Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Yeah Ted Cruz overshadows him for pure shitbaggery but Cornyn is much more representative of the "old-school" Texas GOP establishment assholes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah Ted Cruz overshadows him for pure shitbaggery but Cornyn is much more representative of the "old-school" Texas GOP establishment assholes here.

He was speaking at a Koch brothers event so that tells you all you need to know about being an rear end in a top hat.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what am i missing? how will making the bill worse today make it more palatable to the reps who said nay? or were those 5 demanding a more terrible bill

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Relin posted:

what am i missing? how will making the bill worse today make it more palatable to the reps who said nay? or were those 5 demanding a more terrible bill

The original Senate bill, as written, would have destroyed the individual markets virtually immediately because it included no replacement for the individual mandate. They had to put something in for it to function at all.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ah i understand, thanks

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Apt phrasing...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think Americans are really dumb enough to see premiums go up 30% immediately after Republicans pass a bill without a single D vote and blame the democrats? Sure the ancient fox news moron demo will believe whatever the shouty box tells them but the majority of the electorate already dislikes Trump and hates Congress.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you think Americans are really dumb enough to see premiums go up 30% immediately after Republicans pass a bill without a single D vote and blame the democrats? Sure the ancient fox news moron demo will believe whatever the shouty box tells them but the majority of the electorate already dislikes Trump and hates Congress.

Absolutely

B B
Dec 1, 2005

CBO score is out:

https://twitter.com/USCBOcostest/status/879435926233133059

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Well let's look at our current elected leadership.... Yes. Yes, I do.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you think Americans are really dumb enough to see premiums go up 30% immediately after Republicans pass a bill without a single D vote and blame the democrats?

Yes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Clearly it's because they don't have 60 votes in the senate.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

"This is what we had to do to pass something to fix Obamacare because otherwise you'd spend even more and get even less as insurers pulled out because we specifically cut the funding out from under it it failed you"

that's literally what they were saying during the House's bill discussions literally every single go-round, and they will continue the rhetoric in the Senate.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Rich get richer, poor lose everything, water is wet and the world is cyclical. At least now I can add every senator that votes for this to my death wish list. Also I can't think what the Majority Whip leaders name is but that guy is a real oval office.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The bill results in a 20% increase in premiums and 15 million people losing coverage, next year.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

evilweasel posted:

The bill results in a 20% increase in premiums and 15 million people losing coverage, next year.

Considering the statement from John cornyn on this literal same page that this Bill had to pass to prevent cost increases of exactly this kind, this is big.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
They didn't even put in a number for out of pocket costs other than saying that they will go up by a lot. And that section about the non-group market staying stable reads like it is made up entirely with wishful thinking.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JoshuaHol/status/879436699646009345

Are there any news sources relating this for me and my social media friends who won't read through a CBO report?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you think Americans are really dumb enough to see premiums go up 30% immediately after Republicans pass a bill without a single D vote and blame the democrats?

Remind me who is president again?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

oldskool posted:

"This is what we had to do to pass something to fix Obamacare because otherwise you'd spend even more and get even less as insurers pulled out because we specifically cut the funding out from under it it failed you"

that's literally what they were saying during the House's bill discussions literally every single go-round, and they will continue the rhetoric in the Senate.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/879445599862624256

https://twitter.com/congressmanraja/status/879445904331333633

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaHol/status/879436699646009345

Are there any news sources relating this for me and my social media friends who won't read through a CBO report?

If they can look at a simple table.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

If they can look at a simple table.

If they're going to round they should do it better, it's hard to take their chart seriously when 26 + 1 = 28

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Azhais posted:

If they're going to round they should do it better, it's hard to take their chart seriously when 26 + 1 = 28

That happens all the time when you round correctly. I.e. 26.4 + 1.4 = 27.8, and rounds to 26 + 1 = 28. Numbers on a chart like this one will frequently have their sums off from the sum of the rounded components due to rounding and if there aren't cases like that something's up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

evilweasel posted:

That happens all the time when you round correctly. I.e. 26.4 + 1.4 = 27.8, and rounds to 26 + 1 = 28. Numbers on a chart like this one will frequently have their sums off from the sum of the rounded components due to rounding and if there aren't cases like that something's up.

Yeah, but it's one of those things that immediately lends itself to "Why should I take their estimates seriously when they can't even add to 50?!"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Azhais posted:

Yeah, but it's one of those things that immediately lends itself to "Why should I take their estimates seriously when they can't even add to 50?!"
I can't tell, are you presenting an argument that you personally think is reasonable, or are you predicting that idiots will care about idiot things, and saying it's important to keep the idiots on board?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I mean all this points to single payer as the number one solution. We just have to reprogram millions of people or have them all die.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 26, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Azhais posted:

It's how numbers work, what do you want them to do, lie about one of the numbers to make it look better to the uninformed while being wrong when reviewed by the informed?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

what's the tax cut? Still just under 900 trillion?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

McConnell does not appear to have the votes to start the clock on bringing this poo poo to a vote:

https://twitter.com/McCormackJohn/status/879459679734308864
https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/879459535475412992
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/879457928452898817

Heller also said he wouldn't vote to proceed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

McConnell does not appear to have the votes to start the clock on bringing this poo poo to a vote:

https://twitter.com/McCormackJohn/status/879459679734308864
https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/879459535475412992
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/879457928452898817

Heller also said he wouldn't vote to proceed.

A hopeful sign, but if we were living in a functional republic this wouldn't even be close.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

A hopeful sign, but if we were living in a functional republic this wouldn't even be close.

This doesn't mean it won't ultimately pass. What it means is that it's not coming to a vote this week unless one of them changes their mind, and it sounds like each of them won't let it proceed until they get the amendment they want.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

This doesn't mean it won't ultimately pass. What it means is that it's not coming to a vote this week unless one of them changes their mind, and it sounds like each of them won't let it proceed until they get the amendment they want.

Understood, but the longer this abomination rots in the sun and stinks up the place, the better. McConnell wanted this piece of poo poo voted on by the end of the week for a very obvious reason.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

If this was any recess other then the 4th of July recess I could honestly see McConnell canceling it so he could have more time to hammer out the bribe amendments for this piece of garbage.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

evilweasel posted:

It's how numbers work, what do you want them to do, lie about one of the numbers to make it look better to the uninformed while being wrong when reviewed by the informed?

I mean to be fair they could've just added a decimal place.

But then again we're talking about a hypothetical situation where someone is smart enough to notice the numbers don't quite add up but dumb enough to not know that rounding is a thing, so it's an entirely inconsequential nitpick.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I hope try don't vote and these people have to go home and face the actual people they represent.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Rad Valtar posted:

I hope try don't vote and these people have to go home and face the actual people they represent.

Do Senators even really interact with normal people? I feel like it's a no.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Noctone posted:

My senator Deb Fischer is in a little hot water right now for stonewalling people who don't think in lockstep with her from a re-election event: http://shareblue.com/gop-senator-bans-constituents-who-disagree-with-her-from-publicly-advertised-event/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twodot posted:

I can't tell, are you presenting an argument that you personally think is reasonable, or are you predicting that idiots will care about idiot things, and saying it's important to keep the idiots on board?

The latter. Even going to a single decimal place would make it look better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Noctone posted:

Multiple offices of Marco Rubio were closed because constituents were flooding the places and landlords got sick of them.