Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

AP posted:

They can't make a game, even if the figures (which don't show refunds and don't show expenditure) were correct. You can't expect to raise millions each month on promises when it becomes obvious that it's all crap.

Even Citizens have to wake up sometime.

Do they though? Isn't it normal to lay off 200 workers when you have 400 and you're nearing the end of game development (which you know nothing about)? Besides, 4.0 is only two weeks away. All the code is finished in 4.0 they just need a few people to layer in the content and fidelity and hey look over there! That new super military anti-stealth stealth fighter the "Terminatordestroyinator" concept sale is your only chance to get...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

WarpDogs posted:

So thanks to this guy's insane dedication to spreadsheets I was able to take a look at how much CIG has raised since the loan news hit. I used Saturday evening (GMT) which was about when the GAF topic was made

$250,000. Quarter of a million.

I know there was a new concept sale or whatever on Friday, but jesus. Even if you believe their explanation and support CIG, you'd think people would be more careful with their wallets

Even a quarter million over 2 days is ~3.75 million over a month. That's in the ballpark for their actual operating expenses. Them not making that much over that period of time would actually put them behind. They need $100k per day to hit the bare minimum of estimated operating costs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Meridian posted:

The Gaming Media, known goon sympathizers.

They better be! The payola is getting expensive.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

Even a quarter million over 2 days is ~3.75 million over a month. That's in the ballpark for their actual operating expenses. Them not making that much over that period of time would actually put them behind. They need $100k per day to hit the bare minimum of estimated operating costs.

And that's just to maintain their current levels of having no game, no plan for a game, no functioning game engine, and no documentation or solid idea of what either SC or SQ42 is so they can make progress in that direction. It's $100k per day just to tread water. Imagine how much more cash it would take to get rid of Chris Roberts, hire actual developers, and then design and build a game.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
they have to be spending $4 to $5m a month at minimum

top brass is probably pulling in at least $3 to $5m a year

chris: $800k+/yr
sandi: $225k+/yr
erin: $285k/yr

I mean, that's just 3 execs making almost $1.3m a year in salaries alone, which is about 120k/m just to keep those 3 around

don't forget the brilliant tony z and brian chambers and ortwin and all the additional money they are getting from benefits and bonuses and buy outs and royalties

I mean, gently caress, executives probably need, at minimum, $300k/m just to pay themselves

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Wait, let me see if I understand this- they put up the game for collateral, to receive a loan.

This loan is on the amount of a tax rebate they expect to get next year.

The £ is losing against the $ and € because of brexit.. meaning the rebate is less than they expect, and they want to repay it using Ameribux or Eurobux, why again?

I mean this is a crazy level of spin, because it never addresses the issue- why do they need an advance of a tax rebate?

That's like getting a loan and putting your car as collateral for your next expected tax refund.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

Wait, let me see if I understand this- they put up the game for collateral, to receive a loan.

This loan is on the amount of a tax rebate they expect to get next year.

The £ is losing against the $ and € because of brexit.. meaning the rebate is less than they expect, and they want to repay it using Ameribux or Eurobux, why again?

I mean this is a crazy level of spin, because it never addresses the issue- why do they need an advance of a tax rebate?

That's like getting a loan and putting your car as collateral for your next expected tax refund.
because its shady as gently caress and doesn't make a lick of sense because it's a desperate attempt to keep the motherfucking lights on and people paid because the second a studio closes its mass refund time and everything everywhere is absolutely hosed

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if the bank owns all the collateral, where would the refunds come from?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

bbbbut they went to a real fancy pants bank

the queen

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

there wouldn't be any once the bank controls it, backers would receive a pittance, if anything at all

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

there wouldn't be any once the bank controls it, backers would receive a pittance, if anything at all

A nice jpeg with "lol"

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

They just wanted to have cash on hand to fund the upcoming refund cascade.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are so hosed.

Its awesome.

Anyone who can look at this and keep their money in the poo poo game deserves what they get.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Golli posted:

They just wanted to have cash on hand to fund the upcoming refund cascade.

When you put it like that it's just common sense

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

TheAgent posted:

because its shady as gently caress and doesn't make a lick of sense because it's a desperate attempt to keep the motherfucking lights on and people paid because the second a studio closes its mass refund time and everything everywhere is absolutely hosed

Once a studio closes and dozens of people get laid off I fully expect a surge in pledges as shitizens rationalize it as, "They just arent needed anymore. Obviously SC / SQ42 is REALLY close! They just don't want to spoil it by telling us! Good business decision, imo."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheAgent posted:

This makes the most sense to me. Knowing Chris's faith in his own "product", it's consistent with his behavior that he'd believe Citcon would bring in a healthy amount of money. It's also been consistent with backer behavior. They must be in a spot where the money got just low enough that the only way to make it to the next Citcon would be layoffs, closing a studio, etc. and those optics would definitely cause a run on the bank, bringing this thing to an end. The loan would only need to be enough to cover until that event, at which time they've got "3.0" out the door and Chris makes his expected half a billion dollars.

The tax credit might be the excuse they're floating, but I don't think it figures into this as much as the Citcon Hail Mary pass.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So when is VR coming? :c00lbert:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

This makes the most sense to me. Knowing Chris's faith in his own "product", it's consistent with his behavior that he'd believe Citcon would bring in a healthy amount of money. It's also been consistent with backer behavior. They must be in a spot where the money got just low enough that the only way to make it to the next Citcon would be layoffs, closing a studio, etc. and those optics would definitely cause a run on the bank, bringing this thing to an end. The loan would only need to be enough to cover until that event, at which time they've got "3.0" out the door and Chris makes his expected half a billion dollars.

The tax credit might be the excuse they're floating, but I don't think it figures into this as much as the Citcon Hail Mary pass.
from all the leaks, chris has been talking to everyone as if the game is about 2 weeks from coming out in a perfect state (since this time last year). I think when the march deadline expired for the sqlude, that triggered something very, very bad regarding some monies and earlier promises to investors

meanwhile he thinks that star citizen, when released, will instantly make CIG over a billion and a half dollars. I am not exaggerating. he really believes this. so right now, the ends justify the means. take loans, make promises, do whatever you need to do to cross the finish line because once you do you can easily repay every unpaid bill and rebuild every burned bridge with your new, untold fortune.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

peter gabriel posted:

It's obvious you know the answer to that question and are just trying to spread negativity. We don't tolerate that around here, goon.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nicholas posted:

It's obvious you know the answer to that question and are just trying to spread negativity. We don't tolerate that around here, goon.

:c00lbert:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

Turns out that VR was the friends we made along the way

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

peter gabriel posted:

This question really annoys me. Virtual Reality is already in the game. We've been playing it all along. Anyway, it's only a game mode.

*Waves hands maniacally*
*Puts on fake moustache*
*Drives off in the direction of Venezuela*

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheAgent posted:

meanwhile he thinks that star citizen, when released, will instantly make CIG over a billion and a half dollars. I am not exaggerating. he really believes this.

I believe you - I've heard the same thing. Chris has done the math, as he does, looking at what he considers his "competitors" and he knows that in a month or so hundreds of millions dollars is a sure thing - the only thing that can stop him is sudden appearance of failure and loss of backer confidence, so this loan is just to hide the cracks in the paint until all that sweet cash pays for it in earnest. He literally is as developmentally damaged as his backers, and he believes this shitshow just as much as, if not more, than they do.

I'm torn between feeling bad about how much damage crippling mental illness can do to people, and laughing my rear end off for eternity while watching the only possible conclusion this dumpster fire could have ever reached.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

When you put it like that it's just common sense

Star Citizen: When you put it like that it's just common sense

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol at them throwing out 3.0 to the evocati this friday/weekend to shut people the gently caress up

it won't have anything but the new cargo animations and not even half of the ships are converted to item 2.0

also they get a single moon map to drive around on, loaded from the main screen

lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Glorious.

I won't have to buy another video game for a few decades thanks to Robert's vision.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheAgent posted:

lol at them throwing out 3.0 to the evocati this friday/weekend to shut people the gently caress up

it won't have anything but the new cargo animations and not even half of the ships are converted to item 2.0

lol

Oh, that would be the best thing. Seamless transitions....when you exit the mode and select a new one from the menu.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

Oh, that would be the best thing. Seamless transitions....when you exit the mode and select a new one from the menu.

CHRIS NEVER PROMISED IT SO THERE gently caress YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm torn between feeling bad about how much damage crippling mental illness can do to people, and laughing my rear end off for eternity while watching the only possible conclusion this dumpster fire could have ever reached.

It's been worth thirty bucks so far. Isn't that a sad indictment of the world.

edit: http://www.starcitizenstatus.com/

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 26, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is it normal to include a specific term to state that you categorically aren't partners or is it probably because CIG kept saying partner so many times when the loan was being discussed the bank realised they needed to cover their asses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5lJigJ7ngM&t=21s

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I am absolutely convinced they are scrambling to get the planet walking game-mode working before Gamescom. 90% of that is probably polishing up some landing zone station instead of any useful scalable solution.

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/#3.0_patch_-_Seamless_planetary/lunar_landing

:toxx:
No seamless landing in 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If it collapses, there simply are no more refunds. There would be no resource to provide refunds even if they really desperately wanted to give refunds. At best, backers would get paid out pennies on the dollar with whatever is left after banks auctioned off desks, chairs, and computers for maybe 1/3 of their purchase value. The 3D models, audio, visual, artwork, I can only imagine would be worth only whatever a stock asset outfit would be willing to buy it for. Those guys sell huge asset packs for $20-$30. Why would anyone specifically want CIG's stuff except as random cruft to help fill out a generic asset library. It's almost valueless.

The bank isn't going to sell the physical items off piece by piece, they'll sell lots. Here's 150 computers, 1.5 years old, make an offer. Here's a shitload of chairs. Buy these 200 desks. Some liquidation firm will pick them up for a fraction of what they were bought for, and the bank doesn't give a poo poo because it has no interest in having a fancy coffee maker or expensive aircraft rivet desk sitting in storage somewhere. They just want it out the door with cash in hand.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nicholas posted:

"that unverified funding data sure is consistant", says the citizen.

"unusually, suspiciously consistant..."

"it's actually not believable how consistant that funding data is..."

"drat the future is bright for CIG"

*pledges $1000*

One fun thing that nobody in the community has really caught onto yet-

There was never an X million dollar spike in the funding tracker when they got this loan.

So either the funding tracker does not represent the actual funding status of CIG and they've been getting outside "Investment" for some time without telling the backers, or they're pushing the cash into the tracker bit by bit.

Bit by bit they keep undermining their own cover stories.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 26, 2017

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

If you look carefully, I think you'll find that the gold fringe around Ortwin's post indicates that it is a maritime post and therefore the court has no jurisdiction in this case!

:kiss:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Remember when all this worked in the internal dev build 2016? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YBuFI3iI&t=2625s

lol

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

lol

heh that would lead to much hilarity

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I made videos claiming smoke and mirrors and fakery in the live streams and demos they put out like so many months ago.

Still waiting for CIG to disprove any part of them. :colbert:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

Once a studio closes and dozens of people get laid off I fully expect a surge in pledges as shitizens rationalize it as, "They just arent needed anymore. Obviously SC / SQ42 is REALLY close! They just don't want to spoil it by telling us! Good business decision, imo."

RSI Studio closure sale plus physical items that actually exist, discounted printed artwork and furniture.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well let's hope Coutts & Co bought the Completionist Package to give them the privilege.

Ortwin is a genius. He's got Coutts over a barrell. Either the loan is free, or the bank owes CIG $15K per Javelin (which is fair, because the resale value—once ships are worth four times the purchase pledge price—will be $10K or $11K, depending on the Javelin costing $2500 or $2750).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, been meaning to ask the thread:

If CIG folds suddenly, what actually happens with the current SC alpha? Would it be instantly defunct, or is there a preexisting contract with Amazon that would keep the servers/login info alive for a little while?