Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Guy Goodbody posted:

or play a new game that's better

now you're talking some sense! :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You: Now we need to create a custom mock-up of Star Fox 2 box art to print out and place on our shelves.

Nintendo: Way ahead of ya mang.

https://www.retrogamecases.com/shop/snes-horizontal/starfox-2-2/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You: Now we need to create a custom mock-up of Star Fox 2 box art to print out and place on our shelves.

Wait, the Japanese version has different games? Weird for that one to have SSF2 while the American one has SF2Turbo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Wait, Yoshi is spelled Yossy in Japan? What? They must have thought that would translate better to roman characters or something, but Yoshi is way better...

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

the japanese one has panel de pon??

hosed AGAIN

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaphod42 posted:

lol like for real

so for real. rom poo poo was more integral to our generation, with little to no regard for social or racial lines, than a lot of people might realize

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait, Yoshi is spelled Yossy in Japan? What?

it's like nessie maybe i dunno they pronounce the two the same way so why wouldn't they spell them similarly too?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 27, 2017

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So for the Super Famicom Mini, it's:

- Street Fighter 2 Turbo
- Super Punch-Out!!
- Kirby's Dream Course
- Earthbound
- Super Castlevania IV
+ Super Street Fighter 2
+ Fire Emblem 4
+ Panel de Pon
+ Legend of the Mystical Ninja
+ Super Formation Soccer

The Street Fighter situation is weird. I don't know why we wouldn't all get the same one (Super). I'd trade Dream Course for either Panel or Mystical Ninja, but I think in the end US has the better lineup.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Oyster posted:

This article is brought up a lot, and it really seems like he's talking about an old ROM. There are multiple ROMs out there in different states, and the latest one has "roguelike encounters" and "different arenas", while the early alpha ROM did not have those. I'm happy to be wrong, I'll take more Star Fox 2, but I'm extremely skeptical.

I had this feeling as well, and to be fair I am presuming that a dev who cared about a project they worked on would keep track of something like that (especially if it was potentially on the books for a re-release). It certainly could just be that he took 1 quick look years ago and is went from there.

Fwiw, someone on Gaf said about the roms, "It was obvious it wasn't quite done though, at least if you play the original non-modified rom". I only tried some of the other patched versions of the rom that had the bugs removed so idk.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ehhhhhh did you actually read the link though?

This is not actually a quote of Cuthbert saying "omg you guys the game is missing so much", this is a very game-of-telephone style bad journalism where the writer is injecting his own attitude and bias into the writing. What it really is, is that Cuthbert said to the author once (not quoted) that starfox 2 was missing some things, and the author then took that to mean "omg its missing so much you guys, like so much"

The only things actually mentioned missing: some rogue-style encounters, and some arenas.

Would be cool to have those things of course, but I really really really doubt that the final build of starfox 2 is anything more than a bug-fixed version of the romdump everybody has played.

Most of the things Cuthbert talks up in that interview are things they added or changed for the re-release, not necessarily missing features from the SNES. And even then he doesn't really say anything definitive beyond "roguelike and a few arenas".

(keep in mind the point Oyster made, if you're talking about those features as not new. That's certainly a mixup there)

I, uh, am pretty sure I read it right? Not trying to troll, but it sounds like you aren't interpreting it right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're saying this: He's saying that it's the final version of the game, but that final version is missing things he wanted to put in the game originally. Is that wrong?

Like, I don't think this is a case of lovely journalism. Cuthbert's quote itself says, "The videos out there are an old build of the game, it isn't the final build that we had", and then cites the missing features. And the article writer treated it with almost the exact same tone, saying that the current rom is "not fully representative of the final product", which is a fair way to represent that original statement. The only real spin the writer took was saying that it was that the developer would be the most trustworthy source on this issue, and that's not exactly a crazy position to take.

Maybe you're conflating what we're saying with old build vs final build as saying that the game was 60% complete in the old rom and that the final-version-that-may-or-may-not-be-the-snes-mini-version rom adds in the remaining 40%? Make no mistake, I don't think that's what it says at all; I think in truth the rom that's out there (if it's not the actual final build) has to be at worst 95% done cause it's probably the one that was done at the time the decision was made. I'm not expecting the new release to suddenly add in tons of new content or anything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the Japanese version is def worse. No Punchout, Earthbound, or Castlevania? I 'd take those over Goemon, Panel Pon, and Soccer any day.

The fact that all regions don't get Super Street Fighter is just flat out moronic though. I guess Nintendo just had to throw one more screwball decision in there, unless there's some wild and wacky explanation for this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Legend of the Mystical Ninja is one of my favorite games of all time

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Legend of the Mystical Ninja is one of my favorite games of all time

It's sad that Nintendo just somehow couldn't possibly fit another 32mb on the SNES Classic for it

Panel Pon and Fire Emblem I can understand, it's nippon only, but it just makes zero sense to not put a fully translated game on the other regions

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

katkillad2 posted:

:same:

I can't wait to have those lovely articles shoved in my face that say, "Can't find a Snes mini? Here's how you can play the entire library for $50bux!!!"

Want something but you can't get? Here is how to still not get the thing you actually wanted

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Read Dylan Cuthbert's twitter. He's saying the same thing: The ROM that floating around out there is not the final mastered build of the game and is missing some features that are in the final mastered build of the game, which was completed prior to being cancelled. There exists a mastered ROM and he's played it.

Fun fact: about 10 years ago I posted about the Star Fox 2 translation patch being released. This has been a long time coming, I can't wait to play it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So, looks like the SFC Classic trades Earthbound, Kirby's Dream Course, Super Punch-Out, and Castlevania 4
for
Fire Emblem, "Super Formation Soccer" (did that come out in the US in any form?), Mystical Ninja, and Panel de Pon (aka "Tetris Attack")

I kinda feel like they get a slightly better selection, but I never really liked Super-Punchout and am not as emotionally attached to Earthbound as most goons, whereas Mystical Ninja and Tetris Attack were two of my favorites. I like Fire Emblem too but I'm not well versed enough in the series to know whether the one in their set is one of the "good ones."

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait, Yoshi is spelled Yossy in Japan? What? They must have thought that would translate better to roman characters or something, but Yoshi is way better...

Japanese romanizations are never very consistent, it's mostly decorative for their purposes.
See also: "Katamari Damacy"

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 27, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet; The SNES Mini is going to use the same WiiMote sockets for the controllers as the NES one, the front of the console shown is just an aesthetic cover.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ventana posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're saying this: He's saying that it's the final version of the game, but that final version is missing things he wanted to put in the game originally. Is that wrong?

Well, he didn't work on the original game at all, so that's not quite right. He only worked on a port later down the road. He doesn't work as a dev for Nintendo.

I was saying that he mistakenly thought the version we had was missing lots of features when it wasn't (explained by oyster's post) and that the version we have is or is close to the final version nintendo produced. That version has everything that was "supposed" to be in SF2 for the most part, with maybe some bugs.

Nintendo constantly said the game was basically done and just decided not to release it, and there's a ROMdump version out that is extremely playable and quite fun. I have a hard time imagining that tons of things are missing, it already shows a ton of work and changes from Starfox 1 and doesn't feel like its missing anything huge. It feels like a finished SNES game, not an alpha work in progress build.

Ventana posted:

Like, I don't think this is a case of lovely journalism. Cuthbert's quote itself says, "The videos out there are an old build of the game, it isn't the final build that we had", and then cites the missing features. And the article writer treated it with almost the exact same tone, saying that the current rom is "not fully representative of the final product", which is a fair way to represent that original statement. The only real spin the writer took was saying that it was that the developer would be the most trustworthy source on this issue, and that's not exactly a crazy position to take.

I'm overstating the case because all journalists are poo poo now and I don't like that none of them even try, but dude,
That isn't a quote.

It says, verbatim:

quote:

As for Star Fox 2, Cuthbert insisted once again that the widely circulated 'leaked' ROM is not fully representative of the final product, and frankly we'll take his word for it

That isn't a quote dude. That's him saying "I talked to Cuthbert and he said something to the lines of". If its not a quote, I don't trust it. If he had something definitive that Cuthbert said, he would have quoted him. Instead he just hand waives it as "he insisted that isn't not fully representative" and leaves it at that.

The only quote is

quote:

"I can't really comment on that [feelings about the ROM], and it's illegal to do reproduction cartridges. The videos I've seen of that build show it to be an old build and not the final one as there are some major gameplay elements missing such as the rogue-style encounter system and more variations of the various arenas and setups."

So he begins by saying "I can't really comment" and then says "I saw a video of something that didn't look like the finished game" and that's about it for hard facts. There's nothing really definitive here.

But the "major gameplay elements missing" doesn't really jive with me. The game is already technically impressive and very different from a design standpoint from anything else Nintendo did on SNES. To go further would be really crazy, although I guess I'd love to be surprised and find that Nintendo had plans to make a full random ship generator or something like that :v:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 27, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

The fact that all regions don't get Super Street Fighter is just flat out moronic though. I guess Nintendo just had to throw one more screwball decision in there, unless there's some wild and wacky explanation for this.

The schism between capcom usa and capcom japan over the proper speed of street fighter2 is well documented.

Choice quote from the guy that pushed for HF to be made

quote:

A big nightmare fight happened over there, over the fact that basically no one wanted to make it faster, and unfortunately the market spoke. My mentor Akira Nishitani was very disappointed with the fact that I wanted to make it faster. He no longer was my mentor after that. Because he had, down to the milliseconds, on how people could respond to seeing a fireball [by jumping over it, and then how the other player could counter with an] uppercut. And this was breaking all of that research he did. And I just showed him, at the end of the day, you speed it up 15 percent, people will adapt and they'll be able to see it. So that created a bit of a falling out. ... On Hyper Fighting, [Nishitani] washed his hands of it.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 27, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

lovely Wizard posted:

I'd pay 60 usd for a full 3d version of Mother 3 even at n64 level graphics. Probably bad fiscal decision though.

Also now that I think about it, they could adjust that BS Zelda Satellaview into an unreleased "hd" (more like mario all-stars but with 1 game) version of Zelda 1. They could even port over the unique radio audio style campaigns with some new voice actors. For a Zelda game it'd be relatively low cost for an "unreleased Zelda" experience.

Imagine Mother 3 but with Wind Waker graphics.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Spacebump posted:

Imagine Mother 3 but with Wind Waker graphics.

turn based RPGs are almost always worse in 3D imo

that's my 2 centz

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

https://twitter.com/necrosofty/status/879487208306089985

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ventana posted:

Maybe you're conflating what we're saying with old build vs final build as saying that the game was 60% complete in the old rom and that the final-version-that-may-or-may-not-be-the-snes-mini-version rom adds in the remaining 40%? Make no mistake, I don't think that's what it says at all; I think in truth the rom that's out there (if it's not the actual final build) has to be at worst 95% done cause it's probably the one that was done at the time the decision was made. I'm not expecting the new release to suddenly add in tons of new content or anything.

...what the gently caress?

You literally posted

Ventana posted:

It may be the more updated version of the game. The ROM leak wasn't the most up to date build apparently and is said to be missing quite a few features.

Now you're walking that back and saying that all along you believed the ROM leak was 95% done? Uhhhhhhh

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

placeholder Amazon link for the SNES Classic:

https://www.amazon.com/Placeholder-...classic+edition

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
EB Games Australia's also taking preorders already.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I know Star Fox framerate was bad and will probably remain bad in order to reproduce the original experience %100, but I wonder if they might take Star Fox 2's even worse framerate and improve it somehow, since there is no "original experience" to copy. It was never released.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is this the 3ds thread?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I know Star Fox framerate was bad and will probably remain bad in order to reproduce the original experience %100, but I wonder if they might take Star Fox 2's even worse framerate and improve it somehow, since there is no "original experience" to copy. It was never released.

Its not a matter of "original experience" its a matter of them probably not having the original source code anymore and not wanting to gently caress with trying to reverse engineer and hack the game into working better. Just forcing it faster could cause all kinds of bugs.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, he didn't work on the original game at all, so that's not quite right. He only worked on a port later down the road. He doesn't work as a dev for Nintendo.

If you read the article I linked, or checked out the page for his studio Q-Games, you'd see this is not quite the case. He worked for Argonaut, helped on Star Fox and is said to have been on the staff for Star Fox 2, citing work with them up till the cert process and after. He may have only had minimal influence on Star Fox 1, but he's listed as a programmer for 2. He's not Nintendo no, but he definitely worked on the game.

Zaphod42 posted:

but dude, That isn't a quote.

You're really getting riled up about something, so I'm sorry? Maybe you're upset that I paraphrased it? Which I can admit, I was doing lazy internet shorthand of putting my paraphrase in quotation marks.

In any case, it sounds like you're making some sort of case here that he's doing improper reporting when there really isn't. The writer summarizes a new key point of info in the article by paraphrasing Cuthbert's words, then quotes his words exactly. That's normal journalism. I wasn't conflating the two; I even pointed it out myself? I wasn't telling you to only believe the article writer or anything, I was just pointing out that he was doing a mostly accurate summary in that paraphrasing fashion.

It looks like you're just not interpreting Cuthbert's quote right. Or at least, you don't seem to believe Cuthbert is really saying that the leaked rom isn't the full representation he intended. Does this quote from the other older article help get the point across?

quote:

In a neat twist, it would be during the production of Star Fox Command that Cuthbert was re-acquainted with his past, ill-fated project. "During development we received a copy of the mastered Star Fox 2 ROM to play, and it was quite a blast." This ROM would have been the final game, complete with QA tweaks and ready for a release that never happened. Cuthbert is keen to point out that this version is far superior to the numerous leaked prototype ROMs which are currently doing the rounds on the web - the leaking of which has been erroneously attributed to himself. "There are a few ROMs on the net in various conditions," he states. "But the ones I checked out are all old and they don't have the randomizing Rogue-like stuff working or all the encounters in place, so you don't really get the feel of the game we were making."

Regardless if you believe Cuthbert or not, it certainly looks like his stance is that the leaked rom isn't representative of the intended product. That's the key emotion behind that snippet I bolded, and that's what the writer of the newer article was reflecting in his "not fully representative of the final product" line. I don't think the writer of the newer article was being out of line in trying to represent it that way, nor out of line by implying that a dev knows best.

That said, you still are free to disagree with Cuthbert and claim that the leaked rom truly is representative of the intended vision. I mostly would agree with that as well, as I said earlier.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 27, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaphod42 posted:

Now you're walking that back and saying that all along you believed the ROM leak was 95% done? Uhhhhhhh

I'll admit, I was hesistant about using those choice of words in that post for that exact reason. I meant "quite a few" to mean something small, though not everyone interprets the phrase that way. I'll apologize for that mixup, and I'll reiterate that the second quote there is closer to what I mean (that it's 95% with some new things still left out).

That said, I hope we're not arguing over each other on this, cause I think we both agree that the changes won't be drastic for the end user or the ideal experience. I'd still call it by "the most updated version with new features", but perhaps you wouldn't go that far.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not a matter of "original experience" its a matter of them probably not having the original source code anymore and not wanting to gently caress with trying to reverse engineer and hack the game into working better. Just forcing it faster could cause all kinds of bugs.

They could put something in the option menu to run with overclocked SuperFX. I tried out Starfox with the SuperFX overclocked to around double its regular speed on real hardware and nothing seemed broken.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuuuuuuck there is a thread for the Nintendo mini consoles shut up about them in the switch thread

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fuuuuuuck there is a thread for the Nintendo mini consoles shut up about them in the switch thread

People would shut up if vc was announced

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

They could put something in the option menu to run with overclocked SuperFX. I tried out Starfox with the SuperFX overclocked to around double its regular speed on real hardware and nothing seemed broken.

I should try that. That 60fps SNES Star Fox microgame in WarioWare: Smooth Moves is really good. 64 is easily the best Star Fox but I still find something appealing about the SNES ones.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Switch related content: I'm not getting a Snes mini and would rather prefer Nintendo put any SF2 release on the eventual Switch VC

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

C-SPAN Caller posted:

People would shut up if vc was announced

I really hope that game netflix thing they talked about replaces Virtual Console

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really hope that game netflix thing they talked about replaces Virtual Console

I think that adds to the whole drama around the SNES Mini, because they only mentioned NES games in their last announcement about that service. If they are going to purposefully hold off on SNES games for the Switch because of the Mini, that would be really dumb

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
guys... is super mario world not perfect for switch?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ventana posted:

I'll admit, I was hesistant about using those choice of words in that post for that exact reason. I meant "quite a few" to mean something small, though not everyone interprets the phrase that way. I'll apologize for that mixup, and I'll reiterate that the second quote there is closer to what I mean (that it's 95% with some new things still left out).

That said, I hope we're not arguing over each other on this, cause I think we both agree that the changes won't be drastic for the end user or the ideal experience. I'd still call it by "the most updated version with new features", but perhaps you wouldn't go that far.

I was literally trying to just say "hey its not going to be that different" from the beginning, so if that was really your stance I don't know why you replied to me and made such a big deal out of it. You should just say "yeah I agree". I feel like you're bullshitting me here.

Like why would you say

"Hey guys there could be quite a few things missing from that romdump we could get from the snes mini version!*"
*and by quite a few I mean not much, barely any, you should just play the romdump cause it'll be mostly the same

It completely contradicts your point... if that's what you meant you really should have said something to that effect. Any words that clued in on that would have been something, but you just presented it as "hey check this out there's quite a lot missing! This is exciting!" so of course I read it that way??

Whatever man.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Yeah, hope they do. Because Starfox at 10-15fps is gonna be a rude awakening for lots of people, especially anybody who didn't play it as a kid already. I'm always in favor of giving people options; try this, if it doesn't work, try that instead! But you know how Nintendo is, so we'll see.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Maybe we will be blessed with the first few VC games being the CDI Games with the zelda games being remade in the BOTW engine.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

HyperPuma posted:

guys... is super mario world not perfect for switch?

I think yes... just perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i fear nothing perfect can exist in this life

• Locked thread