Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

FBI agents have repeatedly questioned former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page about his contacts with Russians and his interactions with the Trump campaign, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Over a series of five meetings in March, totaling about 10 hours of questioning, Page repeatedly denied wrongdoing when asked about allegations that he may have acted as a kind of go-between for Russia and the Trump campaign, according to a person familiar with Page’s account.

The interviews with the FBI are the most extensive known questioning of a potential suspect in the probe of possible Russian connections to associates of President Trump. The questioning of Page came more than a month before the Russian investigation was put under the direction of Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

Page confirmed Monday that the interviews occurred, calling them “extensive discussions.” He declined to say if he’s spoken to investigators since the March interviews.

He said the FBI agents “acknowledged that I’m a loyal American veteran but indicated that their management was concerned that I did not believe the conclusions” of a Jan 6. U.S. intelligence report describing Russian government interference in the U.S. election. “Our frank and open conversations gave me confidence that there are still logical, honest individuals at the Bureau who respect civil rights and the Constitution,’’ he said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.77085c5af19b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Dumb question: I've seen people say that the GOP Healthcare bill is designed to not take effect until after 2020, under the assumption that the GOP will lose power due to Trump and can then blame the healthcare problems on Democrats.

Regardless of whether or not this is true, what would be stopping Democrats from enacting legislature to prevent those changes from taking place if they gained majority?

Just hedging their bets - they know they won't lose the majority but if it's closer than they'd like they can blame the increased number of Democrats and faithless RINOs for the resulting chaos.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toaster Beef posted:

Is this part of the genius of Obamacare, where it's almost completely impossible to repeal without political self-immolation and destruction of the entire healthcare system, or was that just a really neat byproduct?

This is why the left needs to focus on universal programs.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

mcmagic posted:

They removed it for Supreme Court nominations, not for legislation but the only thing keeping it in place is norms of conduct which don't exist anymore so it might as well not exist.

Ah, yes ofc, it was the SC thing. Thanks for the explanation.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also, if you get these super high deductible plans, people may just stop buying insurance because you still go bankrupt if you get sick with the high deductible and you can't pay for the plan anymore.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There have got to be a bunch of cynical assholes that have a D next to their name actually hoping that this passes now because holy gently caress, talk about ammo going into 2018.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

Do you think the moderate side of "not there yet" caucus was told the bill would score better than this?
Conversely, does this bill now kill enough people for the Cruz caucus?

i think the cruz caucus is happy with its medicaid murdering but wants to murder the individual market too, and i don't know they're getting that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There have got to be a bunch of cynical assholes that have a D next to their name actually hoping that this passes now because holy gently caress, talk about ammo going into 2018.

You don't need it to pass to campaign on it. Privatizing social security never even got a vote but was probably the biggest thing that caused the 2006 Dem wave.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Star Man posted:

The PATRIOT Act was the first thing that came to mind.
The PATRIOT act was passed as a reaction to something major that happened. It was a terrible overreaction and used as a money and power grab, but it was at least a response to a thing that happened.

This horrible clusterfuck is a response to nothing. At all. They just wanted to do it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I hope this wasn't the thing Wittes was teasing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Accelerationism! :smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

I take it this is now officially the worst bill that ever stood a real chance of becoming law in US history.

fugitive slave act still probably wins

there might be worse slavery-related laws that aren't coming to mind as well

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I hope not. The wettest of farts.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, all of them. They get to run on nothing except "we are not republicans" again.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

I hope this wasn't the thing Wittes was teasing

mango sentinel posted:

Maybe, we'll get a BOOM tweet if so

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Correct. But because they spent 8 years railing against the mandate, they can't use that. They can't use the House's surcharge of 30% because that basically invites you to register only when you get actually sick, because a 30% surcharge is nothing in comparison. So a delay is all they have left.

Reminds me of how Pawlenty disguised a tax increase as a "user fee" for cigarettes then learned the use of that money was very limited.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

Maybe, we'll get a BOOM tweet if so

Wait, really? It kills me to not see that cannon go off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

God I hope that Turtle looking gently caress is getting screamed at by his donors over this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

100% Carter Page will be on cable news tonight saying that the FBI just wanted his expert knowledge to explain why their conclusions are all wrong because he was in regular contact with the Trump campaign and Russia so he'd know.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

the fbi questioning a trump aide for 10 hours about if he was the go-between for collusion between the trump campaign and russia is a Big Deal, even if it's not evidence it's a strong suggestion the FBI thinks there's something there based on, presumably, undisclosed evidence

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wittes follows up with a boom and a link when he does this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In a perfect world it wouldn't exist. This is Trump World - up is down, left is right, and Dems have no political power. You can either see some silver lining in the repubs hoisting their own petard on this toxic legislation or wallow in misery while it happens anyway. Is it still accelerationism if it's not wishing for the worst but a sober account of reality?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

God I hope that Turtle looking gently caress is getting screamed at by his donors over this.

his donors are the ones who really only care about the tax cuts, and he made sure not to touch those

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Queering Wheel posted:

I mean this bill has to be dead just because of this, right? Heller, Paul, Collins, that's three. She is on tape saying she can't support a bill that does what this bill does. Murkowski has to be a no too after this disaster of a report. This is so blatantly hosed up, there's no way they have 50 people voting yes.

Sadbrain me: they'll cave just like the House "moderates" caved, they just need a face-saver.

Optimist me: well, make sure they feel public pressure. Phone bank. Do whatever you can.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Senator Murphy had a very good idea:

quote:

Over the weekend, the senior Democrat on the Senate subcommittee that oversees the CBO said in a tweet that he had asked the budget office to estimate the Senate bill’s effect on insurance coverage over a longer time horizon. “GOP is hiding the worst Medicaid cuts in years 11, 12, 13 and hoping CBO stays quiet,” wrote Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

his donors are the ones who really only care about the tax cuts, and he made sure not to touch those

But what if this newest CBO score helps torpedo the whole thing altogether, meaning no precious tax cuts?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

You don't need it to pass to campaign on it. Privatizing social security never even got a vote but was probably the biggest thing that caused the 2006 Dem wave.
Uh, Iraq turning into a shitshow and Hurricane Katrina were way, way bigger factors in 2006 than Social Security privatization.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/879448012921212928
(that's the republican governor of Kentucky)

whoops that was wrong

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 26, 2017

B B
Dec 1, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The next time we have democratic unified government, the filibuster is gone.

If we have leaders who are of the current Democratic establishment mindset, that will not happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

Uh, Iraq turning into a shitshow and Hurricane Katrina were way, way bigger factors in 2006 than Social Security privatization.

The Iraq War did not devolve into peak quadmire until 2007.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
It's still going to pass and people are going to die

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Passing this bill would be so immediately horribly destructive to such a wide variety of peoplease and industries I almost hope they do it, because the counterpunch will be swift by necessity.

This will not be like gutting welfare in the 90s where the consequences are abstruse and longitudinal. The consequences will be loving right now immediate. They tried to protract things out and obscure the destruction, but you can't with this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

B B posted:

If we have leaders who are of the current Democratic establishment mindset, that will not happen.

It will happen. Did you see how many corporate establishment Dems joined the Gorsuch filibuster?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol, even the gop least the ones closer to the ground know its loving poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spiffster posted:

Thank you for your input.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Beshear is the Democrat ex-gov of KY that expanded Medicaid. The current governor is Bevin and a Republican and a fuckwad who wants to close the state exchange.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Inferior Third Season posted:

No, people remember Katrina because it was such a disaster but social security privatization was a much bigger deal and caused a complete collapse in support for Republicans generally that everything else only exacerbated. Without that, Bush might have had more credibility to blame Katrina problems on local officials and it might have been more of a general disaster story and less of a Bush Fuckup story. I mean, look at how little Bush gets blamed for 9/11.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

La Brea Carpet posted:

Beshear is the Democrat ex-gov of KY that expanded Medicaid. The current governor is Bevin and a Republican and a fuckwad who wants to close the state exchange.

Oh, whoops. My mistake, you're right.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

saying what we all knew, but for that one person who was insisting manchin was going to vote for this:

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/879449800122540032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiffster posted:

Hey sadbrain spiffster, how about you go outside and get some fresh air instead of your constant hopelessness in this thread. You contribute nothing with your negativity.

• Locked thread