Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

hobbesmaster posted:

only in the most fishmechian "the c++ standard says that the integer limits are the same as C" way

i think 'fishmechian' is one of the best way to describe anyone who works on a modern, 2fast2furious c[++] compiler. you need to have at least dropped out of (and preferably completed) law school to even start discussing the language specs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

why are types in c so convoluted anyway? is the answer "int was once upon a time a thin wrapper over a hardware register size"?
the standard is intentionally vague about how large any of the integer types are (short, int, long, long long) because over specifying it would make the language hard to port to $random_dsp_architecture. as a result it's a complete crapshoot and even people who write c for a living have no idea what's going on. if they just provided a bunch of fixed width types and a $register_size type from the start it would have saved a fair amount of pain for everyone. of course that might make life hard for the wierdos with 36bit computers

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'd get nervous on answering immediately the size of int, I'd need to think for a bit

(ok char is 256, OBVIOUSLY because ascii and stuff, so 8 bits. then short is double that 16, and int is double that... then 32. cue in talk about architectures here)

I'm just used to typing u16, i32 etc that I never think about the basic types anymore

i always feel kind of dirty for using fixed width int types for random poo poo like loop counters. there's nothing about a loop counter that requires it to be a 32bit unsigned integer, but the default types are a crapshoot and i cba thinking about it

FMguru posted:

theres been a real downturn in signed chars since smartphones became a thing

because char is unsigned on arm :eng101:

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
JESUS CHRIST SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT INTS

GOD

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

travelling wave posted:

the standard is intentionally vague [...] because over specifying it would make the language hard to port

"Hey, so, programming is literally exclusively concerned with the manipulation of numbers. Shouldn't we clearly define what those numbers are? First?"

"No"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ints are cool & good and so are languages that are "close to the metal" like c & c++

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

travelling wave posted:

the standard is intentionally vague about how large any of the integer types are [...] because over specifying it would make the language hard to port

"Hey, we want to make it so it's as easy as possible to port this language. That's our top priority!"

[creates programming language where it's a mystery what int i = 32768; does on any given platform]

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

double ohm seven posted:

JESUS CHRIST SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT INTS

GOD

no

Doom Mathematic posted:

"Hey, we want to make it so it's as easy as possible to port this language. That's our top priority!"

[creates programming language where it's a mystery what int i = 32768; does on any given platform]

yep

in all fairness moving from one platform to another usually requires re-learning all manner of stupid poo poo, so it's not out of character

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
a friend told me to send a resume to the company he works at, he said if I get hired he gets a bonus. is it kosher to mention it in the motivation letter? like "I got interested in the company via the recommendation of *butt's friend name*"

or should I only say this after they start the process?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

typically youd send your resume to your friend and he would pass it on, but either way you should be explicit from the start

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

travelling wave posted:

in all fairness moving from one platform to another usually requires re-learning all manner of stupid poo poo, so it's not out of character

otoh i ported some of my code from x86-64 to arm32 by just copying the repo over running make and it worked great

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Cocoa Crispies posted:

otoh i ported some of my code from x86-64 to arm32 by just copying the repo over running make and it worked great

love to overflow 👅💦

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

love to overflow 👅💦

nah i used stdint.h because libc is nice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's a bit weird that you can't trap overflow in c given that most architectures have a condition flag for it and everything

(except risc-v because they don't have any flags whatsoever and they point to the lack of this very language feature in c as a major justification)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i had a lot of fun writing c in school, but i get the feeling that if the instructors had gotten more in the weeds on the implementation details it would have been a stressful death march instead. it's me, casting everything to void * when i want to do pointer arithmetic.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

c is fun for hobby programming

i think it's probably hell professionally, and c++ doubly so

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

it's a bit weird that you can't trap overflow in c given that most architectures have a condition flag for it and everything

(except risc-v because they don't have any flags whatsoever and they point to the lack of this very language feature in c as a major justification)

duh just check the result before you use it:
C code:
int size;

size = EXPR;

if (size > INT_MAX || size <= 0) {
    return NULL;
}

dest = calloc(size, sizeof(char));

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

c is fun for hobby programming

i think it's probably hell professionally, and c++ doubly so

yeah

at my first paid c job, we took a week to figure out that someone fundamentally misunderstood the arguments to fread and was scribbling all over the stack as a result

when building challenges for cgc qualifiers the event organizers were running their own fuzzing and such looking for unintended vulnerabilities (vs. intended vulnerabilities which were the only ones under consideration for cqe) and found a lot, and most of mine were… integer overflows

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
since half of you are in the bay, what's the best isp out there? i have u verse now and am p happy but if anything else is less expensive without being shittier I'm down. all the cable companies in Wisconsin suck rear end.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

since half of you are in the bay, what's the best isp out there? i have u verse now and am p happy but if anything else is less expensive without being shittier I'm down. all the cable companies in Wisconsin suck rear end.

you will basically have two options: comcast or att, no idea what things are like in the burbs with att speeds but here in downtown sf they are garbage so everyone gets comcast

if you have decent dsl access see if you can get sonic.net, they use att's infrastructure but aren't idiot hell fuckers like att

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
at&t has gigabit in parts of the South Bay. if you can get that do it. otherwise Comcast

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mishaq posted:

ints are cool & good and so are languages that are "close to the metal" like c & c++

this, but the exact opposite

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

if you like C++ for any reason other than it makes you feel ultra smart when you manage to get anything productive done in it, then you're an instant rejection in my eyes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my favorite part of job seeking threads is watching seekers go from asking advice to full tilt question-answering-mode with little to no pause between

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

qhat posted:

If you honestly gently caress up on an ultra basic question in that way, then the only logical conclusion that can be drawn from that is "this person has absolutely no idea what they are talking about"

In the days of dial up had a prospective client ask me "how do I get your software?"

"We'll give you a couple disks"

"And how much memory does your software use?"

Two disks worth roughly, wtf but w/e

"Oh, about 3-4 megs"

"I see. And is that in RAM or in ROM?"

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

maybe i didn't bomb my amazon interview last november as bad as i thought since another recruiter just contacted, but this time for a position in LA instead of Seattle which is close enough for me to enjoy another 2-3hr commute (kill me).
of course they contacted me on a different e-mail address so maybe once they find out who i am they will ghost me.
gonna try again anyway since waiting for the feds sucks.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaman Linavi posted:

maybe i didn't bomb my amazon interview last november as bad as i thought since another recruiter just contacted, but this time for a position in LA instead of Seattle which is close enough for me to enjoy another 2-3hr commute (kill me).
of course they contacted me on a different e-mail address so maybe once they find out who i am they will ghost me.
gonna try again anyway since waiting for the feds sucks.

amazon is a big company and failing one interview doesn't mean you're not a candidate for other interviews*

* unless you like, brought a gun to the interview and then left a giant poo poo on somebody's desk or something

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

cis autodrag posted:

The Bay Area ISP selection algorithm:

1) Am I in the area for sonic.net fiber? Hooray.
2) Am I in the area for AT&T gigabit? Ok then.
3) Am I in the area for Astound Cable? Not too bad.
4) Will work pay for home internet or do I need it reliable? -> Comcast Business Class
5) Well gently caress this sucks: -> Comcast Residential

Note that, because this is America, you will basically never ever have more than one of the above options at once.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

ShadowHawk posted:

The Bay Area ISP selection algorithm:

1) Am I in the area for sonic.net fiber? Hooray.
2) Am I in the area for AT&T gigabit? Ok then.
3) Am I in the area for Astound Cable? Not too bad.
4) Will work pay for home internet or do I need it reliable? -> Comcast Business Class
5) Well gently caress this sucks: -> Comcast Residential

Note that, because this is America, you will basically never ever have more than one of the above options at once.

chicago is pretty much the same but replace sonic.net with some fiber service I forget the name of and replace Astound with RCN

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
astound got bought out and it's called wave now and apparently it sucks way more

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

p much what shadowhawk posted, plus some local DSL carriers that max out at theoretical 20mbps or so

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

p much what shadowhawk posted, plus some local DSL carriers that max out at theoretical 20mbps or so
20? I wish

and this is smack dab in the middle of downtown sf so I just give comcast all my money

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qirex posted:

20? I wish

and this is smack dab in the middle of downtown sf so I just give comcast all my money

lol i just hit att earlier and i got

for rural san mateo county, where the nearest grocery store is ~25 mins away

but i think they got a box right next to me cuz i see att trucks there every couple months

e: i too am on comcast :(

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 27, 2017

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i suggest getting fios gigabit for 79.99 with a 2 year contract.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I think I am going to start looking for more figgies soon.

Full stack embedded Linux engineer and I make 80,000$. The company promised a bump to $120,000 after the product launched, but squelched on the deal and instead offered my 90,000$ instead because "they want to lower their debt."

Fuuuuuck that. I don't give a gently caress about your debt.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ratbert90 posted:

Full stack embedded Linux engineer and I make 80,000$. The company promised a bump to $120,000 after the product launched, but squelched on the deal and instead offered my 90,000$ instead because "they want to lower their debt."

👏always 👏 get 👏 it 👏 in 👏 writing 👏

and yeah similar poo poo is why I left the last company I worked for.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Classical Muzak posted:

👏always 👏 get 👏 it 👏 in 👏 writing 👏

and yeah similar poo poo is why I left the last company I worked for.

Oh, I had it in writing.
They squelched like a bitch and considering it's at-will employment in Michigan, there's nothing I can do about it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ratbert90 posted:

should have started looking when they made the promise hth

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

leper khan posted:

should have started looking when they made the promise hth

So I should have mentioned:

I took the 80k for 2 reasons:

1) It got me out of Idaho.
2) I was just going to be a systems engineer, not a full stack engineer.

When I became full stack I went to upper management and told them 80k isn't enough, that's when they promised me 120k after we did some negotiating.

Now; I would have liked to instantly start looking, but it's hard to not finish a project and look for another job. Especially after 18 months of being at a place. I would really like to have the product on my resume.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 27, 2017

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ratbert90 posted:

So I should have mentioned:

I took the 80k for 2 reasons:

1) It got me out of Idaho.
2) I was just going to be a systems engineer, not a full stack engineer.

When I became full stack I went to upper management and was told them 80k isn't enough, that's when they promised me 120k after we did some negotiating.

Now; I would have liked to instantly start looking, but it's hard to not finish a project and look for another job. Especially after 18 months of being at a place. I would really like to have the product on my resume.

I understand where you're coming from. Good luck finding a new job that actually values you correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Classical Muzak posted:

I understand where you're coming from. Good luck finding a new job that actually values you correctly.

Thanks. Product release is the end of August. :unsmith:

• Locked thread