Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Skippy Granola posted:

Badass

I wonder if these republicans realize that getting their pinkerton skull crackers to beat up protesters looks pretty... hm... fashy?

Pinkertons were private contractors, not law enforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The saddest thing about arguing with a supporter of this bill is that you absolutely cannot use the same logic they use in the defense of the bill to argue against it.

The defense of this bill will be based on the same principles used for tax cuts, future projections based on initial numbers that are given a wide margin of forgiveness. In this case though, you will have conservatives fighting tooth and nail against you doing the same thing.

15 million people leaving the marketplace, no matter what the underlying reason is, will leave a financial void that will in turn affect prices. That is a given, that cannot be argued.

if you give people the chance to opt out and give states the chance to opt out, you are creating financial voids that cannot cover the same plans. If plans become cheaper, the benefits will have to be reduced.

Connecting the dots is a simple concept that will fall on deaf ears when it comes to conservative support for Trumpcare.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
only trust trump. trump is your god.

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/879467006713622528

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Roland Jones posted:

Hey, I might have missed this being posted, but, the reason why Republicans are pushing the AHCA so hard? Their donors are demanding it and refusing to pay unless they do.

There's even more in the article, but that's the basic idea. Donors are saying "give us our tax cuts or else ". Which seems like a good explanation as to why they're still gunning for it even after most of their own voters have turned on the bill and all and passing it seems like electoral suicide.

This certainly explains some things. They have to do it to get the money. No wonder the gunning for it this might be the deciding factor. Man this is turning out to be one scary ride. Like a roller coaster that won't stop and if it ever did stop you die.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

There's no way they pass this thing.

I mean it would destroy the party in the long term.

but no loving way.

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/879466661082013697

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They often deputized Pinkerton agents when they helped the cops break strikes.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Spiffster posted:

Man screw my state :negative:

Yeah and this on the heels of the muslim billboard. It's bad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trabisnikof posted:

They often deputized Pinkerton agents when they helped the cops break strikes.

Forgot that bit but it isn't happening yet. :colbert: :hf: :fishmech:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just figured they made it a larger savings so they could negotiate downwards

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

jfc

From my reading earlier the CBO has been pretty generally well regarded as nonpartisan forever. Politicians grumble about it when their bill gets a poor review but...

jfc FAKE OFFICE

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 26, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Wittes bomb didn't blow today

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I just figured they made it a larger savings so they could negotiate downwards

McConnell definitely made the bill harsher than he needed to, with the goal of letting wavering moderates offer amendments to get to a pre-planned level of harshness. That's the obvious reason it has no opioid funding even though that's absolutely necessary to get some of the "moderates" votes, like Portman and Capuito. That way, they get to offer the amendment and use it to justify voting for it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't slogged through the actual bill, but based on the way is being talked about, doesn't it mean you can't have health insurance for more than 6 months at a time?

If you don't pay for insurance for 2 months, you have to wait 6 months next year, during which you don't have to pay, which means you go more than 2 months next year without paying for insurance, so you have to wait....

The only other way I can think to read that is once you go 6 months without insurance and don't die, you're set because you can just go back on whenever you actually need it.

Both of these seem impossibly stupid.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

With an extra 200 billion dollars, I can see this thing passing. I mean their donors are withholding money as well. Money Rules these men's Souls so money will guide their action.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Wait, so we should expect it to be more like 50 million more uninsured?

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

It's win-win either way

they pass it and health premiums will go up and millions of americans everyone who voted for trump loses insurance

they don't pass it and they look like a bunch of weak little children

Bring it on. I'm not afraid of death fuckers. And nobody here should be either.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's win-win either way

they pass it and health premiums will go up and millions of americans everyone who voted for trump loses insurance

they don't pass it and they look like a bunch of weak little children

Said the man who has nothing to lose if this bill passes. Not said by the people who will die immediately if this bill passes.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's my cynical implication in that post, anyway. Cops are scum

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Covok posted:

Said the man who has nothing to lose if this bill passes. Not said by the people who will die immediately if this bill passes.

I purchase health insurance from the marketplace for me and my wife so no.

I have plenty to loving lose. But unlike Trump, Republicans, and his cohorts and many Democrats - i'm not a loving coward.

like I said worse has happened in this world. Let them kill me in the streets. I shed not a single tear. The only regret is I have but one life to give for my country.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

That's my cynical implication in that post, anyway. Cops are scum

Ha, whoops. Fair enough.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/879471862694256641
https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/879472221202391040
https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/879472296460726273

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:bisonyes:

Looking like total Republican failure at the moment. But as always, hope is a lie

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That is four clear "no" votes on the motion to proceed. I still think Collins is gettable but that rationale is harder to walk away from than, say, discussing how it hurts opioid funding. Saying the bill's cuts to medicaid hurt the most vulnerable is a lot harder to pretend is no longer the case with an amendment.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Covok posted:

Man, calm down.

Is it horrible? Is it monstorous? Does it mean those senators should step down? Yes. But we shouldn't lose our heads over it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oklahoma status: getting worse all the time

https://twitter.com/AliceOllstein/status/879458283475619840

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

well I mean I'm not, but I live in a country where the most expensive thing about a 2 month hospital stay is the parking (it was about $20 total) so...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm totally, 100% against this recent Freep "hurt your political enemies" thing gaining steam around here.

But sometimes...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

That is four clear "no" votes on the motion to proceed. I still think Collins is gettable but that rationale is harder to walk away from than, say, discussing how it hurts opioid funding. Saying the bill's cuts to medicaid hurt the most vulnerable is a lot harder to pretend is no longer the case with an amendment.

Inshallah.

Do we have any Den senators repeatedly throwing public option bills at the wall?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Welp, that's it for this version of the bill, at least.

Maybe next time they can get the number of people who will lose insurance down to only 21 million!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

If they can't proceed and have to rewrite, do you know if the CBO are required to reescore the bill when it's resibmitted?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Inshallah.

Do we have any Den senators repeatedly throwing public option bills at the wall?

anything a democratic senator proposes doesn't get a vote and has as much impact on the world as you personally mailing a proposed bill to McConnell's office and less impact than a precocious four year old girl submitting a bill written in crayon (because her bill might actually get attention and a vote)

they could force hard votes if this came to the floor in the "vote-a-rama" that happens if the motion to proceed succeeds, but we're all much better off if we never get there

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DaveWoo posted:

Welp, that's it for this version of the bill, at least.

Maybe next time they can get the number of people who will lose insurance down to only 21 million!

So she and rand paul and Mnuchin were enough to bring this down?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they don't pass this before the end of the week, they only have July 9-30 to rewrite and pass something or it's dead for good right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

If they can't proceed and have to rewrite, do you know if the CBO are required to reescore the bill when it's resibmitted?

I know that it has to have a score before it can get a final vote but I don't know if it needs one before the motion to proceed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

:bisonyes:

Looking like total Republican failure at the moment. But as always, hope is a lie

They've gotten poo poo through at the last second before, don't count them out yet.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

anything a democratic senator proposes doesn't get a vote and has as much impact on the world as you personally mailing a proposed bill to McConnell's office and less impact than a precocious four year old girl submitting a bill written in crayon (because her bill might actually get attention and a vote)

they could force hard votes if this came to the floor in the "vote-a-rama" that happens if the motion to proceed succeeds, but we're all much better off if we never get there

Can minority party get CBO scores on proposals? Might be good for campaigning if so.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they don't pass this before the end of the week, they only have July 9-30 to rewrite and pass something or it's dead for good right?

I don't think Cornyn is actually correct that August 1st is the drop dead date, legislatively. The actual drop dead date is when the fiscal year ends, I think, because then they have to move onto the 2018 reconciliation bill and they've lost this one. I think that's sometime in September.

There is probably a point before September that McConnell would decide to just have a vote, let it fail, and move onto cutting taxes before he actually was required to.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Not a Children posted:

So she and rand paul and Mnuchin were enough to bring this down?

Lee of Utah didn't like it either.

Anything come from that tick tick guy?

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

free win idea for republicans:

you take the ACA and change its name to TrumpCare.

change nothing.

conservatives suddenly love it and support it.

it's like telling children "no those aren't lima beans, they're dinosaur eggs"

i'm certain it would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
McConnel is going figure out some tricky way to shovel 100 billion dollars directly into Maine's rural hospitals. Maybe he can wrap it into an infrastructure bill to hire out-of-work coal miners to literally drive bails of cash to Acadia

• Locked thread