Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

El Burbo posted:

I just hope it's a passing craze
Famous words that tempt fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Freakazoid_ posted:

In this part of japan, we all have a saying: Whenever something bad happens, we just throw our hands into the sky, and say "Hasa Diga Isekai"

I appreciate this joke.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Isekai, the two from this season are about restaurant / businesses in another world right?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

one is, the other is about having a smartphone

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Having a Smartphone? And then what, is the MC gonna charge it with magic? Plug it up his rear end, like Louis CK suggested we did with the DogPhone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwQMH6L7sp0

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

And then what, is the MC gonna charge it with magic?

Actually, yes.
And the smartphone is almost completely irrelevant so far (I've only read the first volume), because in addition to the smartphone, the main character also gets super combat abilities and is the best magic user in the whole world.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ugh. They could at least base the narrative around being able to Google everything or something.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Wark Say posted:

Speaking of Isekai, the two from this season are about restaurant / businesses in another world right?

There are three: Knight's & Magic is part of the isekai subcategory known as isekai tensei, where the protagonist dies in our world (usually by truck) and is reincarnated in a new (fantasy) world.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I've been reading the manga, and i totally forgot about the phone.

It ... essentially turns into a fantasy slice of life where he doesn't have to worry about anything and just tries to live and do some research into the world and what happened with some interludes of "oh yeah, things want to fight. Whelp I'm still OP. :shrug:"

It's not great, but there are some moments I'd watch it for.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

Ugh. They could at least base the narrative around being able to Google everything or something.

There's an American Isekai where the fact that the main characters brought a high school chemistry text book with them becomes incredibly important

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Groovy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fangz posted:

Even bloody No Game No Life did that better by giving them a smartphone but since they have no internet, they can't google. But since they're obsessive in terms of winning everything, they've downloaded a whole bunch of trivia so they can win at quizzes.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

darkgray posted:

There are three: Knight's & Magic is part of the isekai subcategory known as isekai tensei, where the protagonist dies in our world (usually by truck) and is reincarnated in a new (fantasy) world.
Are there any isekai tensei where the protagonist dies, and is recruited by a higher power to be the truck driver who determines which nebbish shut-in gets to be roadkill, and subsequently save an alternate reality? I feel like there's potential there.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
death truck comes for all

kater
Nov 16, 2010

10 sol episodes of a local diner beforehand

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Are there any Isekai where the protagonist really, really doesn't care about this fantasy garbage and just wants the fastest ticket out?

e: Not counting Sword Art Online or any other show where something is actively trying to kill them.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 27, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HellCopter posted:

Are there any Isekai where the protagonist really, really doesn't care about this fantasy garbage and just wants the fastest ticket out?

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's an American Isekai where the fact that the main characters brought a high school chemistry text book with them becomes incredibly important

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blhue posted:

death truck comes for all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPibv8bJeas

"Beyond this river lies another world, where the souls of dead, lovely hiki-NEETS await their next reincarnation. Come, cross the river"
- Aqua

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

HellCopter posted:

e: Not counting Sword Art Online or any other show where something is actively trying to kill them.

Joe in Digimon Adventure. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The comfort of death will come,
for hikikkomori and fujoshi alike...
by the guidance of
the Great Aqua-sama

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Aqours-sama

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

The comfort of death will come,
for hikikkomori and fujoshi alike...
by the guidance of
the Great Aqua-sama
「駄女神様」

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/879764948297031680

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's Haoliners so you know it's going to be a terrific trainwreck.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Crunchyroll also got the Isekai Restaurant.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Grouchio posted:

Famous words that tempt fate.

I heard about a new isekai novel called No Worries for the Rest of Your Days, anyone know how good it is?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

whos haoliners?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

whos haoliners?
Chinese Anime (Chanime? Chiname?) Studio based on Shanghai. Their projects so far have been on the less-than-stellar side of things.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Wark Say posted:

Chinese Anime (Chanime? Chiname?) Studio based on Shanghai. Their projects so far have been on the less-than-stellar side of things.

Looking at their Wikipedia page, that might be due to lack of material more than anything else.

I'm gonna be upset if they cut out the freaky stuff though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Not the most promising sign, then. Hopefully SoL will hold up better then an action-heavy series. They can just save their budget for the last episode when it inexplicably decides to switch to showing the civil war in the Congo, only between Centaurs and Lizardmen.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

HellCopter posted:

Looking at their Wikipedia page, that might be due to lack of material more than anything else.

I'm gonna be upset if they cut out the freaky stuff though.

Don't think you need to worry about that part.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

To Be Hero was great until the last two episodes.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Even that was pretty much entirely due to the writing, it was still pretty well made overall.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I say give Haoliners a chance.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
to be hero was actually a neat showcase for a bunch of chinese animators with really weird styles and sometimes they were legit good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cheating Craft and To Be Hero were both solid shows that looked fine to good. Haoliners' overall track record isn't great but doing an adaptation means you have both visual and writing material to draw from. So I'm optimistic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hate Yowamushi Pedal now

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hate Yowamushi Pedal now
The Hot-Blooded cycling manga?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

The Hot-Blooded cycling manga?

the anime, I haven't read the manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My initial post was humorous exaggeration of my feelings about Teshima losing, but on reflection this season actually was kinda lovely

• Locked thread