Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
It may be a passing craze, but it's only just begun. We've got Death March, Shield Bro and Izakaya Nobu coming up next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope there's an Isekai show where the guy (or a group of people) goes to another world but instead of following him/them, the plot follows all the acquaintances/family members left behind in the real world and how they adjust to this person / group of people disappearing from their lives.

Hopefully written by a guy who can actually write, as opposed to my disgusting fever dreams that inevitably end up with me re-enacting a similar plot to the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (where they travel around the country beating up nay-sayers on the internet who dissed Bluntman & Chronic, not the part where they listen to Morris Day and The Time killing it).

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 26, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Wark Say posted:

I hope there's an Isekai show where the guy goes to another world but instead of following him, the plot follows all the people he left behind in the real world and how they adjust to this person / group of people disappearing from their lives.

Hopefully written by a guy who can actually write, as opposed to my disgusting fever dreams that inevitably end up with me re-enacting a similar plot to the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (where they travel around the country beating up nay-sayers on the internet who dissed Bluntman & Chronic, not the part where they listen to Morris Day and The Time killing it).

I think they called that one The X Files.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't that what the Leftovers is about?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how would that be different from any other unexplained disappearance? i think a good premise is someone returning from their stint as an isekai hero, but without them remaining an invincible magic god. some dude dealing with ptsd, re-entering society after being missing for years, conflicts that can't be resolved with a legendary sword, etc.

that wouldn't be much of a power fantasy though, and that is the sole reason the genre is popular at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 26, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Power fantasy by way of being a new iteration of the harem genre, in most cases.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There was .hack//Liminality, the anime that came in box with the original game series. It followed people in the real world trying to solve things in parallel with the plot of the games.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The "B" or "C" plot occasionally refers to the guy/group who left for another world. Let's say that you have 5 "main" characters and one of them gets transported to another world, but instead of the plot focusing exclusively on him/her and his/her trials and tribulations in the New World, it focuses more on the 4 people left behind and the Isekai hero/heroine who gets taken into the New World becomes a deuteragonist/tritagonist. Like how, instead of focusing on the "Power Fantasy", every time the Real World dudes and ladies do a thing of importance story-wise, the "Isekai" dude or lady gets some focus and it shows him either thriving ("gently caress yeah! I can cleave motherfucking dragons in half with my Sword/Scythe hybrid, yo'!") or struggling ("I need to wipe my rear end with WHAT? Urgh!").

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

chumbler posted:

Power fantasy by way of being a new iteration of the harem genre, in most cases.

So a modern light novel. Gotcha

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A bunch of people get stuck in an MMO, but the show is about the game's developers. They need to release a new update, but they don't know what will happen to the people trapped in the game during maintenance. They want to tweak the balance but they're worried that if they nerf a popular build, people might die

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hina logic sure has a lot going on.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

A bunch of people get stuck in an MMO, but the show is about the game's developers. They need to release a new update, but they don't know what will happen to the people trapped in the game during maintenance. They want to tweak the balance but they're worried that if they nerf a popular build, people might die

this, but a comedy

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

This, but a reverse harem

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's an example that came to mind: Imagine if Quantum Leap was written by Kouhei Kadono (Boogiepop) and we get to follow Al instead of Sam and, while Al does have other matters to attend to, some of his efforts do concern Sam's whereabouts, so the story would focus on Sam at times. It's just not the main focus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Here's an example that came to mind: Imagine if Quantum Leap was written by Kouhei Kadono (Boogiepop) and we get to follow Al instead of Sam and, while Al does have other matters to attend to, some of his efforts do concern Sam's whereabouts, so the story would focus on Sam at times. It's just not the main focus.
my brain is melting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sleep properly, otherwise more brain-melting hallucinations will ensue. I mean, if you wanna.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Namtab posted:

Hina logic sure has a lot going on.

does doga kobo's power level rise inversely to the number of boys in their shows

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I just hope it's a passing craze

It's cyclical, something similar was big in the 90s and it goes back at least to Aura Battle Dunbine in 1983

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
please edit your post to rhyme with billy mays

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

does doga kobo's power level rise inversely to the number of boys in their shows

Absolutely.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the only good Transported To Fantasy World LN is Do You Like Your Mom? Her Normal Attack is Two Attacks at Full Power

it's probably bad but the title owns.....powerful mom.....

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

Especially if said boys also count as girls (see Mikoshiba)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Especially if said boys also count as girls (see Mikoshiba)

:thunk:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could say that Mikoshiba's whole shtick was that he's a male dude that acts like a Female Tsundere, but there's much more to his adorably idiocy that I can't honestly bring myself to say that he's just a tsundere.

And because I still laugh when remembering what causes this scene:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
everyone in nozaki-kun is the best but mikoshiba is the real best

god nozaki-kun is so loving good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mikorin best girl

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Great, I will add it to the pile of things to watch!

(Though I would still like Love Lab season 2)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Moltrey posted:

everyone in nozaki-kun is the best but mikoshiba is the real best

god nozaki-kun is so loving good

Maeno is not the best, but in fact, the worst.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Guy Goodbody posted:

this, but all the developers are women with an incredibly complicated web of unrequited crushes on each other

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's the last week before the season starts in force, so don't forget to vote for which shows you'd like to see in the seasonal stream here!

I'll check the votes a final time around 10pm CST this Friday, and finalize the schedule according to that. In the meantime expect a smallish stream this Sunday, July 2 and a larger one on Sunday, July 9. There are a few odds and ends left after that which will get tossed into a stream Friday, June 14 or Saturday, June 15. Temporary schedule will be up tonight or tomorrow.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

any show concept, but now with lesbians

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

any show concept, but now with lesbians

Who are also fujos.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sindai posted:

this, but all the developers are women with an incredibly complicated web of unrequited crushes on each other

this, but the crushes are requited

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

this, but the crushes are requited

This, but the MC is a genderswapped Yoshi-P.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

chumbler posted:

Maeno is not the best, but in fact, the worst.
his tanukis are good tho

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Best Girl with Best Laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFIe1D7cC4

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's Not Mikorin

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

It means no worries, for the rest of your daaaays

In this part of japan, we all have a saying: Whenever something bad happens, we just throw our hands into the sky, and say "Hasa Diga Isekai"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Freakazoid_ posted:

In this part of japan, we all have a saying: Whenever something bad happens, we just throw our hands into the sky, and say "Hasa Diga Isekai"

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wow

• Locked thread