Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

bagual posted:

Sooo Zezé Perrela, the senator whose farm was the center of the half-a-ton-o-cokecopter debacle just had a taped conversation between him and Aecio released

he says, verbatim "I don't do anything wrong, i just traffic drugs"

Aecio then laughs, nervously

is this peak latin america or what

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dear Brazilian goons: Was today a good day?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Lawman 0 posted:

Dear Brazilian goons: Was today a good day?

temer is like a villain that never dies, he must chew scenery till the very end

I have my doubts if the lower house will vote for his investigation and oust him

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

temer is like a villain that never dies, he must chew scenery till the very end

I have my doubts if the lower house will vote for his investigation and oust him

:(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They won't.

PMDB made a pact to gain the ability to put an exceptionally awful and unpopular vice-president in power through suspicious means and getting him through the end of his term every generation.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Huh I was kinda suspecting Temer was somewhat corrupt heh can you believe it

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

ZearothK posted:

They won't.

PMDB made a pact to gain the ability to put an exceptionally awful and unpopular vice-president in power through suspicious means and getting him through the end of his term every generation.

I liked Itamar Franco, he was a funny old dude :(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was thinking of Sarney, actually.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Magrov posted:

I liked Itamar Franco, he was a funny old dude :(

Yup, he was a remnant of the PMDB that actually had a vein of civil service. And he took no crap from Antonio Carlos Magalhaes, which was refreshing.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It's depressingly funny how there's been a rash of high-profile corruption defendants being hastily release and having their charges charges muddled because they support the interim government in Brazil, the country is so ostracized that it didn't attend the G-20 and is skipped by all foreign leaders, among other big news like the government cutting education to pay for passports so the co-opted middle class won't miss their Disney trips in July...

...and this thread stays dead. I guess everyone moved into the Acceptance phase of the national tragedy, and i can't blame them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sephyr posted:

It's depressingly funny how there's been a rash of high-profile corruption defendants being hastily release and having their charges charges muddled because they support the interim government in Brazil, the country is so ostracized that it didn't attend the G-20 and is skipped by all foreign leaders, among other big news like the government cutting education to pay for passports so the co-opted middle class won't miss their Disney trips in July...

...and this thread stays dead. I guess everyone moved into the Acceptance phase of the national tragedy, and i can't blame them.

I'm just kinda fatigued by all the trash news, I'd rather play videogames and study than engage with yet another "hey, this corrupt dude got away because he has friends in the Judiciary". Frankly it just feels hopeless. It's kinda sad too, because I know this is Latin America's status quo and Brazil was just fortunate enough to have a good decade, but for gently caress's sake we were doing FINE.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There were mid-size protests nationwide last Friday and a crazy kid crashed through the gate of the presidential palace (where Temer is not actually living), the government has also reached 7% approval ratings despite an apologetic media, which does do a lot of front page "politician was arrested!" and then a few weeks later some hidden news about them being released, unless they're from PT or very high profile, in which case the news of their release goes to the front page. It is also rather telling that even DataFolha has published today that "right-wing" ideas are losing to "left-wing" ones in opinion polls in relation to 2014.

I wouldn't really say Brazil has comformed, but there is clearly a high level of fatigue combined with a mix of both "let's wait and see" and "nothing matters". In the end there isn't much that the individual private actor can do other than share their ideas with peers and local level activism, so we go back to Candide's wisdom that we must attend to our own garden.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ZearothK posted:

the presidential palace (where Temer is not actually living)

just to liven up a bit let me remind the thread that the president is not living the presidential palace because he is afraid it's haunted.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

just to liven up a bit let me remind the thread that the president is not living the presidential palace because he is afraid it's haunted.

Um fantasmo ronda o Palácio da Alvorada...

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Everything is lost and pointless. It's all over.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Negrostrike posted:

Everything is lost and pointless. It's all over.

Every day is a new 7-1.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

At least it's not a military dictatorship yet

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Piñera will be the candidate for the right in Chile and, hopefully, the next president.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

It is the ghost of PT's communism.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
soooo uruguay is set to have marijuana in pharmacies this week

guess who's an hour away from the border :whatup:

unfortunately it's probably just montevideo for now :eng99:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

bagual posted:

macri take notes

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

ArfJason posted:

macri take notes

Articles 9 and 10 of the Constitution guarantee free movement of goods and people across provincial borders so what issue could there be?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bagual posted:

I was born 1:30h away from the border too, it's not even expensive drug tourism!

(i know it doesn't work like that)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Piñera will be the candidate for the right in Chile and, hopefully, the next president.

Piñericosas season 2.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Here's hoping he'll save more miners. He's drat good at this.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In case anyone ever thought that the investigations in Brazil were actually about corruption, they are dismantling and merging the lava jato task force.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
In Argentina news, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, currently indicted in something like 5 different tax evasion investigations, is running for a Senate seat in Argentina as Macri does his best impression of a Peronista that ultimately satisfies no one.

Rich conservatives are clutching their pearls at the possible return of "La Yegua" and her dreaded kirchnerismo, while the Peronistas decry her as "not one of us", pretending that they'll vote for her rival when everyone knows that they don't have anything resembling a backbone or a strategy besides "side with whoever polls well in the Conurbano".

Also, for whoever in the US that still can't wrap their mind around Trump and what's happening to American politics, please feel free to read up on Argentine history.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Lula's going to loving jail

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, and he was still leading in the polling (often by far). I honestly don't know where the way forward is for Brazil at this point.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Way forward? There's none. Like I said before, there's no hope.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
No nation in the tropics has a future that isn't a boot stamping on a human face, forever.

And honestly, that's being generous.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Negrostrike posted:

Way forward? There's none. Like I said before, there's no hope.

Admittedly, I knew they were going after Lula but giving him 10 years while he is still getting extreme strong polling is pretty impressively hosed.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
To be honest, at this point Lula is Brazil's Hillary: Someone with a huge target painted on his back and a in a party that is severely weakened by all the latest controversy. If he won, we'd have an even worse repeat of the last two years, so if he can't run I don't feel too bad about it (ignoring all the bullshit around it, and how people who did worse are getting away with it).

Now, if anyone else popped up on the left or even left of center to beat Bolsonaro, Dória et al I'd be glad. Of course things won't go well, though.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Well, Ciro 2018 I guess

... Christ :smithicide:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

nerdz posted:

To be honest, at this point Lula is Brazil's Hillary: Someone with a huge target painted on his back and a in a party that is severely weakened by all the latest controversy. If he won, we'd have an even worse repeat of the last two years, so if he can't run I don't feel too bad about it (ignoring all the bullshit around it, and how people who did worse are getting away with it).

Now, if anyone else popped up on the left or even left of center to beat Bolsonaro, Dória et al I'd be glad. Of course things won't go well, though.

Lula at least had a history of pushing the politics of Brazil to the left and some real accomplishments. He would be a lighting rod but at least would communicate that the public has some type of voice in the affairs of the country.

It would be great if a strong left-wing candidate replaced him, but the odds are really against them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is light at the end of the tunnel. It's another train coming towards you. Embrace hopelessness and prepare your anus.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And at the same day they pass the loving Labour reform in the Senate and free Geddel.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I thought Lula was being prosecuted unfairly until his son bought a football team in Uruguay. You don't do that unless you have a lot of money to launder so now I'm convinced he's dirty af.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Polidoro posted:

I thought Lula was being prosecuted unfairly until his son bought a football team in Uruguay. You don't do that unless you have a lot of money to launder so now I'm convinced he's dirty af.

I mean, I think he's dirty, it's more that EVERYONE ELSE that's dirty has way more evidence piled up against them and somehow they're still getting away with it. It just shows how people just wanna gently caress PT up and as soon as they're dead, they'll go back to the passive "corruption is bad but we can't help it meh" thing Brazilians are so fond of.

I can't even bother going to protests anymore, I'm just kinda numbed to it all and it sucks. It doesn't help that our left is divided between people that wanna die embracing Lula's flaming corpse and people that wanna do the Zizek thing of "letting them gently caress up the system because it will CHANGE things" which, well, it won't and I'm the one getting hosed then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Dias posted:

do the Zizek thing of "letting them gently caress up the system because it will CHANGE things" which, well, it won't and I'm the one getting hosed then.

lol Zizek is such a retard