Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Was talking with some people IRL who were disappointed with the summer sale so they didn't buy anything. Then we started talking about games we're currently playing and I realize they're all talking about new releases they bought at full price (NieR, BATTLEGROUNDS, Ft13, Prey, etc). I mean, if you already bought the game at full price, then I can understand why DOOM and Dishonored 2 being at their lowest prices isn't impressive. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
q

is genital jousting legit fun

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Knight posted:

Was talking with some people IRL who were disappointed with the summer sale so they didn't buy anything. Then we started talking about games we're currently playing and I realize they're all talking about new releases they bought at full price (NieR, BATTLEGROUNDS, Ft13, Prey, etc). I mean, if you already bought the game at full price, then I can understand why DOOM and Dishonored 2 being at their lowest prices isn't impressive. :shrug:

A lot of people tend to buy games they want/that review well when they come out because they want to play them ASAP.

Steam sales are for picking up games you weren't ever that interested in and refunding them after about an hour when they inevitably turn out to be garbage/mediocre.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Usually I hate on indie games but this sale got mm to buy 2 that I really like.

Has anyone tried out this early access game called Empyrion? Looks like what No Man'y Sky was supposed to be.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

WILL WE SAVE MONEY? NO, WE ARE GAMER

Hippity Hoppity
Mar 18, 2017

heh bleb bleb bleb

donate to the humane society
Is hand of fate fun? I want an insiders take before taking the plunge

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Hippity Hoppity posted:

Is hand of fate fun? I want an insiders take before taking the plunge

It starts out okay but by the end the levels get so hard as to be impossible if the RNG fucks you with your starting cards.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Crosscode is an early access puzzle game/rpg with a demo but it's only 15% off right now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/CrossCode/

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mre
College Slice
Hollow Knight is still great, and I bought Prey once I realized it was made by Arkane & has nothing to do with the old IP

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I want prey but it's too expensive...next year, with tyranny.

Maybe I should finally finish System Shock 2 instead.

I ended up buying hollow knight and dead cells, dead cells is good so far. Snake pass is extremely cute and very hard. Probably going to do one or two more games but that's it this time. Still a little tempted on tyranny but I know I can just wait.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 26, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
prey is really good

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mre
College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I want prey but it's too expensive...next year, with tyranny.

Maybe I should finally finish System Shock 2 instead.

I ended up buying hollow knight and dead cells, dead cells is good so far.

Got Prey on PS4 since it was cheaper than the Steam sale

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got Bayonetta, Dark Souls 2, and then the Metro bundle and Ori because I watched the Microsoft E3 thing and those looked pretty good. Then I came and read this thread, and went back to buy Wolfenstein (knew I'd forgotten something). I'll pick up Nier when it's closer to $20.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what is combat like in tyranny because thats what turns me off rpgs

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I bought SOMA and even though I hate those spooky hide-from-the-bad-guy games I really like the story on this one.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A good idea is to torrent all the single player games you want to buy on steam if they are still too pricey

I got hearts of iron iv

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Knight posted:

I'm in this boat. I get everything new with 20+% off on Amazon (several upcoming games are already $30 off due to a Walmart price war/auto price matching) so I get to play them new instead of when the playerbase is dead (I play lots of mulitplayer) for maybe a few bucks more. I can't find anything interesting that I haven't played already.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got Portal Knights, Hollow Knight, My Summer Car, Rocket League, and Slime Rancher. Good haul.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

spudsbuckley posted:

A lot of people tend to buy games they want/that review well when they come out because they want to play them ASAP.

Steam sales are for picking up games you weren't ever that interested in and refunding them after about an hour when they inevitably turn out to be garbage/mediocre.
Yea this is me now. I stopped buying bundles years ago since I'd never play them. I have more money than free time so I'd rather spend more playing an amazing spectacle of a time than play mediocre poo poo (even if there are a few good parts). Life is too short to bother with anything less than the very best games and poo poo imo, even if it means paying more.

Same reason I bought a PS4 this year to play the small handful of extremely good games like Bloodborne/Horizon/yakuza/uncharted etc even if I don't play anything else on it

But really with GMG/dlgamer etc I'm still already getting a 20%+ discount on brand new games like I played $42 for Prey at launch and many others. Not really worth waiting to save a few bucks several months later

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Has anyone tried out this early access game called Empyrion? Looks like what No Man'y Sky was supposed to be.

I have not played Empyrion myself, but my fiancee is a huge dork for open world crafting games so she bought and played it for a while with another friend. She enjoyed it, but I also got the impression it's very much a programmers game? Lots of fiddling with how things work so you can do stuff like automate the gathering processes or whatever.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

a bone to pick posted:

It's fun but play it multiplayer. And yeah, it's pretty much what No Man's Sky should have been with less bloom and lense flare. Don't put 30mm cannons on your CVs. 30mm guns suck on CVs.

I'm apparently the one person who didn't like Dungeon of the Endless. I played it for 30 minutes, was utterly bored, returned it, and then fought with steam support over a $1 difference due to the DLC.

Subnautica is :tenbux:, buy that game. Just buy it, it's great, they just had a content update, and the story is almost finished (put it on an SSD or it will run like doo doo).

7 Days to Die is also :tenbux:. It's pretty good too. Again, multiplayer.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 27, 2017

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
got Wolfenstein, Doom and Darkest Dungeon. Just gonna hope I don't finish DD before these motherfuckers finish downloading

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just beat Full Throttle Remastered. I feel like it took me a lot longer than two hours when I was 12 years old.

Does Steam have any fps arena games? Can I just have Unreal Tournament? Why is everything zombie related or this survival nonsense?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FogHelmut posted:

Just beat Full Throttle Remastered. I feel like it took me a lot longer than two hours when I was 12 years old.

Does Steam have any fps arena games? Can I just have Unreal Tournament? Why is everything zombie related or this survival nonsense?
There have been several fps arena game attempts. Devil Daggers iis suppposedly p decent http://store.steampowered.com/app/422970/Devil_Daggers/

There is also Ziggurat which is good but maybe a little diff than what you want http://store.steampowered.com/app/308420/Ziggurat/

Also Shadow warrior 2 isn't arena but it's fast paced mission-based

But also just play Doom instead.

e: unless you are talking about MP FPS arena games then idk. The problem is they usually have small player pool and die off within a few months (if they aren't DOA already). You want want to keep an eye on this overwatch-clone thing called Lawbreakers by ol' cliffyb http://store.steampowered.com/sub/60743/

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 27, 2017

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ashes of the singularity is good. It's economy is like a lite version of supreme commander and that's fine.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I've been playing DOOM and enjoying it, and I recommend it to anyone on the fence. It just starts you off in the game killing things. No bullshit to deal with, just instant running and gunning.
I wish there was a way to make it less jaggy, because otherwise I play it on ultra settings without any problems.
Anyway, I got the chainsaw and before I could use it, i scrolled through my weapons and when I did that it made the chainsaw disappear forever. Is this normal? I'm 2 hours in and have yet to saw someone up. SAD.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the chainsaw is a limited use thing on a different key rather tahn a regular weapon

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
got too trigger-happy with the sale, bought some game called Miscreated and its so loving boring. I don't get the allure of these survival games anymore, minecraft is still the best one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

a bone to pick posted:

got too trigger-happy with the sale, bought some game called Miscreated and its so loving boring. I don't get the allure of these survival games anymore, minecraft is still the best one.

you should refund it if you've played less than 2 hrs

refund all bad games if you can

also yeah all the survival-crafting poo poo games are real bad. tho if you have some friends you can have fun with something like 7days to die

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Doom captures what made the original cool while updating it for modern games in a way that still doesn't seem like it should be possible.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I got Silo 2 for $30 (75% off). :kiddo:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

you should refund it if you've played less than 2 hrs

refund all bad games if you can

also yeah all the survival-crafting poo poo games are real bad. tho if you have some friends you can have fun with something like 7days to die

Yeah I initiated a refund, aimlessly wandering around collecting supplies does not entice me.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Haier posted:

I've been playing DOOM and enjoying it, and I recommend it to anyone on the fence. It just starts you off in the game killing things. No bullshit to deal with, just instant running and gunning.
I wish there was a way to make it less jaggy, because otherwise I play it on ultra settings without any problems.
Anyway, I got the chainsaw and before I could use it, i scrolled through my weapons and when I did that it made the chainsaw disappear forever. Is this normal? I'm 2 hours in and have yet to saw someone up. SAD.

double tap 1 or whatever you have your equip pistol key bound to to equip the chainsaw, I think holding Q / whatever you have last weapon bound to also brings up a weapon select wheel

im pretty sure there is also a dedicated "kill this fucker right in front of me with the chainsaw" hotkey but i forget what that is bound to by default

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Whoever I was telling not to buy that Crusader Kings expansion like 8 pages ago, I'm a stupid retard don't listen to me, it works fine now and it rules. Sorry

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heaven Spacey posted:

double tap 1 or whatever you have your equip pistol key bound to to equip the chainsaw, I think holding Q / whatever you have last weapon bound to also brings up a weapon select wheel

im pretty sure there is also a dedicated "kill this fucker right in front of me with the chainsaw" hotkey but i forget what that is bound to by default

I think chainsaw is G

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
domina is cool as hell
you play as atia of the julii and you level up gladiators in a stable to kill for glory

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like modern day sumo but not as cool

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Steam won't ever stop recommending anime to me because I bought and love: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 1-3; Ys games (Origin, and Oath in Felghana); and Recettear - which are all games I really recommend. It keeps recommending RPG maker games to me, and this Hyperdimention Neptunia game, which looks like some anime robot sex children nonsense,

I really don't like the aesthetic of Hollow Knight; I think I might be the only one, but maybe it's really good? Kind of reminds me, looking at it, of Dust and Elysian Tale, which was really great despite the furry look to it.

I guess I was lucky to play these games, because I wouldn't have bought any of them based on the way they look.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Captain Lavender posted:

Steam won't ever stop recommending anime to me because I bought and love: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 1-3; Ys games (Origin, and Oath in Felghana); and Recettear - which are all games I really recommend. It keeps recommending RPG maker games to me, and this Hyperdimention Neptunia game, which looks like some anime robot sex children nonsense,

Go here and click the "Customize Your Queue" button: http://store.steampowered.com/explore/
I believe adding tags to that filter may affect other recommendations on the site (as well as clicking "not interested" on that Neptunia game)

Other than "anime" (which may be a bit too broad to block outright if you like some related games)... I'd suggest "RPGMaker", "JRPG", "Clicker", "Hidden Object", and "Visual Novel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Is Neptunia the one that's, like, all the game consoles as anime girls? Someone tried to convince me to buy that once.

Oh if you guys like games like those Kaizo Mario romhacks, get Eryi's Action. It's a dumb little platformer that hates your guts

• Locked thread