Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
russia is stuck under the brutal hypnosis spell of a bald manlet

one day they will be free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Montasque posted:

Speaking of PRIDE.

BLM Toronto did another thing and all the white liberal 'wokies' on my fb are throwing a fit.

I loving love BLM Toronto.

Protesting pride from the left is cool this year and I'm glad of it.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

well the least you could've done is answer me

I didn't have a house at the time! Sorry!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I didn't have a house at the time! Sorry!

do you want mine

seriously do you

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
pride in buffalo cost 15 dollars to attend and had funny-money drink tickets :iamafag:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

When national Democrats come to North Carolina they seem to think it’s a good idea to mention barbecue, and even maybe to eat some. Apparently they’ve heard that barbecue is a big deal in our state. But the devil is in the details, and they usually get those wrong.

When Al Gore was campaigning here in 2000, for example, he knew enough to stop by a big political barbecue. But a friend of mine who traveled on his campaign bus says he knew the state was lost when Gore got off the bus and put his suit jacket on.

Just so, when Michelle Obama announced in 2011 that the next Democratic convention would be held in Charlotte, she listed “great barbecue” as one of that city’s attractions. But actually, it’s not: Charlotte is a well-known exception to the North Carolina rule. Even the city’s mayor was puzzled; he said that Charlotte has good barbecue, but the only great barbecue he’d eaten in Charlotte had been “brought in on a truck.” The Charlotte Observer, not usually averse to boosterism, published an editorial headlined, “Charlotte = great barbecue? Who knew?”

In 2016 Clinton continued this tradition of barbecultural cluelessness.

It would have been so easy for her to play the barbecue card with a visit to, say, Wilber’s Barbecue in Goldsboro, where Wilber Shirley, one of the greats of North Carolina barbecue, is also one of the last yellow-dog Democrats. This is a man who has a picture of FDR on the wall of his restaurant.

There’s a photograph of Wilber on the web holding a Barack Obama bobblehead, “show[ing] the President around the smoke house.” He had to settle for the bobblehead because the real Obama has never actually come to his place. The president prefers a place in Asheville that serves ribs (with blueberry-chipotle sauce!). He probably does like ribs – he’s from Chicago, after all – but trying to score barbecue points with North Carolina voters by eating ribs is like John Kerry’s asking for Swiss cheese on his Philly cheesesteak, or Sargent Shriver’s going to a tavern in an Ohio mill town and saying, “Make mine a Courvoisier!”

Clinton didn’t go to Wilber’s either. She ate her barbecue at a place in Charlotte called the Midwood Smoke House.

Whoever sent her there didn’t help her. It’s true that the food at Midwood is tasty, and its barbecued meats are cooked 100 percent with wood, which is commendable. But eating there is not the way to show the voters that you’re in touch with what one might call “Deep” North Carolina.

First of all, it’s in Charlotte (see above). And it’s not just that Queen City barbecue is something less than great. The problem is that when many North Carolinians hear “Charlotte,” they think of big business, “gentlemen’s clubs,” and traffic jams. Moreover, there’s a generalized suspicion that Charlotteans regard the rest of us as – well, as a basket of deplorables. This suspicion is fed by comments like one from a reader who wrote the Observer to say that “Charlotte has always suffered from an image problem, and it will only change when people separate ‘North Carolina’ and ‘Charlotte’ in their minds.”

So, for starters, Hillary ate her barbecue in the wrong town. Moreover, she ate it at a trendy place in a trendy neighborhood, with an “executive chef” named Matt, a place that gives its bar equal billing with its barbecue, with a menu offering not just pork barbecue, but also barbecued ribs, brisket, burnt ends, prime rib, ground chuck, sausage, chicken, and salmon, served with your choice of sauces: “eastern North Carolina vinegar,” “South Carolina mustard,” a Kansas City-style “Midwood signature,” and “spicy habañero.”

You often find this pick-your-meat, pick-your-sauce, International House of Barbecue approach in places like Charlotte that are full of newcomers from many different barbecue traditions, or none, but it is not the Tar Heel Way. The one-true-faith North Carolina approach is exemplified by the Skylight Inn in Ayden, where Sam Jones says, “When you come here, it’s not what you want, it’s how much of it.”

To many of us, barbecue from everywhere feels like barbecue from nowhere, and for all the political good it did her, Clinton could have skipped the smoked meat altogether and gone to a tapas bar.

I’m sure that Donald Trump knows as little about North Carolina barbecue as Hillary does, but he got better advice. Somebody told him to go to Stamey’s Barbecue in Greensboro, a venerable place that advertises its “Old Fashioned Barbecue.” Somebody even told him what to order -- according to WFMY-TV, he had “a glass of sweet tea, chopped BBQ, hushpuppies, slaw, and cherry cobbler with ice cream” – and his campaign was rewarded with a photograph, widely circulated, that showed him posing with the restaurant’s staff, a fine, smiling cross-section of North Carolina working people, pretty much the kind of folks who turned out on election day to put him over the top.

I’m not saying that Hillary could have won by eating at Stamey’s, but would it have hurt?

at least nobody went to bridges

omfg that place is as overrated as texas

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

It was actually a guy who I think still posts in tfr and is one of the most Zionist dudes ever on top of being cringey af so it can't be u chokes.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

those are all closed now, oldo :smug:

also they spun off the craftsman brand to some chinese slave labor factory a few years back so that poo poo's worthless

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

It was actually a guy who I think still posts in tfr and is one of the most Zionist dudes ever on top of being cringey af so it can't be u chokes.

dang you got me

gj

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

do you want mine

seriously do you

Nah, I live in Bloomington now. That would be a heck of a commute! Though I still love Louisville and if the fiancee found a job there, I would move back in a minute.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol turmp

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

also they spun off the craftsman brand to some chinese slave labor factory a few years back so that poo poo's worthless

craftsman? more like... crapsman! *propeller cap lifts head off of shoulders with enough torque to decapitate me*

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

dang you got me

gj

Bc u don't post in tfr. The rest checks out. ;)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jazerus posted:

science has discovered the cure to cancer

it's

JEB!

i can queue requests for forums cancer now!!!!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
tfw you realize Quatre killed the most innocent people in Gundam Wing

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Nichael posted:

Hulu I believe. It's one of my favorite shows ever.

yeah it's very good

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
No candidate has ever won on being "nice" in America

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Enkmar posted:

tfw you realize Quatre killed the most innocent people in Gundam Wing

:redhammer: :redhammer: :redhammer:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Venom Snake posted:

I want to say HW did

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i think that kiwi fruit is probably too small

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

anime is retarded and so is my president

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

I want to say HW did

carter

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Squizzle posted:

i can queue requests for forums cancer now!!!!

would anybody allow them? i thought that poo poo was too much of a pain to keep running properly :shrug:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Glumslinger posted:

I want to say HW did

Running on being Reagans third term is anything but nice. Also he spouted a lot of the same hateful anti-government poo poo

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i am suspicious of all tiny fruit that isn't simply a mass of berries

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Venom Snake posted:

Obama was pretty nice.

E: In fact the only time Obama was a dick was when he clowned on Trump during the Correspondence Dinner which lead to Trump running for office.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I always played them in NBA Jam bc I knew nothing bout sports but I liked their logo

they have some new illuminati pyramid of logos now?????

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carter ran a fairly hawkish campaign. He's a nice man now but he's the guy who started the whole "arming the middle east" thing

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I want to say HW did

willie horton

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
trump

he is a very nice man

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Squizzle posted:

Now do one for the Bobcats *shudders*

Did you know that they were named the Bobcats in honor of the owner, Bob Johnson?

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
real drunk but

Heidegger talked about humankind existing in a state between what they are and what they are not

cspam is this except with the piss tape

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

Obama was pretty nice.

E: In fact the only time Obama was a dick was when he clowned on Trump during the Correspondence Dinner which lead to Trump running for office.

Okay I think people are missing here that candidates who make being nice an actual part of their campaign platform here are losers. Typically these are the "vote for me I'm not x" candidates.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

would anybody allow them? i thought that poo poo was too much of a pain to keep running properly :shrug:

idk but maybe????

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Now do one for the Bobcats *shudders*

Did you know that they were named the Bobcats in honor of the owner, Bob Johnson?
what was he a cat or something

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
akira soundtrack - dolls' polyphony, but with trump saying 'bing bong'.flac

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:chaostrump:

:votegop:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

When national Democrats come to North Carolina they seem to think it’s a good idea to mention barbecue, and even maybe to eat some. Apparently they’ve heard that barbecue is a big deal in our state. But the devil is in the details, and they usually get those wrong.

When Al Gore was campaigning here in 2000, for example, he knew enough to stop by a big political barbecue. But a friend of mine who traveled on his campaign bus says he knew the state was lost when Gore got off the bus and put his suit jacket on.

Just so, when Michelle Obama announced in 2011 that the next Democratic convention would be held in Charlotte, she listed “great barbecue” as one of that city’s attractions. But actually, it’s not: Charlotte is a well-known exception to the North Carolina rule. Even the city’s mayor was puzzled; he said that Charlotte has good barbecue, but the only great barbecue he’d eaten in Charlotte had been “brought in on a truck.” The Charlotte Observer, not usually averse to boosterism, published an editorial headlined, “Charlotte = great barbecue? Who knew?”

In 2016 Clinton continued this tradition of barbecultural cluelessness.

It would have been so easy for her to play the barbecue card with a visit to, say, Wilber’s Barbecue in Goldsboro, where Wilber Shirley, one of the greats of North Carolina barbecue, is also one of the last yellow-dog Democrats. This is a man who has a picture of FDR on the wall of his restaurant.

There’s a photograph of Wilber on the web holding a Barack Obama bobblehead, “show[ing] the President around the smoke house.” He had to settle for the bobblehead because the real Obama has never actually come to his place. The president prefers a place in Asheville that serves ribs (with blueberry-chipotle sauce!). He probably does like ribs – he’s from Chicago, after all – but trying to score barbecue points with North Carolina voters by eating ribs is like John Kerry’s asking for Swiss cheese on his Philly cheesesteak, or Sargent Shriver’s going to a tavern in an Ohio mill town and saying, “Make mine a Courvoisier!”

Clinton didn’t go to Wilber’s either. She ate her barbecue at a place in Charlotte called the Midwood Smoke House.

Whoever sent her there didn’t help her. It’s true that the food at Midwood is tasty, and its barbecued meats are cooked 100 percent with wood, which is commendable. But eating there is not the way to show the voters that you’re in touch with what one might call “Deep” North Carolina.

First of all, it’s in Charlotte (see above). And it’s not just that Queen City barbecue is something less than great. The problem is that when many North Carolinians hear “Charlotte,” they think of big business, “gentlemen’s clubs,” and traffic jams. Moreover, there’s a generalized suspicion that Charlotteans regard the rest of us as – well, as a basket of deplorables. This suspicion is fed by comments like one from a reader who wrote the Observer to say that “Charlotte has always suffered from an image problem, and it will only change when people separate ‘North Carolina’ and ‘Charlotte’ in their minds.”

So, for starters, Hillary ate her barbecue in the wrong town. Moreover, she ate it at a trendy place in a trendy neighborhood, with an “executive chef” named Matt, a place that gives its bar equal billing with its barbecue, with a menu offering not just pork barbecue, but also barbecued ribs, brisket, burnt ends, prime rib, ground chuck, sausage, chicken, and salmon, served with your choice of sauces: “eastern North Carolina vinegar,” “South Carolina mustard,” a Kansas City-style “Midwood signature,” and “spicy habañero.”

You often find this pick-your-meat, pick-your-sauce, International House of Barbecue approach in places like Charlotte that are full of newcomers from many different barbecue traditions, or none, but it is not the Tar Heel Way. The one-true-faith North Carolina approach is exemplified by the Skylight Inn in Ayden, where Sam Jones says, “When you come here, it’s not what you want, it’s how much of it.”

To many of us, barbecue from everywhere feels like barbecue from nowhere, and for all the political good it did her, Clinton could have skipped the smoked meat altogether and gone to a tapas bar.

I’m sure that Donald Trump knows as little about North Carolina barbecue as Hillary does, but he got better advice. Somebody told him to go to Stamey’s Barbecue in Greensboro, a venerable place that advertises its “Old Fashioned Barbecue.” Somebody even told him what to order -- according to WFMY-TV, he had “a glass of sweet tea, chopped BBQ, hushpuppies, slaw, and cherry cobbler with ice cream” – and his campaign was rewarded with a photograph, widely circulated, that showed him posing with the restaurant’s staff, a fine, smiling cross-section of North Carolina working people, pretty much the kind of folks who turned out on election day to put him over the top.

I’m not saying that Hillary could have won by eating at Stamey’s, but would it have hurt?

I live in southern nc and every non Sanders supporter around me was convinced trump would fix politics long before anybody put cherry cobbler in front of fatass.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Squizzle posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

logikv9 posted:

trump

he is a very nice man

da comrade, trump is nice person

• Locked thread