Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Rooty tooty point and shooty 😁

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I mean the language is called English so I think I'm gonna defer to English people's judgement on how it works

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nordick posted:

I mean the language is called English so I think I'm gonna defer to English people's judgement on how it works

So how do you feel about the opinions of the scottish communities that have been speaking the language since at least the 1000s?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

eonwe posted:

I enjoy anime very much

anime is real good

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So how do you feel about the opinions of the scottish communities that have been speaking the language since at least the 1000s?
I feel that they also have more say in how the English language works than Americans.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nordick posted:

I feel that they also have more say in how the English language works than Americans.

The americans who are descended ethnically and linguistically from the same exact stock, or the disgusting masses of foreigners who, by the millions, are ethnically distinct but have been speaking the english language for six generations?

Why does the geographical birthplace of ethnically british, cultural anglo english native speakers somehow determine which english is the one true tongue?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Lmao at this conversation wtf is wrong with you ahhahahahahha

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Similarly french fries such as would accompany fried fish or a hamburger are fried, but don't chip.
They don't chip because they are chips.

Dictionary.com posted:

noun
1. a small, slender piece, as of wood, separated by chopping, cutting, or breaking.
2. a very thin slice or small piece of food, candy, etc.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lorry is a made-up word and car trunks serve the same purpose as regular trunks, and not the purpose of boots.
Literally all words are made up, and what do you mean regular trunks? Elephant noses? Swimwear?

WampaLord posted:

Biscuit to mean cookie is the dumbest British mixup word, imo. So what do they call biscuits? Oh, they don't have those, they have crumpets.
What do you think a crumpet is? :crossarms:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

On the other hand if you're a brit visiting america don't be confused/angry if you ask for a sandwich with chips and you get what we call chips instead of fries. It's all about context and knowing your audience.
Can I be confused if I went to a pub in Australia and ordered a bowl of chips and got a bowl of crisps instead of the bowl of fries I was expecting? Because I was.

Also, I think the best option is clearly to call them crisps and fries and call neither "chips" because that avoids all ambiguity. I still call them both chips because I don't want to sound like a weirdo though.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 07:29 on Jun 27, 2017

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
can we just gas the concept of language jfc

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why does the geographical birthplace of ethnically british, cultural anglo english native speakers somehow determine which english is the one true tongue?
Because you don't loving know what "crisp" means

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Davy, the british dude who first isolated aluminum, said June 1812: "This substance appears to contain a peculiar metal, but as yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state, though alloys of it with other metalline substances have been procured sufficiently distinct to indicate the probable nature of alumina."

i know you said not to quote you but davy actually isolated an alloy of aluminum-iron (he nearly says as much in your post), it was a dane by the name of hans christian oersted who first isolated a few flakes of aluminum embedded in an amalgam slurry of potassium while the famous german chemist friedrich woehler finally made enough aluminum to first rigorously analyze and he usually gets credit for the first isolation

later on a frenchmen henri etienne sainte-claire deville developed a process to produce quasi-commercial quantities of aluminum for use in the silverware of rich people, like Napoleon III who supposedly entertained the good guests with aluminum utensils and plebs with gold, until finally an american, charles martin hall, and a french dude, paul heroult, independently developed the hall-heroult process to produce absolutely silly amounts of aluminum for use in regular commodities

e: thought this was the hist fact thread for a moment

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hard counter posted:

i know you said not to quote you but davy actually isolated an alloy of aluminum-iron (he nearly says as much in your post), it was a dane by the name of hans christian oersted who first isolated a few flakes of aluminum embedded in an amalgam slurry of potassium while the famous german chemist friedrich woehler finally made enough aluminum to first rigorously analyze and he usually gets credit for the first isolation

later on a frenchmen henri etienne sainte-claire deville developed a process to produce quasi-commercial quantities of aluminum for use in the silverware of rich people, like Napoleon III who supposedly entertained the good guests with aluminum utensils and plebs with gold, until finally an american, charles martin hall, and a french dude, paul heroult, independently developed the hall-heroult process to produce absolutely silly amounts of aluminum for use in regular commodities

e: thought this was the hist fact thread for a moment

nevertheless all those folks agreed that the thing was called aluminum and only wannabe romans pretended it was aluminium.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
aluminium matches the other 50% of the periodic table ending in -ium so I prefer it :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

starkebn posted:

aluminium matches the other 50% of the periodic table ending in -ium so I prefer it :shrug:

The American Chemical Society said it's aluminum, and we've got the best science (and the best words) so...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

starkebn posted:

How do you feel about "to boldly go"...

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I think there's something inherent about languages that makes people irrationally angry about dialectal differences. Maybe it's the ol' tribalism instinct. Obviously your group is speaking it the correct way and those nasty foreigner-cousins are speaking a pale, butchered imitation of God's Own Language. As for foreigners who cannot even speak your language, they grunt like animals and can hardly be considered people. Foreigners who learn to speak your language are ok, but only if they take the right side in the dialect debate.

My unpopular opinion is that since these same opinions appear worldwide among all language groups, they must have an evolutionary advantage and should be encouraged.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if I'm also a native french speaker

Proper, not like those quebeckers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

You mean Burn Notice
Burn Notice was the McGuyver series of the 2010s. In a good way.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Isn't Quebec the America of France?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Lol at Edgar AH being given dictionary definitions that prove him wrong and choosing to ignore them and continue to be totally wrong

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Irish, Scottish and Australian English are all better than American and British varieties, which are retarded and stagnant respectively.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Phuo: the English language is really backwards and dumb.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we as a planet should just flip a coin for English or Mandarin and just commit

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The world already recognizes that English is the de facto language of science, we should just make it formal that it's the language of everything and get it over with. Maybe it can be what world war 3 is fought over. The English/Australians will just have to make their choice: stop calling things silly names like "lolly" and "lorry" or join the russians or chinese.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My PHUO opinion is that it's really dumb to get defensive over the purity of your language when a significant number of your words are nabbed from bastardized French, German and Latin.
English is a mongrel language with little consistency.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Its a shame Esperanto never caught on.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I wish I knew every language.

Because I wanna eat all of the foods of the world.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

My PHUO opinion is that it's really dumb to get defensive over the purity of your language when a significant number of your words are nabbed from bastardized French, German and Latin.

yeah lets double down on gendered languages like they have any place in a modern world.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mu Zeta posted:

Lay's make a competitive product called Stax and I think it's cheaper than Pringles but I never see anyone buying them or eating them. Stax sounds more extreme and crispier.

They are indeed the superior product and I eat them all the time. I wish they came in more flavors.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lorry is a made-up word

There is no other kind of word.

Also as far as I can tell you can approximate Aussie slang by simply truncating every noun and ending it with -rvo

Dross has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Jun 27, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Let's make a deal was better than the price is right and I wish reruns of that were constantly on daytime tv instead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Das Boo posted:

It's dumb to pretend that english is unique because it's "bastardized" uniquely as opposed to every other language (especially saying it's bastardized german bc english is a germanic language through and through, there's nothing that makes "recht" or "frei" any more correct or ancient* than "right" or "free" or "rätt" or "fri", in fact german got standardized long after english, dutch, danish, and swedish). French for example is a latin dialect pasted over with some west germanic words and grammar and nowadays loves to adopt dumb poo poo like "du shampooing" and " le scotch" but no one talks about how they stole all their words. Also in my experience thinking english is super special mongrel talk directly correlates with being wildly unfamiliar with any other language or the history of such. We have very easy very germanic grammar and really the only hard part is our spelling/pronunciation.

*This situation is radically different than the differences between US and UK english, one of which is clearly dumb poo poo for idiots. Lol at all y'all gettin' up in arms about dumbass limey speak. How's about just stop and talk like god intended? Pip pip tallyho crisps my rear end you redcoated jerkoffs, you sound like cartoons.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

You are a mongrel.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jastiger posted:

You are a mongrel.

Duh, I speak English.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
whats that, languages share words, and the melting-pot of languages is comprised of multiple languages?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Duh, I speak English.

Me too!

Actually mongels are genetically superior.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Me too!

Actually mongels are genetically superior.

racist :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

spit on my clit posted:

whats that, languages share words, and the melting-pot of languages is comprised of multiple languages?

Sure, and it's not limited to English. But we were discussing English and God's True English, which is dumb when it's a jumbled mess of borrowed bits to begin with. Like bitching about "color" vs "colour" when it's taken from "colorare." Do you argue that the British version is correct because the English speak English or is it that the American version is correct because it's closer to the Latin from which the word's derived?
(They are both correct.)

Autocorrect's trying really hard to gently caress with me today.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's dumb to say that one regional variance is somehow "correct" when you're talking about language

It is, however, completely possible for one regional variance to be better, and American English is clearly better than British English

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The one I find really weird is "zed," particularly because it's hardly ever used in British speech as far as I can tell. I know zebra and zebu use it, but that's all I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Das Boo posted:

The one I find really weird is "zed," particularly because it's hardly ever used in British speech as far as I can tell. I know zebra and zebu use it, but that's all I've ever heard.

Every british/australian astronomer/physicist I've seen give a talk uses it and it irrationally bothers me. It's just kind of jarring to go from x and y to zed. Also "naught" instead of zero. Also decimal points instead of commas, like 1.000 for one thousand.