Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wasn't the leaked Star Fox 2 ROM somewhat broken? Like I know it was 95% complete but I'm wondering what Nintendo is going to include to make it really complete. Or are they just going to find the ROM on Emuparadise and call it a day or what

The current version floating around is patched to remove the debug mode. There is still a hidden menu that can be accessed by going to difficulty selection and backing out, but gently caress if I can find out what any of the options are beyond sound test.

There are two bugs in the cart that I have: 5 walls (two in cannon betrayers on hard, two in cannon betrayers on expert, and one on Eladard expert) can be clipped through by flying into a corner. Additionally, holding a shoulder button while transforming into walker mode with a bunch (not sure the threshold) of sprites on screen will turn a character into Fox, or if you're playing as Fox, turn Fox into Slippy. The map will still show whatever character you originally chose and they'll keep their weapon distribution, but the charge bar, shields, and arwing model will reflect Fox (or Slippy). That one is extremely hard to trigger, however, I've only done it ~10 times in over 150 plays. Granted, I don't try to, I hate playing as Fox.

Lastly, the line "executing security crosscheck" that starts off the credits is hidden, but really who cares.

There is one patch floating around later than the one in my cart that removes the hidden menu and shows the line in the credits but does not do anything about the bugs that actually affect gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nevermind. That assassination quest was actually kind of dull because all of the targets were in the same room :geno:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Oyster posted:

The current version floating around is patched to remove the debug mode. There is still a hidden menu that can be accessed by going to difficulty selection and backing out, but gently caress if I can find out what any of the options are beyond sound test.

There are two bugs in the cart that I have: 5 walls (two in cannon betrayers on hard, two in cannon betrayers on expert, and one on Eladard expert) can be clipped through by flying into a corner. Additionally, holding a shoulder button while transforming into walker mode with a bunch (not sure the threshold) of sprites on screen will turn a character into Fox, or if you're playing as Fox, turn Fox into Slippy. The map will still show whatever character you originally chose and they'll keep their weapon distribution, but the charge bar, shields, and arwing model will reflect Fox (or Slippy). That one is extremely hard to trigger, however, I've only done it ~10 times in over 150 plays. Granted, I don't try to, I hate playing as Fox.

Lastly, the line "executing security crosscheck" that starts off the credits is hidden, but really who cares.

There is one patch floating around later than the one in my cart that removes the hidden menu and shows the line in the credits but does not do anything about the bugs that actually affect gameplay.

That's cool! Thanks for the info.

I just realized...where the hell do the controllers plug in? Or are they just using a really small SNES connector?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think those plugs in the front are anything but decorative.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

I don't think those plugs in the front are anything but decorative.

I would assume that but then where do they plug in?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I would assume that but then where do they plug in?

Either on the back or on the unseen right side, I'd assume.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
SNES classic has a good lineup but I already have all those games on cart so who cares :cheeky:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay, I'm just looking for a solution that doesn't require desoldering as I have absolutely not skill I'm that area. So the easiest thing is just to get the rewriterable chips? Are there any recommend brands or sellers?

You're going to have to solder the re-writable chips onto the cartridge though.

If you aren't willing to learn soldering just get an SD2SNES and leave it at that, dude.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Quick follow up do people feel the SD2SNES is worth the extra money compared to the everdrive? It seems like the SD is really all you need, but it is double the price. Are the improvements over the everdrive, worth the price increase or is the everdrive perfectly good.

Also thanks for everyone talking me out of trying to do my own carts.

I have all the games on actual cart that aren't compatible with everdrive so they're identical for my purposes. Both are good.

There's not really that many incompatible games, so I'd recommend just collecting those. The only thing I can think of that really makes me want a SD2SNES over Everdrive is the enhanced music chip stuff, but that's pretty niche and I doubt I'd really play them that much.

That said, Mega Man X3 is incompatible and costs a ton these days, so if you're really into MMX consider that. But you can always buy the Mega Man X collection on PS2 or whatever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 26, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TVs Ian posted:

Either on the back or on the unseen right side, I'd assume.

Ah that makes sense.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Really hope they do an n64 mini and then it becomes an emulation machine

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EnvyJ posted:

Really hope they do an n64 mini and then it becomes an emulation machine

Only if they allow deblur on the system settings.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm honestly amazed they got Yoshi's Island to run at full fps. I'd be astounded it they got N64 to work at all.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I went through my storage unit the other day and found an AtGames Genesis a friend gave me for my birthday a few years ago. It's got a bunch of built-in games but I don't recall playing with it for more than an hour or so. Is this thing worth hanging onto? Like, is there anything special I can do with it, or is it considered garbage?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I'm honestly amazed they got Yoshi's Island to run at full fps.

What?

Do you know what hardware is in a SNES Classic already or something? Why is this amazing?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I went through my storage unit the other day and found an AtGames Genesis a friend gave me for my birthday a few years ago. It's got a bunch of built-in games but I don't recall playing with it for more than an hour or so. Is this thing worth hanging onto? Like, is there anything special I can do with it, or is it considered garbage?

They're still sold at stores and are garbage.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Phantasium posted:

They're still sold at stores and are garbage.

Cool, thanks, I was hoping to just drop it off at Goodwill since it's taking up a bit of closet space.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Zaphod42 posted:

What?

Do you know what hardware is in a SNES Classic already or something? Why is this amazing?

I mean... Look at his username.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

What?

Yoshi's Island is the most demanding of the SNES games from an emulation standpoint, it's the one game you can't run with a locked framerate on a Pi Zero even if overclocked, or an OG Wii. I mean, it's not THAT crazy, but it does show that there's probably more processing power in this than in most similar devices.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tried to order from Game.co.uk, adding to cart hangs for 10+ minutes.

I just want a super famicom classic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Tried to order from Game.co.uk, adding to cart hangs for 10+ minutes.

I just want a super famicom classic.

Yeah I ran into the same problem. I guess I won't be getting one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

I mean... Look at his username.

Got me there :)

univbee posted:

Yoshi's Island is the most demanding of the SNES games from an emulation standpoint, it's the one game you can't run with a locked framerate on a Pi Zero even if overclocked, or an OG Wii. I mean, it's not THAT crazy, but it does show that there's probably more processing power in this than in most similar devices.

Yeah that's fair. That was my point, its not THAT crazy really, but it does mean they're not half-assing it.*

*assuming it actually runs at perfectly stable frame rate

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Zaphod42 posted:

Got me there :)

Yeah that's fair. That was my point, its not THAT crazy really, but it does mean they're not half-assing it.*

*assuming it actually runs at perfectly stable frame rate

There are sections of Star Fox 2 that make my SNES drop to seemingly single digit FPS. I'm interested to see how true to form the emulator will be.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's crazy for how cheap the thing is. Only ten bucks more than the nes one but it comes with an extra controller making them essentially the same price. Whatever guts are in that thing it has to be way more powerful than the NES one.

The new 3ds can't emulate Yoshi's Island at 60fps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It's crazy for how cheap the thing is. Only ten bucks more than the nes one but it comes with an extra controller making them essentially the same price. Whatever guts are in that thing it has to be way more powerful than the NES one.

The new 3ds can't emulate Yoshi's Island at 60fps.

I can't wait for someone to open it up like they did with the NES mini so we can just load whatever games we want on it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

I can't wait for someone to open it up like they did with the NES mini so we can just load whatever games we want on it.

And the star fox 2 ROM will be extracted rendering all those custom carts obsolete!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And the star fox 2 ROM will be extracted rendering all those custom carts obsolete!

That raises an interesting question, what does Nintendo do when people start selling the official rom in repro carts?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

The version of Star Fox 2 on this is probably the later one that never leaked, too.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

TVs Ian posted:

The version of Star Fox 2 on this is probably the later one that never leaked, too.

I'm very skeptical of this but will definitely be comparing when it's time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TVs Ian posted:

It has to be. Wasn't a 100% version verified in like 2015?

Also, it begins: http://m.ebay.com/itm/263058118582?_mwBanner=1

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Picked this up on Saturday and I'm super happy with it. Been playing it off and on over the weekend. The seller mentioned doing a VGA conversion cable and picking up an LCD monitor for it, but I'm fine with all original parts. The minor purple hue doesn't bother me at all as it really is barely visible. The screen burn is defenitely there though haha.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Fun fact I didn't know until recently : find a TV of identical size and you can just swap out the glass and bye bye burn in

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

It has to be. Wasn't a 100% version verified in like 2015?

Also, it begins: http://m.ebay.com/itm/263058118582?_mwBanner=1
One of the devs mentioned in an interview in 2017 that the ROM that's floating around was an older version, and there was a final one with some changes and additions.

It wouldn't surprise me to see that one in the release, since it would be weird to advertise it like they have without it being a 100% finished game.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Fun fact I didn't know until recently : find a TV of identical size and you can just swap out the glass and bye bye burn in

Oh drat that's a good idea...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
N...no.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

That raises an interesting question, what does Nintendo do when people start selling the official rom in repro carts?

The same thing they've been doing all along with all the other roms in repro carts: mostly not giving a gently caress because its a tiny amount of business that almost nobody even knows exists

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

SNES classic has a good lineup but I already have all those games on cart so who cares :cheeky:

You're going to have to solder the re-writable chips onto the cartridge though.

If you aren't willing to learn soldering just get an SD2SNES and leave it at that, dude.
Yeah, I'm starting to think that makes the most sense. I mean learning how to solder would probably be neat...but I barely have any free time for the less demanding projects I want to tinker on.

Zaphod42 posted:

I have all the games on actual cart that aren't compatible with everdrive so they're identical for my purposes. Both are good.

There's not really that many incompatible games, so I'd recommend just collecting those. The only thing I can think of that really makes me want a SD2SNES over Everdrive is the enhanced music chip stuff, but that's pretty niche and I doubt I'd really play them that much.

That said, Mega Man X3 is incompatible and costs a ton these days, so if you're really into MMX consider that. But you can always buy the Mega Man X collection on PS2 or whatever.

That's good to know. I mean the music chip is kind of important for me, but then again how noticeable is the difference? Not really in MM so that wouldn't be a huge issue.

Ironically I had no clue that my old wii (that hasn't been turned on in years, but just packed away in perfect condition) can be modded even at the latest system update until I was looking around today, so I think I'm just going to try and softmod that tonight for emulation purposes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Phantasium posted:

When the Virtual Console is on the Switch, Nintendo can just put Star Fox 2 up for sale for a dollar or two more than they do for other SNES games.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Phantasium posted:

nothing. they will do nothing. like they have done for every repro cart.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean yeah they don't do anything for old games but I figured maybe there would be a difference for the not-technically released game but I guess not.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

TVs Ian posted:

One of the devs mentioned in an interview in 2017 that the ROM that's floating around was an older version, and there was a final one with some changes and additions.

It wouldn't surprise me to see that one in the release, since it would be weird to advertise it like they have without it being a 100% finished game.

This is why I'm skeptical. There are a myriad of ROMs floating around now, but the two main base ones are "early alpha" and "final beta". AeonGenesis made a translation patch that fixed many bugs and disabled the debug mode, and ManueLowe made 3 more patches that were essentially typo fixes/shader fixes for the first line of text in the credits. The interview sounds like the early alpha ROM, as the circulated one (and the one that's in my cart, anyway) do have the roguelike encounters and different arenas in different difficulties.

If I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to be, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Oyster posted:

This is why I'm skeptical. There are a myriad of ROMs floating around now, but the two main base ones are "early alpha" and "final beta". AeonGenesis made a translation patch that fixed many bugs and disabled the debug mode, and ManueLowe made 3 more patches that were essentially typo fixes/shader fixes for the first line of text in the credits. The interview sounds like the early alpha ROM, as the circulated one (and the one that's in my cart, anyway) do have the roguelike encounters and different arenas in different difficulties.

If I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to be, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Maybe Nintendo themselves have the newest version of the ROM? They are very good at data archiving.

Also hooray

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/879409649077952512

• Locked thread