Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Bamabalacha posted:

Driving in Southern Ontario appears to be one of the worst things on the planet.

I'm tempted to agree but when the truck flipped over this morning I found myself
grateful that the road was closed off, instead of just allowing people to loot it and then blow it up accidentally, killing hundreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Another driving peeve: when a car pulls out in the road right in front of you, when there's no one behind you (and the road is straight, so that driver could plainly see if they just waited a literal 2 seconds for you to pass by, they could forgo the chance to be an rear end in a top hat for no reason, but noooooo).

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Another driving peeve: when a car pulls out in the road right in front of you, when there's no one behind you (and the road is straight, so that driver could plainly see if they just waited a literal 2 seconds for you to pass by, they could forgo the chance to be an rear end in a top hat for no reason, but noooooo).

Related: when the rear end in a top hat floors it in order to get out on the road ahead of you but then takes his foot off the gas instead of quickly getting up to speed, forcing you to hit your brakes in order to not rear-end them.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Whiz Palace posted:

shoves you with racism

I'm homeless, I'm gay, I have AIDS, and I'm new in town.

Really? You're going to end with "new in town"? You could have saved time by saying "I'm new in town and it gets worse."

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Rabbit Hill posted:

I have the exact opposite peeve, when you're waiting to turn and the only other person on the road (going straight) for half a mile is going 100, slams on their breaks to let you through, an then flips you off and starts screaming for not peeling out fast enough. Just keep going buddy, you didn't have a stop sign and I'm just chilling.

ReverendDre has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Jun 26, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When someone over takes you a hundred metres from a junction they're going to have to wait at anyway

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
When someone goes to a drive through and orders 16 bags of food, I wants want my god drat milkshake!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Coolspaz posted:

When someone goes to a drive through and orders 16 bags of food, I wants want my god drat milkshake!!

This anywhere. My gym has an attachment that's a kids play area, like trampoline room and laser tag and poo poo. Now that it's summer, every time someone comes with 3+ little shits you end up with a 3+ gym goers waiting forever while the kids get checked in and all just so we can spend two seconds getting our key fobs swiped by the desk clerk.

See also: getting stock behind lotto addicts at the convenience store. Watching someone buy a cartload of poo poo for a party while you're waiting in line to buy one bottle of booze.

Also, people in my neighborhood, for god's sake stop letting your dog out in the front lawn without a leash. There's so many strays and missing dog signs in this town, god I wonder why?

"oh but my sweet boy is good he won't-" *idiot dog takes off down the street to chase a responsible leash-using dog owner walking theirs, is struck by a car, dies*

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jun 26, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I started driver's ed today and my peeve about it is teenagers, I guess? not only in general, but because the fact that the instructor has to cater towards irresponsible children that are trusted to be behind the wheel. which means the classes are not very informative or good, the tests are open book but also you can just ask your friends for answers, you're allowed to eat in the class, etc. and it's fuckin annoying

there's like 35 people in the class and besides me and my brother, I think there's one other person over 18. uuugghhh

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People pulling out in front of you without indicating is pretty aggravating.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Worse, someone who indicates only as they begin to pull out of a junction.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wheat Loaf posted:

Same but applied to my sex life

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This anywhere. My gym has an attachment that's a kids play area, like trampoline room and laser tag and poo poo. Now that it's summer, every time someone comes with 3+ little shits you end up with a 3+ gym goers waiting forever while the kids get checked in and all just so we can spend two seconds getting our key fobs swiped by the desk clerk.

See also: getting stock behind lotto addicts at the convenience store. Watching someone buy a cartload of poo poo for a party while you're waiting in line to buy one bottle of booze.

I've always said that businesses should have two queues: one for people that know what the gently caress their doing, have a simple transaction and will be done quickly and one for people that have apparently just landed on Earth from an alien world and have no idea how the gently caress anything works.

Whenever I go to the post office / bank / etc to do some incredibly simple thing like mail a letter, deposit some money, whatever, I feel like the ten people in line in front of me all need to do fifteen individual and incredibly complicated things while only having the barest grasp on how to do any of them. It drives me loving insane! Let me do my thirty second transaction then get back to whatever the gently caress you're doing that is occupying one teller for 45 minutes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The problem with that is that nobody would willingly go into the idiot line unless it was noticeably shorter. Every idiot thinks they are an expert in the thing they are bad at.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

cyberia posted:

I've always said that businesses should have two queues: one for people that know what the gently caress their doing, have a simple transaction and will be done quickly and one for people that have apparently just landed on Earth from an alien world and have no idea how the gently caress anything works.

Whenever I go to the post office / bank / etc to do some incredibly simple thing like mail a letter, deposit some money, whatever, I feel like the ten people in line in front of me all need to do fifteen individual and incredibly complicated things while only having the barest grasp on how to do any of them. It drives me loving insane! Let me do my thirty second transaction then get back to whatever the gently caress you're doing that is occupying one teller for 45 minutes.

Peeve: People rolling an overflowing cart up to the 12-items-or-less lane because they're the only loving person on the planet. And the clerks letting them.

I'm only annoyed at the clerks for a hot second; their job is to stand in 2 square feet of space for hours while people verbally abuse them and they aren't paid nearly enough to care about whether some entitled prick can't read a sign. Just once I want to see one of them just immediately call security when someone rolls up with 13/12.

If I owned a grocery store I would put up signs in the express lanes that said, "12 items or less. No warning shots will be fired."

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
:downs: asks for advice
:eng101: (me) gives knowledgeable, thorough, helpful advice to them
:downs: doesn't listen to advice, some time later continues complaininge

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Peeve: People rolling an overflowing cart up to the 12-items-or-less lane because they're the only loving person on the planet. And the clerks letting them.

I'm only annoyed at the clerks for a hot second; their job is to stand in 2 square feet of space for hours while people verbally abuse them and they aren't paid nearly enough to care about whether some entitled prick can't read a sign. Just once I want to see one of them just immediately call security when someone rolls up with 13/12.

If I owned a grocery store I would put up signs in the express lanes that said, "12 items or less. No warning shots will be fired."

This always bothers me because of the stupid excuses people come up with when they are confronted about it. It's always like "I thought it meant 12 different items or less - see, I have 40 items but they are just multiples of the same 12 things so I'm fine" etc. Or they turn on you and say "you have a dozen eggs there, guess you can't come through unless those are the only thing you are buying".

Anyway, another thing that has been bugging me today is people who just need to dispense trivial tidbits of knowledge unprompted. Like if someone says "I had a lot of coffee this morning so I'm feeling pretty jittery now, want to get another?" someone uninvolved with the conversation butts in with "oh, that just means you have hyperglycemia, your blood sugar is crashing". It's just small talk, they weren't asking for a diagnosis. I like it when people share knowledge about something they're passionate about, but at least do it in an interesting way instead of just dropping facts at random in monotone like you're some kind of walking encyclopedia.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Che Delilas posted:

I feel like you should have to prove you have an IQ above room temperature before you are allowed to use the self checkout.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
People here seem to self select pretty well for whether or not they think they can use the self checkouts.

And then there's my ex-grocery rear end who grabs an orange without a sticker, thinks "gently caress it I know the code for this" and punches in "watermelon" and needs to ask the attendant for help

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Rabbit Hill posted:

...and then proceed to go fifteen miles under the speed limit :suicide:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Travel agents. My job just switched to a system where we have to book all work travel through one and it's awful so far. No choice whatsoever aside from the dates, and they always end up booking me on a flight that costs more (sometimes hundreds more) than the flight I normally would have booked with. The only benefit is that I don't have to wait for reimbursement, but dealing with an agent and all the back and forth emails the process requires makes that hard to appreciate.

With services like kayak etc readily available and incredibly easy to use I don't know why anyone even needs a travel agent anymore. They seem to only exist to find you mediocre expensive options so their cut is bigger instead of getting you the best deals. Every function they may have once had seems like it should be obsolete because of the internet.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

see also:

real estate agents, letting agencies

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

well why not posted:

see also:

real estate agents, letting agencies

I can at least understand those agencies to an extent, since it can be a much more complicated process than just buying a plane ticket and booking a hotel or two, particularly if you don't speak the language at the place you are moving to. I had to use one when I first moved to Switzerland, and while the price wasn't cheap (2 months rent or something which was like 3000+ dollars) it would have taken me forever to find a good place on my own considering I wouldn't be able to talk to most of the people posting ads.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My company's regular employees have to use a buggy travel agent site that looks like Expedia went back in a time machine to 1997. You're allowed to have preferences on airline and hotel chain (no promises!), but if you want a specific routing that costs a few dollars more then you have to get your manager's approval. Yeah, I get that the three-segment route with the 9-hour layover in Newark is the cheapest, but surely you'd rather pay twelve dollars more - no exaggeration - for me to take the direct polar route and arrive almost a full day sooner.

As a contract employee, I am allowed to book whatever I want and get reimbursed, reaping the credit card points all the while. :homebrew:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

walrusman posted:

As a contract employee, I am allowed to book whatever I want and get reimbursed, reaping the credit card points all the while. :homebrew:

This is definitely the superior way, although it can still suck if they take more than 1-2 months to process the reimbursement.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This always bothers me because of the stupid excuses people come up with when they are confronted about it. It's always like "I thought it meant 12 different items or less - see, I have 40 items but they are just multiples of the same 12 things so I'm fine" etc. Or they turn on you and say "you have a dozen eggs there, guess you can't come through unless those are the only thing you are buying".

"Oh, I guess each apple counts as an item then?" :jerkbag: bitch I can SEE your cart from here, you clearly have 25+ different items in there, don't try that poo poo with me. It's just as bad when they have a cart full of giant poo poo like gallons of milk, packs of toilet paper, etc. that obviously aren't gonna fit on the express lane's 1 square foot of counter space, but technically have less than 10 items so here they come.

I love when people who clearly have too many items start coming over, notice the sign, and spend forever agonizing about whether they want to try it or not. They look at the sign, down at their cart, at me, back at their cart... they make a big show of counting their items, look at me, say "I MIGHT have a few over.....", look back at their cart. Meanwhile they're blocking traffic, and half the time there's a normal loving register 3 feet away that they could have just gone to and been done by now.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
People who will not shut up in a doctor's office waiting room. If you're not talking to the doctor or a receptionist, shut your face. The rest of us figured it out and are quietly hanging out, what's your issue?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Where I live, people's excuse for this is "well if I let them know I want to come over, they won't let me in!" which is complete bullshit if you're even slightly aware of the people around you on the freeway. You angle your car at the lane before you turn your signal on. We can tell you want over before you hit the little lever, and it's no harder to speed up and close the gap then rather than wait for your turn signal. People are just terrible at driving.

Yesterday, on my crowded street, someone was pulling out of a driveway, waiting patiently for me to pass them. They waited a good thirty seconds as I made my way down the block, then pulled out right as I got within ten feet of them.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

People who will not shut up in a doctor's office waiting room. If you're not talking to the doctor or a receptionist, shut your face. The rest of us figured it out and are quietly hanging out, what's your issue?

Oh dear God, my mother was the worst at this. One time I sat with her and another friend of hers in a waiting room before a surgery at 6 in the morning, and she and her friend had a very loud conversation denouncing Zionism. I asked her several times to keep it down or change the subject, because the people sitting near us were giving her dirty looks and someone even moved across the room to another chair, but she kept on going anyway. Mortifying!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Where I live, people's excuse for this is "well if I let them know I want to come over, they won't let me in!" which is complete bullshit if you're even slightly aware of the people around you on the freeway. You angle your car at the lane before you turn your signal on. We can tell you want over before you hit the little lever, and it's no harder to speed up and close the gap then rather than wait for your turn signal. People are just terrible at driving.

My mother has a somewhat opposite problem. I've been in the car with her when she's driving and whenever she wants to merge into another lane she'll start wonder aloud, "I need to get into that lane. Will somebody let me into that lane? Why isn't anyone letting me into that lane?" while becoming increasingly angry... when she hasn't even switched her indicator on.

How on Earth are people supposed to know you want them to let you into the next lane if you aren't going to indicate?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Where I live, people's excuse for this is "well if I let them know I want to come over, they won't let me in!" which is complete bullshit if you're even slightly aware of the people around you on the freeway.

Because that is what they would do if someone wanted to merge infront of them. "how dare they cut into the line and make me feel less inportant!"

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My mother has a somewhat opposite problem. I've been in the car with her when she's driving and whenever she wants to merge into another lane she'll start wonder aloud, "I need to get into that lane. Will somebody let me into that lane? Why isn't anyone letting me into that lane?" while becoming increasingly angry... when she hasn't even switched her indicator on.

How on Earth are people supposed to know you want them to let you into the next lane if you aren't going to indicate?

Gotta also love being in the car with someone who swears they are a good driver, only to either be a massive dick or make your rear end fuse with the seat from fear, yea I have no idea why you keep getting speeding fines and people keep honking at you. :psyduck:

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
What drives me insane is when someone is ahead of you going 20 KM/H (:canada:) under the limit and as you move lanes to pass them they speed up so you can't do so, then as you go back behind them, they slow down again, so the next time I speed up to whiz past them, and 20 seconds later they are beyond my mirror to see them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really hate driving the 401 because the speed limits are so ludicrously low that everyone is speeding, always, by 20+ over. You're basically at the mercy of the cops at that point, not that they're usually dicks but well, cops.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really hate driving the 401 because the speed limits are so ludicrously low that everyone is speeding, always, by 20+ over. You're basically at the mercy of the cops at that point, not that they're usually dicks but well, cops.

Pretty much every highway in southern Ontario is like that. I can't think of a time I've gone less than 120 without traffic, though any time between 7:00 am and 9:00 pm there's always too much traffic (another pet peeve)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
People who try to talk to me at lunch.

It's one thing if we went to lunch together, but here I am at my desk with my food in front of me, and no less than 3 people tried to ask me about work things. Leave me alone, can't you see I'm trying to shovel last night's leftovers into my gaping maw? WE all have lunch at the same time, it shouldn't be that hard

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

our driver's ed class today was discussing not being a piece of poo poo driver and making sure you pay attention to everyone on the road

when we left, I was walking home behind two teenagers from the class and they just walked out in the crosswalk when we didn't have the signal and made some turning cars have to stop in the intersection and block the people who actually had the light

as soon as they finished crossing, the crosswalk signal changed to walk

:psyduck: ????????????????????? *screaming*

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't like that every xfinity wifi hotspot brings down a banner ad reminding you of it. I get it, it's free because it's a glorified ad, but a) I have an xfinity account and b) the banner ad suffers from Overly Tiny Close Button Syndrome, so half the time my attempts to close the drat ad loads some xfinity app from the Google app store.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
People who spend forever changing graphics settings in video games or spend an hour in the character creator when they are streaming or trying to show you a game, god dam your not going to notice the size of the nose when your playing or slightly less sharp shadows, your doing a piss poor job at selling me on this game. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tarantula posted:

People who spend forever changing graphics settings in video games or spend an hour in the character creator when they are streaming or trying to show you a game, god dam your not going to notice the size of the nose when your playing or slightly less sharp shadows, your doing a piss poor job at selling me on this game. :argh:

it's even worse on recorded videos, IMO. you can edit all that poo poo out! No one gives a good goddamn gently caress about the loving sliders, just edit that part out and play the game