Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ulio posted:

I was actually hoping this to be some sort of dark comedy but it seems to be taking itself too serious.

The best dark comedies take themselves seriously. That's like half the battle, coming off as sincere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

But a dark comedy ultimately has a meaningful premise or message it wants to deliver. What is this movie about? Racism? Cults? If it is on racism that has to be the most cartoonish look on racism ever. Basically white people want to enslave black people. I don't think racism today has anything to do with that and more about class divide in some states.

Well I am no expert on modern day Racism issues in US but this movie doesn't seem good at all. If it was suppose to be a suspenseful/thriller type movie they ruined all the plot in the trailer. Imagine Se7en's trailer showing the box scene and Kevin Spacey as the bad guy basically the trailer for this movie ruined what this type of movie was going for.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I watched the trailer at work with the sound off and I thought it looked good - some disturbing imagery and implications. The trailer spoiled more than I liked, but knowing more about the story makes me want to see it play out in this case.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ulio posted:

But a dark comedy ultimately has a meaningful premise or message it wants to deliver. What is this movie about? Racism? Cults? If it is on racism that has to be the most cartoonish look on racism ever. Basically white people want to enslave black people. I don't think racism today has anything to do with that and more about class divide in some states.

Well I am no expert on modern day Racism issues in US but this movie doesn't seem good at all. If it was suppose to be a suspenseful/thriller type movie they ruined all the plot in the trailer. Imagine Se7en's trailer showing the box scene and Kevin Spacey as the bad guy basically the trailer for this movie ruined what this type of movie was going for.

Not really trying to pick a fight here, because if you don't think the movie looks good that's whatever, but this post doesn't contradict anything I said in response to your initial complaint that the movie is "too serious".

For the actual movie itself, it appears to me that movie is more about "domesticating" black people. A rich white suburb hypnotizing black people into being the "good ones". Which is a major component of American racism, imo. Subservience is definitely part of it, it's why the trailer shows a gardener and a maid* that were hypnotized. It's not just a matter of making someone work for you, it's getting them to think that they want to work for you. You strip them of their culture, their identity, and install one that is compatible with your oppression.

*There does appear to be class divides at play with the friend at the beginning telling the protagonist to "not come back all bougie." A gardener and maid are also specifically "low class" labor positions which in the modern era of capitalism is pretty drat close to slavery. Upper Class white society vs any class of black society. I say any class here because the trailer doesn't make it explicit which class the protagonist is from, and while I can infer "somewhat middle class" that's an assumption on my part and not necessarily a safe one.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I agree the movie has some components that are very relevant to modern day Racism but I guess it all depends on the execution of the movie. Still interested in it because Peele was writer on Keanu which was legitmatiely good. I was surprised they managed to make a decent comedy movie even though they were specialized in skits.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't think it fits all that neatly into the Psych Horror category, but Behind the Candelabra is probably the creepiest, uncomfortable movie I've watched in a while. Michael Douglas and Matt Damon are both amazing in it. I'm about halfway through, I really like it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

key and peele was probably the best sketch show ever so i think i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ulio posted:

Basically white people want to enslave black people. I don't think racism today has anything to do with that and more about class divide in some states.

why do you think such a class divide exists.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Am I going to get in trouble if I say Joy Ride unironically belongs in this thread? It has a good amount of tension, despite clearly being a B-movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd say Hard Times was a massively horrifying movie but it is probably because the crazed ex marine in that movie was basically my old best friend except without a dog and with less strip clubs

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I'd say Hard Times was a massively horrifying movie but it is probably because the crazed ex marine in that movie was basically my old best friend except without a dog and with less strip clubs

No, Hard Times was really disturbing, because too many people know someone just like that.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Harsh Times?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
oops, yeah.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I saw VVitch last weekend and it was really good, deals with a 1600s family living on their own next to a spoopy forest. Creeping desperation and unsettling fear, just really good poo poo for ye olde satanic esque slow-build horror. Wouldst thou like the taste of butter?

Also saw The Eyes of My Mother and thought that one was good, too. It's a little bit gory but also black and white, so not too bad. Less of a slow burn than vvitch, just hosed up from the start, but nice and creepy especially for the short runtime. Would recommend both of these.

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 14, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Ulio posted:

Whoops it was one of the best horror/thrillers of the last decade!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm a page and a few months late, but everybody should see Under the Skin. It's the best film of the century so far in my opinion.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

mary had a little clam posted:

Whoops it was one of the best horror/thrillers of the last decade!

It was pretty good and I love Jordan Peele so glad to be proven wrong.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man it must be really rough to be a fragile white person these days and flip out every time you feel *personally attacked* by an allegorical piece of media about racism - especially when you would "otherwise have loved" something. Where were you guys when Elvis' (black-inspired) haircut was being shorn off? Oh yeah you were literally writing letters to the president about how it was an atrocity..!

Where were all of these butt-hurt defensive people up in arms for blind people and morlocks, when Plato was talking about people chained up inside of a cave and unable to look toward the light? Oh yeah they were too advantaged to give a drat

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 25, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Who are you arguing with?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Who are you arguing with?

Them :mason: :tinfoil:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is The Game with Michael Douglas with this category? I don't know if I should watch it but I am a fan of Fincher.

Also are there any other movies like TimeCrimes?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the minority, but I think The Game is a terrible movie. And I like both Michael Douglas and David Fincher.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Ulio posted:

Other than Primer, I don't think you'll find a movie that handles time travel as well as TimeCrimes, which is unfortunate. I've never liked movies with time travel mechanics where you can change the past/future, it always seems way too pulpy and silly.

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 25, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ulio posted:

Is The Game with Michael Douglas with this category? I don't know if I should watch it but I am a fan of Fincher.

Triangle is a fantastic movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Triangle was fun. I wish there were more like it.

E: Don't watch the trailer.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 26, 2017

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Snak posted:

I'm in the minority, but I think The Game is a terrible movie. And I like both Michael Douglas and David Fincher.

Been a while since I watched it, but I remember having a similar impression.

Seconding (thirding?) Triangle though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Game is extremely well shot and just great looking overall, as is typical for Fincher, but I agree that it doesn't hold together very well as an actual movie. I might be due for a rewatch though, my opinion of Fincher has evolved somewhat since the last time I saw it(basically I saw Zodiac, a stone-cold masterpiece).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FalloutGod posted:

Triangle was fun. I wish there were more like it.

E: Don't watch the trailer.

I agree with this. Triangle is good, don't watch the trailer. For the record, I did not care for TimeCrimes.

As long as we're mentioning random time travel movies, I watched Synchronicity on Netflix and man that was boring as poo poo. My issue with Synchronicity (and Timecrimes, kinda) is there's a time loop that involves the main character doing something out of character or that doesn't make sense in order to preserve or create the loop, even after he figures out the loop is taking place. The whole thing is just a mess. It also does that thing where characters witness time travel fuckery take place and just don't notice or bring it up. The girl bangs his future self AND present self and never notices there was a difference or a switch, or that anything was off. Nobodys motivation in this movie makes any sense to me. I was also highly annoyed by the amount of effort this scientist has to put forth in order to convince people to fund his proven time travel method. The movie made it seem like that if he didn't get funded by this one dude, then thats it I guess time travel just never gets invented. Pretty sure if I posted his findings on reddit and asked for funds I would have a billion dollars in like a day.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 26, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For the record, I did not care for TimeCrimes.
(and Timecrimes, kinda) is there's a time loop that involves the main character doing something out of character or that doesn't make sense in order to preserve or create the loop, even after he figures out the loop is taking place.
I've posted this a bunch before, but yeah, this, basically. Triangle does not have this problem.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Triangle is an extremely good movie that I put off watching for years because I had such a negative reaction to TimeCrimes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Aren't there like 4 movies called Triangle? Which one are we talking about here?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

Aren't there like 4 movies called Triangle? Which one are we talking about here?

the one with the boat
e; this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

the one with the boat
they should have called it that

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Sarchasm posted:

Triangle is an extremely good movie that I put off watching for years because I had such a negative reaction to TimeCrimes.

I wish this was streaming somewhere.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
TimeCrimes fuckin rules.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I already saw Triangle due to this thread a long time ago. Agreed its a blast.

Talking about timetravel movies. There is a time travel thriller that is low budget and it has like 3 roomates who discover a time travel machine.At first they have fun with it and do good stuff but soon poo poo hits the fan. Its actually interesting but I forgot the name. I think someone in this thread recommended it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya I already saw Triangle due to this thread a long time ago. Agreed its a blast.

Talking about timetravel movies. There is a time travel thriller that is low budget and it has like 3 roomates who discover a time travel machine.At first they have fun with it and do good stuff but soon poo poo hits the fan. Its actually interesting but I forgot the name. I think someone in this thread recommended it.

Probably time lapse
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2669336/

Its ok, a solid 5/10 film

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

If not that, then probably Primer.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'm an unashamed fanboy for Primer. I love that Carruth had no experience other than watching a ton of movies and piecing it together from there. I love that the plot is hopelessly complex but does make sense if you do the research.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

As long as we're on the subject, Coherence is a great watch. Not necessarily about time travel, but shares similar subject matter and themes with Triangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ulio posted:

The only good thing about The Game with Michael Douglas is that there's some Janis Joplin in the soundtrack.

But seriously just go watch The Cable Guy, it's got a better soundtrack, and is smarter.

• Locked thread