Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I also am spectrum as gently caress

pretty sure that goes for all of us :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stardust is the only comic I recognize sheerly from the bizarre panels people post from it so i'm gonna assume it's entirely this :allears:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Ever had one of those "don't cross the streams" moments? Here's Nick Land babbling incoherently about blockchains. You can hear him talk too! In speech, this Markov-blockchain gibberish sounds almost coherent. (Once they get the sound problems sorted out.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate all the Oreos posted:

Stardust is the only comic I recognize sheerly from the bizarre panels people post from it so i'm gonna assume it's entirely this :allears:

From what I've read Fletcher Hanks just threw everything he had at the wall and then tore the wall down and built a new one from the rubble

Every single one of his comics is batshit insane

I think he did the one about Frankenstein freeing all the animals at the zoo too

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

divabot posted:

Ever had one of those "don't cross the streams" moments? Here's Nick Land babbling incoherently about blockchains. You can hear him talk too! In speech, this Markov-blockchain gibberish sounds almost coherent. (Once they get the sound problems sorted out.)

The one thing I appreciated about Moldbug, Land, etc. was that diving into their interminable nonsense didn't require listening to some guy ramble into a webcam for hours on end. Now even that is taken from me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Looking through the responses to Nagle's book and man

https://twitter.com/hpmacd/status/876534234973863936

Michel Houellebecq is really luck he was born French so people assume he's deep and existential instead of just the more literate version of a standard redditor

Haha I read up on this book and later on the narrator tried to convince a virginal programmer friend of his to go murder a teen girl and her mixed-race boyfriend to get off.

Why yes he DOES refer to the boyfriend using the N word, why do you ask?

Real Literature, folks.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The only thing of Hollerback's work I've actually read was his extremely bad take on Lovecraft.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Race Realists posted:

pretty sure that goes for all of us :v:
Yuuuuuup.

Sometimes I think having a spectrum-y avatar/tagline/whatever would be useful around here just to forestall all the questions like "why are you melting down over this stupid minor detail?" or "why did you memorize that giant list of technical details?" but then I remember what assholes people can be on the internet, and think maybe it'd be best not to.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Relevant Tangent posted:

The only thing of Hollerback's work I've actually read was his extremely bad take on Lovecraft.

The only complimentary things I've read about that book boil down to "Well, I guess it takes one neurotic bigot to really know another"

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
I somehow got through all of Submission, which is pretty much just Houellebecq wanking to "White Sharia" before it was cool.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The only complimentary things I've read about that book boil down to "Well, I guess it takes one neurotic bigot to really know another"

Yeah, that's accurate, but it feels slightly unfair to HP. Hollerback is alive right now, he should be better than Lovecraft, not worse

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
forget tawdry temporal charitable activities like, oh, buying mosquito nets - how about that time an Effective Altruist literally proposed starting a farm of rats with wires in their pleasure centres because that would increase average world happiness

an EA actually found a worse charitable cause than AI risk

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

Sounds like some kind of... hard man... in hard times... making a hard decision... or something

Yeah, great men having the moral courage to make terrible but necesssary decisions is a key part of fascist thought. For sane people, the idea is generally to not get to that point in the first place.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

divabot posted:

forget tawdry temporal charitable activities like, oh, buying mosquito nets - how about that time an Effective Altruist literally proposed starting a farm of rats with wires in their pleasure centres because that would increase average world happiness
Is that buried in the comments so far? The post looks like it's just arguing for funding farms where rats are well taken care of, which is a little :3: if still silly.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

pookel posted:

Is that buried in the comments so far? The post looks like it's just arguing for funding farms where rats are well taken care of, which is a little :3: if still silly.

Lower down in the post itself: "Right now, shockingly few people are concerned with filling the universe with tiny beings whose minds are specifically geared toward feeling as much pure happiness as possible. I’d like to see more efforts to promote this outcome." Someone else notes this is wireheading (which is already an LW trope). There's no way that isn't what he meant.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
increasing universal happiness by focusing on creating a bunch of happy rats sounds like one of those thought experiments someone would think up to reveal the flaws of utilitarianism

is this guy taking the piss?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Law Cheetah posted:

increasing universal happiness by focusing on creating a bunch of happy rats sounds like one of those thought experiments someone would think up to reveal the flaws of utilitarianism

As the lesswrong saying goes "shut up and multiply", ie "keep on using your model even if it's giving absurd results"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, great men having the moral courage to make terrible but necesssary decisions is a key part of fascist thought. For sane people, the idea is generally to not get to that point in the first place.

Literally a comic book set in an alternate post apocalyptic future that is a satire of America starting a literal jackbooted fascist, specifically a story that is a conclusion to the hyper Cold War involving Russia invading the US and the only way to end the war without most of the remaining population of the US dying is to drop a nuke, almost like it's a riff on the actual use of nuclear weapons in ww2

You're not supposed to root for Dredd killing five hundred million people, even if it was the only way to end the war

Also he's already a literal member of the literal fascist literal police state so perhaps wringing your hands over the dangers of fascist thought tendencies is not really an appropriate reaction either?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jesus Christ only on something awful do I have to explain that no you guys Judge Dredd isn't a hero and the end of the Apocalypse War isn't supposed to be a moment where you shrug and go "well he did what he had to do"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

From what I've read Fletcher Hanks just threw everything he had at the wall and then tore the wall down and built a new one from the rubble

Every single one of his comics is batshit insane

I think he did the one about Frankenstein freeing all the animals at the zoo too

My comics friend said basically the same thing, but also that his life was super tragic and full of cycle of abuse poo poo :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The joke is that's the description used not one page ago to classify things as the bad kind of unironic grimdark, which Dredd is definitely not apparently except when it is

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Literally a comic book set in an alternate post apocalyptic future that is a satire of America starting a literal jackbooted fascist, specifically a story that is a conclusion to the hyper Cold War involving Russia invading the US and the only way to end the war without most of the remaining population of the US dying is to drop a nuke, almost like it's a riff on the actual use of nuclear weapons in ww2

You're not supposed to root for Dredd killing five hundred million people, even if it was the only way to end the war

Also he's already a literal member of the literal fascist literal police state so perhaps wringing your hands over the dangers of fascist thought tendencies is not really an appropriate reaction either?
As much as I agree with your position here, it's kinda dependent on the comic to make it clear that Dredd is a bad guy, because otherwise you get a shitload of chucklefucks who will root for Dredd and his moral courage in making the only correct choice.

Personally, I'd like to see one of these hard men make the hard decision to kill themselves. Not one of the Dark Enlightenment assholes, just one of these characters. Somebody realizing that during the war, they needed people willing to push the button on half a billion people, and during the post-apocalypse they needed somebody willing to abandon one person for the sake of the other hundred, but now that they have peace, there's no place for monsters like him, so *BANG* ~FIN~

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

darthbob88 posted:

As much as I agree with your position here, it's kinda dependent on the comic to make it clear that Dredd is a bad guy, because otherwise you get a shitload of chucklefucks who will root for Dredd and his moral courage in making the only correct choice.

Personally, I'd like to see one of these hard men make the hard decision to kill themselves. Not one of the Dark Enlightenment assholes, just one of these characters. Somebody realizing that during the war, they needed people willing to push the button on half a billion people, and during the post-apocalypse they needed somebody willing to abandon one person for the sake of the other hundred, but now that they have peace, there's no place for monsters like him, so *BANG* ~FIN~

It would have been a much, much stronger story if Dredd was _in_ the other city at the time, yes.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The fundamental risk of AI is that by defining a naive utility function you will inadvertently make the AI pursue goals that technically fulfil that function but are actually inimical to the flourishing of life and mind. Anyway, you put the rat in this clamp and make an incision here...

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Peel posted:

The fundamental risk of AI is that by defining a naive utility function you will inadvertently make the AI pursue goals that technically fulfil that function but are actually inimical to the flourishing of life and mind. Anyway, you put the rat in this clamp and make an incision here...

👏 👏 👏

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Qwertycoatl posted:

As the lesswrong saying goes "shut up and multiply", ie "keep on using your model even if it's giving absurd results"

The version of utilitarianism they use is the simplified version economics uses sometimes, which is why they gleefully bite all the bullets utilitarians have spent years dodging

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

same

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Law Cheetah posted:

"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question." -literally a book called Utilitarianism

Just like libertarian thinking can be summed up as "Locke with a concussion," lesswrong thinking is "Bentham with a concussion," and Bentham is already "lovely JS Mill."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

... but you were defending Ennis a second ago for getting hyped about the 'moral courage' Dredd showed? Can't have it both ways, dude.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

... but you were defending Ennis a second ago for getting hyped about the 'moral courage' Dredd showed? Can't have it both ways, dude.
To be fair, Ennis was saying that it was "moral courage on an almost unimaginable level–but it was appalling", and that "it was the only way to win[...]–but it was genocide". That kind of ambivalence sounds like the right response to Dredd's actions, IMO.

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

Qwertycoatl posted:

As someone who works with simulations, the fact that "don't check your model" is an accepted principle in rationalist circles makes me facepalm.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Skittle Prickle posted:

As someone who works with simulations, the fact that "don't check your model" is an accepted principle in rationalist circles makes me facepalm.

It struck me just now that the whole 'nerds understand the form of culture but not the content' applies to logic as well. So many rationals know how to manipulate logical building blocks but have no grasp of what it means to do so.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

potatocubed posted:

It struck me just now that the whole 'nerds understand the form of culture but not the content' applies to logic as well. So many rationals know how to manipulate logical building blocks but have no grasp of what it means to do so.

It's just like programming languages but for squishy and soft people things!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

haha holy poo poo this man is literal human garbage

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > PYF Grimdark Enlightenment Thinker: In the Rationalist Future, Argumentum Ad Absurdum is No Fallacy

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Skittle Prickle posted:

It's loving hilarious because checking and adjusting your model based on the results it gets vs the real world results is kind of a basic concept. A very basic concept that's not only taught early, but downright common sense. Lesswrongers do the same with bayesian statistics. They make up some numbers and decide they're right.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Goon Danton posted:

"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question." -literally a book called Utilitarianism

Just like libertarian thinking can be summed up as "Locke with a concussion," lesswrong thinking is "Bentham with a concussion," and Bentham is already "lovely JS Mill."

Isn't that what Sam Harris also does too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
scott's tumblr kerfuffle over his lovely blogpost about how you shouldn't care about racism is pretty amazing, mostly for his ability to feel threatened and insulted over nothing. check it out, though, it's nice.