Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it is extremely good and everyone with a passing interest in horror should buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neurosis posted:

it is extremely good and everyone with a passing interest in horror should buy it.

If you told me World's of Hurt got marked up to 40 bucks for digital I'd still tell people to buy it. The last couple chapters of the title story are just so fuckin good

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just bought that and "The Cipher". Now I just have to buy a dang Kindle.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Drunken Baker posted:

Just bought that and "The Cipher". Now I just have to buy a dang Kindle.

If you have a smartphone with iOS or Android you can download the Kindle app for free.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Pththya-lyi posted:

If you have a smartphone with iOS or Android you can download the Kindle app for free.

I was thinking of that, but wouldn't it just gently caress my eyes up? Or is it alright?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Drunken Baker posted:

I was thinking of that, but wouldn't it just gently caress my eyes up? Or is it alright?

In my experience, it's fine, but then again I use my smartphone all day everyday and rarely notice eye strain. You can change the screen colors (black on white, white on black, or black on tan) and font size/style too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Drunken Baker posted:

It works pretty good, especially with the white-on-black setting. But a kindle or tablet is a lot better size and easier on the eyes - I've not used one of the backlit ones though, so I can't say if they are as comfortable.

My biggest complaint with the kindle app on a phone is that it fucks up my neck because I don't have the same posture as I do with a paperback-sized device.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

It works pretty good, especially with the white-on-black setting. But a kindle or tablet is a lot better size and easier on the eyes - I've not used one of the backlit ones though, so I can't say if they are as comfortable.

My biggest complaint with the kindle app on a phone is that it fucks up my neck because I don't have the same posture as I do with a paperback-sized device.

backlit kindle fuckin rules

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Worlds of Hurt over the past couple of nights.

Supremely my poo poo!!! What a wonderful little mythos wrapped up in great writing. I could read about the Misbegotten for years. Are Hodge's other works recommended as well?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i see nick cutter has a new book out - 'little heaven'. though somewhat variable in quality, i haven't read a bad book by him yet. any impressions?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Just finished Worlds of Hurt over the past couple of nights.

Supremely my poo poo!!! What a wonderful little mythos wrapped up in great writing. I could read about the Misbegotten for years. Are Hodge's other works recommended as well?

his short stories and novellae, emphatically yes - 'for whom the gods would destroy' and 'without pity, without purpose' are good places to start. he's really, really good at Lovecraftian horror, and everything he's written in that vein has knocked my socks off.

his novels are good, too, but they vary a lot in subject matter and style, and the quality is more variegated. 'prototype', for example, takes a vaguely horror/sci-fi idea (basically, what if that myth that having xyy made you an aggressive murderer was real), but doesn't tell a story in those genres, and is really about the grinding abject misery of intractable mental problems.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Black on sepia seems to be pretty good for mobile devices. Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

Seems like all of Hodge's work are more readily available via Kindle too. I'll be picking them up as well.

Christ almighty. Just started Worlds of Hurt. What the heck am I reading? :psyduck:

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 29, 2017

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Drunken Baker posted:

Christ almighty. Just started Worlds of Hurt. What the heck am I reading? :psyduck:

Yeah, I tried Kindle's free sample of it. Starts with graphic descriptions of children's balls being cut off and fed to dogs, continues with anal rape. Uh..

Are the other stories in it better, or is all of it just shock value shlock like this?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dropbear posted:

Yeah, I tried Kindle's free sample of it. Starts with graphic descriptions of children's balls being cut off and fed to dogs, continues with anal rape. Uh..

Are the other stories in it better, or is all of it just shock value shlock like this?

It's...not shlock: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

I mean, I can understand if the subject matter turns you off, that's fine, but if you're calling Brian Hodge schlock, then the word loses any useful meaning because, at least within the horror community, he's about as far from shlock as you can get.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

at least within the horror community, he's about as far from shlock as you can get.
I wouldn't go that far.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Skyscraper posted:

I wouldn't go that far.

I'm not saying he's without peer as much as I'm saying that he and other writers of his ilk are not writing shlock.

Though in the interest of full disclosure, he has done some tie-in work that I haven't read, and that very well may be shlocky as hell. His original work, though, is just not shlock. Hell, even the end-of-the-world novel he wrote in the '80s (which was apparently a requirement if you were a horror author during that time period), avoids the schlocky stuff you see in The Stand or Swan Song.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm not saying he's without peer as much as I'm saying that he and other writers of his ilk are not writing shlock.

Though in the interest of full disclosure, he has done some tie-in work that I haven't read, and that very well may be shlocky as hell. His original work, though, is just not shlock. Hell, even the end-of-the-world novel he wrote in the '80s (which was apparently a requirement if you were a horror author during that time period), avoids the schlocky stuff you see in The Stand or Swan Song.

Yeah, I thought I was saying something there, but after looking it up, schlock just means that something is lacking in quality, that it's crap. It's a term of art criticism about as useful as "I didn't like this" apparently.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dropbear posted:

Just keep reading. It continues to be shocking at times but your perception of how the world works will evolve.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Dropbear posted:

it is none of it good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it is none of it good

Get the gently caress out

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just keep reading. It continues to be shocking at times but your perception of how the world works will evolve.

One of my favorite aspects of the whole series is how revelations in later stories will make you think back on things from the earlier tales and wonder how poo poo will play out.

As an example, at the end of the first story, the castrato renders his Misbegotten master deaf, thereby removing the master's ability to feed and ultimately sentencing him to death. The next time you see the two in either the second or third story, the Misbegotten has aged significantly but it is stated that he's quite happy. However, the title story of the collection reveals that the entity playing god really, really does not like it when the Misbegotten try to kill themselves and (further) punishes them in new and horrifying ways. So... What's going to happen to the Misbegotten from the first story when he dies? Will some level of mercy be shown since it was a human that was the cause of his death? Probably not, but it's certainly an interesting question.

Sorry for not remembering names, it's been a while since I read the stories.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Even if there's nothing in particular planned for him being dead in this cosmos leads to hell, so it's surprising he could be happy

Also the first story has the most graphic sensational stuff. It's there in the others but it's not quite as in focus.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

the fact that the practice of creating castratos existed irl does not change the fact that lascivious depictions of kids' balls getting off and fed to dogs is garbage writing for morons

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the fact that the practice of creating castratos existed irl does not change the fact that lascivious depictions of kids' balls getting off and fed to dogs is garbage writing for morons

🤔

The dumbest of takes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
because something made you uncomfortable doesn't make it "garbage writing for morons" my dude. fact that you describe it as "lascivious" says more about you than the text.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I don't think I'd describe ANYTHING that happened in the books as lascivious.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's definitely not schlock. I was shocked by it because I had no idea what I was expecting, but castration and angel buggery were far from it. I guess it's all about the tone and implication. Compare it to something like the castration scene in "Outlast"* Now THAT was schlock for the sake of it. It brought nothing to the table really bar the gross shock factor. In this the act of the lad losing his plums was a major plot point and... I'm imagining someone else writing it. It could so easily be a short in a Splatterpunk story where there's 3 laboriously, gruesomely depicted pages devoted to the act. But there's not. It happens, it's shocking and catches you off guard... But then it's just a detail in the grander scheme of things.

And not a major point, but I'm sure they weren't actually fed to dogs. He just imagines that's what happened to them.

Onto the Irish lad who sees angels now. Was expecting weird, slimy cosmic horror to be honest, but I'm enraptured now.

*I know it's not fair to compare books to video games, but off the top of my head that's the trashiest example I can think of. The only other one I can think of is Rawhead Rex where Rex rips a dude's bits off.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished a book someone plugged here a long, long time ago, Your Poisoned Dreams by Michael Minnis. Can recommend - maybe not so much for the horror, but it's oldschool, (mostly) classy Lovecraftiana interspersed with black humor and one outright parody story (which I suspect I enjoyed the most out of the bunch). An enjoyable read all in all.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

anilEhilated posted:

Your Poisoned Dreams by Michael Minnis.

Added to Kindle buy list. This new obsession is going to bankrupt me.

In the second "Worlds of Hurt" story a crucified Christ pulls himself from the cross he's nailed to above the altar of a church and stalks the narrator to his hiding space in the confessional booth/

Is that from something? Or has it happened in a film or TV show? When it happened I got the most vivid flashes of remembrance.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Remember when every goon was into that "splatterpunk" poo poo lol

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Buca di Bepis posted:

Remember when every goon was into that "splatterpunk" poo poo lol

I suppose I might have just missed this phase but splatterpunk hasn't really been a thing since the early 90s, so did that really happen?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Just finished a book someone plugged here a long, long time ago, Your Poisoned Dreams by Michael Minnis. Can recommend - maybe not so much for the horror, but it's oldschool, (mostly) classy Lovecraftiana interspersed with black humor and one outright parody story (which I suspect I enjoyed the most out of the bunch). An enjoyable read all in all.

:toot: :neckbeard:

Glad more people are picking Michael Minnis up.

I also have saved pdfs of his free online stories here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t6792v35951vg/Mike_Minnis_Wayback_Machine_Archive

I Walk the World's Black Rim is a Beowulf retelling. Knuckerhole a story of England during the blitz and good neighbors. After all, the Whateley came from somewhere. Bones of a Toad brings the harshness of Medieval life to the center stage.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I suppose I might have just missed this phase but splatterpunk hasn't really been a thing since the early 90s, so did that really happen?

It's making a comeback. Brian Keene and Wrath James White recently announced they're starting a splatterpunk award. It generally gets called extreme horror nowadays.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Drunken Baker posted:

Added to Kindle buy list. This new obsession is going to bankrupt me.

In the second "Worlds of Hurt" story a crucified Christ pulls himself from the cross he's nailed to above the altar of a church and stalks the narrator to his hiding space in the confessional booth/

Is that from something? Or has it happened in a film or TV show? When it happened I got the most vivid flashes of remembrance.

End of Evangelion? (oh god trap sprung) (anime-isms aside very good horror though)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Neurosis posted:

Even if there's nothing in particular planned for him being dead in this cosmos leads to hell, so it's surprising he could be happy

Also the first story has the most graphic sensational stuff. It's there in the others but it's not quite as in focus.

Excuse me, we know for a fact that people get to go to heaven and sing God's praises for all eternity. :colbert:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

General Battuta posted:

End of Evangelion? (oh god trap sprung) (anime-isms aside very good horror though)

Never watched that, but maybe someone showed me a clip online once?

Would the general horror thread be a better place to ask about Splatterpunk?(edit: I could have swore there was a general horror thread.) I only know the Books of Blood come under that moniker and I tried getting a few collections via the kindle and it was... Not what I was expecting. Some dude with a cakewhisk for a knob and people drinking alien blood and punching each others heads off. Maybe my expectations of what Splatterpunk/Extreme Horror should be is a bit off.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 3, 2017

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Drunken Baker posted:

Never watched that, but maybe someone showed me a clip online once?

Would the general horror thread be a better place to ask about Splatterpunk?(edit: I could have swore there was a general horror thread.) I only know the Books of Blood come under that moniker and I tried getting a few collections via the kindle and it was... Not what I was expecting. Some dude with a cakewhisk for a knob and people drinking alien blood and punching each others heads off. Maybe my expectations of what Splatterpunk/Extreme Horror should be is a bit off.

Clive Barker is on the more acceptable side of Splatterpunk which is why you've heard of him.

Jack Ketchum and Richard Laymon are the authors you want to go to for the real sick stuff. I haven't read them because their plot descriptions put me off, but they're out there if you want them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jack Ketchum fuckin rules, Peaceable Kingdom is a bunch of short stories and probably the best thing of his that I've read, and I've read a lot. If you've ever heard of The Box, it's in that collection.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My mum's bookshelf is crammed full of Laymon books. Picked up The Box too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fez_machine posted:

Clive Barker is on the more acceptable side of Splatterpunk which is why you've heard of him.

Jack Ketchum and Richard Laymon are the authors you want to go to for the real sick stuff. I haven't read them because their plot descriptions put me off, but they're out there if you want them.

The quintessential splatterpunk book is The Light at the End by John Skipp and Craig Spector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Jedit posted:

The quintessential splatterpunk book is The Light at the End by John Skipp and Craig Spector.

Hahaha if there's meant to be a twist in the book the first Amazon review spoils it full throttle. Book sounds great though, just ordered the hardcover for 3 grand... No, wait. a used paperback for a pound. Sounds like great fun!

Halfway through "Worlds of Hurt" and it's still reading like a modern, dark fantasy more than anything too weird or "cosmic" still enjoying it, mind. Also just got done with Brian Keene's "The Complex" which had some hints at weird, interdimensional shenanigans but was ultimately just a "Crossed" novel. Still alright if you're a fan of blood and guts and naked people.