Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The best return I've had on any investment has been my US Bond Index that I bought before the CAD poo poo the bed.

Hoooooo boy has that one purchase saved my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It's just a good call to bet against Canada at this point.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I was at the Keg doing some DD about housing for the debt megathread, and some people at my table raised an interesting datapoint I'd never heard before. Over 250k unoccupied homes in the gta. Anyone else hear this or got numbers?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

I was at the Keg doing some DD about housing for the debt megathread, and some people at my table raised an interesting datapoint I'd never heard before. Over 250k unoccupied homes in the gta. Anyone else hear this or got numbers?

The census only tracks housing not occupied by a permanent resident, so empty houses are counted the same as homes occupied by TFWs, and foreign students and such.

The toronto metro area as defined by the census has a population of 5.9m, 2,235,145 private residences of which 2,135,909 are occupied by usual residents, so there are 99,236 dwellings either unoccupied, un-rented second homes or occupied by non-permanent residents

e: also worth noting the census was 2016, and there are around 35-40k new housing starts a month. The number could be pumped up by houses and condos nobody who lives in the city can afford.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 26, 2017

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

It's really depressing talking to "urban planners" or people with a keen interest in the subject but absolutely zero understanding of economics or finance. The solution to vancouver is more supply. The problem with vancouver and every problem in the entire world is nimby's fighting density. With enough density all problems are solved. Gentrification isn't a problem, it's once again solved by more supply. There's no economic problems in Vancouver because prices are high, it's simply supply and demand. We could be living in a post-scarcity utopia if those drat politicians and racist nimbys (poor ethnic communities are just racist against rich white people) just allowed the density that the market is demanding.

You try to talk about local incomes, or actual population increases, or market speculation, or our insane levels of debt, and it's all just waved away because ultimately it's only about supply and demand.

What gets me is that people who say it's supply and demand don't seem to realize that there are two sides to the equation - the supply side, and the demand side, but none of those idiots ever talk about addressing the demand side, because FREE MARKET HUR DUR DUR.

Morons.

Edit: And Michael Campbell, and his carnival huckster sidekick Michael Levy, are the worst for this kind of crap. I haven't listened to CKNW in years, but these clowns are a big reason why.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What do you expect when 22% of gdp comes directly from real estate?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

What gets me is that people who say it's supply and demand don't seem to realize that there are two sides to the equation - the supply side, and the demand side, but none of those idiots ever talk about addressing the demand side, because FREE MARKET HUR DUR DUR.

Morons.

Edit: And Michael Campbell, and his carnival huckster sidekick Michael Levy, are the worst for this kind of crap. I haven't listened to CKNW in years, but these clowns are a big reason why.

But profits

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Oh man we are closing in on 1000 pages of "buy now or be priced out forever" people being right all along

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just lol if you've been keeping all your money in a savings account all this time

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

Just lol if you've been keeping all your money in a savings account all this time

Especially denominated in CAD, can you even imagine?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I like this thread but we've made a lot of money off real estate over the last decade.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Vehementi posted:

Oh man we are closing in on 1000 pages of "buy now or be priced out forever" people being right all along

1000 pages is the final straw that breaks the camel's back.

The realtors are sweating right now...

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

if you'd invested in VUN in 2013 you would have doubled your money by now. gently caress housing

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Any investment, even real estate, can be highly profitable so long as you can time the market. :ssh:

This thread is about discussing how most Canadians are too stupid to do that, and will be financially ruined by the outcome. If you want to lump yourself in with that metric, that's on you. :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you suggesting that you're smart enough to time the market? Bold claim, if so, and I'd love to see your historical returns.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

Any investment, even real estate, can be highly profitable so long as you can time the market. :ssh:

This thread is about discussing how most Canadians are too stupid to do that, and will be financially ruined by the outcome. If you want to lump yourself in with that metric, that's on you. :shrug:
Safe as houses

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Are you suggesting that you're smart enough to time the market? Bold claim, if so, and I'd love to see your historical returns.

unzips pants and lays footlong cock on the table

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shh, not you. Wait inside.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Subjunctive posted:

Nobody can time the market, dipshit. All you can do is get lucky.

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 27, 2017

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's really depressing talking to "urban planners" or people with a keen interest in the subject but absolutely zero understanding of economics or finance. The solution to vancouver is more supply. The problem with vancouver and every problem in the entire world is nimby's fighting density. With enough density all problems are solved. Gentrification isn't a problem, it's once again solved by more supply. There's no economic problems in Vancouver because prices are high, it's simply supply and demand. We could be living in a post-scarcity utopia if those drat politicians and racist nimbys (poor ethnic communities are just racist against rich white people) just allowed the density that the market is demanding.

You try to talk about local incomes, or actual population increases, or market speculation, or our insane levels of debt, and it's all just waved away because ultimately it's only about supply and demand.

I don't personally know any planners, but from what I see on blogs and twitter, it does seem like a lot of them do have their blinders on and are ignoring broader issues in favour of focusing on novel dutch bike lane intersections and how shipping containers can liven up the public realm. Perhaps some do have strong opinions on housing solutions, but keep a lid on it due to the vaguely political nature of their job. On the other hand maybe a lot of them really don't give a poo poo about the complex issues that affect a city, and just like playing in the sandbox and designing some unrealistic neighbourhood with no regard for reality. They get excited when their boss asks them to draw a new Innovation Hub for some aspirational planning document.

Their job revolves around designing new things, new buildings and neighbourhoods, so it's not surprising to me that their opinions would tilt mostly toward adding new supply as a start.

It seems to me that they're pretty limited in what they can do. Vancouver is not in the position of Vienna and isn't able to build publicly owned housing on a massive scale. Many of the issues relevant to the housing bubble can only be tackled by federal and provincial politicians, not municipal bureaucrats. The city of Vancouver should raise property taxes, but again that seems like a political decision, and not something planners weigh in on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rime posted:

I Loose My House is such a good thread subtitle, but drat if the titles on this and the CanPol thread aren't currently better somehow. Has this one been Uncle Wong's Cabin since the beginning?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Perfect.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

the talent deficit posted:

if you'd invested in VUN in 2013 you would have doubled your money by now. gently caress housing

You can double your money in housing and the market at the same time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rime posted:

Nobody can time the market, dipshit.

Rime posted:

This thread is about discussing how most Canadians are too stupid to do that,

Too stupid to do what, exactly?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
real estate only goes up. they arent building any more land

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Rime posted:

Well, he's already shameless so it's about time his dignity went too.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Questionable without a concrete source but w/e

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/6jsab8/interesting_economic_insights_from_banking_deputy/

Had an opportunity to see a presentation by Benjamin Tal, Deputy Chief Economist of CIBC. It was a general update on the state of economic affairs across the world and how it pertained to canada.
What I remember:
  • American economy is doing well, largely the hold over of Obama's policies and free/cheap money.
  • Trump's proposed infrastructure spending is ridiculously small boost to the economy, would be irrelevant if it happens
  • 10% tax cut to upper class will not result in investment, as productivity gains are slow: there's too much output already
  • jobs aren't coming back. since the 1960s automation have displaced jobs at a rate of 8:1 over offshoring, offshoring is a myth
  • China's GDP is based on 4% sales to the US; if tariffs are envoked, it will hurt the US more as a 2% China export market will have China disengage from any US policies
  • US workforce is in dire straights; there are more people collecting old age security and disability than actually working. until a party acknowledges this as their core platform, populism will continue to succeed in his opinion (personal, not bank policy).
  • the 'great' employment numbers in the US right now are still worse than the 91 recession at its height. this is likely as good as it will get until a new boom driven by technology or some innovation.]
  • the philips curve (e.g. wages rise and unemployment falls) is broken. joked that they should take his nobel prize back.
UK / Brexit
  • Bet against the pound; Trump is anti-free trade which was the UK's safety value, and the EU will look to make an example of Britain as long as Angela Merkle is still around.

China:
  • can't trust any economic numbers from china. 6.5% growth is highly suspect.

Canada:
  • $300b debt for Ontario is not a ticking timebomb, but will hamper future governments over the next 5-10-20 years, as debt servicing will be more difficult. opens a window long term for Alberta to potentially eclipse Ontario as the economic engine of canada in the coming decades, in the same way Ontario supplanted Quebec.
  • Toronto real estate is a very complicated problem: foreign investment, immigration, growth policies, interest rates, cheap money.
  • Green belt is #1 reason why housing suddenly skyrocketed. housing industry has not shifted to high density units fast enough, and there's hard limits on expansion.
    rent control enacted by Wynne's government is catastrophic. over 20 'for rent' purpose built initiatives have been cancelled already. inflation +2% is his recommendation, he anticipates this will be the policy after the next election no matter who is in charge.
  • Vancouver's tax had a short term 8 month effect, that is over and growth will return.
  • Relative to other world class cities, Toronto is still affordable. The mentality of people needs to change, to couples raising families in apartments and/or townhouses in high density areas; this is the way most of the rest of the world behaves and should be considered normal. its political suicide to state this however.
    inflation is happening, bank of canada will be raising interest rates soon. inflation is a lagging indicator, we may already be too late...oil has come back, west is growing again.
    every recession in the last 40 years was a result of poor interest rate policy (according to Tal). inflation escaping control, interest rates rise quickly to compensate, trigger recession due to whiplash.
  • Canada is relatively well positioned compared to the rest of western nations.
  • Canada has the highest educated workfroce, but also the lowest paid educated workforce and the highest unemployment amongst educated. two solutions to this: 1) move to less property ownership and more renting, so people can migrate to opportunity more easily, 2) canada needs to produce more purposeful education and less humanities/arts/sociology/political science. another political minefield, but will need to be addressed.
  • education is the one cost that has risen above the cost of inflation the past few decades; every other industry/product has seen vast reductions in total cost.
I believe I caught the gist of everything he said; my understanding is this was a canned presentation he shares with numerous business groups, employees, government officials, etc. Its reflective of his own analysis, not necessarily a consensus opinion for the industry.

He admits he had tough word with the ontario minister of finance re: rent control. He expressed no opinion for or against the green belt, merely that it was influencing house prices economically.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
A lot of dumb poo poo on that list on both the international and domestic fronts.

Also how exactly would Alberta eclipse Ontario economically aside from oil production which we know is going down long term?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If speculation is driving the Toronto re market why do you need more supply

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

To allow more speculation, duh.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

..rent control enacted by Wynne's government is catastrophic. over 20 'for rent' purpose built initiatives have been cancelled already.

I'd love to see a source for his claim that purpose built rental proposals are being pulled. I'm suspicious of this.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

I'd love to see a source for his claim that purpose built rental proposals are being pulled. I'm suspicious of this.

He's in an advantaged position to collect shop talk both internally and from other banks re: financing projects...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Mo Supply Mo Money

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

You don't think a banker would lie or exaggerate about the impact of a regulation... do you?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm intrigued by his claim that oil is already back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you were a developer building rental properties and you cancelled them because of the legislation, why would you keep quiet about it?

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
Tal's views on Toronto real estate are stupid. This "global city" thing is nonsense. SF, NY, etc. have seen rents rise dramatically alongside prices. The place I live in now (for which I pay 2,750 per month) would rent for CAD 5,000 in SF/NY but I bet its market price would be comparable. I went to a similar presentation a whole back and asked him how his story is consistent with price-rent ratio dynamics and he ignored me.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PittTheElder posted:

I'm intrigued by his claim that oil is already back.

I know loving lol

Opec is totally working you guys

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
If the house of saud doesn't pump, their state budget goes deeper in the red. They screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What if the world just put an embargo on all of Saudi Arabia until they stop being an rear end-backward medieval hellhole?

That would help oil prices in the short term, and also the Saudi Problem in the longer term.