Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

They stay in business by charging $75/lb for Copper River Salmon to tourists.

And here I thought just Internet was expensive in the US :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It is an abnormally insane price for Copper River salmon, but they were asking it. Most places it's usually around $25/lb for CR King salmon and like $18/lb for CR sockeye or other non-King option. Salmon that doesn't have "Copper River" in the title is about half of the CR priced stuff most places here, and I'm not even talking about the farmed Atlantic salmon. That is usually about $6/lb and not very good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jerry Cotton posted:

And here I thought just Internet was expensive in the US :eyepop:

This year, copper river salmon costs resturants $50/lb so retail's going to be more.
It only applies to salmon from one particular area. Honestly, it is a good product, but not worth the extra.

Admittedly, our local fishmonger has sourced some really good farmed salmon from BC for <$10 and that is basically all I eat at this point. The wild markup isn't quite worth it.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Starman Super DX posted:

. It was strange, the bread actually got worse when they started advertising "fresh baked bread"

Ive found if a fast food place especially starts advertising something you never asked, it means cause something got shittier.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Isaac posted:

Ive found if a fast food place especially starts advertising something you never asked, it means cause something got shittier.

See, I completely believe that, it's just that it seems counter-intuitive to me to call attention to it

e: it's the same thing that happened to BK's French fries :v:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Starman Super DX posted:

See, I completely believe that, it's just that it seems counter-intuitive to me to call attention to it

e: it's the same thing that happened to BK's French fries :v:

The idea behind it is to create self doubt in the consumer. "The company said it is is new and improved and I don't like it as much as I did before, there must be something wrong with me. I should continue to buy it and I may start to like it as much before."

Also there is the whole make a weakness a strength marketing strategy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zil posted:

The idea behind it is to create self doubt in the consumer. "The company said it is is new and improved and I don't like it as much as I did before, there must be something wrong with me. I should continue to buy it and I may start to like it as much before."

Also there is the whole make a weakness a strength marketing strategy.

Coca-Cola did this by accident with New Coke back in the day

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

Coca-Cola did this by accident with New Coke back in the day

Isn't that phenomenon the opposite though? Them switching back to coke classic is what drove their sales through the roof and brought them out of the red and into the black, in this case it's more like what the other guy said where they're trying to make something bad actually look good without any intention of changing back. Whether or not what coke did was an accident or ingenious marketing marketing ploy remains to be seen afaik

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

Isn't that phenomenon the opposite though? Them switching back to coke classic is what drove their sales through the roof and brought them out of the red and into the black, in this case it's more like what the other guy said where they're trying to make something bad actually look good without any intention of changing back. Whether or not what coke did was an accident or ingenious marketing marketing ploy remains to be seen afaik

Believe it or not, they didn't actually lose a significant amount of sales, the switch back didn't gain them a huge market share back (apparently the taking-back-the-lead from Pepsi was due to Cherry Coke coming out the same year) and New Coke/Coke II held a few percentages of the national market for years afterwards, so they came out ahead in every way without really losing more than a small fraction of customer loyalty.

Also the funniest thing is that most people actually liked New Coke, it was a small but extremely vocal minority that killed it - the original 4Chan invasion or whatever: people who disliked it (mostly rednecks) were so furiously vocal about it that nobody really wanted to come out and be like "well actually I really like it."

quote:

New Coke continued to do what it had originally been designed to do: win taste tests. In 1987, The Wall Street Journal surveyed 100 randomly selected cola drinkers, the majority of whom indicated a preference for Pepsi, with Classic Coke accounting for the remainder save two New Coke loyalists. When this group was given a chance to try all three in a blind test, New Coke slightly edged out Pepsi – yet many drinkers reacted angrily to finding they had chosen a brand other than their favorite.[21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do wish they'd bring back New Coke in some form so I can try it. Call it Coke Jr or something.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Interesting. I didn't know any of that, actually. And of course southerners would react violently to coke being changed- poo poo's an institution down there.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do wish they'd bring back New Coke in some form so I can try it. Call it Coke Jr or something.

They'll call it New Coke Classic :haw:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
loving ancient geezers asking for a veterans discount then when I ask to see a former military ID or Veterans Affairs card they get abusive is always the funniest goddamn thing 'cause store policy is Active Duty Only At Clerks Discretion.

Usually the only ones who get it at my shop are the ones who actually are subtle and use their active duty ID as a form of identification. Same goes for people who want to haggle on bottles. Don't demand a discount just because you're alive (this actually happened to me once), start trying to figure out what are slow moving products that I might be amenable to negotiations about.

Context: I manage a liquor store.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

nm posted:

This year, copper river salmon costs resturants $50/lb so retail's going to be more.
It only applies to salmon from one particular area. Honestly, it is a good product, but not worth the extra.

Admittedly, our local fishmonger has sourced some really good farmed salmon from BC for <$10 and that is basically all I eat at this point. The wild markup isn't quite worth it.

The prices are high, but not THAT high. http://www.thecordovatimes.com/2017/06/02/copper-river-salmon-sales-hot/

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

When I worked at McDonalds in high school there was this big fat lady that came through the drive thru in the middle of busy lunch rush on a saturday and ordered 4 salads with grilled chicken. Nobody orders the grilled chicken because it's gross, so we never have more than 1 or 2 made. So we told her it would be 9 minutes while it cooks, and she would need to pull through to the parking lot in a waiting space and we'd bring it out in 9 minutes. She said no way, that every time she does that the people forget about her and she has to wait longer!
Part of working a lousy food service job is having spineless managers and they wouldn't make her move or just refund her and send her packing, so there she sat with a line of 8 cars trapped in the drive thru behind her.

I remember the car directly behind her had ordered just a large diet coke, nothing else. Just wanted to quickly breeze through a drive thru and get a soda, thanks a lot lady :mad:. I remember the guy was cool about it when we explained what was going on, but man, that's got to be disappointing.

I have a family member that does this - she refuses to pull ahead when they're making a milkshake because "IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FAST FOOD :downs:"

I apologize profusely for my dumbfuck family

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

its a clone of pepsi, just drink that

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Note the early season prices they quote. That is when they were selling if for $75 at pikes place per that very article.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

I have a family member that does this - she refuses to pull ahead when they're making a milkshake because "IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FAST FOOD :downs:"

I apologize profusely for my dumbfuck family

I was gambling at a table called Fast Poker in a night club once and some country bumpkin started complaining about the skill and speed of the dealer and then he said the magic words "you cow this is supposed to be Fast Poker" and I swear I didn't see the her push a button or anything but about a minute later the dude was out on the street.

What I'm saying is McDonalds should have bouncers.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

nm posted:

Note the early season prices they quote. That is when they were selling if for $75 at pikes place per that very article.

I was talking about 50 dollars a pound at restaurants and retail being higher. Pike's Place you're paying for the experience.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Kelp Me! posted:

Believe it or not, they didn't actually lose a significant amount of sales, the switch back didn't gain them a huge market share back (apparently the taking-back-the-lead from Pepsi was due to Cherry Coke coming out the same year) and New Coke/Coke II held a few percentages of the national market for years afterwards, so they came out ahead in every way without really losing more than a small fraction of customer loyalty.

Also the funniest thing is that most people actually liked New Coke, it was a small but extremely vocal minority that killed it - the original 4Chan invasion or whatever: people who disliked it (mostly rednecks) were so furiously vocal about it that nobody really wanted to come out and be like "well actually I really like it."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

I tried new coke back in the day when I was a small kid, it was good, I liked it better, it was sweeter.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wawa sounds like some mystical Oz-like place whenever I hear of anyone talk about them. I like QT a lot, but I've heard the Wawa legends...

It's just a crappy Sheetz knockoff :smug:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've worked a handful of retail jobs over the past 9 or so years and built up a healthy distaste for my fellow man.

When I worked at RadioShack seven years ago there was one woman who came in and attempted to return a product without the original packaging, over a year old, and with no receipt. The coworker she was dealing with was a doughy, balding man in his mid 40s who was too meek to raise his voice or anything when the situation warranted. She insisted on doing a cash return, and despite my coworker's best efforts to inform her that we couldn't do that, she trotted out excuses about really needing the money and having been in the hospital for a year. She may very well have been in such a situation, but that doesn't change the fact that this item isn't even inventoried anymore. She wouldn't take 'no' for an answer, so I sidled up, looked her square in the eye and said "Ma'am, our rules are the same for everyone, whether they're alive and kicking or laying on their death bed." She took exception, of course, "I have never been spoken to like that in my life." "I'm glad I could be your first, then." She stormed out, but not before wishing that my coworker and I die from prostate cancer.

Another time at RadioShack, we received multiple calls from this lady who insisted that her neighbor's computer was reading her mind and giving her migraines. The first few times I tried to patiently explain to her why that can't be possible, but after the fifth time I informed her she shouldn't call anymore because the CIA had bugged our phone lines and they know all about her.

Nowadays I work for Lego, which is awesome because I can actually get passionate about the product and feel good about selling it. I'd say that 98% of the customers we get are neutral or well-behaved enough that there aren't any issues. People often say to me "Wow, you work in a toy store? I bet you have to deal with a lot of lovely kids!" They're surprised at first, but then understand when I tell them I rarely have problems with the children and more often have problems with the adults.

The one child I legit got angry at was this Chinese child about 4 years old. He ran into our store, grabbed a box off the shelf, then ran out the door with it and threw it over the balcony to the first floor, where it nearly struck someone in the head. What made it worse, though, was this kid's parent or grandparent thought it was the most hilarious thing ever and was all smiles patting the kid on the head.

Another grand time, a pregnant woman and her familial entourage come in and they're just hanging around while their 15 month old is playing with the loose Duplo bricks we have set up for the toddlers to play with. Kid's putting pieces in his mouth left and right, so I do what I usually do in these situations. I say loud enough for the parent to hear, but in a friendly tone, "Hey, buddy, you shouldn't put those in your mouth, you might get sick!" This is a very plausible outcome, considering how many children touch those parts every day. Normally pointing this out is enough to get the parent to notice and take care of the parenting aspect of the situation as they see fit. Not so with this woman. She just smiles and watches as her toddler continues to explore every part with his tongue. I shrug it off and help other customers, only to find the kid is still shoving pieces in his gob 15 minutes later. With a concerned tone of voice I inform the mother, "Ma'am, I can't have him putting all these parts in his mouth, it's not safe." She smiles and says to me "If you know a way to keep a 15-month old from putting things in his mouth I'd love to hear it." Normally you don't advise people on how to parent their children, but this woman pretty much gave me carte blanche to drop parental pointers on her. All it took was three words to piss her off: "Pick him up?" She did and haughtily informed me that she's never shopping in our store again. Oh no, how will I do without your business of buying nothing and letting your child ingest whatever he finds :ohdear:

We also have a store policy about leaving children unattended. Whenever a child who looks to be below the age of 14 enters the store unaccompanied by an adult, we'll wait 30 seconds before approaching them and politely asking how old they are and, if they're too young, if they know where their parents are. Nine times out of ten it's no big deal and they'll run off to find their parent who will reluctantly accompany them into the toy store. Then there's the people who think that a toy store is equivalent to a nanny service. "What do you mean I can't let my child spend an hour in your store while I'm on the other side of the mall?" "I've spent so much money here and you won't watch my children for 15 minutes?" Somehow it escapes them that just because you've paid us lots of money for toys that automatically makes us qualified babysitters. It's always fun explaining to them that if there was some sort of emergency we cannot be held responsible for whatever happens to their unattended kid.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

A guy came in tonight right before closing with an empty raspberry carton and demands to get the sale price from 3 weeks ago on the raspberries he bought 5 days ago and pounded down his old gullet. Manager was just like "Come back and bug CS desk in the morning."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Starman Super DX posted:

Right now, in Australia, they've stopped making Coke Zero and have replaced it with Coke No Sugar. Their reasoning is that people didn't know that Coke Zero has zero sugar in it.

Firstly, that's the stupidest loving name change in the history of humanity.

Secondly, how loving stupid are people? What did they think the "zero" stood for?

Thirdly, it tastes like they've dumped in ten times as much artificial sweetener as Zero. It's just overbearing.

I mean, I could handle the name change, but why change the formula too?

I'm hoping they're going to New Coke things and go back to the original formula soon.

EugeneJ posted:

I buy junk once a week and, without fail, there will be someone like that in line ahead of me.

There are usually two windows, one to order and one to pay, and enough of a gap between the two to fit a car.

So, the way it's supposed to go is that you order, pull forward as far as you can while the person in front of you collects their stuff, allowing the person behind you to make their order. Efficient and fast.

But, no matter which lovely junk food place I choose, the middle car never pulls far enough forward, meaning everything slows right down.

I wonder if it's just that they don't realise there's a huge gap at the front of their car, or they don't realise they're stopping the person behind them from ordering and slowing everything down or, they're doing it deliberately to be a jerk because petty power trippers are loving everywhere.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gorilla Salad posted:

Secondly, how loving stupid are people? What did they think the "zero" stood for?

it stands for cool :c00l:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was gambling at a table called Fast Poker in a night club once and some country bumpkin started complaining about the skill and speed of the dealer and then he said the magic words "you cow this is supposed to be Fast Poker" and I swear I didn't see the her push a button or anything but about a minute later the dude was out on the street.

What I'm saying is McDonalds should have bouncers.
Casinos should be the gold standard for all retail because they know that catering to lovely people makes you at best zero extra dollars, whereas telling them to shape up or gently caress off gets them to do something beneficial to the rest of your customers regardless.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I worked at a retail pharmacy where we did not officially have public restrooms but, if you thought the customer was okay you could let them use it as long as you escorted them. We also had an understanding that men cleaned then men's room and women cleaned the women's room. I was the only man that worked in the store and was out on a long weekend when someone decided to let a customer use the men's restroom. I come back to a clogged toilet, flooded bathroom and poo poo strewn over all of the walls. This mess had clearly been left for days. My manager comes to me and we have this conversation:

:downs: I need you to clean the men's restroom.
:effort: No.
:downs: Men clean the men's restroom so you're doing it or we're going to have to have a serious conversation.
:effort: Still no, whoever let the shitter in cleans the mess.

My manager proceeds to dramatically march back to the stock room and starts to rant about teamwork, corporate buzzword bullshit and the needs of the businesss. I tuned everything out until I got threatened with being fired. I interupted the rant and said "I don't care I am not cleaning up poo poo for near min wage." My manager gets red in the face and storms out so I go back to work. I get a write up for teamwork and they start loving with my hours so I put my two weeks in before a holiday I want to enjoy which gets another rant about the needs of the business and how could I.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 27, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
RE: ID/Smokes/Booze talk a few pages back.

I was working in a small corner shop (we sold mostly non-alcoholic soft drinks, fried fast food, sandwiches, burgers, ice creams, smokes and a small selection of groceries) through my early-mid university life. It was a quiet Sunday afternoon shift about an hour after the end of the lunch time rush and I'd finished up cleaning out the hotbox when in walks a very young girl, about 6 or 7 years old I'd say. I distinctly remember the exchange that followed when she approached the counter:

"Hi there, what can I get for you?"
"Can I please have a pack of 30 Horizon Reds?"
And there is stunned silence for a minute as I try to process that a 7 year old just asked me for cigarettes.
"No you can't. You do understand what you are asking for right? I can't sell smokes to someone your age, it is very illegal."
"Ok sorry."
And out she walks, I glance up to see her approaching the door of a car near the entrance that I note contains the large form of a very annoying mouthy regular who comes in a few times a week. The annoying regular looks irate for a minute talks to the child who then walks back in to the shop.
"My auntie says she can't come in because she's got the baby in the car outside she points outside to the angry looking, now waving at me regular so can you please give me the smokes to carry out to her."
"Ok little one, you can tell your auntie that under no circumstances what so ever will I give you a packet of cigarettes; whether or not she has a baby in the car. It is very very illegal to sell them to you even if she asked you to get them for her and even if she is just outside watching you."
Out trots the child once again. She talks to her auntie and runs back in.
"Can you get them and bring them out to her?"
"No, if she wants them she has to come in or send in an adult."
I make sure to stare at the irate regular as the child tells her my response, so looking very annoyed out she heaves herself from the car and walks into the shop red in the face.
"You can fuckin' see me out there, why can't you fuckin' give her the smokes? I got a baby in the car and you're making me come in for one packet!"
I point at the sign and the camera next to it.
"First off it's VERY illegal to sell smokes to a minor, secondly there would be video evidence so even if I WAS inclined to do you a favor there would be a recording of me breaking the law, third I can't carry them out to you for the same reasons and forth if you want the drat smokes mamn you should come and get them yourself instead of sending in your niece barely out of huggies to get them for you; now do you want your Horizons or do you want to get out of my shop?"

As you can expect she really DID want those smokes so she droped the money on the counter, very carefully watched me as I took the 5 cents change out of the till and handed it to her with the smokes and said "Have a nice afternoon miss." A few days later when I was talking to my cool older manager/co-owner of the shop he told me there was a complaint made against me by a lady who I refused to give smokes to. Told him the story and he was just dumbfounded at the stupidity of people.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 27, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Azuth0667 posted:

My manager proceeds to dramatically march back to the stock room and starts to rant about teamwork, corporate buzzword bullshit and the needs of the businesss. I tuned everything out until I got threatened with being fired. I interupted the rant and said "I don't care I am not cleaning up poo poo for near min wage." My manager gets red in the face and storms out so I go back to work. I get a write up for teamwork and they start loving with my hours so I put my two weeks in before a holiday I want to enjoy which gets another rant about the needs of the business and how could I.

I always enjoy this type of poo poo. They almost go out of your way to treat you like garbage, and then are surprised that you would quit without considering that it might put them out. That you even gave them 2 weeks after that is honestly more than most would've done.

Gridlocked posted:

As you can expect she really DID want those smokes so she droped the money on the counter, very carefully watched me as I took the 5 cents change out of the till and handed it to her with the smokes and said "Have a nice afternoon miss." A few days later when I was talking to my cool older manager/co-owner of the shop he told me there was a complaint made against me by a lady who I refused to give smokes to. Told him the story and he was just dumbfounded at the stupidity of people.

I also enjoy this poo poo, too. "They wouldn't sell me cigarettes" instead of "They didn't sell my daughter cigarettes even though I gave the OK". "They wouldn't sell me beer" instead of "I didn't have my ID and I got belligerent". People always seem to think they're in the right, even though they're often very, very wrong.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

Casinos should be the gold standard for all retail because they know that catering to lovely people makes you at best zero extra dollars, whereas telling them to shape up or gently caress off gets them to do something beneficial to the rest of your customers regardless.

That's unbelievably untrue you can be as lovely and abusive to the staff at a casino as you want as long as you're not making direct threats - as long as you're dropping $1,000/hr at the table they're still gonna comp all your drinks and probably your room too no matter how much of an obvious douchebag you are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

That's unbelievably untrue you can be as lovely and abusive to the staff at a casino as you want as long as you're not making direct threats - as long as you're dropping $1,000/hr at the table they're still gonna comp all your drinks and probably your room too no matter how much of an obvious douchebag you are.

The vast majority of colossal assholes do not have that kind of money.

I worked at a Starbucks once and we had one customer who showed up everyday around 11 in his lambo and his amex black and designer clothes to order stuff and he was totally fine and obviously living a life of laid back hedonistic retirement in his early 30s where as I had no leas than a dozen old ladies scream bloody murder in my face because they dont understand that a cappuccino has milk foam in it not milk like a latte even after having it explained to them prior to serving.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

SpacePig posted:

I also enjoy this poo poo, too. "They wouldn't sell me cigarettes" instead of "They didn't sell my daughter cigarettes even though I gave the OK". "They wouldn't sell me beer" instead of "I didn't have my ID and I got belligerent". People always seem to think they're in the right, even though they're often very, very wrong.

the latter is painfully commonplace for me. I once had a very unstable old woman nearly throw a twelve pack at me (she pushed it with such force that it fell over to my side, past me even, knocking poo poo over in the process) when she didn't have her ID.

I think she's dead now.

luckily if people go to the manager for me I have the law on my side and now that I think about it it's funny that I've heard second hand from front end workers that their response to irate customers over our tavern license policies that the managers just say "I don't know what they won't ring you out" apologize, and move on. We just never heard about it because they'd rather not argue with us over something that they would probably call a "a legal gray area", which really means that they don't loving understand the laws their own store is bound to.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Starman Super DX posted:

the latter is painfully commonplace for me. I once had a very unstable old woman nearly throw a twelve pack at me (she pushed it with such force that it fell over to my side, past me even, knocking poo poo over in the process) when she didn't have her ID.

I think she's dead now.

luckily if people go to the manager for me I have the law on my side and now that I think about it it's funny that I've heard second hand from front end workers that their response to irate customers over our tavern license policies that the managers just say "I don't know what they won't ring you out" apologize, and move on. We just never heard about it because they'd rather not argue with us over something that they would probably call a "a legal gray area", which really means that they don't loving understand the laws their own store is bound to.

There was a time at the Giant that I worked at where the new 2nd shift manager was trying to buy beer on the clock and without an ID. The guy working the beer garden, rightly, told him "no". That manager then told the store manager that the employee wouldn't sell him beer because he was a bad employee and I think tried to imply that it was because he (the manager) was black. When they asked the kid why he wouldn't sell to the manager, he explained that he was buying it on the clock (against company policy) and without an ID (against the law), and the shift manager was basically laughed at and told that the kid was in the right.

The kid would later be fired for blowing up at a customer who blew up at him for not accepting a non-photo military ID to buy beer. Again, the kid was in the right, but was fired because A) A customer and :911:VETERAN:911: complained, and B) The shift manager wanted him fired for the first incident, and was looking for an excuse.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It is an abnormally insane price for Copper River salmon, but they were asking it. Most places it's usually around $25/lb for CR King salmon and like $18/lb for CR sockeye or other non-King option. Salmon that doesn't have "Copper River" in the title is about half of the CR priced stuff most places here, and I'm not even talking about the farmed Atlantic salmon. That is usually about $6/lb and not very good.

I know a guy who fishes, so I currently have 20 lbs of King salmon in my freezer at $5/lb
:smug:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Oh boy, I just remembered another one.

We talk about middle aged women being terrible customers, but every so often you get the douchebag husband instead who's like "pff, I usually never have to do this." (like, go grocery shopping) this is the same guy that says "I'm babysitting the kids tonight."

Anyway, speaking to an even older generational version of this nonsense I once had this old man in my line when I was working the regular registers who said the first line and then proceeded to have trouble with the card terminal "I've never used one of these before :downs:". The girl running the front end came over to help, and was completely amicable and friendly. Despite that, the very moment he figured out what he was doing, he waved her off to leave. No thank you, not eye contact, just a vague shooing motion.
To be fair I don't remember too many details other just that he did other similar things, but holy poo poo I thought that was rude. Like this guy was an actual dinosaur who never leaves his house and never interacts with people. Ever. Nobody particularly liked this girl either, but I don't think anyone deserved that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't know how she survived the scathing and dismissive hand wave. Truly a high price you pay, when in retail.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

I know a guy who fishes, so I currently have 20 lbs of King salmon in my freezer at $5/lb
:smug:

This is the way to do it.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was talking about 50 dollars a pound at restaurants and retail being higher. Pike 's Place you're paying for the experience.

This is absolutely true, and tourists most definitely do buy fish to pack and ship home. The airport here even has a little room near the baggage claim for handling fresh fish on ice.

$50/lb wholesale seems steep to me, but I could see it happening.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't know how she survived the scathing and dismissive hand wave. Truly a high price you pay, when in retail.

People already working a soul-crushing job don't need to be treated like gutter trash just for trying to help. A simple "no thank you" costs nothing, and makes the employee feel like a fellow human being! Crazy, I know.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Waffle! posted:

People already working a soul-crushing job don't need to be treated like gutter trash just for trying to help. A simple "no thank you" costs nothing, and makes the employee feel like a fellow human being! Crazy, I know.
If we treat the filthy poors like people they might get uppity and expect things like living wages, or healthcare!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Barudak posted:

The vast majority of colossal assholes do not have that kind of money.

I worked at a Starbucks once and we had one customer who showed up everyday around 11 in his lambo and his amex black and designer clothes to order stuff and he was totally fine and obviously living a life of laid back hedonistic retirement in his early 30s where as I had no leas than a dozen old ladies scream bloody murder in my face because they dont understand that a cappuccino has milk foam in it not milk like a latte even after having it explained to them prior to serving.

But what percentage of people who do have that kind of money are colossal assholes? I think casino employees would be in a better position to judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Waffle! posted:

Between that and the old lady who forgot her ID to buy some smokes; I don't know how people handle the stressors.

• Locked thread