Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Added Space posted:

gently caress no. If we secure that thing it's going right back into the ocean, deepest water we can find. Nothing good would come from being associated with something like that.

If we put it in the ocean there's no guarantee someone won't try to get it back. Or it could develop a leak. Or we could make Godzilla. Surrendering it to the appropriate authorities for dismantling is the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ugh we have a golden opportunity to start our own nuclear program, and all that we can think about is things like "not becoming international pariahs" and "actually wanting to find work that isn't for terrorists at some point" :colbert:

No imagination, you lot. How fun would it be to have sunshine on tap :sun:

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
We could also, i dunno, be all quiet-like and turn it over to the rightful owners whose bases we're squatting in right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ruskies have figured this out and Peter And Company are there to be a last ditch attempt to get the thing if us/Mitsuhashi completely melt down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Crazycryodude posted:

WHOOOOOOO BOY

WE'RE GETTING OURSELVES SOME SUNSHINE

THAT'S OUR loving SUNSHINE AND NOBODY WILL STOP US FROM TAKING IT
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine in a bag
I'm useless but not for long
The future is coming on
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine in a bag
I'm useless but not for long
The future is coming on
It's coming on
It's coming on
It's coming on

OK, the situation has changed. clearly we must reach out to BSNC to unite against the common enemy - Ted Nugent! We cannot allow him access to weapons of mass destruction!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh god I didn't even consider that angle. Can we get on the horn with the BSNC ASAP and let them know that 1) we know and 2) no matter what, we both need to make sure the Nuge gets nowhere near it? If he gets his grubby little paws on that can, it's getting cracked open in Mecca (or a similarly racist target) the next week.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Hey guys, I saw a bunch of posts, what-

*reads that the current conflict is over a loving nuke just waiting for someone to take it*

Motherfucker. We've gotten in waaaaaay over our loving heads with this one. Okayokayokay. poo poo.

So to recap:
-Mitsu's undergoing a corporate civil war between Mr. Hasegawa and his daughter.
-And for that matter, Mitsu's directly responsible for ANGERPeace getting their nuke and selling nukes to Taiwan, kicking off a chain of events leading to the Chinese Civil War.
-Hasegawa's daughter doesn't give two shits about anyone else and is mainly staying with the BSNC to keep herself safe while she takes over Mitsu.
-Every major power in this theater is trying to get their hands on a goddamned nuke located on St. Lawrence.
-We are officially in way over our heads with this one. This is a global crisis brewing here.

So...right now, we smile, nod, and figure out how soon we can justify getting the hell out of dodge with as much as we can get our hands on as well. Swear to god, after this we are taking a quiet contract in the rear end end of nowhere against someone with basically nothing and let this shitstorm play out before we go back into the field.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm voting for contacting the UN and letting them know there's additional unsecured nuclear devices floating around out here, myself, as well as informing them about our employer's indiscretions regarding previous nukes. :colbert:

We were already heroes once in Angola, let's stick to that and get our bread buttered even more by people who feel like we're protecting them and not just working for dosh and bloodshed.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

"As much as we can get our hands on" includes the sunshine, if at all possible of course :getin:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm voting for contacting the UN and letting them know there's additional unsecured nuclear devices floating around out here, myself, as well as informing them about our employer's indiscretions regarding previous nukes. :colbert:

We were already heroes once in Angola, let's stick to that and get our bread buttered even more by people who feel like we're protecting them and not just working for dosh and bloodshed.

High five, fellow reasonable and virtuous Knight! :hfive:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Take the nuke.

Save it for a rainy day.

This is a good thing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kitfox88 posted:

What's the UN going to do about it, write a strongly worded letter to someone?

We can hand it over for dismantlement once we've got hold of it, but until then the UN is basically as powerless as usual. This mess is up to the people who actually have guns and we can decide what to do afterwards.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqi91tNS2yI

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Wasn't keeping the nuke a bad end in MGS5?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As for us keeping a nuke, what the hell would we ever use one for? A single nuke won't fend off any major state actor that wants to gently caress us, and any use of the thing will immediately take us past 'heavily armed and dodgily reasonable business' and right into 'international terrorist'.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

You're right, one nuke isn't all that potent in the grand scheme of things. If you take one nuke, keep it your deepest darkest secret, and have some eggheads work on copying it, however....... Sunshine on tap is a very powerful thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's the kind of thing that costs us billions of dollars and has a shitton of points of failure, not to mention lots of places where we could be detected. It's completely not worth it in every sense of the word.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Night10194 posted:

As for us keeping a nuke, what the hell would we ever use one for?

Killing a Carrier Battle Group

All sorts of fun false flag operations

General causing of chaos

Selling it for a lot of moneys

Bombing China with it as a return of recent affections

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 26, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kitfox88 posted:

Davin Valkri posted:

High five, fellow reasonable and virtuous Knight! :hfive:
What ho, fellow knights! Let us discuss chivalry and jolly co-operation!

Dance Officer posted:

Killing a Carrier Battle Group

All sorts of fun false flag operations

General causing of chaos

Selling it for a lot of moneys

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Knights are such nerds. We need a soldier/mercenary coalition to do the right thing with our sunshine.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I am in the mercenary alliance for this one.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Crazycryodude posted:

You're right, one nuke isn't all that potent in the grand scheme of things. If you take one nuke, keep it your deepest darkest secret, and have some eggheads work on copying it, however....... Sunshine on tap is a very powerful thing.

Do you seriously not know how nukes work? A reasonably intelligent high schooler can build a decent replica of a nuke, none of the plans or science is secret. The hard part is getting the fissile material for the core, which is toxic, hard to find, and costs billions of dollars to process.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Non-State Actors (and we're a member of that club) likely don't last long when either of, A) become a member of the nuke club or 2) open up a can of sunshine some where, gets met. No on keeping the nuke, assuming we find it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh I know all that, this whole thing is predicated on the idea of it being a fusion bomb so we can see all the specific and still classified fuckery that goes into one of those instead of a run-of-the-mill fission firecracker.

Admittedly the idea of starting our own nuclear program looks less attractive after cooling off from the initial excitement, but we're still stealing that nuke no matter what. Or at least holding on to it for a rainy day/as a massive bargaining chip.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Sign me up in the nerd camp then because I want to recover and hand over the things to the UN and then tell China who, exactly, armed Taiwan in exchange for getting them to stop trying to gently caress us in the rear end 100% of the time.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Night10194 posted:

As for us keeping a nuke, what the hell would we ever use one for? A single nuke won't fend off any major state actor that wants to gently caress us, and any use of the thing will immediately take us past 'heavily armed and dodgily reasonable business' and right into 'international terrorist'.

You don't use one nuke, you threaten to use one nuke. Bluffing can be far more powerful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Diffusing a massive international crisis point is the kind of thing that would forever make our reputation and allow us to demand top dollar and operational freedom in the future.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alternative solution: Hand it over to the IAEA, but on the condition that the public never hears a peep. Then, win the Mitsu civil war for Julie, and have an eternally gratefully Mitsu and an eternally grateful international intelligence community/IAEA, with none of that hassling news coverage or collapse of the Japanese government or turbo-pissed China and whatnot.

poo poo, when the story does eventually leak 20 years from now, we get to look like the humble, quiet servants of peace instead of attention grabbing superstar wannabes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Night10194 posted:

What's the UN going to do about it, write a strongly worded letter to someone?

Honestly my worry is we get ahold of it and right when we do the international community kicks down the door and we're left holding the bag.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

power crystals posted:

I forsee zero negative consequences to that plan. I'm in.

yes: it is basically foolproof.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
We are turning into a James Bond bad guy organization. I like it.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Yooper posted:

This is an OOC update, and a bit about why I'm running this LP. If you prefer non-rl stuff just skip on by.

When I started this LP I was dying. I have Stage 4 Colon Cancer.

Lemme back up a bit. January 2016 I had a colonoscopy and they discovered a tumor the size of a croquet ball. 48 hours later I had emergency surgery. Prior to all this I did Crossfit 3 days a week, was training for an ultra-marathon, and ate healthier than the average goon.

Me all hosed up on painkillers post-surgery

A month later I started my first round of chemotherapy. This nasty stuff called FOLFOX. 24 hours later I had my first heart attack. Welp. So, out to Mayo Clinic I went. They didn't believe I had a heart attack so we tried it again. And I had another heart attack. Welp. Eventually they got me onto a chemo that didn't cause, you know, my heart to pulsate like a sack of jelly.

My chemo wrapped up in August of 2016. Three weeks later my cancer enzymes started to rise. Though slowly. By December they were at the point we knew the cancer had returned. A CT scan confirmed it. I had a new tumor right by my belt line behind my pelvis in something called the mesentery. My options were go on one chemo drug which would prolong my life from 6 months to a couple of years. The other option involved an experimental drug called pembroluzimab. The trade name is Keytruda.

I decided to go for the experimental route. But unfortunately insurance companies don't cover non-FDA approved drugs. So it took two more months to get it. Merck gives it to me for free. By that point I was in constant pain and staring death down. And he had all the cards.

I started the pembro in late February. We did some baseline bloodwork and wouldn't check it again for a couple of months. The stress of it was killing me. So, with a bit of inspiration from other LP's here from Grey Hunter and Generation Internet, I started this LP solely to give me something to take my mind off the cancer. When you have cancer it's hard not to think about it. This wacky world is my escapism from the reality of my own mortality.

Today I had my first CT scans at Mayo Clinic. The tumor is shrinking. Smaller than what it was in December. My bloodwork is at what a normal persons would be. I have virtually no pain. The drug is likely to continue to work for quite some time. But, probably the best part, I go back in three months for another check up and if it's all looking awesome we're going to talk surgery.

Surgery means cure.

I'm having a pretty loving good day and wanted to share that with you guys. I have all of you to thank for helping me deal with this poo poo. Instead of waking up and going "gently caress. I'm dying of Cancer." I can wake up and go, "How exactly do I make an unstable Angolan dictator do more crazy poo poo?"

So, in a nutshell, thanks Hired Goons.

sooooo.... PMCs are the cure for cancer? :v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Put the nuke in a sidecar attached to the lead Gripen with a dead man switch detonator.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

power crystals posted:

I forsee zero negative consequences to that plan. I'm in.

:same:

We Need That Island. Securing Hasegawa should be considered a good secondary that will open a lot of options for us re: employer/employee relations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Chinese are moving in missiles, do you think they know about the nuke too?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Anything we could possibly do here is going to cause more chaos, which will tank Mitsuhashi's share price even farther, which will mean a further buying spree from both Hasegawa's. I don't see the elder winning out in this hostile takeover unless we find the daughter and prevent her from doing that. That said, if we find her and offer her a deal that might be our best way of de-escalating with a paycheck. She's also likely the person who best knows where the nuke is, because she's the one who stole it in the first place.

Nevermind Russian or Chinese involvement, those are only going to be a thing if this information gets blown wide open somehow.

All that said, BNSC and Iceberg are going to go balls out for these next operations. I'm actually nervous we don't have the planes or arsenal to throw down with an all-in from both of them.

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010
You know, this is the sort of poo poo fight that that may warrants us getting out own external support. Does Zack still have any friends in Langley? I have to imagine that the Company would be jump all over this like flies on a turd. A change to gently caress with Russian, China, Taiwan, get leverage over some Japanacorps, AND do some good propping up the idea of US sovereignty? They wouldn't miss this for the world. Also, they have to like the idea of Ted getting his hands on a nuke as much as everyone else, so they might be able to reign him in.

They may already be somewhat aware though. All those US subs going active is unlikely to be a coincidence.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

omegasgundam posted:

You know, this is the sort of poo poo fight that that may warrants us getting out own external support. Does Zack still have any friends in Langley? I have to imagine that the Company would be jump all over this like flies on a turd. A change to gently caress with Russian, China, Taiwan, get leverage over some Japanacorps, AND do some good propping up the idea of US sovereignty? They wouldn't miss this for the world. Also, they have to like the idea of Ted getting his hands on a nuke as much as everyone else, so they might be able to reign him in.

They may already be somewhat aware though. All those US subs going active is unlikely to be a coincidence.

noice

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Crazycryodude posted:

Alternative solution: Hand it over to the IAEA, but on the condition that the public never hears a peep. Then, win the Mitsu civil war for Julie, and have an eternally gratefully Mitsu and an eternally grateful international intelligence community/IAEA, with none of that hassling news coverage or collapse of the Japanese government or turbo-pissed China and whatnot.

poo poo, when the story does eventually leak 20 years from now, we get to look like the humble, quiet servants of peace instead of attention grabbing superstar wannabes.

This

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Crazycryodude posted:

I now know where my vote lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Yep chalk me up as one of the guys who wants to hand the nuke over to the IAEA/The Us/ Russia, whatever gets it the hell outta here. This next op or two is going to be nuts, and I fully endorse getting Langley in here to hell out with this if we can. Nukes are waaaay out of our paygrade.

Too bad we can't subcontract out with other mercs to make sure we can get this operation off the (unless we can get the Mistuhashi board to oust their boss and get us some more help).