Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dr. Capco posted:

I finished my first of 5 private 1 on 1 lessons today. I hadn't taken a lesson since I was maybe 15 or so, I always thought my swing was decent but never like I was really swinging to my max ability. I hit about fifteen full swing 7 iron shots that all had my typical fade and most were honestly quite bad. After the first five minutes my instructor was able to identify 4 things that I've always known were issues keeping my swing from being easy and powerful but wasn't able to articulate to myself to fix. We went and worked on some balance + hand drills which helped me with hips and using my wrists better, which apparently made me stiff as a board on most parts of my swing and robbed me of striking ability and clubspeed.

The last 20 minutes I went back on the range with my same 7 iron and took another 25ish shots. I was only taking about a half swing on the takeaway but I was generating huge amounts of effortless club speed and the ball was going straight as an arrow 35 to 40 yards farther than I've ever hit a 7 iron in my life. I was out there crushing a 7 iron 150 to 160 yards down the pipe when 45 minutes prior I was swinging harder for less distance and more fade. I was utterly dumbfounded and it felt like I was like I was Doctor Strange getting my powers unleashed by the ancient one for the first time.

Can't wait to get out and play my tee time tomorrow.*

*And suck

Shorter backswings would benefit probably 90% of amateur golfers IMO. Much more consistency and usually no loss of distance due to better contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dr. Capco posted:

I finished my first of 5 private 1 on 1 lessons today. I hadn't taken a lesson since I was maybe 15 or so, I always thought my swing was decent but never like I was really swinging to my max ability. I hit about fifteen full swing 7 iron shots that all had my typical fade and most were honestly quite bad. After the first five minutes my instructor was able to identify 4 things that I've always known were issues keeping my swing from being easy and powerful but wasn't able to articulate to myself to fix. We went and worked on some balance + hand drills which helped me with hips and using my wrists better, which apparently made me stiff as a board on most parts of my swing and robbed me of striking ability and clubspeed.

The last 20 minutes I went back on the range with my same 7 iron and took another 25ish shots. I was only taking about a half swing on the takeaway but I was generating huge amounts of effortless club speed and the ball was going straight as an arrow 35 to 40 yards farther than I've ever hit a 7 iron in my life. I was out there crushing a 7 iron 150 to 160 yards down the pipe when 45 minutes prior I was swinging harder for less distance and more fade. I was utterly dumbfounded and it felt like I was like I was Doctor Strange getting my powers unleashed by the ancient one for the first time.

Can't wait to get out and play my tee time tomorrow.*

*And suck

Swinging hard almost never works, it's one of those fun things about golf. When you swing hard you tense up and that's never a good thing.

Even PGA Tour pros rarely hit a shot at 100% effort. In fairness to them, their mechanics are so good that they can go for that extra 10% if they really need to but those guys are so much more about controlling the shots they're hitting.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Shrapnig posted:

Swinging hard almost never works, it's one of those fun things about golf. When you swing hard you tense up and that's never a good thing.

Even PGA Tour pros rarely hit a shot at 100% effort. In fairness to them, their mechanics are so good that they can go for that extra 10% if they really need to but those guys are so much more about controlling the shots they're hitting.

Which we all should be doing, really. I'm trying to make more of an effort to worry less about hitting as far as I can and try to leave myself a second shot that plays to my strengths.

Still can't play worth a drat outside 100 yards. :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, as a complete Titleist whore, the TP5X is the one ball I have zero qualms about switching to from a Pro V1x.

They are pretty good balls! The course I played was really tight and technical and with the low evening lighting though I limited myself to only potentially losing one. I really loved hitting them with my irons in particular, but they also seemed to pop off the driver nice, and didn't overly jump off my putter so I had nice control.

I did eventually lose it to the water gods. I found a Bridgestone while hunting for it, but wound up losing it in a tree (?). Just never came down. Wound up finishing the round with an old neon yellow Titleist DT because 1) it was old didn't care if the water took it and 2) I could easily see it amidst the low light and all the white cottonwood fluff. But it flew straight and was hard to miss.

Wildlife seen on this round: a deer walked a fairway with us and took what looked like a very satisfying piss on the fringe of the green. Saw a flock of 40 odd American pelicans in the river and flying overhead. A bald eagle made an appearance. And on the final hole we had to hit into a flock of about 30 Canada geese with lots of ugly duckling young. Very odd. Goose poo poo loves golf cleats too ugh.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Still rolling my MG C4's, but I think I may have a problem now.

Started on their gloves(awesome), then moved on to their balls(awesome), picked up their $100 rangefinder(awesome), now I have one of their $80 cart bags and it too is awesome.

Just call me the off brand whore.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

So Speith had a nice shot today

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Bilirubin posted:

So Speith had a nice shot today

JT called it on Twitter too

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I broke 90 again this weekend. 2nd time in 10 days and the third time in my life. I credit the work I've put in to stop slicing the tee shot and a lot of work on my pitching game. Still had 37 putts, which I guess proves you don't need to be a good putter if you can keep the ball in play.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

One of my leagues had its mid-season scramble tournament today and I eagled a par four in front of a bunch of people which was cool. Great drive followed by a 66 yard lob wedge that landed just left of the pin and spun in. My club championship is next weekend and I feel pretty good about it. Last year I shot an 82 and 83 which was disappointing, I am hoping to be in the low/mid 70s both rounds this year.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

EnsGDT posted:

JT called it on Twitter too

BRB calling the PGA to charge a stroke penalty for grounding his club in a sand hazard in his celebratory toss

Spinnaker
Jun 25, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

BRB calling the PGA to charge a stroke penalty for grounding his club in a sand hazard in his celebratory toss

Know you're joking, but wouldn't be a penalty because his ball was no longer laying in the hazard.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Finally broke 100 at the toughest course in the city. Oddly, it's the course I play most often, but it's an incredibly unforgiving links course with rough that's referred to by members as "the Taliban." Had to take a few drops. Anyway, I shot 96 on Saturday. Very few 3-putts, so poor iron play was my undoing.

Hit my driver much better than usual, too. I've been using a mental device to control my tempo and it's really helped lessen my slice dramatically, and often eliminate it entirely.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lincoln posted:

Finally broke 100 at the toughest course in the city. Oddly, it's the course I play most often, but it's an incredibly unforgiving links course with rough that's referred to by members as "the Taliban." Had to take a few drops. Anyway, I shot 96 on Saturday. Very few 3-putts, so poor iron play was my undoing.

Hit my driver much better than usual, too. I've been using a mental device to control my tempo and it's really helped lessen my slice dramatically, and often eliminate it entirely.

That's great! I was able to reduce my putts by working on my short pitches. It's a lot easier to 2 putt when you start from inside 10 feet of the pin.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hmm...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Maybe if you two played more forgiving AP2's like Major Champion J-Speith instead of trying to look cool you'd have trophies too! I kid.

Those are pretty though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

"Technology" in a forged chunk of metal lol. Or are they multi piece construction?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Walked 18 in 3hrs 10min tonight the way god intended and shot my best score of the SUMMAHH

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

ironlung posted:

Walked 18 in 3hrs 10min tonight the way god intended and shot my best score of the SUMMAHH

I read this in Bill Burr's voice. Congrats.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
the 718 AP2s look really gorgeous

:allears:

I've been really tempted to upgrade my irons to the current 716 AP2s but these new 718s appeal to me so much that I might just have to hold off until they're available :sigh:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I tried to sneak in 9 holes this evening and got greeted by a thunderstorm 2 holes in. At least we got rain checks for another time.

gently caress you weather.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
How straight should my arms be when putting? They're quite bent right now, but my fingertips are right at the end of the grip. I'm getting it re-gripped soon anyway, so getting it shortened will be an option. Maybe I'm too bent over or something, I don't know. And are big fat square grips a good option regardless of putter type? It's a Rossa Spyder that MAH WIFE bought me when I started playing a couple years ago.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Your arms should be as straight as you feel comfortable. You should refrain from contorting your arms too much as it may be difficult to recreate every putt and you should aim for a setup that is repeatable. As far as bending over, well you guessed it, it's all personal preference. The two main things in putting are solid strike (getting the ball to roll end over end everytime) and seeing the line. If anyone tells you that at setup your eyes need to be directly over the ball they are misinformed. It's personal preference and biological as well. Some people are left or right eye dominant and it plays a part in how you see the line when addressed to the ball.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Lincoln posted:

How straight should my arms be when putting? They're quite bent right now, but my fingertips are right at the end of the grip. I'm getting it re-gripped soon anyway, so getting it shortened will be an option. Maybe I'm too bent over or something, I don't know. And are big fat square grips a good option regardless of putter type? It's a Rossa Spyder that MAH WIFE bought me when I started playing a couple years ago.

One idea is, in putting, you want to have as few hinging parts as possible. Quiet wrists and rocking your shoulders will lead to the most consistency with distance control and starting on your intended line. (accuracy). Putting with a longer putter and having to buckle your elbows and cup your wrists (especially if you bend over a lot) will introduce a whole bunch of variables that have to work in concert to let you out your best. So, putting with a shorter putter means you have a straighter arms and flatter wrists.

Many Putters come off the shelf at 35 in, but I personally prefer a shorter putter. My blade Scotty Cameron is 32", as is my current mallet Taylormade Spider Ghost.

Regarding large grips, those are supposed to help keep your wrists quiet in the stroke, too. Personal preference though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Clubs designed the way god intended. Love the looks of the AP2s as well. Sure I could not hit either worth a drat, but still

But why are the Vokey's rusting?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Clubs designed the way god intended. Love the looks of the AP2s as well. Sure I could not hit either worth a drat, but still

But why are the Vokey's rusting?
Raw, the way god intended. :smug:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Kameh posted:

I read this in Bill Burr's voice. Congrats.

Definitely wasn't expecting anyone to get that reference

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kameh posted:

One idea is, in putting, you want to have as few hinging parts as possible. Quiet wrists and rocking your shoulders will lead to the most consistency with distance control and starting on your intended line. (accuracy). Putting with a longer putter and having to buckle your elbows and cup your wrists (especially if you bend over a lot) will introduce a whole bunch of variables that have to work in concert to let you out your best. So, putting with a shorter putter means you have a straighter arms and flatter wrists.

Many Putters come off the shelf at 35 in, but I personally prefer a shorter putter. My blade Scotty Cameron is 32", as is my current mallet Taylormade Spider Ghost.

Regarding large grips, those are supposed to help keep your wrists quiet in the stroke, too. Personal preference though.

I kind of want to try getting a putter fitting, but I really have no complaints with mine. I choke up a lot, which people tell me costs me power, but I don't see the problem. I can just hit it harder and I still have a lot more control then if I hold it from the top.

I just choke up, straight arm and have a smooth pendulum swing. The one thing I got out of group lessons with my kid was straightening my index finger to lock my wrists. Best thing to ever happen to my putting.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Raw, the way god intended. :smug:

High carbon steel, forged by hand Damascus style

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
hey Lyman, you're a Titleist goon-ho right? When do you think the 718s are gonna be available to order?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

hey Lyman, you're a Titleist goon-ho right? When do you think the 718s are gonna be available to order?
Late October is normal release date

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Greg Norman's horses are loving

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I may not have a dick like a horse but I can sure gently caress longer than one :v:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mike Pence gonna show up any minute now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Mike Pence gonna show up any minute now.
How long is a horse's refractory period?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Josh Lyman posted:

How long is a horse's refractory period?

For breeding purposes, two days.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone use a Odyssey “Tank” Putter? I don't get the concept.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Anyone use a Odyssey “Tank” Putter? I don't get the concept.
It's heavier to presumably make it more stable, and it's counterbalanced so that it doesn't feel like it's more heavy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just changed the spikes in my shoes. I really need to remember to use the foot brush on the course more. So gross.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Matt Zerella posted:

Just changed the spikes in my shoes. I really need to remember to use the foot brush on the course more. So gross.

I've played only two courses that have an air gun to clean off your shoes - one here in Houston that's known for walkers, and a course in Scotland. It's brilliant and so much faster than using a gross shoe brush. I don't know why more courses don't have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Kameh posted:

known for walkers

Found your answer