Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This season was so short that I was wondering why there wasn't an episode yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was such a dumb oblivious kid in middle school. It never occurred to me how hosed up those books were until I looked up at my parents faces after I finished reading my book report to them. It was the one where the high school perv timed a camera to take pics of the girls locker room shower and accidentally took pictures of a murder. Also cocaine was involved somehow.

Just remembered the book where the protagonist is killed while getting an abortion by the spirit of her fetus who was the reincarnation of the school outcast.

Slightly less off topic, there was also a book where the heroine gives birth to an incarnation of Kali while some other kid who is a reincarnation of Jesus/Krishna is running around.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jeoh posted:

Vulcan, God of Rocketry :science:

Please please please let S2 have a faded-glory Rocket God who got his rocks off in the 50s and 60s killing astronauts...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

Odin cursed him and everything he did

I assumed that's what the curse was for as well, to prevent Vulcan from immediately resurrecting due to all his works being out there with his worship base in full force. I mean if killing a god was just as easy as slaying them with that sword then Odin had all three of them right there at the Easter party, there has to be more to it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

McSpanky posted:

I assumed that's what the curse was for as well, to prevent Vulcan from immediately resurrecting due to all his works being out there with his worship base in full force. I mean if killing a god was just as easy as slaying them with that sword then Odin had all three of them right there at the Easter party, there has to be more to it.

They made a big deal of how Vulcan pledged to Odin, even if he was just paying lip-service, contracts between gods seem to have some binding effect. Maybe accepting Odin as overlord is what allowed Vulcan to be slayed by him: joining his pantheon made him a subject to Odin's rules?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

skull mask mcgee posted:

This 4chan kid I used to go to school with was extremely into Tyler The Creator so i'm assuming technical kid is as well.

"Shadow, do you see that record store?"
"The lovely one?"
"Yes, the lovely one. I want you to go in there and buy a vinyl copy of In The Aeroplane Over the Sea. It's the only way to get him to go away."

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII love you Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Cuh-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was such a dumb oblivious kid in middle school. It never occurred to me how hosed up those books were until I looked up at my parents faces after I finished reading my book report to them. It was the one where the high school perv timed a camera to take pics of the girls locker room shower and accidentally took pictures of a murder. Also cocaine was involved somehow.

I'm ok with this book talk.

What book was this?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jeoh posted:

Vulcan, God of Rocketry :science:

He'd clearly be the god of radial tires. And hockey pucks.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

bondetamp posted:

I'm ok with this book talk.

What book was this?

The first Google result maybe?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They made a big deal of how Vulcan pledged to Odin, even if he was just paying lip-service, contracts between gods seem to have some binding effect. Maybe accepting Odin as overlord is what allowed Vulcan to be slayed by him: joining his pantheon made him a subject to Odin's rules?

Also don't forget that it was a god (of general violence and war) murdering another god with a sword made by a god of making stuff and also murder. A sword that was symbolically made to be used symbolically for killing other (newer) gods. It's all about symbolism. That's why Wednesday pisses on the forge. It's not going to directly hurt anything, but pissing on something is a pretty old way of telling someone to gently caress off.

skull mask mcgee posted:

This 4chan kid I used to go to school with was extremely into Tyler The Creator so i'm assuming technical kid is as well.

I dunno poo poo about Tyler the Creator, but vaporwave is probably the most bleeding edge level of irony that I feel fits the guy perfectly. Maybe it would be vaporwave of dubstep.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 26, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I could see a cameo appearance of a 'god of the atom' showing up as a fading god on the 'new gods' side. 'Duck and cover' being a parallel to getting on your knees and praying, all the 'healthful radiation' products that existed back in the early 1900s, etc.

I think some people earlier in the thread that 'belief'/'religion' for these characters doesn't necessarily mean actual 'get down on your knees' praying to something, it just needs to be conscious sacrifice of some sort and ritual.

Media, of course, arises from people who watch something 'religiously'. Nobody really 'believes' in smartphones but Technical Boy exists because people will sacrifice their money to get the latest bit of tech, will organise themselves into Google v Apple, will work together and commit CPU cycles to DDOS someone they don't like, etc.

As mentioned upthread, the new gods seem a little off because the old ones have legends told about them and are conceptualised as having human desires and thoughts, whereas the new gods are basically faking the humanity they have. Mr World's minions are the closest they get - literally 'faceless replacable goons'.

Also those faceless goons had great choreography in the finale.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

This reminds me of the pseudo April Fools joke about the Church of Google. Google is the closest thing to omnipotence that human beings will ever encounter and should totally be a god on American Gods.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Media should be an old god.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Balthesar posted:

Media should be an old god.

For real. She should be the only old god that's thriving, she's been in existence for hundreds of years. Arguably since the printing press.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Compared with the Old Gods she's just getting her drivers license.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

WampaLord posted:

For real. She should be the only old god that's thriving, she's been in existence for hundreds of years. Arguably since the printing press.

Yeah, do y'all know how long Odin has been around?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Makes me wonder about tech boy. Is there a new god of New Stuff every decade? Are there hundreds of his predecessors clinging to life from the handful of greybeards who still obsess over the technology of that era?

Perhaps he has only come into existence over the last century or so as tech has advanced more rapidly than ever before. Even a century-old god is still a bratty teenager to someone as old as the printing press.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The new gods are probably able to quickly adapt to new trends to keep up their followers.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Javid posted:

Makes me wonder about tech boy. Is there a new god of New Stuff every decade? Are there hundreds of his predecessors clinging to life from the handful of greybeards who still obsess over the technology of that era?

Perhaps he has only come into existence over the last century or so as tech has advanced more rapidly than ever before. Even a century-old god is still a bratty teenager to someone as old as the printing press.

Dean Winters as the Beeper God.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Javid posted:

SNES God just got a huge surge of faith and he doesn't know why.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

The printing press is just over five hundred years old... Jesus is 4 times older than the printing press. Odin dates back to like, at least a thousand BCE.

Bilquis (The Queen of Sheba), is likely younger than that, but definitely older than 550 BCE. Which is about when The (Gautama) Buddha happened.

The Greek gods are probably about as old as Odin, but maybe slightly younger.

By comparison, the ancient Egyptian Gods are like, 3,000 BCE at least, because that's when regional dieties got assembled into a pantheon. So Anubis and Ibis are probably twice as old as Odin.

It's entirely possible than Anansi is far older than any of them, because oral traditions of African mythology don't leave much dateable archeological evidence.

I am not an expert, but I think this is a ballpark correct timeline of most of the gods in the show. if anyone has corrections, please let me know.

Obviously, for many of them, we're dealing with prehistorical religion, so they could be much older than evidence indicates.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Javid posted:

You need sacrifice and ritual to create and power a god. Most 'fandoms' would probably count except they don't have enough critical mass. The tension is between the old gods who have not that many followers but have genuine belief and ritual, and the new ones who have diffused belief amongst a bunch of people but still have the ritual in a sense.

I don't think there were enough people to be 'devoted' to the printing press - and with the Bible being one of the first things created, a lot of it probably just got assigned to the Abrahamic god.

I put forth the 'god of the Atom' as someone who could feasibly be a new god, and electricity or steam might conceivably be that too if there was sufficient mysticism about them back in the day. There would absolutely 100% positively be a god of railroads because you have plenty of sacrifice and ritual there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

Since Town Cryers or staged performances possibly?

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Since Town Cryers or staged performances possibly?

If you want to get real broad with the interpretation Media could be the oldest god of them all--the very concept of human communication and culture. (But as the persona of mass media she probably came into being with the broadsheet)

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope media does a face turn and joins the old goods.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

bewilderment posted:

You need sacrifice and ritual to create and power a god. Most 'fandoms' would probably count except they don't have enough critical mass. The tension is between the old gods who have not that many followers but have genuine belief and ritual, and the new ones who have diffused belief amongst a bunch of people but still have the ritual in a sense.

I don't think there were enough people to be 'devoted' to the printing press - and with the Bible being one of the first things created, a lot of it probably just got assigned to the Abrahamic god.

I put forth the 'god of the Atom' as someone who could feasibly be a new god, and electricity or steam might conceivably be that too if there was sufficient mysticism about them back in the day. There would absolutely 100% positively be a god of railroads because you have plenty of sacrifice and ritual there.

America's most powerful God has to be Fast Food: not only is it ritualized and literally worshipped with shrines and idols, but between diabetes, heart disease, and everything else it certainly has the largest death toll.

The runner up would be the Automobile: a close second in the sacrifice race. Big Tobacco is definitely high on the list.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The god of vehicles needs to be a transformer.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Is Cancer a god? People don't "worship" it per se, but they do personify it by saying things like "gently caress cancer" or "I beat cancer." And it certainly has a sacrifice pool.

Maybe you could argue modern medicine "worships" it in the sense of treating it like it's the ultimate thing to be conquered. A New God version of Pestilence, if you will.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

WampaLord posted:

This might have something to do with it:

The kind of wide-spread mass consumption/appreciation that the new gods seem to feed on would only have been available for her since the year ~1900 tops.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

10% of the world ain't nothing to sniff at. Lots of religions right now with less than that share. Like, say, Judaism.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

WampaLord posted:

10% of the world ain't nothing to sniff at. Lots of religions right now with less than that share. Like, say, Judaism.

Yes, but that's active worship, which apparently counts for far more in this mythos.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
started watching orange is the new black, fun to see sweeney again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

started watching orange is the new black, fun to see sweeney again

You should stop watching after the first or second season, it just gets bad.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cojawfee posted:

You should stop watching after the first or second season, it just gets bad.

Yeah I keep hearing that, feels like a dark cloud creeping over the sun of my enjoyment of this first season :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah I keep hearing that, feels like a dark cloud creeping over the sun of my enjoyment of this first season :(

IMO it stays funny, just recognize that it's a goofy sitcom and not a serious business prison drama like some people seem to expect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

IMO it stays funny, just recognize that it's a goofy sitcom and not a serious business prison drama like some people seem to expect.

The show itself forgets to be funny in the fifth season.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That all said Mary Sweenburgen would be a great choice if an older Gaelic god were introduced, or even if the Will Ferrell's Mom god was introduced.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
If you want more Sweeney watch a good show, The Wire, instead.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

If you want more Sweeney watch a good show, The Wire, instead.

I've resigned to never watching the wire, its just not gonna happen in this life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The area of Baltimore that season 2 of The Wire mainly deals with is now like, yuppie douchebro central. It's honestly kind of depressing.