax cuts :v:

beaten

Yeah, the goal here is to raid Medicaid for budget "savings" so they can enact tax cuts, increase defense spending, throw some token money at the opiod epidemic and border security.

Basically, convert the lives and health of tens of millions of Americans into tax cuts for the super-rich.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How do you gently caress it up that badly?!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Huh, I didn't know Higgins was a goon. That explains a lot actually :v:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

...did they?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

reporters are getting a little irritated with the republican lying about medicaid

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/879438590727647232

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Ague Proof posted:

Definitely not bots in the replies.

Does Twitter just not give a poo poo?

You misspelled "daily active users".

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

lol there's no loving way they pass this poo poo. If nothing else it would crater the economy, and they would get blamed for that AND blamed for all the people dropping dead and going bankrupt after what they did.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

You know all of those companies that threw fits about having to pay for insurance for workers? They're gonna now be allowed to kick those people off

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Politicians really need to open a thesaurus or something.

https://twitter.com/DomenicoNPR/status/879439027837042688

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Yeah can't wait to roll the dice after my girlfriend and I get married, get a house, and start trying for kids this year.

By roll the dice meaning my family goes broke and destitute because we dare to have a child and have pre existing medical conditions.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A lot of medium sized businesses were forced to offer health insurance by the ACA. They presumably would not do so if they were no longer required to.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

beaten

Yeah, the goal here is to raid Medicaid for budget "savings" so they can enact tax cuts, increase defense spending, throw some token money at the opiod epidemic and border security.

Basically, convert the lives and health of tens of millions of Americans into tax cuts for the super-rich.

If you had a comic book where the villain was going to kick old people out of nursing homes to make money you wouldn't loving believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What you think is a bug is a feature.

• Locked thread