Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Can you lightning-strike a beseiging force from the settlement being beseiged?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Thanks. That's stupid by the way.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

madmac posted:

That doesn't match up with my experiences, but I loaded up an old save to test and yep, CA must have changed RoR behavior at some point because I know for a fact they used to have a cooldown.

My first ever experience using the Ironbreaker RoR was disbanding them after one turn and not getting them back for like 15 turns.

Now I wonder if they still have a cooldown after being destroyed but I don't have a good save to test that with.

They still do, sort of. RoRs use the mercenary system from one of the older games. They are added to a recruitment pool, but your ability to see/recruit units in the pool is limited by what units you should have access to and whether you have already hit the cap for them. Most of the pools (last I checked) can only hold one of any given RoR, so if you raise the cap (or remove it) you'll only be able to recruit one, after which you'll have to wait some number of turns to recruit another copy. Even if you already have recruited any given RoR, they will still regenerate in the pool, even though you can't see them, so if you recruit one, then delete it five turns (or however long they take to regen, I don't recall) later, a replacement will be immediately available. If you attempt to recruit one, boot it, and then recruit another on the same turn, you won't be able to. Unless they've changed it, which I don't think they have.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Thanks. That's stupid by the way.

Yeah it really neuters the AI's ability to take advantage of multiple stacks, because they absolutely have to build siege engines for dumb reasons. I wish the AI was more willing to attack the walls straight away, with just ladders/monsters/artillery, when they have a large numerical advantage.

Granted you'll still probably win that way but it'd be more interesting than using lightning strike on one stack at a time.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Anyone notice a bug with the Fae Enchantress in SFO? Purchasing heaven spells leads to them disappearing after the battle, forcing you to repurchase them.

Also the Fae Enchantress continues to be loving awesome. That anime-esque kamehameha move she does is loving hilarious. Especially if it hits a cluster of heroes and just sends them flying off the top of a hill or mountain.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Archonex posted:

Anyone notice a bug with the Fae Enchantress in SFO? Purchasing heaven spells leads to them disappearing after the battle, forcing you to repurchase them.

Also the Fae Enchantress continues to be loving awesome. That anime-esque kamehameha move she does is loving hilarious. Especially if it hits a cluster of heroes and just sends them flying off the top of a hill or mountain.

This happened to me with Wurrzag. He starts with one point in the Savage Orc boosting red line, but not the initial "inspiring presence" skill that unlocks the red line. I'd spend skill points boosting savages only to have those skills disappear after a turn. Picking Inspiring Presence fixed the issue. Is she like that, some heavens spells available but not the initial one?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This happened to me with Wurrzag. He starts with one point in the Savage Orc boosting red line, but not the initial "inspiring presence" skill that unlocks the red line. I'd spend skill points boosting savages only to have those skills disappear after a turn. Picking Inspiring Presence fixed the issue. Is she like that, some heavens spells available but not the initial one?

Pretty much. Even after getting the initial spell though they disappear after a fight. Give me a bit and i'll test it out.

Also holy crap I did not know she got a free bombardment spell once she got her chalice of potions. Goddamn. I dropped a comet on a blob of greenskins at the same time as the Enchantress got cracked out on potions and doom lasered them and literally four whole units of black orcs just disappeared.

Edit: Wind blast shows up twice. Once as a spell linked to harmonic convergence, and once in the same little grouping of spells that leads to the Nets of Pha-whatever spell.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 26, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah it really neuters the AI's ability to take advantage of multiple stacks, because they absolutely have to build siege engines for dumb reasons. I wish the AI was more willing to attack the walls straight away, with just ladders/monsters/artillery, when they have a large numerical advantage.

Granted you'll still probably win that way but it'd be more interesting than using lightning strike on one stack at a time.

IMO it's kinda silly you have to wait out sieges for equipment when you can just storm the walls immediately

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It should let you spend some money to just instantly build siege equipment. I don't think I've ever used towers or rams because gently caress wasting 4 (or 6, or 8, or...) turns to get enough siege equipment to matter.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

The first time I loaded up an SFO save with Brutal Battles, a Blessed Trebuchet chunked a hundred or so of my dudes in one shot since I keep them in blocks at battle start for maneuverability. It owns!

Actually, while the author of BB claims that it's compatible with SFO, Steel Faith and Ventris actually said that it's not that simple since they made their own edits to formation spacing and hitboxes. Whatever, it still mostly works and it makes AoE poo poo so much more brutal.

Yeah, Brutal Battles is the poo poo. It's pretty much a required mod to really get that Warhammer feel.

I haven't noticed any problems in combat with it yet too. So i'd say any issues are minimal.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Got this game as part of Summer Sale. It's the first TW game I've played, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

I started my first game as dwarves and am so far 20 turns in and things are going pretty swimmingly so far. I am of course open to general advice.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What's the verdict on Grand Campaign Custom Maps mod?

I loaded up a few of the maps in custom battles and flying units had a habit of dropping into the ocean or clipping into some rocks and even infantry on a flat town clipped into the ground.
After playing around in the campaign I'm a little iffy about it after a improved wall capital settlement was attacked instantly by sieging rebels and the greenskin map for the town had basically no advantage to the defender and what should of been a heroic victory against a small rebel army was a pyrrhic one.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I like the custom maps for the variety, but some of them are really bad. Tiny maps where you start almost in ranged unit range, areas where the terrain is weirdly impassable, and sometimes the AI just has no idea what to do. Some of the more popular custom map packs need better quality control for sure.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I really like Steel Faith but it really blows for a Beastmen campaign.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Bogarts posted:

I really like Steel Faith but it really blows for a Beastmen campaign.

How so? I did a Beastmen campaign over the weekend as the one eyed duder and had a blast pushing Tilean's poo poo in before swinging around to gobble up Bretonnia. My beastbros were strong and full of chaos; the humans weak and spraying piss everywhere while routing.

If you're having trouble with the garrisons I'd say have a decoy stack hang around while your main monsters are waiting in a nearby forests.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Beastmen/chaos having to get a large amount of money from sacking makes the garrison buffs a huge nerf to you economically. And you don't have any real equivalent buff to compensate for it. It just takes way longer than in vanilla to get rolling. I completed a SFO chaos campaign this weekend and had kind of the same issue. The early game just wasn't that much fun and usually that is the most fun part of the game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
IMO horde factions in SFO and the base game would be a lot more fun if hordes were persistent, ie if the army died you could get the same buildings back with a new general. Just reflavour it, it's not a moving base, it's just the part of the chaos wastes/forests of the old world that these particular dudes come from. The place is inaccessible to the other races so it's not on the map. You should also be able to retreat somewhere inaccessible and disappear to build back up, with the caveat being you're hemorrhaging money while your army is idle.

Bonus would be, that could also represent a theoretical underempire if there were a race that dwealt beneath everyone ever added to this game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If we're armchair game designing, the way I'd do it is that if a horde is killed off, it drops a horde 'core' or something at the site where the horde died (maybe corresponding to survivors from the horde?), and you - or the AI - can regain most of the horde buildings if you retake the core. This will mitigate the effects of defeat somewhat, without letting armies come back again and again if you are kicking their butt and retain the fact that losing a horde is still a setback.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That would be a nightmare if AI Chaos got it, because they already get piles of free spawning armies.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Note that Rome 2 and Attila already had an army levelling system independent of general levels, I was genuinely surprised not to see it in warhams

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SirPhoebos posted:

Got this game as part of Summer Sale. It's the first TW game I've played, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

I started my first game as dwarves and am so far 20 turns in and things are going pretty swimmingly so far. I am of course open to general advice.

Get all your minor settlements to level 3 ASAP so you can put walls in them, or any AI army will just raze them in a turn and you'll feel like a chump. Take shitloads of quarrellers and dwarf warriors to be the core of your force.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

That would be a nightmare if AI Chaos got it, because they already get piles of free spawning armies.

While being a nightmare would certainly fit chaos their army spawning is really easy to tune accordingly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Player Chaos and AI Chaos are already radically different. I'm no game dev but I can't imagine coding player Chaos differently from the event-spawned hordes would be that difficult.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vlex posted:

Note that Rome 2 and Attila already had an army levelling system independent of general levels, I was genuinely surprised not to see it in warhams

One of the coolest things I saw get added in RTW2. I suppose they figured that stronger army buffs from skills would compensate for the buffs getting locked to specific generals.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SirPhoebos posted:

There's an option in the graphics settings that changes the size of units (i.e. the number of models in each unit). The game is balanced around this being set to Large, which I believe is the default.
You choose the campaign difficulty when you start the campaign, but there's actually a second difficulty setting, just for the battles, which you can access via the Esc menu while in a campaign. This has no effect on how the AI operates, it just gives all their units flat stat buffs.
There's a ton of mods for the game. I'd suggest you start off without them, and then add mods in based on your experiences. Don't like dealing with the AI's agents (outside of battle)? Disable them. Want the AI to be a little richer, or a little smarter with its recruitment? Tune it up. Want some more flexibility with your skill points? You can give yourself (and every other faction) two per level instead. I would recommend against any full conversion mods until you're getting kind of bored with the game.

Most of the DLC just enables playing as certain factions. The King and the Warlord and The Grim and the Grave add new units and leaders to the base four factions--nothing essential, but nice things to have. Also there are a number of free-LCs which you need to activate through their Steam store-pages, it's kind of fiddly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone play any campaigns with the Legitimacy mod for empire and can give a recommendation for or against trying it?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904577954&searchtext=

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The most reliable way to activate the free DLC is to go to each one's store page, activate it - which opens the game launcher - then close the launcher, go to the next free DLC store page, activate it, close the launcher, so on and so forth. It's fiddly to do it for more than one at a time, but you can get it done.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone play any campaigns with the Legitimacy mod for empire and can give a recommendation for or against trying it?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904577954&searchtext=

I've been doing a game with it. The main effect is to make the Empire campaign more interesting but also significantly easier. Confederating it all is way smoother and I didn't think it was particularly difficult to do in the first place. The extra effects are good but it seems too overpowering, I think, and too easy to stay on the electors' good sides.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 27, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Are there any non-horrible people making videos of the game? I was hoping to pick up some pointers, but the first two videos I've seen (of two different people) had a "if you can't take racist speech, GTFO" disclaimer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fat Samurai posted:

Are there any non-horrible people making videos of the game? I was hoping to pick up some pointers, but the first two videos I've seen (of two different people) had a "if you can't take racist speech, GTFO" disclaimer.

Party Elite is pretty good I thought?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah Partyelite has a pretty good video series even if you've played TW games before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Is partyelite the guy who takes 10 minutes talking and plugging his videos before he does anything? because that's annoying as hell. might have been northern lion though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

botany posted:

Is partyelite the guy who takes 10 minutes talking and plugging his videos before he does anything? because that's annoying as hell. might have been northern lion though.

PE might plug where the community he's getting the replay from, but he's relatively quick on it.

Hamilcar
Oct 18, 2012
So this just showed up https://www.totalwar.com/ritual/ along with a thing on their facebook page.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Probably something historical related. That said, could be Albion. Kind of looks like the runes from the Truthsayer and Dark Emissary models.

EDIT: Missed the big GW logo at the bottom.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 27, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hamilcar posted:

So this just showed up https://www.totalwar.com/ritual/ along with a thing on their facebook page.

Whatever it is, if you guess it right you apparently get some code to redeem somewhere. Perhaps some cosmetic DLC?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Looks like you need to submit a word in the blank.

WHEN OUR RIVALS TREMBLE, [blank] THEIR KIN

I got nothing, any nerds figure it out already?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Perestroika posted:

Whatever it is, if you guess it right you apparently get some code to redeem somewhere. Perhaps some cosmetic DLC?

It's a wallpaper, for now, which looks suspiciously like the kind of makeshift town man-sized rats might dwell in, if they existed. The page indicates there are seven more rewards to come as the "ritual" page updates over time

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

it's "missing"

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Looks like you need to submit a word in the blank.

WHEN OUR RIVALS TREMBLE, [blank] THEIR KIN

I got nothing, any nerds figure it out already?

The answer is "missing".

It's the first of 7 reveals though, and this really does feel like it's leading up to Skaven revealed with the deserted Empire City and ramshackle town wallpaper and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
somebody post the wallpaper, i don't want to register an account with their site

• Locked thread