Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife and I tried to brave a wind wall with just sails, no wings or engines. It didn't work out too well, but it was kind of awkward. Our sails took damage and disabled themselves, so we repaired and then they instantly were damaged again. We spent like 1000 wood repairing for no real reason. Then our ship got to the point where it was just floating, not taking damage, not crashing, just kind of hanging out. We figured we were stuck and abandoned ship. They should definitely improve that experience somewhat.

That is almost exactly what I did. I fixed the sails once hoping to get away from the wall so I could get to land and reorganize my plan. However the wall sucked my ship and immediately broke them again. Could I have destroyed my personal spawn point and relogged back onto land? You cannot salvage attached ship parts, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

That is almost exactly what I did. I fixed the sails once hoping to get away from the wall so I could get to land and reorganize my plan. However the wall sucked my ship and immediately broke them again. Could I have destroyed my personal spawn point and relogged back onto land? You cannot salvage attached ship parts, correct?

I'm still a super newb but I'm pretty sure we were out of luck in our situations. You can only remove parts if your ship is docked, can't salvage them if they're attached... so if you're stuck you're pretty much SOL as far as I can tell.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

I'm still a super newb but I'm pretty sure we were out of luck in our situations. You can only remove parts if your ship is docked, can't salvage them if they're attached... so if you're stuck you're pretty much SOL as far as I can tell.

Was just reading the stickied thread in the suggestions forum, and it appears salvaging attached parts may eventually be a thing (if I read it right and if it includes personal spawns.)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Correct. The only thing that can be done is building another ship and using that to tow the crippled ship out - but that level of effort is far in excess of the salvage value of your ship.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was tired of my ship being too practical and useful so I made a hot rod:

Interior view:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

Was just reading the stickied thread in the suggestions forum, and it appears salvaging attached parts may eventually be a thing (if I read it right and if it includes personal spawns.)

Cool, that seems like a good change.

FileNotFound posted:

Correct. The only thing that can be done is building another ship and using that to tow the crippled ship out - but that level of effort is far in excess of the salvage value of your ship.

Can you build a shipyard on a ship? Or do you mean respawn at the nearest respawn tower and then go and pick up your ship?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Can you build a shipyard on a ship? Or do you mean respawn at the nearest respawn tower and then go and pick up your ship?

The later. You can build a basic hull with just sails and wings to tow your ship to the nearest island.

There are no ways to modify or replace components outside of a yard. It's only really worth towing the ship if you have a core full of upgrades that you cannot build. Otherwise from a time perspective it's easier to respawn nearby and rebuild.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Fog Tripper posted:

That is almost exactly what I did. I fixed the sails once hoping to get away from the wall so I could get to land and reorganize my plan. However the wall sucked my ship and immediately broke them again. Could I have destroyed my personal spawn point and relogged back onto land?
The options for nearest respawn and island are always there, and will remove your personal bind if you use them. No need to destroy the spawner. Just set it floating down to the abyss to save everyone some lag and use one of the bottom two respawn options.

Towing with another boat is also an option (though you might need help to do so), but if it was small and made of wood or something then probably easier to just make a new one then go back and get anything that was left in the boxes if you so desire.

Also apparently it's possible to put a shipyard on a ship somehow, but I don't know the method and it's a bug/exploit of some sort.

Songbearer posted:

I was tired of my ship being too practical and useful so I made a hot rod:
Other than the imbalanced engines that looks pretty practical, actually.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Cool, that seems like a good change.

Having a mobile repair ship with a yard on top would be a hoot.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Kylra posted:

Other than the imbalanced engines that looks pretty practical, actually.

Here is true impractical :getin:

I tried to see if it was possible to make a ship on a minimum sized possible bracket, and this is the result. If I don't have a cannon I can have almost full visibility on the helm, but having almost no ability to see while steering is a sacrifice I am willing to make for the sake of having a gun on this stupid thing.

I already fought off two pirates in separate fights with it, and they couldn't kill me because it thrashes around like crazy if you just push the throttle and pull the stick before bailing off the helm to repair. They couldn't grab the helm or shoot my core out while I was repairing it, and the wings kept wrapping the grapple so they would lose speed and I could shoot them. After I got them off of the grapples I could ascend upwards faster than them and just jump down and bomb them repeatedly.

For bonus points in its prototype design, the spawner would spawn me inside the gas tank and then violently eject me in a random direction after a few seconds of unity wondering what to do with its physics simulations. It's also super cheap to make, and because of its size you can pretty much cram anything you want on it as far as weight is concerned.

If they go through with their boarding changes that they're talking about on their forums it'll be a total bitch to take down since pistols won't be the death machines they are now.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 27, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Songbearer posted:

I also came across this monstrosity at one point:

God knows what they were planning to do with this.

thats a lot of wood you can salvage lmbo

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Commoners posted:

Here is true impractical :getin:
I dunno you still have everything on there and with even less frame. I've seen much worse.

Commoners posted:

If they go through with their boarding changes that they're talking about on their forums it'll be a total bitch to take down since pistols won't be the death machines they are now.

Gonna get eaten by mantas.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

thats a lot of wood you can salvage lmbo

I'm pretty sure you can't salvage things attached to a frame and that's considered a frame.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Kylra posted:

Gonna get eaten by mantas.

I've actually not had problems with mantas in t3 so far. They sort of glitch out and get stuck on my ship and don't actually hit anything. The only time I've lost a part is when the mantas balled up into a stack of 12 all clipping into each other and the stuff on top just sheered off instantly while they were all ~30 meters away still.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is there a good guide for modifying ship schematics?

I can stretch the ship out from the front and back but I can't figure out how to widen it or take anything out.

Also is it random if you make it through the wind wall. I have made it twice with a ship, but the third time. I died. The only difference was I had a couple of trunks added to the ship

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raged posted:

Is there a good guide for modifying ship schematics?

I can stretch the ship out from the front and back but I can't figure out how to widen it or take anything out.

Also is it random if you make it through the wind wall. I have made it twice with a ship, but the third time. I died. The only difference was I had a couple of trunks added to the ship

You can add sections forward and backwards and up and down, but you can't add sections to the side, only widen existing sections. The limit is 6 long and 4 tall. You can do some interesting things by varying the width of section stacked on top of each other though. Wind walls are a test of engine power, wing power and piloting skill. My guess is that you started high on the wind wall the first time and made it through, and the second time you were low enough to get pushed into the understorm.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Songbearer posted:

I also came across this monstrosity at one point:

God knows what they were planning to do with this.

They just wanted to build a borg cube.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

I'm pretty sure you can't salvage things attached to a frame and that's considered a frame.

:confused:

no i was able to salvage floorboards before, you cant do anything with the frame but if there is a wood panel attached in anyway, flooring or wall, it can be salvaged but the return isn't that great iirc

i did it before to get certain types of wood tho

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

:confused:

no i was able to salvage floorboards before, you cant do anything with the frame but if there is a wood panel attached in anyway, flooring or wall, it can be salvaged but the return isn't that great iirc

i did it before to get certain types of wood tho

That used to be true, but isn't anymore, but will be again in the future.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Raged posted:

How often are there going to be wipes?

Just asking since on a SSD US(West) is playable from Aus and US(East) is a dumpster fire

hint hint move to west on the next wipe

I jumped from west to east yesterday and yeah, west is best.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

More keys should be available around this time tomorrow (Wednesday), (5pm BST/9am PDT/Noon EDT/ 6pm CEST). This batch will be online for a few hours!

https://twitter.com/WorldsAdrift/status/879731051714809856

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

So much for releasing a 'small batch of keys'

Not complaining though - more pubbies to inspect

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think at this stage of the game it's a good idea to have a steady rollout of new players. There's still a lot of polish to put on and mechanics to sort out but the core of the game is solid and the more player interaction, the better.

Of course I run away the moment I see anyone but that's neither here nor there

I was looking at some older media for the game and there was a photography mechanic in the works where you could take pictures which would then be physical objects you could place in your ship. I hope that's still in the books, I love the idea of decking your ship out with holiday snaps (and someone coming across a sad wreckage with cute beach shots in it later)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
yea! something like

smoking wreckage posted:

Wish You Were Here~!!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Applied to Slam Whales on ye olde WA forume. :ohdear:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Here was my final evolution of the Hot Rod, which I have since considered more of an all-purpose Sky Car:

Really enjoyed driving this ship. It had a container in the front full of unique clothes and hats I found, a barrel by the helm containing fuels and repair materials, and a cupboard in the back containing all the crafting materials and previously learned schematics in case I found someone who needed something. From the helm you could jump onto the fuel container and then onto the roof, then grapple the roof to fit into the compartment in the back. I didn't want to add the mast, but after repeated manta attacks I grew to love hassle-free travel again. It's a little on the large size for a personal craft but that just made it all the more fun to fly.

I traded it in for my first metal ship, the RAM POD:

I designed it to cruise quickly and brutally through a storm wall. I now know to keep valuable poo poo protected because the first thing the storm knocked out was the Atlas Core Generator that was stuck out the back completely unguarded. Zap, zonk, ship too heavy, immediately begins sinking into the mire. I decide to rodeo it out and try to launch my ragdoll through the atmos in order to hit the spawn point on the other side but by the time I tried, everything was too confused and I respawned back in T2. Back to nothing :v: Pretty excited about the prospect of making a cool new ship though.

If you're feeling adventurous you can find the Sky Car on an island in E3, it's a small one that has a lot of small hexagonal buildings on it. One of its wings is attached off-centre because I had to hastily mangle it while stripping it for parts, but I couldn't bare to fully put it to rest. Hopefully someone will come across it and make it useful again, even if it''s taken apart.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
How many people are on the West Coast(Best Coast) server?

Would not mind grouping up . We should be the enforcing skylaw here.

In other words the roving gangs of old players at high altitude dropping in and raping new players is getting old

Raged fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 28, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Honestly probably not worth playing for another patch or two.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is there just one tier one zone? or are there multiple? Same for 2-4

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Raged posted:

Is there just one tier one zone? or are there multiple? Same for 2-4

these are player-made so details might be inaccurate

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
oh dear lord how do you find out which one you are in?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I use the LEX map exclusively for US East. Look at the islands on the map and see which one is present in your zone - it's usually pretty obvious and you'll see the other islands on the map from the other side of windwalls too. It's kind of ingenious really - a map not made through datamining is a rare thing these days.

It looks like they might have added owned ship interaction timers in the game already, it took me a few seconds (With a timer) to investigate the storage of a boat I came across and control its helm. Not for any nefarious purpose, mind. Totally didn't set the helm to lower the boat and bailed off it. Ahem.

E: Sounds like this mechanic was already in the game but they're considering increasing the time it takes?

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 28, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I have this bad habit of slowly creeping in for a landing, and the moment I go an unfurl a sail, the ship lurches and swings around and smashes before I have time to lower the other sail. Putting the helm in reverse never seems to do a damned thing.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Fog Tripper posted:

I have this bad habit of slowly creeping in for a landing, and the moment I go an unfurl a sail, the ship lurches and swings around and smashes before I have time to lower the other sail. Putting the helm in reverse never seems to do a damned thing.

The throttle only works if you have engines attached.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Raged posted:

The throttle only works if you have engines attached.

So you are at the mercy of the wind then? How does one lower a sail without the other open sail causing you to abruptly spin?

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote

Fog Tripper posted:

So you are at the mercy of the wind then? How does one lower a sail without the other open sail causing you to abruptly spin?

Put them both in the center of the ship like a proper sail boat.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Bede posted:

Put them both in the center of the ship like a proper sail boat.

A proper sail boat would not be equipped with space engines. :)

What I would really like would be the option of putting the sails on the bottom of the ship so that one could "land" underneath islands.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the sails can go on the bottom of the boat

landing underneath islands would require a change in shipyard behavior

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New batch of keys are available!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound