Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

homeless snail posted:

Do a lot of people still play Pavlov?

I just bought it and I don't like it tbh. Played a few games, couldn't figure out how to buy anything so I capped a teammate and took their gun. :commissar:

It felt like slower CS 1.2ish gameplay with clunky reloads that took my eyes off of the battlefield.

I got Serious Sam too, and it works better for me with no reloads and fast pace. Though the first time a skeleton attacked from behind I pood a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I just bought it and I don't like it tbh. Played a few games, couldn't figure out how to buy anything so I capped a teammate and took their gun. :commissar:

It felt like slower CS 1.2ish gameplay with clunky reloads that took my eyes off of the battlefield.

Press the right side of the right touchpad, it brings up a radial menu that lets you buy stuff.

Reloading is fine, I do it without looking now. You can also run by holstering your weapon with the grip button, then click the left touchpad in while pressing a direction.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

homeless snail posted:

Do a lot of people still play Pavlov?
It's the only VR shooter that has players as far as I can tell. Battle Arena is similarly fun, but the few issues it has keeps enough people away that it's going to die. Pavlov nowadays is a crapshoot of which workshop map is running on the 2 servers that have players during prime time. Gameplay is top-notch as far as I'm concerned, and you'll enjoy it if you've ever enjoyed a few rounds of Counter-strike.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm sure Onward still has players

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Yeah I don't have Onward, but generally multiplayer VR titles (especially at the <$20 range) seem to have a problem with player population at this point in time

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah totally, I think Onward is a special case because it was more or less the first game of that type and it ended up getting more traction, so I think it's probably got one of the healthiest populations

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I should also mention that playing the Facility from Goldeneye in Pavlov is kinda like realizing a childhood fantasy. Loses major points for only being the earlier half of the map and for super lovely spawns, but worth the price of admission.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I can play an entire match of pavlov in the time it takes me to load onward, load into a lobby, wait for the round to end and then spawn into the game. I keep wanting to like it but there's just no contest, standing around with the headset on is simply worst. It's way more annoying than normal.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, that's part of the reason I never got into it. It's just too janky for me, in many subtle ways.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Thanks to Hover Junkers, I doubt I'll ever buy any multiplayer VR game any time in the near future.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Luckily, Echo Arena will be free!!!

Echo Arena!!!!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Luckily, Echo Arena will be free!!!

Echo Arena!!!!

It's really smart of them to make the MP component free.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

It's really smart of them to make the MP component free.

Yeah I was gonna pass on Lone Echo because I'm sickness prone and figured it would be pretty intense, but I played Echo Arena standing up and somehow everything kinda clicked and I was okay. Like I almost fell over a couple times but I never got nauseous.

I got ill just doing the ISS simulator which has very similar locomotion, but I noticed in this you don't rotate at all and you can see your own body with good kinematics, I think those both helped a lot to keep me grounded. Think I'll gonna pick up Lone Echo now.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Oh daaaaaamn

Wonder if there'll be a separate MP buy for vive owners or if you just have to buy the full SP game to get it.

Also lol I was so excited to load up Thrill Of The Fight and then every time I went to cover up and block, my hands just smashed right into this huge honking thing that was welded to the front of my face for some reason. Guess my style is mayweather/toney until gen 3

It's gonna be a wild time when we get full-on pvp melee games (...is echo arena the first one with it, technically? I just realized that was the first time I punched someone in VR, and it was great)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mellowjournalism posted:

Oh daaaaaamn

Wonder if there'll be a separate MP buy for vive owners or if you just have to buy the full SP game to get it.

Well, the MP is a separate product, so while theres no word yet on whether vive owners would have to purchase it instead of being able to download it for free, it shouldn't be tied to the single player game at all and I imagine would be fairly cheaper even then (though the SP game looks amazing as well...)

Also:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What is the single player version?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bhodi posted:

What is the single player version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dGmE8oVYg

The same zero G mechanics but single player narrative experience. It doesn't really have anything to do with the multiplayer arena beyond playing as a robot and being in zero G.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm sure it had something to do with the movement being so good. It would have been a terrible shame to not have a multiplayer game with them

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I got in for the last day of the MP beta and hooooo boy was it ever amazing.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
So echo arena is basically Enders game?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I think there's another one that is even more enders game, Detached maybe? idk

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Enders Game Polo

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Anyways, so, hey. I posted last year a bunch about photogrammetry after learning how accessible it could be from Pi Mu Rho, and I thought I would offer a little update in case anyone is curious about photogrammetry from the complete idiot amateur experience. I could get my previous scenes to work in valve's destinations (now just SteamVR home) but I wasn't happy with all the limitations of valve's program. Namely the graphical adjustments they did for performance that made complex scenes look bad, lack of some little bits of flair, and most importantly the reliance on being tied to steam and not being able to have a stand alone exe I could send someone, or even a non VR build to send to folks. I decided to try and figure out how to use unreal, as it looked like the most accessible. Boy was that hard for a novice thats never done any development work of any kind...

etc, etc, ridiculously cool example

Hey man, this is awesome stuff and I want to get into it. Been watching that great course someone linked to as well..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mOG_lpPnpY

Can I request that you start a photogrammetry/unreal engine/etc thread somewhere with more detail (links/programs you found helpful, problems/solutions you ran into)?
Your talents are wasted on fast-moving games thread, page 105

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's a couple of us in CC that have done photogram, you could start one there. We'll all share our tricks and experiences. All 3 of us.

Edit: Or just use the 3D CG thread.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 28, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chadzok posted:

Hey man, this is awesome stuff and I want to get into it. Been watching that great course someone linked to as well..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mOG_lpPnpY

Can I request that you start a photogrammetry/unreal engine/etc thread somewhere with more detail (links/programs you found helpful, problems/solutions you ran into)?
Your talents are wasted on fast-moving games thread, page 105

Sure, I'd be happy to make a big long post detailing every step, though like ^^^ said I'm not sure how much interest there would be in it for its own thread. It's a bit awkward as I'm really really an amateur with such a basic level of knowledge, but I can put together what I know and what problems I had to solve. Theres a lot of resources on photogrammetry out there, but not a whole lot on specifically capturing and recreating whole environments. Most stuff I saw when trying to find info was recording people with big rigs set up, or specific objects to later use.

Edit: Alright, well maybe I'll post something this weekend for all 5 people who are interested :P

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 28, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, for the record I was being serious. It might be a short lived thread, or a slow moving one, but I'd post I it. I've not done whole environments, just objects so I'd be interested in hearing what you've learned.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mutata posted:

Haha, for the record I was being serious. It might be a short lived thread, or a slow moving one, but I'd post I it. I've not done whole environments, just objects so I'd be interested in hearing what you've learned.

It's not like the VR thread is hard to keep up with, I think VR photogrammetry discussion would be a neat addition to this thread.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I'm also interested in a photogrammetry thread. I played around with it a bit but was having issues getting good results. I want get back into it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I bought a little swivel mount to use with cardboard camera, but the motor introduced too much vibration and it rotated too fast to be useful for panoramic captures. Looking at my vacation photos in the rift is still way better than a regular old photo album, I just wish I had a better way to take pictures.

I've also wanted to play with photogrammetry, but the price tag on the good software and not knowing where to start kind of put me off of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How is it powered? You could try under volting it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Agisoft Photoscan is the current standard-ish app. The standard license is $180 but they do have a free, fully functional 30 day trial.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Edit: Alright, well maybe I'll post something this weekend for all 5 people who are interested :P

Sounds good man, cheers. I'll follow along and ask stupid questions whether it's here or a separate thread.

I got started mucking around in the Unreal Engine today. It's a pretty amazing suite of tools, can't help but come up with ambitious concepts when combined with VR.
My vive won't be here for a couple days but I've already got lined up the first several months of games. Photogrammatically capturing my apartment is also something I'm looking forward to.

Converting my garage into a VR dungeon is almost complete, looks like I'll get 2.5*3.5m. I'm suspending the cables off the ceiling - will I need extensions for that size play area?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Maybe try a telescope mount, those move pretty slowly, maybe too slowly. They are pretty pricey though, think starting around 1k for a decent entry level one, so it might be a bit much for what you are doing.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm sure the answer is a resounding "no," but has there been any progress at all on creating virtual reality cameras that don't cost the better part of 10k? I really like the idea of creating a literal snap-shot in time that I can explore and walk through years later, but the entire process of photogrammetry is way beyond my ability level.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'm sure the answer is a resounding "no," but has there been any progress at all on creating virtual reality cameras that don't cost the better part of 10k? I really like the idea of creating a literal snap-shot in time that I can explore and walk through years later, but the entire process of photogrammetry is way beyond my ability level.

If you just kind of "take a bunch of photos" now, there's a good chance software will catch up over the years such that it'll be easy to create a model and explore it someday.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Kind of?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/22/15854308/google-youtube-vr180-video-camera-lenovo

Not the same thing as being able to walk through like in the photogrammetry examples though

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You can use a fairly cheap 360 degree camera like this for photo/video that works in VR. http://tinyurl.com/yb7gppay

Nowhere near as cool as mapping to geometry in UE or something, but depending on what you want could be good enough.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mutata posted:

Agisoft Photoscan is the current standard-ish app. The standard license is $180 but they do have a free, fully functional 30 day trial.

A word of warning though, the free trial doesn't let you export models and it doesn't tell you this anywhere in the software until you try to export. S if you do want to play around with it I wouldn't do something large enough that you're going to be spending hours and hours processing it, only to have nothing you can do with the resulting data. Its still useful for small tests and getting used to it however and seeing how the results come out.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Your best bet for now is a 360 camera for quick vacation images and movies. Its not 3d or 6dof capable of course, but it can still be neat and worthwhile until the tech starts filtering down in price on the big camera systems everyone is working on.

Theres a few different ones out there, if you have a samsung phone, or iphone 6 and up the best I've seen is the samsung gear 360 camera. Theres also several other decent ones as well like the ricoh theta S though. Back when I picked up one the ricoh was basically the only thing on the market but now theres tons of them. I still think they're neat and great for holiday photos and videos for the time being.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

A word of warning though, the free trial doesn't let you export models and it doesn't tell you this anywhere in the software until you try to export. S if you do want to play around with it I wouldn't do something large enough that you're going to be spending hours and hours processing it, only to have nothing you can do with the resulting data. Its still useful for small tests and getting used to it however and seeing how the results come out.

You can get a 30 day free trial license that lets you export and do everything the full version can.
http://www.agisoft.com/downloads/request-trial/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Google's Project Tango looks promising too but it's also not quite there yet. For now tons of photos of relatively well - lit static scenes are what work best.