Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
They'll pry my blue milk out of my cold, dead hands.

I hope they sell death sticks in the cantina that are just those sugar cigarettes you used to be able to buy from the ice cream man.

Curious if they're going to offer "Bantha burgers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I hope they don't start getting basic with those kind of food menus. I remember rumors of a menu overhaul at Skipper Canteen because it was too exotic for some people and nobody was going. I get it's located in a cornerstone of American tourism but God forbid you eat something that isn't chicken fingers or a burger.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If anything, it feels like the parks are getting more and more interesting food options. Skipper Canteen has almost always been booked solid every time I go, for instance.

That reminds me, apparently the "secret" nacho challenge at Pecos Bills isn't really much of a secret because there were five groups ahead of mine when we went to try it. The wait was so long we just said screw it and ordered off the normal menu. It sucks because I won't be at MK with a party big enough to try the challenge maybe ever again.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
After going to Universal, I really appreciate the variety Disney offers for food.
In park food at Universal is honestly the worst.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

The hilarious part is how many people think stuff like "meat with rice" is an exotic dish. Get better at food, tourists!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah it's really not too different from a Chipotle bowl.

As for Skipper Canteen they did tweak the menu but not too much (although they did ruin my favorite dish but that's just my personal taste).

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

Slightly off-topic from Disney but I know you folks are super knowledgeable. I have an unused ticket to Universal Orlando from 1999 that is not stamped or marked in any way I can see except possibly some red numbers that could indicate one day has been used. I've confirmed that this ticket is from before they began expiring. It's marked "2 Day Escape Adult" Is there any way to get this ticket converted besides actually showing up at the ticket kiosk, or at least confirming what its value is ahead of time?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Eating at the parks has been a big concern for me. My family's adventurous but very picky with the quality of food and I'd rather not hear them bitch for the entire vacation because they had one bad burger somewhere.

Any recommendations for sit down places? Particularly at Universal, we were outright told not to eat anywhere there outside of Citywalk.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Uni parks don't have good sit down, unfortunately. It is surprising that is one area they haven't focused on at all. They could have made an incredible (and high priced) Diagon Alley restaurant in addition to the counter service. The only one you might want to check out is Mythos in IOA. It used to be considered the best theme park restaurant in the world but that was more than a decade ago (even their banner celebrating some award out front is embarrassingly old). I haven't been there myself in years but the menu looks OK just not as amazing as in the past.

Anyway City Walk is very close. The new Chocolate Emporium is very good. I also enjoy Vivo and Cowfish.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SteelMentor posted:

Eating at the parks has been a big concern for me. My family's adventurous but very picky with the quality of food and I'd rather not hear them bitch for the entire vacation because they had one bad burger somewhere.

Any recommendations for sit down places? Particularly at Universal, we were outright told not to eat anywhere there outside of Citywalk.

For Citywalk, try Cowfish or the chocolate emporium. Do NOT eat inside the park proper.

For Magic Kingdom, I loved Skipper Canteen, and I've heard mixed things about Be Our Guest. Pecos Bill's is serviceable Tex-Mex in a sit down setting. I've heard good things about...Harbor House, I believe it's called? New England food with a focus on seafood, I believe.

At Epcot...literally everything in the World Showcase is good. I really liked Teppan Japan and...the Moroccan restaurant whose name I can't remember.

Disney Springs has Morimoto's which I will be trying in September and have heard nothing but good things. I also absolutely 100% loved Frontera Cocina in DS. Some of the tastiest Mexican food I've had, although pretty pricy.

I've never eaten at HS or AK.

Honestly, I think by and large, the food in Disney Springs is the best and eating inside the park is mostly a crapshoot everywhere besides the World Showcase. That said, I have heard great things in this thread about some of the AK restaurants.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Be Our Guest is the best lunch at MK. Dinner is OK but expense for only a minor increase in quality from the lunch. Both are hard to get reservations though. If you get one for lunch make sure to use the order ahead feature to skip the line.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morimotos was good.

HS quick service is all bad. They have the gimmicky TS though with 50s and sci gi.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yak and Yeti is amazing. Our family always has lunch there when at AK. The Salmon and Kobe burger are my favorites.

I like Tiffins too but I've only been once. More expensive but high quality and the decor is cool (a collection of art that inspired Animal Kingdom and Imagineer art when designing the park).

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I like how no one has mention anything in MGM(scifi doesn't count); is Star Wars land getting the only new restaurant(s) or is Toy Story land getting some as well?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
For Universal, if Im going to eat in park, I stick to Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. The food is fine and the atmosphere is amazing.
And I agree that its amazing they didn't include a pricey table service restaurant to either location. Citywalk is full of great places.

Magic Kingdom - Columbia Harbor House is good. Decent variety of food and lots of seating upstairs with nice views to the park. Other places have already been mentioned.

Epcot - I love Sunshine Seasons. Lots of variety. A/C. Lots of seating. Immediate access to Soarin' and Living with the Land. There are also loads of places around the world showcase. But you can't always predict where you will be when you want to each lunch. At least if you are in future world already, its easy to go to SS.

AK - Flametree, Satu'li and Harambe market. There's not a lot of ways you can go wrong in AK. Heck even Restaurantosaurus, which has no variety, has delightful theming.

HS - Ive never enjoyed a meal at HS. I pray that the new lands include some places with decent food.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm gonna be honest, I really like 50s diner gimmick and the food is decent.

Plaza restaurant in MK is underappreciated as well. It's as cheap or cheaper than quick services, food is better, and it's a comfortable AC sit down experience.

At this point, me and my wife are at the phase of just leaving parks and finding a place to get a bite in the resorts and in most cases you can find better food for a better price than in the parks.

BlueBayou posted:

Heck even Restaurantosaurus, which has no variety, has delightful theming.

It also has the crazy awesome toppings bar.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/05/photos-awesome-3-d-haunted-mansion-phone-case-now-available-walt-disney-world/

Oh yeah I saw these cases at Disney Springs the other dya, theyre soooo cool. Wish they had 6s plus

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

BlueBayou posted:

HS - Ive never enjoyed a meal at HS. I pray that the new lands include some places with decent food.

I enjoyed sci-fi, but I went for breakfast and was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed it based on reviews I read.

It's also a short walk over to the boardwalk area though, so can nip over there for a resort lunch ya? I've heard positive things about Beaches and Cream

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Sci-Fi Drive-In at HS has honestly improved a lot since I was a kid. None of the food at that park is awesome and it probably won't be until we get Star Wars up and running, but it's a solid meal. Same with the Prime Time. Honestly I'm wondering just how alien the Star Wars food will be at the start before customer feedback makes them start toning it down.

At AK, Tiffins is amazing. It's expensive, but it's worth the price. If you can't get into somewhere like Victoria & Albert's, it's a solid alternative if you want "fancy cuisine".

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

Epcot - I love Sunshine Seasons. Lots of variety. A/C. Lots of seating. Immediate access to Soarin' and Living with the Land. There are also loads of places around the world showcase. But you can't always predict where you will be when you want to each lunch. At least if you are in future world already, its easy to go to SS.

The Pork Loin they serve at the grill there is possibly my favorite quick service food in WDW.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The sci-fi was really good when I went but you can't mess up a cheeseburger too bad and honestly the theme is so fiercely my poo poo that I could never dislike it. I will say though among people I know it's not a very well liked restaurant and I remember the service being horribly slow for no apparent reason. But HS isn't the most loved park in the first place.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well it's:
A: hard to get into
B: lovely seating if you're anything other than a party of four

After going to Biergarten as a party of two I never wanna do something that involves other parties again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Quixotic1 posted:

I like how no one has mention anything in MGM(scifi doesn't count); is Star Wars land getting the only new restaurant(s) or is Toy Story land getting some as well?

I LOVE 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dinner. The former is awesome "home-style" TV dinner inspired american, the latter is some of the best burgers in Orlando.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Bottom Liner posted:

I LOVE 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dinner. The former is awesome "home-style" TV dinner inspired american, the latter is some of the best burgers in Orlando.

Yeah I had a Very Good burger at sci fi.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Empress Brosephine posted:

After going to Biergarten as a party of two I never wanna do something that involves other parties again.

I'm the opposite. Nothing was more fun than getting drunk off liters of beer with strangers

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

SteelMentor posted:

Most of the restaurants at Citywalk are pretty good, the Chocolate Emporium and Cowfish seems to be the best, Vivo is pretty good and less busy than the others.

In Park sit down at Universal there's Finnegan's (across from Mummy) and Lombards. Of the two I probably prefer Finnegan's (It has the best in park bar inside the parks too) and the food is pretty good. On the Islands side there's Mythos and Confisco's, of the two Mythos is pretty good and a really cool interior, the daily specials are usually great. The two good things about the in park sit down restaurants in Universal is they (usually) don't have much of a wait (Mythos is probably the busiest) and that is the cost is VERY reasonable (barely more than the quick service places and much better food). Finnegan's is our go to spot if we're too bothered to go to Citywalk, and the place is a massive chill hangout during Horror Nights (The bar there is awesome for it).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My current go-to restaurant for HHN is The Leaky Cauldron. The food is better and has more variety (especially in beverages) than the other options in the park and nobody goes there so it tends to have little or no line.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Leaky Cauldron is the only Uni restaurant I've tried and I liked it.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
HS: Derby wasn't bad at all, and managed a walk in that day. Loved the food at Prime Time, I couldn't finish it, portions were massive. I enjoy the electric glow drinks in the bar as well.

MK: BOG was great for lunch, not bad for breakfast, but it was my last QS meal so it was fine. Skipper was good but I should have ordered what my friend got because her food was fantastic. Can't remember what it was though. I was confused by the spiel of the waitress, she was solid with it and it took awhile for me to catch on. Cosmic Ray's isn't bad, and I like dessert at Gaston's though the LeFou Brew could be better.

EP: loveeeeee Biergarten and love Frozen Brown Elephants. I drank around the world on Election Day last fall and it helped the pain. (Though my bday is the 10th so it made the 9th a pretty lovely day).

AK: Harambe Market karubi ribs for life. Haven't had the chance at Tiffin's or Pandora yet.

As a side note, I'm on a an old person cruise around Norway with my dad right now, and while it's pretty cool, it makes me want a DCL cruise around the Caribbean pretty bad.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Biggest disappointment? Chefs de France. Mediocre food and always busy because people think it's fancy.

Funny enough i was in Paris last year and our final night we ended up at a street restaurant that felt and tasted almost exactly like CdF. It was better though because at least they had a view of the real Effiel Tower.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
FOOD THOUGHTS

MK: Best quick service is Pecos Bills. It's been my favorite for years and years, and changing the menu to lite tex-mex just made it even better. Their new Nacho challenge is pretty amazing too if you can rustle up enough friends to afford it. Table Service is hands down Skipper Canteen. Good food and a great setting. The best "Cart" is Sleepy Hollow, because Chicken and Waffle Sandwich, Hand Dipped Corn dogs, and the rad baked potato formerly from the market are all served there and are great ways to get a snack.

Epcot: Quick service has gotta be Sunshine Seasons. Holy moly it's good. Table Service is a toss up because World Showcase has tons of good stuff, like VIa Napoli, Teppan Edo, and Le Cellier. Cart? I'm a big fan of the Pretzel cart in Germany for real pretzels and grapefruit beer.

Studios: Quick service is tough. Most aren't very good. Backlot Express is better than it used to be with it's Star Wars offerings. PizzeRizzo is great themeing but it's the old Pizza Planet style pizza (to be fair, that pizza hits the spot every once in a while) Table Service is all pretty good. I love 50's Prime time, so thats my personal favorite, but Sci Fi is always a blast, and Brown Derby is a lovely place to get an expensive meal (or just get the Cobb Salad which is not bad price wise and amazing) Carts? Well, I guess that funnel cake cart is okay.

AK: Well, a few months ago I would not hesitate to say that the best Quick Service was Flame Tree, but now Satuli exists and it's all good stuff. So both of those are solid choices. Flame Tree has delightful barbeque and great sides, and Satuli offers a hearty meal that is on the healtiher side (I won't call it exotic, though.) Table Service is interesting because I've only eaten at one TS in AK, and it's Tusker House. I loved it for dinner, but I haven't been since Dinner joined in for character dining. Carts throughout this park all have fun stuff. Kusafiri Bakery always has interesting treats.

Disney Springs: Quick Service is a toss up between D-Luxe Burgers (which are TS quality burgers at a reasonable QS price and service. Diablo Burger is amazing) and Blaze Pizza. Table Service for my opinions is gonna be Boathouse, Morimoto, or Homecoming. T-Rex is a fun option for families though with a decent enough menu. Carts? So many to choose from, but I love Wetzels Pretzels so drat much.

Universal Studios: Quick Service I'll go with the Universal Monster Cafe for a Non-Harry Potter meal. THe burgers are decently sized and they have a larger variety of options, from Pizza to Burgers, to BBQ Ribs. Universal Pizza is way better than Disney, but because of that, it's much more pricey. Leaky Cauldron is the way to go though, because drat is it good stuff. The chicken sandwich is amazing. Table Service in the parks at Universal all kind of blow, but if you have to pick one, go for Finnegans, since it's pub food and hard to gently caress up. I don't really pay much attention to the carts at Universal, but I will say the Simpsons stuff all kind of owns. Giant Donuts and good tacos!

Islands of Adventure: Harry Potter's Three Brooksticks will probably be your best bet, but I also like the three offerings in Jurassic Park. Thunder Falls has great chicken and ribs, Burger Digs has some creative Burgers with creative toppings, and Pizza Predatoria has the typical Universal Pizza which I quite enjoy. Three Broomsticks isn't as fun as Leaky Cauldron and a lot of the stuff can be found elsewhere (like the chicken and rib platter) I've heard Confisco is decent TS, but Mythos, despite advertising itself as great is not very good. Carts? Eh, they got Dippin Dots, I guess.

CityWalk: As with Disney Springs, good quick service is not hard to find in CityWalk. in the upstairs food court, you'll find stuff to please the kids and young adults, but at a premium price. If you want Moes, Panda, or Burger King, maybe leave Universal and save a few bucks. Hot Dog Hall of Fame is great stuff and decently priced. Table Service, for me, is a toss up between Cowfish ,which is phenomenal, and Toothsome's Chocolate Emporium, which is also phenomenal. Both have a variety of offerings, and the latter is just a feast for the senses too. Carts are mostly for booze, so whats up Fat Tuesdays!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Zero One posted:

Biggest disappointment? Chefs de France. Mediocre food and always busy because people think it's fancy.

Funny enough i was in Paris last year and our final night we ended up at a street restaurant that felt and tasted almost exactly like CdF. It was better though because at least they had a view of the real Effiel Tower.

Been there twice. Bad experience both times. And those two times were 1999 and 2012, so it's not like they were just having a bad week.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

60 day mark today for me, no Pandora FP available. loving bummer. Hopefully single rider is up when I'm there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So is D-Luxe really as good as it sounds? FYI I pretty much live for the rush of delicious cheeseburgers and for whatever reason haven't made it in there yet. I wouldn't say I'm picky about burgers or anything as much as I have a burning fire deep inside to experience every single one I can.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They're my favorite burgers in Orlando. Big, messy, and juicy, all things I love in a burger. Fantastic fries and shakes too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Douchebag posted:

60 day mark today for me, no Pandora FP available. loving bummer. Hopefully single rider is up when I'm there.

Probably won't but don't give up on the FP. Keep checking back every day.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Douchebag posted:

When I went last month, it wasn't available either, so I went to check on wait times for FoP and for FP, it was 8:09 minutes while regular wait time was around 150. lol.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bottom Liner posted:

They're my favorite burgers in Orlando. Big, messy, and juicy, all things I love in a burger. Fantastic fries and shakes too.

Sounds like Five Guys but enhanced via Disney magic. Hell yeah I'll be sure to stop in on the next trip.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Here's a good video about the 4 different water parks in Orlando (brand new) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0TLo6ysGA

It's a pretty good summary, although I do have to caution Volcano Bay is hitting capacity super early (like minutes after opening) nearly every day the last two weeks or so (being new and not at 100% yet). But that youtube channel is probably the best quick summary of all the new park stuff in Orlando anywhere. I met Tim there at Volcano Bay one day, so I may be a bit biased. But it's a really drat good way to get an honest opinion about everything in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's hard for me to take people seriously with mustaches like that