Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thank you!

Which idea group would you recommend first, given that Exploration will be second?

Humanist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

alcaras posted:

Thank you!

Which idea group would you recommend first, given that Exploration will be second?

Humanist?

I would probably go administrative. Maybe Economic if you're a fan of that group.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

The first big decision you need to make is whether to fight for your holdings on the continent or surrender them to France. You'll want some big allies if you plan to defend those provinces-- Castile, Aragon, Burgundy (usually rivals England though), Austria. There is an event that triggers very early which will force you to surrender Maine or go to war with France.

You start with a 0/0/0 ruler and no heir, you actually don't want an heir because then you have King Shitlord for decades. The War of the Roses will trigger, it's really not that tough to deal with. Once it ends you'll get a new ruler with good stats.

Take it pretty easy in the early game until you stabilize after War of the Roses. Eat some of Ireland since that's easy, maybe Scotland if you get a chance without France joining. Your manpower is pretty bad, watch it carefully.

You don't really want to take Exploration first imo, take it second if you're going to colonize (I'm assuming so).

edit: oh I forgot to mention the Lollards event, that fires in the first few years and may give you high unrest in a few provinces depending on the option you pick. So in general your early game strategy is to chillax until you deal with War of the Roses and the Lollards.
If you're gonna go for the PU with France dont wait until the surrender of Maine event. If you do you have to beat France + their allies and your allies wont help you.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can you use the same trick to keep France's liberty desire down as you do for CNs? Develop a province every now and then?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can the Inheritance of Burgundy still trigger if France in under a PU, and will the land go to France or its overlord?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

alcaras posted:

Thank you!

Humanist?

Usually something from the Admin group, because you won't be coring much while you're busy dealing with France.

Economic is solid and what I tend to pick when in doubt. Innovative is good as well, but less useful for someone in Western Europe.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
In my England game where I wanted to grab a bunch of achievements, I didn't surrender Maine and the AI France decided not to go to war over it. After I formed some alliances and got some favors, I took the Subjugate France mission and formed a PU over them. Then once you start to take control over the English Channel, you're stupidly powerful and even more stupidly rich. It was actually kinda fun.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Can you use the same trick to keep France's liberty desire down as you do for CNs? Develop a province every now and then?
Yes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

White Coke posted:

Can the Inheritance of Burgundy still trigger if France in under a PU, and will the land go to France or its overlord?

I was wrong about this. The event will not fire if France is a subject.

Too Poetic posted:

If you're gonna go for the PU with France dont wait until the surrender of Maine event. If you do you have to beat France + their allies and your allies wont help you.

Your allies probably won't help you anyway, Surrender usually fires too fast for you to get enough favors and calling them in for land is not likely to be possible so early in the game. And even if you do it's not a great idea since you'll probably lose the alliance when you stiff them. The point of having the allies is not to call them in but to deprive France of the chance to ally them themselves.

Node posted:

In my England game where I wanted to grab a bunch of achievements, I didn't surrender Maine and the AI France decided not to go to war over it. After I formed some alliances and got some favors, I took the Subjugate France mission and formed a PU over them. Then once you start to take control over the English Channel, you're stupidly powerful and even more stupidly rich. It was actually kinda fun.

It's extremely fun, I really recommend this run. The first time I tried it I actually lost the PU thanks to my chronically lovely relations with France and my king dying out of nowhere like a year after I won the war, so I had to take it back in a big rear end hellwar. Somewhere back in the thread I posted a picture of how that run turned out, I basically locked down the whole new world and was making over 400 gold a month in tariffs alone. You can take it in a lot of different directions once you have France reined in.

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

Too Poetic posted:

You can call allies into the SoM war as normal (you'll likely need to promise them land, though).

skasion posted:

Your allies probably won't help you anyway, Surrender usually fires too fast for you to get enough favors and calling them in for land is not likely to be possible so early in the game. And even if you do it's not a great idea since you'll probably lose the alliance when you stiff them. The point of having the allies is not to call them in but to deprive France of the chance to ally them themselves.

Aragon, Burgundy and Castile are all likely to want french land if they rival France. It required a couple of restarts, but I managed to get both Burgundy and Castile to help me get the union in my recent England run.

Silent Banana fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 27, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tfw you're going for White Elephant and Ming decides it'd rather annex Pegu than make it a tributary.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Any advice for trying to take down Muscovy as a Russian minor? It's rough going. I seem to either bite it early or get pretty strong--but not quick enough to outpace Muscovy's explosive growth so that they're basically impossible to tackle when the Ottomans have started breathing down my neck.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Any advice for trying to take down Muscovy as a Russian minor? It's rough going. I seem to either bite it early or get pretty strong--but not quick enough to outpace Muscovy's explosive growth so that they're basically impossible to tackle when the Ottomans have started breathing down my neck.

You can support rebels. Pray for a disaster to hit them, which isn't unlikely if you're supporting rebels. Ally them and drive them into massive debt over a bunch of wars. Go after what splits off in the following bankruptcy.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Fall into a PU with them and then...

France, Spain, Persia, Ottomans, Bahmanis
:unsmigghh:

But seriously, it's a lot of getting lucky and jumping on any advantage you get.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I just bought this game, and I decided to be all statesman-like and step in to defend a minor nation from the Ottomans, and now everything is on fire. It's absolutely wonderful.
Apparently being fairly good at Civ 5 is very poor preperation for EU4...

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Silent Banana posted:

You can call allies into the SoM war as normal (you'll likely need to promise them land, though).

Aragon, Burgundy and Castile are all likely to want french land if they rival France. It required a couple of restarts, but I managed to get both Burgundy and Castile to help me get the union in my recent England run.
All I know is when I was playing Austria and did a PU war for Poland none of my allies would participate despite having enough favors. I dont remember the modifier but they basically didnt want me to have the PU.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I just bought this game, and I decided to be all statesman-like and step in to defend a minor nation from the Ottomans, and now everything is on fire. It's absolutely wonderful.
Apparently being fairly good at Civ 5 is very poor preperation for EU4...

Civ5 and EU4 are almost antithesis as far as games go. I enjoy Civ5 a lot, but doesn't keep me coming back as EU does.

Basically, EU is all about building strong (and convenient) alliances, growing as much as possible in 'safe' regions (those that have your culture/religion) before taking on the big boys, managing your manpower so wars don't ruin you for decades, and concentrating trade so your economy can sustain your ambitions.

Civ5 is far more about getting to the prime real estate before anyone else (A bit of a thing in EU4 as well if you are colonizing, but never to the same extent) and then boosting technology as fast as it will go.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
3 years into Court and Country i just had the horrible realization that my 7 legitimacy monarch will not allow me to have 65 absolutism by the resolution of the disaster.

Great great great

Now taking suggestions

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 27, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
After getting a little frustrated with Ryazan, I decided to just make a fun/stupid short term goal that, uh, seems to be paying off. See, Tver, like Ryazan, starts off with no heir and is Rurikovich, but they're very willing to do a Royal Marriage.

So I kept restarting until I managed to win a war for my claim on their throne. It wasn't hard--Ryazan has slightly more forcelimit than Tver and combined with a Boyar general your troops are probably going to pull through. The issue isn't even taking them AND Odyev at once. It's mostly that there was more than a few times where they ended up in a Personal Union with Muscovy before I could seal the deal!

But it seems like it's working? Tver isn't too hard to please with development and then you've got a subject that's rolling around with 6-8 forcelimit--and Muscovy doesn't get it, particularly if you Ally Muscovy.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

I Love You! posted:

3 years into Court and Country i just had the horrible realization that my 7 legitimacy monarch will not allow me to have 65 absolutism by the resolution of the disaster.

Great great great

Now taking suggestions

Reduce autonomy and use military points to strengthen government

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

Going for a Dracula's revenge run, current status is uh, interesting to say the least:

Long story short, anytime the Ottomans have gone to war, Russia and I have dog piled on them. This will be the first war where we (I) take anything and dont just end it in a white peace. My usual strategy of rushing to join the HRE didn't workout, which worried me at the start of the run, however I'm pleasantly surprised with how this run has gone thus far.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm concerned that you don't have a draculesti dynasty

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

oddium posted:

i'm concerned that you don't have a draculesti dynasty

Sadly the Wallachia start is, at least in my experience, far more difficult then Moldavia. Get Independence from Poland and take enough provinces in the same war to border Silesia. (Again, got lucky this run and didnt join the HRE). How to start as Wallachia I wouldent even know. Get an alliance with Hungary and hope the Otto's dont declare on you I guess.

Update: Constantinople is mine, time to crush the rest of the Ottoman Balkans. About 100 years left, should be able to do it without issue, hopefully.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I've done it as Wallachia. It takes some luck early on snagging alliances with Hungary, Poland, and Austria, and patience to build up favors with them for an offensive war.

Once you win that first war on the Ottomans you can just snowball and hit them again every time the truce runs out.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 27, 2017

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
What are the key things to do for a good Golden Horde start? Do you want to deal with Muscovy right away, or go in a different direction first and then come back for them later? I'm not really clear on the strategies for keeping horde unity up any more either. Its actually been some time since I last played EU4.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kersch posted:

What are the key things to do for a good Golden Horde start? Do you want to deal with Muscovy right away, or go in a different direction first and then come back for them later? I'm not really clear on the strategies for keeping horde unity up any more either. Its actually been some time since I last played EU4.

Kick them down ASAP. If they build steam you'll regret it. You'll have to time them in another war. I find it's best to try and eat a path to Novgorod so that you can take them apart at the same time. Ally another tough horde and eat all the other ones. You want to hop on Crimea quickly as well so they don't become Otto vassals. You can eat almost all of Crimea in one go. Try and ally with Poland at first imo, though it can be dicey.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tsyni posted:

Kick them down ASAP. If they build steam you'll regret it. You'll have to time them in another war. I find it's best to try and eat a path to Novgorod so that you can take them apart at the same time. Ally another tough horde and eat all the other ones. You want to hop on Crimea quickly as well so they don't become Otto vassals. You can eat almost all of Crimea in one go. Try and ally with Poland at first imo, though it can be dicey.

Oh yeah, I haven't played with the new Muscovy changes, but I'd eat ryazan right away and release them as a vassal to feed on Muscovy land after you raise it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I Love You! posted:

Great great great

Now taking suggestions

Doesn't the disaster only end once you've beaten all the rebels and unsieged everything? It's not just immediately over once the timer runs out.

So just keep some rebel stacks around while your legitimacy ticks back up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yo i ran some numbers on Improve Relations vs AE Impact Reduction because i was curious. this is a case in which it's assumed you took what would have been 50 ae of land without any reduction

at 0 prestige, -20% ae impact is equivalent of having +25% improve relations which is easy to get (40 ae at +2 decay per year vs 50 ae at +2.5 decay per year)

at 100 prestige, it's equivalent of having +88% improve relations which is also kind of easy to get (+50% from 100 prestige, some combo of humanist, diplomatic, advisor, policies, being hindu/protestant, there's a ton of traditions) (36 ae at +3 decay per year vs 45 ae at +3.76 decay per year)

so improve relations is more "expensive" but you get better stuff to go along with it

with ae impact reduction you get more of that good good land at a time which obvs can get you stronger faster

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How am I supposed to gain monarch points other than advisors? It's like 1460 and I am not even close to getting my first technology.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How am I supposed to gain monarch points other than advisors? It's like 1460 and I am not even close to getting my first technology.

Don't spend them on non-tech things. If your ruler is a real pos like 1/0/0 consider making him a general and sending him into battle. Use estates to get some monarch bonuses.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you have the expansions there are some extra ways to get them, but yeah the big thing is to not waste them unnecessarily. Don't harsh treatment unless you have to, don't hire loads of generals unless you really need to, try to use the advisor rather than constantly buying down inflation and so on.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Lagnar posted:

Sadly the Wallachia start is, at least in my experience, far more difficult then Moldavia. Get Independence from Poland and take enough provinces in the same war to border Silesia. (Again, got lucky this run and didnt join the HRE). How to start as Wallachia I wouldent even know. Get an alliance with Hungary and hope the Otto's dont declare on you I guess.

Update: Constantinople is mine, time to crush the rest of the Ottoman Balkans. About 100 years left, should be able to do it without issue, hopefully.

You aren't Count Dracula. Achievement revoked. Try again. Second offense will force the music player to play nothing but EU2 Falalalan for a week.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oddium posted:

yo i ran some numbers on Improve Relations vs AE Impact Reduction because i was curious. this is a case in which it's assumed you took what would have been 50 ae of land without any reduction

at 0 prestige, -20% ae impact is equivalent of having +25% improve relations which is easy to get (40 ae at +2 decay per year vs 50 ae at +2.5 decay per year)

at 100 prestige, it's equivalent of having +88% improve relations which is also kind of easy to get (+50% from 100 prestige, some combo of humanist, diplomatic, advisor, policies, being hindu/protestant, there's a ton of traditions) (36 ae at +3 decay per year vs 45 ae at +3.76 decay per year)

so improve relations is more "expensive" but you get better stuff to go along with it

with ae impact reduction you get more of that good good land at a time which obvs can get you stronger faster

This is cool and interesting but at the end of the day I always get both anyway :shrug:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Got the Redecorating achievement :toot:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Every time I think I will play a game through til late I hit those higher level forts and the desire to play just evaporates. This game would be so much better later on if forts capped out at 2 or 3.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wait, you can consecrate a metropolitan without controlling the whole state :aaa: ?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Just need to be able to state the province and accept it's culture.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Futuresight posted:

Every time I think I will play a game through til late I hit those higher level forts and the desire to play just evaporates. This game would be so much better later on if forts capped out at 2 or 3.

Stack siege ability and +siege pips for generals (Offensive, aristocratic, innovative nets you +2 siege pips and +20% siege ability through ideas and a policy iirc).

Roll a 3-4 siege pip general, take the splendor ability where you get a bigger bonus to sieges from artillery, bring a shitton of cannons and you'll feel good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY

• Locked thread