Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Has someone said :votegop: yet?

What about Buttcoin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Hobo posted:

Attempted suicide via running.

Good god you sprinted 7 blocks out of desperation. Glad you ok now.

I myself had a gas episode or two over my lifetime so I get what that pain is to some extent but I could identify where it came from on the spot. It was over eating but still it was a scarily thing even in a UHC country.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Holy poo poo, read this article! The Koch brothers alone are threatening to withhold $400 million in funding if the GOP doesn't pass BRCA and tax cuts.

Americans For Prosperity are some of the worst assholes in the country. They armed and armored the tea party into an actual political shitstorm that carries weight. Funded by the Kochs.

Americans for Properity posted:

"Government overspending is the greatest threat to economic prosperity,"

Government is far from perfect but in english that roughly translates to: "If I let anyone else have anything at all, then I cannot have as much. If I am seeming to help someone, it's for a return on investment."

Fun bunch of people.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 27, 2017

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

KickerOfMice posted:

Americans For Prosperity are some of the worst assholes in the country. They armed and armored the party into an actual political shitstorm that carries weight. Funded by the Kochs.

Government is far from perfect but in english that roughly translates to: "If I let anyone else have anything at all, then I cannot have as much. If I am seeming to help someone, it's for a return on investment."

Fun bunch of people.

Whenever people who should be first against the wall are discussed, the Kochs should actually be first against the wall.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

John McCain't be a person worth a drat.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mynnna posted:

Whenever people who should be first against the wall are discussed, the Kochs should actually be first against the wall.

They're the ones we use to make sure the thing's working right and sharp.

Test necks we don't mind not having a clean, swift cut on.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I strongly suspect that what went down was more complicated than that. Somehow.

I think you'll find nothing is ever more complicated than "Dems are corporate stooges who hate leftists and spend all their time trying to undermine and hurt them because politics is bing bong so simple. Also its their fault whenever Republicans gently caress things up on a federal level."

twice burned ice posted:

This is a fair point. But it still needs to pass the House and there's no way

Yes there loving well is. But this strategy gives the GOP the keys to pretend this was bipartisan.

empty whippet box posted:

Does Mitch have actual views about things that he cares about? I've always seen him as an empty suit representing the rich's need for tax cuts.

He likes lettuce and warm rocks, at least.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

mynnna posted:

in my fantasy every single libertarian stands up between the militants and the kochs and says, "you'll have to violate the NAP against us first!"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

John McCain should probably be put in a home at this point.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

They're the ones we use to make sure the thing's working right and sharp.

Test necks we don't mind not having a clean, swift cut on.

Implying clean, swift cuts are actually something desired at all...?

I mean, I guess for efficiency's sake, maybe.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lemming posted:

The bill came with research that included a funding proposal, dumbass. And no, I'm not stupid enough to blame the people who brought it up and are working towards progress instead of the people who are hamstringing that progress.

I don't believe that somehow two senators need to build an entire bill from scratch that needs to meet some arbitrary standard before it can go to committee and get amended. That standard will change every time if the same people are in charge. I'm glad it came as far as it did because it shines a light on the cockroaches. My senator, Glazer, voted against it for more or less the same reasons you don't like it, and guess what, he's a piece of poo poo who brags about voting with the Republicans 80% of the time. He says he's for single payer but you'd have to be a colossal moron to believe him. And you're telling me that's the guy I should be trusting because he's making the grown up choices.

gently caress that. They could improve it, or at the very least make a modicum of effort, but they won't, because they are ideologically against it. Literally nothing will be good enough for them, they'll always find an excuse, and the only remedy is to get rid of them.

The research from UMass Amherst? It's a fine school, but he's literally the only figure in healthcare less credible than Avik. The only reason it passed the senate is that because it lacked a funding mechanism, it didn't need a super majority.

Do you believe that the House GOP made progress to repealing Obamacare with their 50 attempts leading into 2016? Atkins and Lara wagered that they'd be seen as heroes and Rendon as the villain if they could turf an empty bill to the Assembly; that they were correct is a dire indictment of our movement. "Pass your own chamber" is the bare minimum line of viability in legislative politics-that they had to gimmick their way to that low bar is damning. And there is, again, the challenge of 98.

Go ahead and assume that everyone who disagrees with you secretly loathes single payer for unseemly reasons (corruption, lust for the suffering of poors), but I'm going to go ahead and be pissed at Atkins and Lara, the folks who kneecapped our best chance of statewide single payer out of sheer laziness and selfindulgence. gently caress every senator who voted for stunt, and gently caress everyone who knows better but still takes shots at Rendon.

For what it's worth, it's easy to fall into the trap of viewing everything as establishment v insurgency (see: DNC chair) and the outrage press has been spinning hard-so I see how you've gotten from A to B on this. Nobody who knows better has a platform, so Rendon's taking it in the teeth from Bernie on down. But be careful next time your preferred sources tell you that [Recent Event] perfectly fits your preferred narrative. You're probably getting played.

KickerOfMice posted:

In Sorkinese: Every time the federal government hands down a new law, it leaves for the rest of us a little less freedom.
a la Rand: Is not a man entitled to the sweat of his brow? When the government takes wages from a man, it takes his very essence, his deepest soul. A taxed man is, in that moment, no more than a slave, emasculated and bound by the greed of others, prevented from his highest calling, the greediness of his own desires.
Stumping Sessions: We take care of our own round these parts. None of us would allow our neighbor to suffer-but the Feds, those elites think they know best. So they take our money and give it to them lazy urbans. Suddenly we can't hardly care for our families, much less our neighbors.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mynnna posted:

Implying clean, swift cuts are actually something desired at all...?

I mean, I guess for efficiency's sake, maybe.

Don't want the thing not cleanly slicing through entirely. We got a lot of heads to roll here we can't have misfires.

Yes I work in a manufacturing environment.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm not justifying them, but when you take a good hard look at the US electorate Stalin and Mao's death counts start to make a lot more sense.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Boon posted:

I'm kind of stunned that I have to back up the fact that California is not a country unto itself and also plays in our federal system, but okay. If California were a nation unto itself, it'd be buying significant public goods at a deep discount - like national defense. That and basically nothing about California that is currently true would be true if it were an independent state, but I'm sure you'll ask for a source on that too.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/california-federal-taxes-spending-trump/

Thanks for the disingenuous post about how I asked for a reference about how California was a country onto itself and a link not even remotely back up what you were implying. I certainly love the new age D&D superstars who claim all sorts of bullshit without a good facts to back it up.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

So I see the thread is inching passed ironicly advocating for genocide.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So is his campaign slogan going to be "Can't Cuck the Zuck"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The CBO believes that the ACHA would cause a death spiral in rural/smaller insurance markets once more people lose subsidies and fewer healthier people buy insurance due to the removal of the mandate.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/879444076726292480

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xae posted:

It isn't genocide if it is because of political and not cultural beliefs!
:goonsay:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The CBO believes that the ACHA would cause a death spiral in rural/smaller insurance markets once more people lose subsidies and fewer healthier people buy insurance due to the removal of the mandate.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/879444076726292480

Is that accounted for in the 22 million or is it left out?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xae posted:

Murdering the ideologically incorrect isn't genocide. :smug:

#RobespierreWasRight

edit: dammit trab

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
efb

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

This is in the latest score...but it's specifically talking about the rural markets, not the entire US as a whole

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Xae posted:

The witching hour is approaching, it's a race to the bottom to see which one of us can make the worst posts.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks for the disingenuous post about how I asked for a reference about how California was a country onto itself and a link not even remotely back up what you were implying. I certainly love the new age D&D superstars who claim all sorts of bullshit without a good facts to back it up.

I have no idea what you're even asking for because you didn't bother to put any effort into even making it clear before you poo poo out that ridiculous post, but here are the assertions I made in my post you quoted:
1. California, were it to be it's own country, would own its wealth
2. That it receives money from the federal government (article shows)
3. That it gives money to the federal government (article shows)

I would think the first is pretty loving obvious but I guess in YOUR day (we registered 21 days apart over a decade ago) the D&D you frequented is different from the one I did.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 27, 2017

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hollismason posted:

My understanding is that it is, but they're considered/being spun as choosing to forgo insurance...since they're no longer forced to under Obamacare.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

John McCain should probably be put in a home at this point.

Maybe a hotel, yes?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

The witching hour is approaching, it's a race to the bottom to see which one of us can make the worst posts.

Challenge accepted.
Just look at him.

e: THAT is more tolerable than his political ideas.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Xae posted:

Enough about trumpcare.

Really though my posting about the guillotine hasn't changed in my entire posting career. Including the before time. I ain't no incher.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

KickerOfMice posted:

Challenge accepted.
Just look at him.

https://twitter.com/mattdizwhitlock/status/879474961903235074

bij
Feb 24, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

Challenge accepted.
Just look at him.

e: THAT is more tolerable than his political ideas.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Xae posted:

It's really more advocating for ideological purges than genocide.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

The research from UMass Amherst? It's a fine school, but he's literally the only figure in healthcare less credible than Avik. The only reason it passed the senate is that because it lacked a funding mechanism, it didn't need a super majority.

Do you believe that the House GOP made progress to repealing Obamacare with their 50 attempts leading into 2016? Atkins and Lara wagered that they'd be seen as heroes and Rendon as the villain if they could turf an empty bill to the Assembly; that they were correct is a dire indictment of our movement. "Pass your own chamber" is the bare minimum line of viability in legislative politics-that they had to gimmick their way to that low bar is damning. And there is, again, the challenge of 98.

Go ahead and assume that everyone who disagrees with you secretly loathes single payer for unseemly reasons (corruption, lust for the suffering of poors), but I'm going to go ahead and be pissed at Atkins and Lara, the folks who kneecapped our best chance of statewide single payer out of sheer laziness and selfindulgence. gently caress every senator who voted for stunt, and gently caress everyone who knows better but still takes shots at Rendon.

For what it's worth, it's easy to fall into the trap of viewing everything as establishment v insurgency (see: DNC chair) and the outrage press has been spinning hard-so I see how you've gotten from A to B on this. Nobody who knows better has a platform, so Rendon's taking it in the teeth from Bernie on down. But be careful next time your preferred sources tell you that [Recent Event] perfectly fits your preferred narrative. You're probably getting played.

Yeah, the reason it didn't pass with a supermajority is because we have shitheads like Glazer who is fundamentally against single payer and will never vote for it under any circumstances. How is that not an indictment of lovely Dems? My entire point is that we need to get rid of the people who are holding back progress, and you somehow think that means that the shitheads are the good guys.

What about Glazer do you know that has proven to you he actually wants single payer? I've spoken to him one on one. He's a poo poo liar and has pulled every "I agree with you but" argument on every progressive issue as a reason to vote against it.

Bad Dems are poo poo and it's partially their fault things aren't better. That's what makes them poo poo. The poo poo ones vote against single payer. You're trying to turn this into some fourth dimensional maneuver but really none of these people are that smart or good at politics.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is single payer? Like how do I explain it to people?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

Single-payer healthcare - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-payer_healthcare
Single-payer healthcare is a system in which all residents pay the state – via taxes in amounts determined by the state – to cover core healthcare costs for all residents regardless of income, occupation, or health status – rather than select individuals buying from private insurers with varying health care coverage ...
‎United States National Health ... · ‎Vermont health care reform · ‎All-payer rate setting

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

You know those health insurance companies that screw you every month with insane premiums, denies all your claims, and still gets more expensive and covers less every year? They all go out of business and going to the hospital is free

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

The government runs a big insurance company and everyone gets coverage and pays taxes instead of premiums.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Government run healthcare. It will be like social security except for surgeries and emergency room visits instead of checks.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

CNN sent a courtroom sketch artist to the Friday briefing
They need to get that Taiwanese news show with the 3D animation on the job. Complete with voiceovers for the reporters and Sean Spicer.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't forget to tell the more trickle downy types that their employer not paying most of their premiums will be passed on as pay bumps.

It's a lie but gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Turtlicious posted:

Ok, start with the concept of a public option, you can choose medicare/medicaid as an option just like you could choose Bluee Cross/Anthem/Cigna. Now imagine, that everyone has to buy insurance from the government and it just gets deducted in your taxes as opposed to part of your post-tax income.

It has a lot of benefits, chiefly because it allows you to centralize your bureaucracy instead of having dozens of separate ones, so that alone is expected to save the healthcare system somewhere around 20%. Additionally, when you have a huge system like this, it can negotiate with pharma companies for better prices/mandate price controls, which again brings down the direct cost of the health system (though much of that money will probably need to be spent on grants to help incentivize new drug/treatments since they won't be able to gouge). Then you get into more indirect benefits, such as how its far cheaper to treat illnesses and diseases early, as opposed to when they have developed more fully. Plus the whole thing of people not falling into horrible debt because they are unable to pay.

The truth is that the US has an insanely hosed up socialized medicine program because people with insurance already subsidize people without insurance, its just that the people without insurance still get insane bills that wreck their lives by the time they force themselves to go to the ER after living in pain for months/years.

• Locked thread