Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

PJOmega posted:

Friend had a brief fling with a girl who drunkenly asked "who here still shits in the shower?" while raising her hand during a Denny's 2am hangout nearly 15 years ago. Wonder if they're the same person.

"Still"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Uncommon desert cycle.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's that "bolt" art.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That is some gorgeous art.

Also interesting comparing these with the Odyssey threshold lands, which I guess they're sort of spiritual successors of.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The "a desert" generic cost make them a lot more powerful of what i thought initially.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are these the only colored colorless lands available atm? (Not counting aether hub)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Are these the only colored colorless lands available atm? (Not counting aether hub)

The others are conditional.
Spire of Industry require an artifact, Corrupted Crossroad works only for spells with devoid, Holdout settlement requires you to tap a creature, Crumbling vestige gives you clolored mana only the turn it enters the battlefield, and Unknow shores, Painted bluffs and Cascading Cataracts are filters.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Rinkles posted:

There's that "bolt" art.

Yuup. I was wrong. Also, gently caress WotC, gently caress their art director and gently caress whoever loving thinks that that is the art for a land and not an instant or sorcery.

But seriously though - these look sweet, the art is great, but I don't really like that two of them can be activated at instant speed, while the other three can't. This is definitely going to lead to a lot of problems with people not reading their cards,more so than usual.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Does the red desert fit into modern Burn the same way Barbarian Ring fits into Legacy? Or can the manabase not afford the extra basic-mountains-that-aren't-actually-basics?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think modern burn is too much a 3 color deck at this point

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I keep getting dumb brew ideas. Gift of the God-Pharaoh with Call the Bloodline, anyone? :drac:

edit: That reminds me, does Gift overwrite the tokenified creature's types?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 27, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TwistedNails posted:

Turbofog is mtggoldfish budget magic, it'll be everywhere now

God loving damnit. Let me go look at what his build looks like

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

God loving damnit. Let me go look at what his build looks like

I watched the first two matches. The second one is pretty funny.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Yeah, you definitely don't need or want Bounty of the Luxa and when Ahmonkhet came out I wanted Approach too but the deck works so good I never would cast it and always sided it out.

I also took out the Cast Outs for dig spells

It really shits all over the Tier 1 decks except UR Control, if you land a T3 visions you basically win

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah, I'm not sold on Bounty at all, but Approach is my primary wincon. Fevered Visions is great, but it doesn't really win games for me until after an Approach win when the opponent focuses their while gameplan on stopping that. I did like his Kefnet singleton for more draw and an extra wincon, so I just added that. Works pretty well so far. As Foretold is still a house in the deck.

It's actually a pretty hard archetype to play without a lot of reps to figure out the right plays in the early game. I suspect all of the folks who adopt it after watching the videos will dump it after a week of fumble loving around with it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

Does the red desert fit into modern Burn the same way Barbarian Ring fits into Legacy? Or can the manabase not afford the extra basic-mountains-that-aren't-actually-basics?

I don't think Legacy burn runs more than 1 Ring, it's too awkward with Fireblast.

And yeah, Modern Burn only runs like 1-2 basics anyway

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Uncommon desert cycle.

They all seem terrific except the blue one, which has me confused about why you'd ever want it. To mess up scries? If you need a lot of self mill for that god?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

clamiam45 posted:

They all seem terrific except the blue one, which has me confused about why you'd ever want it. To mess up scries? If you need a lot of self mill for that god?

Anti-Second Sun tech

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Maybe they're just trying to bring mill decks back.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Maybe blue really doesn't have much of an identity for an effect that isn't horribly oppressive if you can use it repeatedly.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jenx posted:

Yuup. I was wrong. Also, gently caress WotC, gently caress their art director and gently caress whoever loving thinks that that is the art for a land and not an instant or sorcery.

But seriously though - these look sweet, the art is great, but I don't really like that two of them can be activated at instant speed, while the other three can't. This is definitely going to lead to a lot of problems with people not reading their cards,more so than usual.

A land with an activated ability to deal damage to an opponent at instant speed has a big loving lightning bolt in the picture. My immersion is ruined.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Siivola posted:

WotC lacks the stomach to print another Glimpse the Unthinkable :v:

Sphinx's Tutelage was in the sweet spot for mill cards IMO. It let the people that wanted to play mill bring it to FNM and win a game or two without it being good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

Maybe blue really doesn't have much of an identity for an effect that isn't horribly oppressive if you can use it repeatedly.

Drawing a single card (i.e. turning your deserts into more-or-less cycling lands) would be pretty blue, would be good enough to see limited play without feeling oppressive, and probably wouldn't be played in constructed if the mana cost was about on par with the other cards in the cycle.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, I'm not sold on Bounty at all, but Approach is my primary wincon. Fevered Visions is great, but it doesn't really win games for me until after an Approach win when the opponent focuses their while gameplan on stopping that. I did like his Kefnet singleton for more draw and an extra wincon, so I just added that. Works pretty well so far. As Foretold is still a house in the deck.

It's actually a pretty hard archetype to play without a lot of reps to figure out the right plays in the early game. I suspect all of the folks who adopt it after watching the videos will dump it after a week of fumble loving around with it.

I'm like the complete opposite. I mostly win via Fevered Visions or I get them down to 8-12 life then just blast them in the mid-late game with a 10+ damage Fateful Showdown. I'm not actually sure I ever won a game with Approach. By the time you get to Turn 9 where you have the turn to cast it with Fog backup you've already destroyed their life with Vision damage.

What do you use As Foretold for? Most of the spells are 2-3 CMC so once your Foretold hits counters 4-5-6-7(Approach) what one spell are you casting for free that warrants using it, seems clunky to me but obviously YMMV? Also, I run 2x Lumbering Falls and 1x Needle Spires and people will just lazily "Attack With All" after like 3-4 turns of being fogged and you can chip in for 3 points or 4 points as a time with Manlands.

I don't like this build at all, I feel like he's trying to do too much and have answers for anything.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sphinx's Tutelage was in the sweet spot for mill cards IMO. It let the people that wanted to play mill bring it to FNM and win a game or two without it being good.

Didn't Major win a GP with that deck because he lost his or something so someone loaned him UR Sphinx Mill and he only lost one round the entire tournament.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

clamiam45 posted:

because you're trying to build a blue eldrazi deck

Star Man posted:

A land with an activated ability to deal damage to an opponent at instant speed has a big loving lightning bolt in the picture. My immersion is ruined.

I mean it's not a big deal(to me at least), but if you'd shown me that art I definitely would have guessed "burn spell" or maybe "LD/artifact destruction spell". The focus of that one feels to me like the bolt, while for the others it feels like the terrain to me

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Typical WotC giving blue the garbage card in a cycle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

because you're trying to build a blue eldrazi deck

that's actually a good point, this land cycle is pretty nice if you wanna give reality smasher and thought-knot seer one last hurrah

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

80s James Hetfield posted:

Didn't Major win a GP with that deck because he lost his or something so someone loaned him UR Sphinx Mill and he only lost one round the entire tournament.

Yes and pretty much everyone (I think Majors included) said that the deck was bad and he got lucky.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Shush, let me dream of maybe one day playing Fraying Sanity.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Siivola posted:

Hell yeah let's do it. I'm legit excited to try that new blur Curse that doubles all of your milling in Modern.

Siivola posted:

Shush, let me dream of maybe one day playing Fraying Sanity.

My man.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yes and pretty much everyone (I think Majors included) said that the deck was bad and he got lucky.

iirc the deck had like a 35-40% winrate on modo after that gp

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Those deserts are shockingly good compared to what I expected

I will now make a janky standard Deserts deck so that I may title it "Just Deserts"

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/879708375096971265

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maw of Chaos 5RR
Creature - Hellion
When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to each other creature.
6/6

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/879709484318420992

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/mtggoldfish/status/879709346887872512

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Hell yeah let's do it. I'm legit excited to try that new blur Curse that doubles all of your milling in Modern.
Remember to pack some wraths while you're at it, because it counts everything that enters the graveyard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I appreciate Wizards trying to make their token rare red enchantment easier to cast. In an alternate timeline this would be 3RR or something. I still don't think this is playable but they're at least trying.

Siivola posted:

Remember to pack some wraths while you're at it, because it counts everything that enters the graveyard.

:yeah: MD Fatal Push and Ghost Quarter with SB Damnation, let's do this poo poo.

I wish more people at my store played combo, Mill is legit great against decks like Scapeshift, CoCo/Chord, and even the random Thopter Foundry deck I went up against a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How many uses do you need to get out of this for it to be worth it?