Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

They have the exact same number of points over the last 190 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I am so hype to see what kind of deal someone throws to Girardi lmao

(It's funny because NYR bought him out of the terrible deal they gave him, you see)

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
just like to enter this argument with no actual data: i saw Gaudreau once, and he was really good. i pick Gaudreau

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

They have the exact same number of points over the last 190 games

190? ~2.5 seasons?

Nice spin.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yakupov is crazy fast and quick and has good hands and a great shot and he tries so drat hard and is just really, really bad at hockey despite all of this.

I was a huge cheerleader for him when he got to the Blues and it took a while for me to admit that he just isn't an NHL player. It had nothing to do with Hitchcock or Yeo or forward depth or the position of the moon or the outcome of WWII, he just isn't very good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Yakupov is crazy fast and quick and has good hands and a great shot and he tries so drat hard and is just really, really bad at hockey despite all of this.

I was a huge cheerleader for him when he got to the Blues and it took a while for me to admit that he just isn't an NHL player. It had nothing to do with Hitchcock or Yeo or forward depth or the position of the moon or the outcome of WWII, he just isn't very good.

If he had been drafted 22nd overall no one would give him a second thought.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

190? ~2.5 seasons?

Nice spin.

Gaudreau over his career is a 2.07 P/60 player, Scheifele over that timeframe is 2.18

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bewbies posted:

All the skill in the world and no hockey IQ.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Can we get back to your other dumb opinion though that you share with Kelly Hrudey? Cause that's what's actually important.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope Yakupov makes it back just so we can get more life out of this.

I blame the Oilers for ruining him. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha i missed that yak gif

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Vegas reportedly trying to trade Emelin and Sbida

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone will bite on Emelin.

Holland will gladly take Sbisa off their hands.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Levitate posted:

Vegas reportedly trying to trade Emelin and Sbida

Someone wished Emelin off the Habs. It happened. Now Bergevin will trade for Sbisa.

A finger curls on a monkey's paw.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

If any team lands 2 of Emelin, Sbisa, and Girardi... well, just G-d bless that team. Bonus points if they are on the same pairing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yak did have 31 points in 48 games once upon a time. You'd think a good coach could get something out of that. Going to St. Louis was a horrible place for a guy like him to go. Hitch is death to young players.

He's so bad now though that he probably needs a coach to completely break his game down and remake him into something else and I don't know if any team has the patience to do that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He put up points under Todd Nelson as well with Derek Roy of all people centering him, which is why I think Phoenix would make sense for him should Nelson land there as coach.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Yak did have 31 points in 48 games once upon a time. You'd think a good coach could get something out of that. Going to St. Louis was a horrible place for a guy like him to go. Hitch is death to young players.

He's so bad now though that he probably needs a coach to completely break his game down and remake him into something else and I don't know if any team has the patience to do that.

Devils, Coyotes, Canucks... they're all desperate for young scoring. Maybe even Nashville. Slot him into Neal's spot and see what happens.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Ginette Reno posted:

ak bars kazan

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

ak bars kazan

That doesn't really fit the making him into another kind of player thing

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Bring Yak to Toronto and have him play with the young fast guys in Babs' all fast all offense system and see what happens. Worse comes to worse Josh Leivo outplays him and we waive him. Best case is he finds chemistry with one of the rookies and lights it the gently caress up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

This kind of thinking led the Leafs to trade Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

That doesn't really fit the making him into another kind of player thing

Anyone in the NHL who goes to Russia is instantly better, comparatively.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

This kind of thinking led the Leafs to trade Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft.

It also led to Justin Schultz and Ian Cole being back to back Champs.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Technetium posted:

Bring Yak to Toronto and have him play with the young fast guys in Babs' all fast all offense system and see what happens. Worse comes to worse Josh Leivo outplays him and we waive him. Best case is he finds chemistry with one of the rookies and lights it the gently caress up.

that... kinda seems like a good idea

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Aphrodite posted:

Anyone in the NHL who goes to Russia is instantly better, comparatively.

Marcel Hossa superstar

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It also led to Justin Schultz and Ian Cole being back to back Champs.

Sure, and I wouldn't mind Yak. He's a no risk signing considering he'll be a free agent, but it's almost like people expect he'll suddenly round into form as a top six scorer if given the opportunity. He's a 4th line forward and not a very good one, people really need to temper their expectations on him.

stab posted:

Marcel Hossa superstar

I have zero memory of Marcel Hossa as a player, but I will never forget the "Marcel Hossa can't connect to the internet" post and that guy trying to get Hossa to find his modem and thinking he'd done that, only to realize after a couple minutes he was describing the base of his telephone.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 27, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Sure, and I wouldn't mind Yak. He's a no risk signing considering he'll be a free agent, but it's almost like people expect he'll suddenly round into form as a top six scorer if given the opportunity. He's a 4th line forward and not a very good one, people really need to temper their expectations on him.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I feel like if you have the ability to score 15-20 goals once, you can do it again. Taking a flyer on the kid with the hope he can be a 2nd or 3rd line quality forward when he's shown that ability in the past isn't too crazy. I agree him living up to his pre-draft hype isn't happening, though. But I'd be excited if Calgary offered him a deal.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah I don't think it's fair to set any expectations for him being that but I wouldn't write off a guy of his talent until he's over 30. Odds are he's a bust because most guys don't turn it around after being so lovely in what should be their prime years but there are definitely teams that are so offensively starved they should make that gamble.

Instead lovely teams will continue giving a ton of ice time to gritty two-way players who have no talent or future in the league but hey at least they play the game the right way or whatever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Technetium posted:

a false posted:

that... kinda seems like a good idea

it really does, that could be fun to watch

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Yak's QO was something like 3.5M. How low is he realistically willing to go on salary, particularly if he thinks he can get more money in the KHL? I don't know if the circles of Money Yak is Willing to Take and Money NHL Teams Are Willing to Offer have a lot of overlap.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I can't speak for anybody else, but I feel like if you have the ability to score 15-20 goals once, you can do it again. Taking a flyer on the kid with the hope he can be a 2nd or 3rd line quality forward when he's shown that ability in the past isn't too crazy. I agree him living up to his pre-draft hype isn't happening, though. But I'd be excited if Calgary offered him a deal.

Awwww yeah, you want a former 15-20 goal scorer? See if you can't get yourself a fine Tyler Kennedy.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
https://twitter.com/BenRaby31/status/879724515349155840

Eeeeexcellent

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
This is a weird FA season where it's just all of us in here hoping our team doesn't sign anyone of the available players.

NHL offseason FA - no news is good news.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Wonderllama posted:

This is a weird FA season where it's just all of us in here hoping our team doesn't sign anyone of the available players.

There's upwards of five players I want the Leafs to go after and if I know the Leafs they aren't pursuing any of them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I would like the Oilers to sign a Sam Gagner.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

It's a pretty awful FA crop. I can't wait to see what team gives Bonino way too much money. *checks watch* Oh poo poo it might be the Penguins

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nah someone's going to give Bonino like $5.5 mil to play second line and the Penguins will be safe

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yak's shooting percentage in his 31-point-in-48-games, 17 goal season was 21%, so no, he can't do it again. Seriously, it should be the first thing you check with a guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If he shot 21 once he can do it again.

• Locked thread