Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Mezzanine posted:

Maybe I misunderstood some of the CBO analysis, could someone help me out here?

My takeaway was that the "23 million" was basically a combination of:
1) People pushed off insurance due to pre-existing conditions
2) People opting to not get insurance when premiums will go up sharply next year

Am I missing something here?

People being pushed off of Medicaid and not being able to afford private insurance.

Edit for Dog

AbsolutelySane fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mustached Demon posted:

You joke but that's exactly what that Ayn Rand fanboy thinks.

They have the LIBERTY not to buy a house if they don't want to. It's all about everyone being allowed to make the choices that are best for them!

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Guys I think that the poster who paid :10bux: for an account named "ThisIsWhyTrumpWon" and posts dumb things in the Trump thread isn't interested in having thoughtful and insightful discussions. In fact, I have this strange nagging feeling that this poster actually is dumb and maybe, y'know, possibly, is trying to troll?

Just a thought.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

I lost track on where we're at with the whole "ok hand sign = white power" thing. I know it started as a 4chan troll, it got some media people to bite but has it crossed over to it being used unironically now? Or is it still all just for a laugh, cause why "lol racism"?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mezzanine posted:

Maybe I misunderstood some of the CBO analysis, could someone help me out here?

My takeaway was that the "23 million" was basically a combination of:
1) People pushed off insurance due to pre-existing conditions
2) People opting to not get unable to afford insurance when premiums will go up sharply next year

Am I missing something here?

Corrected.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BlueberryCanary posted:

Guys I think that the poster who paid :10bux: for an account named "ThisIsWhyTrumpWon" and posts dumb things in the Trump thread isn't interested in having thoughtful and insightful discussions. In fact, I have this strange nagging feeling that this poster actually is dumb and maybe, y'know, possibly, is trying to troll?

Just a thought.

It's migf so yes they're interested in discussing everything. Especially deep dish.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Whatever you do, don't look up how old Bernie Sanders is.

I'll trade Bernie Sanders for no more Mccain or Mcconell :colbert:.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ginette Reno posted:

I'll trade Bernie Sanders for no more Mccain or Mcconell :colbert:.

Age isn't the issue with McCain or McConnell. They have always been horrible people.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Greenwald is a civil libertarian you dummies.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Elotana posted:

Greenwald is a civil libertarian you dummies.

He's a useless imbecile, is what he is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I initially misread it as "brain sits down with speaker ryan" and I think that's a much better headline

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Most of the people he criticizes on Twitter are signal-boosting Louise Mensch level poo poo which will get you yelled at in here too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

He's a useless imbecile, is what he is.

Ehh. He's done a lot of good work and he also has some really bad opinions and political views.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I initially misread it as "brain sits down with speaker ryan" and I think that's a much better headline

'Discusses why it just had to leave after years of neglect.'

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
who is migf.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/FoxReports/status/879715094913048576

He's gonna vote for it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WHOOPS posted:

I lost track on where we're at with the whole "ok hand sign = white power" thing. I know it started as a 4chan troll, it got some media people to bite but has it crossed over to it being used unironically now? Or is it still all just for a laugh, cause why "lol racism"?

You've basically described anything that comes out of 4chan. Poe's Law is a hell of a thing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious poo poo poster and mayor of Chicago.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Dietrich posted:

Corrected.

Yeah, I was a little facetious there.

Thanks all for the corrections. What exactly do they mean by being "pushed off Medicaid", then? People who get Medicaid (money to pay for health care services) will in some cases get less (none?) due to changes in the rules for eligibility made at the state level, right?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Age isn't the issue with McCain or McConnell. They have always been horrible people.

Yeah I know I'm just raging into the void.

Is there a reason this thing might have trouble even getting past the procedural vote? Is that just the five or six Republicans who are against this's way of saying that it's so incredibly lovely they don't even want to let it get to a vote?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mezzanine posted:

Thanks all for the corrections. What exactly do they mean by being "pushed off Medicaid", then? People who get Medicaid (money to pay for health care services) will in some cases get less (none?) due to changes in the rules for eligibility made at the state level, right?
You know how you have to renew your insurance every year?

Now you can't.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 27, 2017

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mcmagic posted:

McConnell marched with MLK. His species are not known for their speed so for all we know he might still be marching.

Not that it made him a good person at that time, but you'd expect him to have been on the other side.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

McConnell marched with MLK. His species are not known for their speed so for all we know he might still be marching.

Not that it made him a good person at that time, but you'd expect him to have been on the other side.

The man is pure evil. Anything he did, he did because he thought he would accrue political favor from it. The only thing he cares about is maintaining power.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

And so the great knee-bending begins/continues.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mezzanine posted:

It axes Medicaid funding to states something fierce. Therefore the states lower the Medicaid threshold to compensate. The results millions of poors who can't afford healthcare. Bonus points if they're on Medicaid for being disabled.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

How often do people jump ship to look like they're on the winning side while still harboring poo poo views

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sloober posted:

How often do people jump ship to look like they're on the winning side while still harboring poo poo views

He has no views or ideology. The only thing he cares about is power.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you elaborate on "red tape"? I don't see how it'd be any more complicated than what most poelpe already deal with health insurance wise. And I'm just wondering if it's allowable and doable in the strictest sense. Like, could a put up a Craigslist ad that says "Uninsured? Pool needed for group health insurance plan. The more people the lower the cost".

No medical underwriter would ever offer coverage (at rates you could afford) since the selection risk is so high. Employer paid plans are as close as you can get to a "random sample" of the population that has some kind of organized way to pay premiums. As an insurer, how much would you want to cover a group of people that can't otherwise get insurance?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

WHOOPS posted:

Supposedly started as a "joke to trigger libtards", then moved on to "haha we're in on the joke" and used by "secret" alt-right White Supremacists, now it's just straight up used by actual White Supremacists with a few people claiming "it started as a joke" as defense when it this get's pointed out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

yeah, everyone suffers from this to a degree, the halo effect - things you like you assume are good in all respects, things you dislike you think are bad in all respects - but some people really have it bad and basically can't get over it and things must be Completely Good or Completely Bad and they'll ignore things that contradict whatever one they've selected

These people need to go to therapy. I'm being serious, one of the key things a therapist can help with is excessive/unreasonable black-and-white thinking.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Abbe Lowell was the lawyer for the House democrats during Clinton's impeachment trial, as well as being the lawyer for John Edwards, Jim Wright, and Dan Rostenkowski.

Nothing says "draining the swamp" more than when your Son-in-Law hires John Edward's lawyer to protect himself from getting his host of sweetheart foreign loans investigated.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

BiggerBoat posted:

Can 100 people just get together and buy a group plan? Genuinely curious because certainly someone must have thought of this before.
I'm guessing the biggest roadblock is either cost or a central point of responsibility.

Via employer plans, the company is "responsible" for their contributions and yours too (via payroll).

With 100 individuals, who is the single point of contact? Who is going to be responsible for collecting the money from all "subscribers" and sending that in on a scheduled basis? Do all individuals trust that this person will indeed do that instead of spending their money on blow and hookers?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

Abbe Lowell was the lawyer for the House democrats during Clinton's impeachment trial, as well as being the lawyer for John Edwards, Jim Wright, and Dan Rostenkowski.

Nothing says "draining the swamp" more than when your Son-in-Law hires John Edward's lawyer to protect himself from getting his host of sweetheart foreign loans investigated.
I primarily know of Abbe Lowell through the Tony Kornheiser Show where he's referred to as "the smartest man in Washington."

Living up to that soulless lawyer stereotype though.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Sloober posted:

How often do you breathe?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

It axes Medicaid funding to states something fierce. Therefore the states lower the Medicaid threshold to compensate. The results millions of poors who can't afford healthcare. Bonus points if they're on Medicaid for being disabled.

OK, so it's just basically a decrease in funding. So, "allow insurance companies to raise rates and deny coverage" + "stop giving money to states for Medicaid". Wow. So, rich people get a tax cut, and Trump - along with everyone else that hates Obama - get to say that "It's not Obamacare! Woo!" JFC

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
that wittes bomb finally dropped

https://twitter.com/ajc/status/879541363062312960

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Georgia really is the biggest poo poo hole

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DC Murderverse posted:

I saw Tommy Vietor post on Twitter that the stuff in this article is still very much true and that the journalists resigning is bullshit (not that it didn't happen, but that it shouldn't have had to happen). My guess is that somewhere down the line we'll see these guys be vindicated and get a nice job somewhere else. CNN has some individual journalists doing good work (shouts to Tapper, Cooper, Acosta and others) but Jeff Zucker is a loving pussy who fired Reza Aslan for speaking the truth on twitter and should gently caress off back to network television where he belongs. (Vietor has also been Twitter-yelling at the WHPC for rolling over while the White House cuts press access and briefings)

Did he lay out exactly how it was still supported? Because that would be nice to have at hand.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BootStrap posted:

How often do you breathe?

I am dead, for i never breathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/879720322563538944

• Locked thread