Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Seriously they should have gone with an lcd in front of the driver and/or HUD. It's elegantly ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is the EV thread and we are talking about vents...

Why the gently caress do our C-Max's have these vestigial lower vents under the radio that aren't adjustable, and serve only to make my knees loving cold when I'm wearing shorts? I close them for the most part. Seems wonky.

Do other cars have these things these days?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
I gotta say, although I dislike the Model 3 way where they removed everything, there's gotta be a good middle ground between that and

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eyebeem posted:

This is the EV thread and we are talking about vents...

Why the gently caress do our C-Max's have these vestigial lower vents under the radio that aren't adjustable, and serve only to make my knees loving cold when I'm wearing shorts? I close them for the most part. Seems wonky.

Do other cars have these things these days?

I noticed those on my Forester. I didn't even know they were part of the vent system. They don't seem to do anything on feet+windshield setting.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anta posted:

I gotta say, although I dislike the Model 3 way where they removed everything, there's gotta be a good middle ground between that and

Honestly, with the exception of the buttons behind the shifter being difficult to get to (but they aren't buttons you hit often), the C-Max interior is a pretty nice place to be. The surfaces are all decent, fit and finish is good, and it's not overly busy like a Honda interior.

My other car is Fiat 500, though, and that thing has all of 10 buttons. Super simple. But every surface is as hard as, well, cheap plastic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anta posted:

If we ignore the screen, the Model 3's dash is pretty nice and clean, like you'd want an electric car's to be. It's insane to me that they didn't even put a little pod on the dash in front of the driver with the three legally required instruments (speedometer, odometer and turn signal indicator). All of the negatives of the stupid central iPad have been mentioned already: instruments not in the driver's sightlines, glare off the glossy surface, night vision ruined by large glowing display, zero tactile feedback, too much cluttered information, data moves around depending on the mode.

Do Teslas at least have a night mode where you can turn off all the data except for a big red speed readout or something?

IIRC Elon literally believes that you don't need gauges because the cars will be entirely self-driving aaannny day now (and said as much on twitter, when he also confirmed that there won't be a HUD) and apparently that just overrides the ergonomists and UX designers that I assume Tesla has on staff but I guess I could be wrong there.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
It also looks really dumb the way it's not integrated into the dash bust just slapped it on a mount.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

El Grillo posted:

It also looks really dumb the way it's not integrated into the dash bust just slapped it on a mount.

Have you seen any new cars in the last 3 years?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hopefully you can still drive home after someone rips it off your dash thinking they're stealing an ipad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

the ergonomists and UX designers that I assume Tesla has on staff but I guess I could be wrong there.

They have UX people at least. I gently yelled at one of them about the 5.0 (I think) update.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

eyebeem posted:

Honestly, with the exception of the buttons behind the shifter being difficult to get to (but they aren't buttons you hit often), the C-Max interior is a pretty nice place to be. The surfaces are all decent, fit and finish is good, and it's not overly busy like a Honda interior.

Hmm, guess your definition of 'not busy' is different to mine.

Ford really needs to poach some interior people from Mazda - the difference between a Focus and a 3 or an Escape and a CX-5 is just stark when they're on the same lot parked next to each other

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Do Teslas at least have a night mode where you can turn off all the data except for a big red speed readout or something?

No. It has the slowest autodimming in the car world. Even a Mazda 2 instaswitches instrument lighting when you enter a tunnel, the Model S needs the entire length of the tunnel to gradually dim down to a decent setting. It's like the super brainy computer wizards thought they only needed to dim as fast as the sun was setting or something. When I've driven one in the dark or through tunnels, I've put the dim setting on the thumb wheel (which is nice) and put the main screen in "cleaning mode", which blacks it out for wiping fingerprints. But the backlight is still on so it's not ideal.

Computer people. Sucking at understanding humans since Charles Babbage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Subjunctive posted:

They have UX people at least. I gently yelled at one of them about the 5.0 (I think) update.

I wonder how much telemetry they have going on to back up their design decisions? That's how MS came up with Windows 8 after all

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As was mentioned, they're a lot cheaper than having proper knobs and sliders and so on, and they also have the "ooh shiny" factor going for them, so I don't think they're going away, sadly. I can only hope that we figure out how to haptic feedback soon so the screen can actually change shape/texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnwi14c4-dY&t=204s

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 13, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Not quite the same. I know I've pressed something, just not what. A physical thing like the fan speed dial can be located and perfectly set by touch alone. You have to look at a fan speed icon, even if it goes bzzt. (Until screen surface texture is invented).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Remember that dude who died in an accident while watching Harry Potter in his Model S (having ignored the multiple warnings instructing drivers not to trust their lives to the system)? The NTSB took a look at the car's black box, and found that the steering wheel had barely been touched over the previous half hour - the "Hands back on the wheel, you loving moron!" warning had gone off several times:

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-driver-in-fatal-florida-crash-got-numerous-warnin-1796226021

Earlier in the video, that guy was making a big deal about the length of the taillights. There's a penis joke in there somewhere, I just know it.

Ola posted:

Not quite the same. I know I've pressed something, just not what. A physical thing like the fan speed dial can be located and perfectly set by touch alone. You have to look at a fan speed icon, even if it goes bzzt. (Until screen surface texture is invented).

I've read a few articles about R&D into haptic feedback for touch screens, but no mention of anything that would allow for blindly feeling for a the button you want to push without pushing anything else.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

223 wh/mi or 138wh/km

One of my more efficient drives and I didn't even try. While I love one pedal driving in L mode, I get better efficiency driving in regular D mode instead. Just pressing the brake pedal down slightly on the gen 2 Volt seems to use nearly all regen only to slow down. You can really extended the amount time spent in regen by just using the brake pedal only. Much smoother than using the regen paddle, which is way too aggressive IMHO.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cockmaster posted:

Remember that dude who died in an accident while watching Harry Potter in his Model S (having ignored the multiple warnings instructing drivers not to trust their lives to the system)?

Did you miss the memo that said we were all going to phrase it as "watching a movie when he should've been watching the trailer?" C'mon son.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the NTSB report says specifically he wasn't watching a DVD but don't let that stop anyone from saying it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The first level (popup) of needs-hands happens all the time, sometimes even with hands on the wheel (you need to wiggle it a bit). The third level, though -- and I would describe it as an alarm more than a chime, from my testing -- takes some serious ignoring to trigger, given the flashing display for ten seconds or so.

I thought the 3rd level also started to gently stop the car, but I might be misremembering.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

After ignoring it for 2-3 minutes, it should change to a lullaby and pull over at the next opportunity. Remove any benefit that could be had by sleeping in auto drive modes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The tricky thing is figuring out what to do when you know there isn't human supervision. You get close to L3 at that point, IMO. Just continuing to hold the lane and maybe coming to a stop with hazards (on the highway?) is maybe the best option available today. Maybe honk the horn a bit, crank the A/C to slow decomposition of the heart attack victim.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Volvo brings back the dormant Polestar brand to focus on EVs

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sweden is a silly place.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

The first level (popup) of needs-hands happens all the time, sometimes even with hands on the wheel (you need to wiggle it a bit). The third level, though -- and I would describe it as an alarm more than a chime, from my testing -- takes some serious ignoring to trigger, given the flashing display for ten seconds or so.

I thought the 3rd level also started to gently stop the car, but I might be misremembering.

Yeah. After x amount of warning it flashes the hazards and pulls up to a stop. Here's a Tesla vlogger with caps in title and emoji in pic (so vloggy) testing it. Skip the vlogging to 1:45, watch for 30 secs or so, then you can stop and prevent more vlogging from being vlogged at you. Vlog. Can't stop saying vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3AwNXZiZt8

Not sure if it was implemented when that guy crashed, maybe it wasn't and it blared all the time or maybe they mean the alarm kept coming back and he just kept nudging it away with his knee or thumb.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure that crash prompted Tesla to ramp up the annoyance of ignoring the warnings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure that crash prompted Tesla to ramp up the annoyance of ignoring the warnings.

What makes you sure?

Even in the first week of Autopilot, stage 3 was really intrusive. Retesting after whatever UI update didn't indicate much of a change in the basic mechanics.

E: they might have changed the sensitivity or timing, but I didn't notice anything and the timing is pretty unpredictable anyway.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 21, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Sweden is a silly place.
Can't argue with that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Not quite dormant! They're lending me a V60 Polestar for a week next month.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

The tricky thing is figuring out what to do when you know there isn't human supervision. You get close to L3 at that point, IMO. Just continuing to hold the lane and maybe coming to a stop with hazards (on the highway?) is maybe the best option available today. Maybe honk the horn a bit, crank the A/C to slow decomposition of the heart attack victim.

I could've sworn I had heard that someone (Volvo, maybe?) was working on a highway autopilot system that would pull the car over and stop if the driver stopped responding (presumably having the ability to identify a safe place for that, so you wouldn't end up going over a cliff or something).

Subjunctive posted:

What makes you sure?

Even in the first week of Autopilot, stage 3 was really intrusive. Retesting after whatever UI update didn't indicate much of a change in the basic mechanics.

E: they might have changed the sensitivity or timing, but I didn't notice anything and the timing is pretty unpredictable anyway.

Now if you keep ignoring the warnings, it'll lock out the Autosteer function until the next time you put the car in park:

https://electrek.co/2016/09/22/tesla-autopilot-nags-and-restrictions-under-v8-0-software-update-breakdown/

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Not quite dormant! They're lending me a V60 Polestar for a week next month.

:krad:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cockmaster posted:

Now if you keep ignoring the warnings, it'll lock out the Autosteer function until the next time you put the car in park:

https://electrek.co/2016/09/22/tesla-autopilot-nags-and-restrictions-under-v8-0-software-update-breakdown/

Ah, I only tested it once and then went back to driving like an adult. Thanks!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cockmaster posted:

I could've sworn I had heard that someone (Volvo, maybe?) was working on a highway autopilot system that would pull the car over and stop if the driver stopped responding (presumably having the ability to identify a safe place for that, so you wouldn't end up going over a cliff or something).

That's what the upcoming level 3 Audi A8 will do, and maybe the Cadillac CT6.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think the times in that article are correct. I spent at least 20 minutes following a car below 45mph on the way to work and it didn't trip once.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The state of Indiana just introduced additional yearly fees that EV and hybrid owners will have to pay, in addition to the already high registration fees. $150 for pure EVs, $50 for hybrids, to be adjusted (raised) every 5 years. And also an additional $15 for all vehicles on top of that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For any reason other than "gently caress you, that's why"?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

stevewm posted:

The state of Indiana just introduced additional yearly fees that EV and hybrid owners will have to pay, in addition to the already high registration fees. $150 for pure EVs, $50 for hybrids, to be adjusted (raised) every 5 years. And also an additional $15 for all vehicles on top of that.

So a pure ICE pays only $15? Any attempted reasoning or just a brazen "gently caress you libs"?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

For any reason other than "gently caress you, that's why"?

Makeup of lost revenue due no / limited application of the gas tax?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ola posted:

So a pure ICE pays only $15? Any attempted reasoning or just a brazen "gently caress you libs"?

All the new fees are on top of existing registration fees and excise taxes, which in Indiana are based on the manufactuers original retail price and age of the vehicle and capped at $532.

So its going to cost $471 to register my Volt this year.

If you have a Bolt, it would be around $635...

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gas tax revenue needs to be reclaimed somewhere. It's inevitable.

• Locked thread