Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Working on a very dumb conversion idea I had. Needs a lot of work, have to reseat the cannon so that it's not slanted and have to do a ton of greenstuffing to get the cables looking like they're connecting to it and to clean up the back of it (I cut off the servo arm and moved it to the back supporting the gun)

chutche2 hosed around with this model at Jun 26, 2017 around 15:58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So are we still sticking flamers on every guardsman (or equivalent) special weapon slot?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really dislike the skullface marines and think they'd be better left as a chapter specific unit rather than one everyone can use. They don't make a heap of sense.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

OhDearGodNo posted:

So are we still sticking flamers on every guardsman (or equivalent) special weapon slot?

Plasma guns are way better now in that they only murder your guardsman if you feel like PUSHIN IT TO THE LIMIT.

That being said, I just made a goofy list with a big ol ball of flamers and custodes because I have a whole bunch of AoS sword/shield liberators and I want to use the least-sketchy proxies in all of history. Gimme ur thoughts, friends.

NBA 2K CUSTODIAN GUARD ALLSTARS

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium) [1999 points]

+ HQ +

Captain in Terminator Armor [8 PL, 158pts]: Relic blade, Storm shield

Librarian in Terminator Armor [9 PL, 176pts]: 1) Veil of Time, 3) Null Zone, Force axe, Storm shield

+ Troops +

Custodian Guard Squad [14 PL, 270pts]
Custodian: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield
Shield-Captain: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield

Custodian Guard Squad [14 PL, 270pts]
Shield-Captain: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield

Custodian Guard Squad [14 PL, 291pts]
Custodian: Custodes Vexilla and Power Knife, Storm Shield
Shield-Captain: Power Knife, Sentinel Blade

+ Heavy Support +

Venerable Land Raider [19 PL, 370pts]: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter, 2x Twin-Linked Lascannons, Hunter Killer Missile

+ Elites +

Sternguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 166pts]
Space Marine Veteran: Combi-flamer
Space Marine Veteran w/Heavy Weapon: Combi-flamer
Space Marine Veteran w/Heavy Weapon: Combi-flamer
Veteran Sergeant: Combi-flamer, Power sword

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 108pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon, Hunter Killer Missile

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [12 PL, 190pts]
Hellblaster: Plasma incinerator
Hellblaster Sergeant: Plasma incinerator

I desperately want to roast something with that spicy razorback squad.

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 27, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

:sun: It's all tallboys by the pool on this special summer Badcast! :sun:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/06/26/40k-badcast-12-summertime-and-the-hammins-easy/

Can confirm Dan smells like cocoa butter and booty.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TwingeCrag posted:

I desperately want to roast something with that spicy razorback squad.

Play Blood Angels and give your Devastator squads heavy flamers

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

JBP posted:

I really dislike the skullface marines and think they'd be better left as a chapter specific unit rather than one everyone can use. They don't make a heap of sense.

I could see the skullface being cool on some chapter color schemes. As Imperial Fists the skullface can probably look more like a fancy mouth guard if painted up in black. Crimson Fists they can show off the two-tone color scheme quite nicely. They're tailor-made for Marines Malevolent, and a way to add shark teeth to them could be cool for Carcharodons. Blood Angels, Raven Guard, and Black Templars are perfect fits for them. Something like Ultramarines or Salamanders, though? Just doesn't work.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TKIY posted:

I get what you are going for here but the scale is just way too far off. I mean we all suspend our disbelief to play Space Barbies but that's just too much.

It's not actually *that* much bigger than the forgeworld model of the astral claws guy with a conversion beam, I dunno. My group does some big dumb conversions and likes the look of it so far.

You can't tell me the scale is off when lascannon devastators exist carrying guns that are bigger than they are. At least this guy has robot poo poo holding it up unlike they do.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 27, 2017

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Yeah the paint job isn't doing them any favors. Beautiful blue armor - pretty blonde hair - badass skull mask doesn't work well together

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Safe-Plasma will replace bolters like bolters replaced volkite.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Hixson posted:

Yeah the paint job isn't doing them any favors. Beautiful blue armor - pretty blonde hair - badass skull mask doesn't work well together

He looks like that Overwatch guy, you know, from Blizzard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

He looks like that Overwatch guy, you know, from Blizzard.

Yeah, but 76 doesn't necessarily have to wear a stupid skull mask over his mouth.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JBP posted:

Yeah, but 76 doesn't necessarily have to wear a stupid skull mask over his mouth.

He finally tied the knot with Reaper. It was beautiful.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I think those guys look like Coalition soldiers from Rifts.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Chaplains and Night Lords do skulls better

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Reivers look like Soldier: 76 and Reiper Reaper finally had the lovechild Tumblr told me they would.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I saw them photoshopped into Blood Angel red and they looked pretty sweet. I'm not completely convinced about the legs but it could be GW being terrible about the angle again

E:

Pendent fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 27, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I feel like a lot of times, Primaris models get better with a little bit of tweaking. For example, Inceptors with the hoods shoved off don't look like they're being dragged around by the necks.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

The Bee posted:

I feel like a lot of times, Primaris models get better with a little bit of tweaking. For example, Inceptors with the hoods shoved off don't look like they're being dragged around by the necks.

You got a pic of those inceptors? I was thinking about doing that. As well as taking the gun shields off.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So, how about this 2k list?

Battalion detachment:

HQ:
Vaylund Cal (200)
Chaplain (72)

Troops:
10x tac marines with plasmagun and plasma cannon (164)
10x tac marines with plasmagun and plasma cannon (164)
5x scouts with sniper rifles (75)

Elites:
Contemptor dreadnought with multimelta (167)
Apothecary (55)
5 cataphractii terminators (3 combi bolters, power sword, 2 chainfists, 2 double lightning claws, 230)

Heavy support:
Predator with twin lascannon, heavy bolters, storm bolter (174)
Deimos predator with plasma destroyer, heavy bolters (177)

Flyer:
Stormraven with twin assault cannon, typhoon launcher and hurricane bolters (307)

Outrider detachment:

Techmarine with conversion beamer and power axe (83)

Tarantula with twin heavy bolter (27)

Tarantula with twin assault cannon (45)

Tarantula with twin lascannon (60)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

You got a pic of those inceptors? I was thinking about doing that. As well as taking the gun shields off.

Pic courtesy of Reddit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Looks better without the hood for sure.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JBP posted:

Definitely agree. Going to do this to mine when I get the new starter.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Figured I post the army I've been building and painting for the last few months.

Da planez Boss! Da planez!

Da Battlewagons

Time to crack open a cold one with Da Boyz!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

I said I'd try to organize it, so here we go:

Let's all go to the DC AREA HAM SLAM!

What: some goons meet at someone's house or a game store and play Warhammer 40,000 for a day. I'm thinking more casual "let's meet up and play games" kind of thing, but if we could get some sides going, we could do a mini campaign.
When: (tentatively) July 15th. Just a suggestion, I have commitments on the 22nd and 29th, but we can do August, too, if people are busy.
Where: Ideally we could do it at someone's house if they have 2-3 tables, but if not [url//=huzzahhobbies.com/wordpress/]Huzzah Hobbies[/url] is a good store and has many tables.

DC/MD/VA Goons: respond here or PM me to let me know if you're interested or have a place to play that's not a store.

Ouch, Huzzah's pretty out of the way for me (To the tune of an hour and a half, though my usual store (Games and Stuff in glen burnie) is 50-60 minutes away since I live in Southern Maryland. I could make it over, but not really a regular thing. Dream Wizards seems a bit more managable a drive. Of course, there are probably more NOVA goonhams than Southern Maryland ones.

Since I can't really provide a place to play, I will extend an open offer to bring over some booze or buy some pizza for anything I can make it to at someone's house. Goons east of the beltway and annapolis area or further south especially welcome.

On a related note, how is the GW Store at Bowie? I heard it got shrunk down massively and is only 2 tables now or something, but that comes from someone who has written off all orks as horrible trash after playing three games with them, so I'm not sure how much I can trust his opinions on things being terrible.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Progress on my Howling Griffons. I've nearly completed 3 HQ (Captain in Gravis, 2 Lieutenants) and a full squad of Inceptors. There's minor things I have to touch up on each - bullet casings, the backpack on the Captain, metallic trim, stuff like that.

I've also decided on a basing scheme which i wanted to look like it was a dead world, and also be neutral so the models stand out more.

Anyway, here they are.

HQ Group:

Shooty Lt.

Inceptors:

Everything so far:

Are those shoulders pads from shapeways? Are they just little symbols you attach to the existing pad? Or are they entire pads?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah I can definitely dig it. Thanks Bee.

Still not sold on the foot plates but they look like a pain to completely remove with the side pistons. Maybe Ill turn them into climbing crampons and give them more of a talon vibe for the mortal wound charge.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Glad I could help. I feel like I'd try it myself if I ever got my hands on some Primaris, but I'm still solidly amateur-level so I'd be worried about damaging the rest of the Marine too. Unless, of course, anyone has tips for making easy, precise removals like that.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Struggling to source MKVI beakie helmets for my mad concept to convert all my Primaris to Rogue Trader style Crimson Fists. There don't seem to be many options other than ordering individual heads off eBay or wherever. Only decent pack is Forge World's Raven Guard, but those have a bunch of icons I would probably need to remove.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-DK/Raven-Guard-MKVI-Heads-Upgrade-Set

Any better options, including 3rd party?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Bee posted:

Glad I could help. I feel like I'd try it myself if I ever got my hands on some Primaris, but I'm still solidly amateur-level so I'd be worried about damaging the rest of the Marine too. Unless, of course, anyone has tips for making easy, precise removals like that.

Don't cut off the entire thing in one go. Slice and cut it back little by little, the way a surgeon would with bone.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

What prop bets do you guys make in your games? We'll bet on rules disagreements, whether or not a certain unit will die, and who'll take the objective at the end of the game sometimes.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

What prop bets do you guys make in your games? We'll bet on rules disagreements, whether or not a certain unit will die, and who'll take the objective at the end of the game sometimes.

And 9/10 times I win

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

JBP posted:

Don't cut off the entire thing in one go. Slice and cut it back little by little, the way a surgeon would with bone.

Yeah, cut it back little by little and invest in a decent file or two. Having some staged fine grits of sandpaper is nice as well, especially if youre going to work with resins and/or make use of tamiya gap filling putty/green stuff/milliput.

I find I dont even need the sand paper if Im just trimming plastic down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah, cut it back little by little and invest in a decent file or two. Having some staged fine grits of sandpaper is nice as well, especially if youre going to work with resins and/or make use of tamiya gap filling putty/green stuff/milliput.

I find I dont even need the sand paper if Im just trimming plastic down.

I never really file or sand down unless I gently caress up. You can get your knife close enough in to make a nice flat surface. I tend to whittle a bit when I get to the end.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

Ouch, Huzzah's pretty out of the way for me (To the tune of an hour and a half, though my usual store (Games and Stuff in glen burnie) is 50-60 minutes away since I live in Southern Maryland. I could make it over, but not really a regular thing. Dream Wizards seems a bit more managable a drive. Of course, there are probably more NOVA goonhams than Southern Maryland ones.

Since I can't really provide a place to play, I will extend an open offer to bring over some booze or buy some pizza for anything I can make it to at someone's house. Goons east of the beltway and annapolis area or further south especially welcome.

On a related note, how is the GW Store at Bowie? I heard it got shrunk down massively and is only 2 tables now or something, but that comes from someone who has written off all orks as horrible trash after playing three games with them, so I'm not sure how much I can trust his opinions on things being terrible.

Sup fellow Southern MD Goonham! I live in Waldorf. The Sex Cannon can attest that I am not a murderer.

The GW Store is no longer called GW; it's a "Warhammer" store run by one guy named Kevin who happens to be really nice and is trying his damndest to get a community up and running. Currently the store is mostly full of painters. It's clean, reasonably accessible, and Kevin is actually a pretty decent guy. It's worth the drive if you want to get out of your house. How the hell are you getting to G&S in less than an hour?

Also Orks are amazing.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

JBP posted:

I never really file or sand down unless I gently caress up. You can get your knife close enough in to make a nice flat surface. I tend to whittle a bit when I get to the end.

Yeah, but for someone new Id still recommend getting it down to a nub and then filing because I was certainly afraid of gouging my model with the knife (and for good reason because Ive totally misapplied pressure) when I started.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

And 9/10 times I win

That's why I have to call you Warmaster for the rest of your life

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

More drones and maybe some stealth suits, got it- thanks!

No problem. Sorry for the curt response, became busy mid post. :shobon:

You can still kinda gunline Tau because of how many models you have, but a comparable biker squad can multi-charge and effectively nullify your For the Greater Good overwatch. Having some nasty little stealth bastards darting around and dropping homing beacons for your commanders to outflank would be a nice addition.

I've mentioned this before, but shadowsun wrapped in 3 stealth and 2 drones gives her potentially 8 more wounds, allowing you to Montka or Kauyun before she gets sniped/punched off the table.

Throw in your marker lights, and now your broadsides can dump all kinds of bullshit on anything, especially stuff trying to pop your bubble wrap.

Add in a ghostkeel to do donuts on your opponents lawn while it sings dubstep and gives them the finger. It'll either get shot at more than your important poo poo, or it will shoot things with impunity.

There are always downsides, but why not have fun with them?

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 27, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

muggins posted:

Does anyone understand this? I've seen this criticism in a few places now

Page back but when people say rules feel "gamey" Its trying to label their dislike of simplified rules. And I kinda get that, but its from a sort of...cognitive distortion?
I'm a new ham player, started in 7th, like 6 months ago. As a brand new player the rules were daunting and had a sense of wonder and complexity to them.

Then you swap to 8th, with a very simplified ruleset, and everything just kinda clicks mechanically. Everything works together like cogs in a machine and your brain thinks "this lacks the wonder and depth of the rules before". That sort of magic of the daunting and incomprehensible ruleset is gone and the curtain has been pulled back.

But that isn't really the way to look at it because ultimately simple rules make for a better game in the long run. The mystery and wonder will wear off, good game balance stays.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Page back but when people say rules feel "gamey" Its trying to label their dislike of simplified rules. And I kinda get that, but its from a sort of...cognitive distortion?
I'm a new ham player, started in 7th, like 6 months ago. As a brand new player the rules were daunting and had a sense of wonder and complexity to them.

Then you swap to 8th, with a very simplified ruleset, and everythjng just kinda clicks mechanically. Your brain thinks "this lacks the wonder and depth of the rules before".

But that isn't really the way to look at it because ultimately simple rules make for a better game in the long run. The mystery and wonder will wear off, good game balance stays.

Ah, so DnD 4E syndrome. Got it.