Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm curious, what's the military's option of trump lately? do the people stationed in qatar absolutely hate him yet?

I couldn't speak for them all but they definitely do not appreciate things like instability and non-measured responses. Seeing such an undisciplined person at the top of the chain of command is probably freaking quite a few service members out though. But recent polls have shown that his approval rating has dropped among the military community while still maintaining a decent approval among veterans. Speaking of those veterans, the Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act of 2017 is a total photo-op for Trump. It's just a bill for easier management of employees at the VA and adding the ability to recoup bonuses for fired employees. It does nothing to solve the problems like staffing levels, funding, or even rural VA hospitals. He hasn't done poo poo for veterans since he entered office and hopefully other veterans start to see that.

And I doubt anyone stationed at Al-Udeid is really giving a poo poo. People there are either ground crew for the long range bombers, ground troops taking R&R, others being transferred to Rammstein, or the people running the Combined Air Operations Center. But there's not enough time to even give a poo poo about what's happening. You rarely even went off base at all unless your job called for it. It's six days a week, 12-16 hour shifts so you tend not to follow any of the news from back home. I'm sure the flight/squadron commanders have talked about increased tensions but are just blowing it off as more bureaucrats making GBS threads the bed about diplomatic courtesies.

Anyway, single payer needs to happen. Why should the military be the only ones with socialized healthcare? Of the roughly 1.5 million active duty soldiers and their dependents in 2012, only $52 billion of the DoD's budget was spent on healthcare. If you add that over 50% of those active duty were married, that's another 700k people on things like subsidized TRICARE. Then there are multiple other things like Selected Reserve units and their healthcare and then on and on and on. Holy poo poo, let's just pass single payer already.

e: I searched for blue dog and found this. Enjoy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Jeff Zucker is a loving pussy who fired Reza Aslan for speaking the truth on twitter and should gently caress off back to network television where he belongs.

NO. He's done enough damage to network TV already. Son of a bitch canceled "Community" because he's awful in all regards. He needs to be banished from media forever.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Privatization of American healthcare was a Pandora's Box of capitalist demons unleashed decades ago and we only accept this backwards state of affairs because the majority of us are relatively powerless nobodies who have only ever known this to be the normal way of doing things literally our entire lives. Entire generations of Americans have lived and died this way.

To achieve single-payer healthcare means purging these demons, which involves nationalizing healthcare and ultimately admitting that a government-run monopoly is more efficient at managing healthcare costs than the private sector (pretending as if privatized healthcare is in our best interests and not to, say, line the pockets of the racketeers and grifters who have us seized by the balls and know it); this is, of course, a thoroughly anti-American attitude and strikes at the heart of lies that compose modern Republican ideology.

This gives some context as to why single-payer is taken for granted in other countries but is so thoroughly and diametrically opposed by the moneyed elites and the many people who buy their ideology unquestioningly in this one.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 27, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

repeating posted:

Today in FAKE NEWS news:

3 CNN Journalists Resign After Retracted Story on Trump Ally

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/business/3-cnn-journalists-resign-after-retracted-story-on-trump-ally.html

The way this story is set up is very vague.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Majorian posted:

NO. He's done enough damage to network TV already. Son of a bitch canceled "Community" because he's awful in all regards. He needs to be banished from media forever.

He left NBC in 2010, after all of one season of Community aired. He got booted because he handled Jay Leno and his hissy-fit in literally the worst way possible. You're right about him needing a retirement though.

Also, looking at his wikipedia page there's a little blurb that was clearly just added about how Project Veritas (Should-be Felon James O'Keefe's thing) had a video of him saying that CNN talking about the Trump/Russia stuff was just for ratings, which, lol James O'Keefe.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

He left NBC in 2010, after all of one season of Community aired. He got booted because he handled Jay Leno and his hissy-fit in literally the worst way possible. You're right about him needing a retirement though.

Also, looking at his wikipedia page there's a little blurb that was clearly just added about how Project Veritas (Should-be Felon James O'Keefe's thing) had a video of him saying that CNN talking about the Trump/Russia stuff was just for ratings, which, lol James O'Keefe.

Oops, you're totally right - I mixed that up with the Conan/Leno thing, which was just as bad.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

DC Murderverse posted:

It's a CNN health producer saying that's what he said in a meeting. Yeah, it's James O'Keefe so whatever. Sounds bad at first but turns out to be a total lie is kind of his thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdP8TiKY8dE

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I agree with your overall point but you're basically saying "gently caress anyone with a 401k."

No he isn't. Most Americans do not have massive enough 401k investments that the gains of a fraction of a fraction of their index funds that comprises the health insurance component of the healthcare sector of the economy comes anywhere near the amount of wealth that the adminstrative overhead of their healthcare expenditures extracts from them over the course of a lifetime. Not even close.

Only large shareholders of those companies or a small number of ultrarich Americans with collosal investment portfolios actually benefit from the existence of these rent-seeking insurance companies.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Boycotting Starbucks isn't working out, it seems.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Feel gross thinking about it but I thought of a new way to see how evil these senators are. The kick backs they are likely to receive from this amounts is about a dollar per person kicked off insurance.

You are worth only a dollar to them.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Come on, now. You know that that's a ridiculous statement.

you are worth nothing to them

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

oohhboy posted:

Feel gross thinking about it but I thought of a new way to see how evil these senators are. The kick backs they are likely to receive from this amounts is about a dollar per person kicked off insurance.

You are worth only a dollar to them.

The fundamental rule of any corrupt political structure is to never give the rabble nothing to live for. Never force someone to abandon hope. If there's one good thing about this horrible bill passing, it's that some people who know they will die suddenly have nothing to lose taking reprisals on those who caused their strife. If people suddenly realize they have to make a choice between food and the mortgage and health care, people are going to be murdered. Here's hoping it's the ones responsible.

This MIGHT rouse people out of this lethal apathy everyone's in. If it doesn't, we might as well just hang everything up.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I can sort of see the plan for the California bill there: make single-payer without paying for it, then make the state have to raise taxes to deal with a generic budget deficit rather than tax hikes specifically linked to the health care bill. I still am not perticularly on board with a [funding tbd] reordering of medicine in a major state.

They've done multiple studies laying out the funding options. I'm not sure about the actual bill text or when it's customary to actually start cementing those recommendations into law. It doesn't seem like they were just hand waving the costs like you seem to be implying though.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The fundamental rule of any corrupt political structure is to never give the rabble nothing to live for. Never force someone to abandon hope. If there's one good thing about this horrible bill passing, it's that some people who know they will die suddenly have nothing to lose taking reprisals on those who caused their strife. If people suddenly realize they have to make a choice between food and the mortgage and health care, people are going to be murdered. Here's hoping it's the ones responsible.

This MIGHT rouse people out of this lethal apathy everyone's in. If it doesn't, we might as well just hang everything up.

The baseball shooting happened before anyone even had a solid idea of what was going to be in the Senate bill. If the Republicans continue trying to get this murder bill through, there is guaranteed to be more violence happening in retaliation. Especially if, god forbid, they actually pass something that's even close to as horrible as what the CBO scored yesterday.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Queering Wheel posted:

The baseball shooting happened before anyone even had a solid idea of what was going to be in the Senate bill. If the Republicans continue trying to get this murder bill through, there is guaranteed to be more violence happening in retaliation. Especially if, god forbid, they actually pass something that's even close to as horrible as what the CBO scored yesterday.

I think any violence that might come from this will only be after it passing, and even then only years from now when some poor guy from one of the worst hit states is forced to see his family die because of the cuts.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Crain posted:

I think any violence that might come from this will only be after it passing, and even then only years from now when some poor guy from one of the worst hit states is forced to see his family die because of the cuts.

Also perpetrated against a democratic politician for some reason since we're off in hypothetical land.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/879652300905562113

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

#AmericanPravda is now #3 trending on Twitter.

gently caress everything.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Okay someone tell me why this is the dumbest thing he's done to date.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Josh Lyman posted:

#AmericanPravda is now #3 trending on Twitter.

gently caress everything.

As an unwashed non Twitter user aside from things people post embedded in this thread, I'm going to need context to know why this means gently caress everything.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChrisCrocker/status/879662683762683905

:cry: :cry: Leave Donald alone :cry: :cry:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

There Bias Two posted:

Trump retweeted that statement rather than make his own tweet

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quorum posted:

As an unwashed non Twitter user aside from things people post embedded in this thread, I'm going to need context to know why this means gently caress everything.

James o'keefe has a random CNN producer saying they don't have a smoking gun yet.

That's the hashtag to talk about it.

Weird that it has become a top trending hashtag :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quorum posted:

Pravda was the official newspaper of the Soviet Union.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FizFashizzle posted:

James o'keefe has a random CNN producer saying they don't have a smoking gun yet.

It's almost as if bots.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

Bots if you need a clearer picture. Twitter bots.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Josh Lyman posted:

Pravda was the official newspaper of the Soviet Union.

AKA a literal, blatant propaganda arm of the government.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

This isn't Pravda no matter how you edit it. His complaints are the standard, "We are a business we chase ratings," cable news critiques.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 27, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

There Bias Two posted:

It's not incredibly stupid but it's dumb as hell that he forgot to actually nominate the guy until newspaper articles came out yesterday and the day before asking why the guy hadn't been officially nominated yet when the nomination was announced weeks ago.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Trump just retweeted someone selling a book so we may finally get a legal answer on whether or not retweets are endorsements.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

FuturePastNow posted:

Look at your paystub. It's got a number on it for Med Tax Withheld. That number is the premium for Medicare, health insurance for old people. Now imagine if you could get that insurance now, by paying a bit more in Medicare tax, but that's cheaper overall since it would replace other, more expensive health insurances.

That's how I'd sell it, at least.
Honestly this is a pretty good way to sell it. Instead of trying to pitch "universal healthcare" which apparently comes across as "communist scum", expanding "Medicare for all" sounds much more platable.

"You're already paying for Medicare but not getting any benefits from it. Wouldn't it be nice if it covered you too, and not just old people? Plus, it would be cheaper than the health care you're paying for out of pocket now!"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/879648656797859840

Sounds about right.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Phoix posted:

Trump just retweeted someone selling a book so we may finally get a legal answer on whether or not retweets are endorsements.

He's not saying he's going to read it, just that he has a copy.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Ague Proof posted:

He's not saying he's going to read it, just that he has a copy.

He's in good company.
'Art of the Deal', 'Mein Kampf' and now 'The Swamp'.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NoDamage posted:

Honestly this is a pretty good way to sell it. Instead of trying to pitch "universal healthcare" which apparently comes across as "communist scum", expanding "Medicare for all" sounds much more platable.

"You're already paying for Medicare but not getting any benefits from it. Wouldn't it be nice if it covered you too, and not just old people? Plus, it would be cheaper than the health care you're paying for out of pocket now!"

The problem is that you then have to explain why Medicare is important to a bunch of people who just know and angrily care that it takes money out of their paychecks, and that's where the GOP shines with its ~personal accountability~ bullshit.

The GOP is like those J.G. Wentworth ads that get/got played during daytime and late night TV..."It's my money, and I want it NOW!"...

...whereas the Democrats feel the need to make the mistake of trying to *explain things*, assuming people can be distracted away from Facebook. They don't want to know how it works, just that it does, and I think even the people who are willfully ignorant or trollish believe that health care in this country can be hosed up, as we're all used to that now, but it can never be hosed away, hence the scores of "I hate Obamacare, but the ACA is my poo poo" people. They refuse to entertain the notion that "their team" will ever leave them behind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That didn't help when that guy shot up softball practice two weeks ago.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/879683495139790849

"FAKE NEWS!!!"

"Mr. President, that's a birdbath."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So it doesnt look like we will see a vote this week on the bill which is a good thing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So what was this CNN story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phoix posted:

This is an official statement by the White House according to the White House. Does that press secretary bot cover retweets?

• Locked thread