Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

:homebrew:

People are investing thousands and thousands of dollars with thought processes like this. It's freaking insane.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Man, I really wish someone was able to do a big retrospective on how well the different video cards held up to the constant 24/7 load placed on them by people mining buttcoins. In theory as long as the various components are kept below the 80% max temp rating, they should last years and years, but with how hot spots work, and how close to that level the cards are out of the box, who knows what odd failure cases people will see on those used cards.

I hope I can get a super cheap 1070 with a transferable warranty for my CAD machine.

Also, I downloaded nicehash just for shits and giggles, and my 980t is at like 3.18/day. This reminds me of the original buttcoin mining craze, when GPU miners were first becoming a thing, and "to the MOON!" meant like $100/coin, and the difficulty race to the bottom as forbes and newsweek learned about buttcoins was amazing to witness.

Also, the proof of stake system they want to switch over to will be amazing to see, the tiniest fuckup in the implementation and they can recreate the DAO, except worse. Depending on how they set it up, if they allow stakeholders in automatically, you could get a use-case where 60-70% of all the stakeholders are bad actors, and kick all the other stakeholders out for mining invalid blocks, then run the poo poo-show into the ground and transfer all the ill gotten Eth gains into dozen of altcoin mixer accounts.

Edit: Ebaying the old-rear end 290x I have as a loaner/doner card for troubleshooting now. :pureprofit:

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 27, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
How much memory do you officially need to mine ETH? The number I saw was 1 GB a while ago, but I'm seeing people in this thread talk about it being 3-4 GB. Is there any sort of online chart or calculator? Desperately looking for a non-guesswork reference for the book.

(preorder page set up last night, now stuck in preorder approval hell ... waiting ... waiting ...)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is the difference in cost between 1 and 3-4 GB of RAM?
Are people really trying to save a few bucks when they just dropped 4k on a bunch of GPUs?
Or are you talking about VRAM cause none of the cards with 1gb have hashrates anywhere near being worth using.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Fauxtool posted:

Are people really trying to save a few bucks when they just dropped 4k on a bunch of GPUs?
Or are you talking about VRAM cause none of the cards with 1gb have hashrates anywhere near being worth using.

I'm talking about how much memory the hashing algorithm needs right now for best results, yeah.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4gb is the recommended minimum which may go up in the future.
That said a lot of the recommendations for minimum RAM are back when you could still mine on CPU. Im pretty sure it uses VRAM if you are mining on a GPU.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 27, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Fauxtool posted:

Etherium requires you hash chunks of of data pseudo-randomly selected from a generated set of 1GB+8mb per 30,000 blocks - currently just a hair over 2GB. You can't just pick that data in advance, because the nonce for the guess is part of the random seed that tells you what data to hash.

Hash the nonce with the block data, use that to randomly determine some chunks of data to hash, that's your value. The data generation is expensive enough that you can't reasonably do it on-the-fly to mine, but cheap enough that the limited number of bytes you need to verify a block are manageable even on mobile.

Even though the DAG is over 2 GB, 2GB cards can still mine for now. I'm not sure how they're doing it. Overflow to system RAM for some parts of the dataset, maybe? It's not something that will be viable for long.

4GB cards will last longer than etherium.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

divabot posted:

How much memory do you officially need to mine ETH? The number I saw was 1 GB a while ago, but I'm seeing people in this thread talk about it being 3-4 GB. Is there any sort of online chart or calculator? Desperately looking for a non-guesswork reference for the book.

(preorder page set up last night, now stuck in preorder approval hell ... waiting ... waiting ...)

Per here, the DAG is currently 2.1ish GB, expected to hit 3gb around April 2018. You can do the computation yourself following the instructions here.

This may all change when they switch to a Proof of Stake system, since that would also be the time to address the transaction scaling issue and several other problems a high cost proof of work system has.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's using 2.2GB of system RAM for each of my 980s mining currently.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kt88 posted:

I was seriously getting a mining rig together as I happen to have a newish 1070 and an old 290 which appeared to both be good cards for mining. Read this thread over the past week and changed my mind. Just sold both cards last night for stupid money and placed an order for a 1080ti using the proceeds. Thanks guys.

This is literally the first thing in the loving OP

I am still building a new Pc with 2 GPUs that I wasn't using but it's for a relative and it's for gaming instead of mining

eames
May 9, 2009

Sapphire and Asus announce mining cards, timing is spot on

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11579/asus-sapphire-release-pascal-and-polarisbased-cryptocurrency-mining-cards-

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Got my first whopping completely free $27 deposit guys. all this free money makes it all worth it

edit: I discovered yesterday that for mining purposes my 1070 and 1080 can both take a huge memory overclock that otherwise is not stable (or even close to stable) for gaming. Over +1600 mhz on the 1080, +1200 mhz on the 1070.

I have run into another issue with my 1070 (which is the main card that runs 24/7) does not hold an OC of any kind, no matter how mild, after about a day. I dont know why this is, its not rebooting or crashing, Afterburner is still there and the profile is still up but I have to click "apply" again.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 27, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

Got my first whopping completely free $27 deposit guys. all this free money makes it all worth it

That's a lotta burrito! 🌯🕺🏻

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I have $250 sitting in my coinbase now and I should be happy but all I can think about is how it should be $350 or whatevs but the bitcoin price is way down :negative:

At least my cards are selling on ebay so this whole thing is a pretty big net positive money wise, was able to make some decent money mining and still sell the cards for inflated prices.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 27, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

1gnoirents posted:

edit: I discovered yesterday that for mining purposes my 1070 and 1080 can both take a huge memory overclock that otherwise is not stable (or even close to stable) for gaming. Over +1600 mhz on the 1080, +1200 mhz on the 1070.

Yeah I discovered that a couple days ago, you can just peg the memory slider all the way to the right it's pretty sweet. Overclocking seems to help the 1070 more for some reason too, it brought the card from like 400 Sol/s to 510 Sol/s in Equihash whereas my 1080 Ti didn't see those kind of gains.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Should i go back in time and buy eth at $400 a coin?

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is literally the first thing in the loving OP

I am still building a new Pc with 2 GPUs that I wasn't using but it's for a relative and it's for gaming instead of mining

The first thing in the OP says don't be a dummy and invest money, which I wasn't even if I had mined. The thread subtitle gave me all the clues though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Where's the bitcoin nosediving gif when you need it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

PerrineClostermann posted:

I want my currency to constantly be changing in value and be treated as a commodity. Numbers must go up!

In another bitcoin thread someone had found bitcoiners yelling at a coffee shop owner for doing bitcoin transactions because he was filling up bitcoin's transaction limit and that was tantamount to "littering".

currency of the future

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Man, I really wish someone was able to do a big retrospective on how well the different video cards held up to the constant 24/7 load placed on them by people mining buttcoins. In theory as long as the various components are kept below the 80% max temp rating, they should last years and years, but with how hot spots work, and how close to that level the cards are out of the box, who knows what odd failure cases people will see on those used cards.
A few vendors released dedicated crypto mining cards lately and they have a warranty only 180 days long

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So Monero is down to $39 a coin, yet somehow it's still in the top 10 overtaking Zcash, Stratis, and Waves...what?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1gnoirents posted:

I have run into another issue with my 1070 (which is the main card that runs 24/7) does not hold an OC of any kind, no matter how mild, after about a day. I dont know why this is, its not rebooting or crashing, Afterburner is still there and the profile is still up but I have to click "apply" again.

Yeah, i've seen the same thing. I think its the ether miner crashing the nvidia display driver occasionally, which kicks the clocks back to fail-safe. Doesnt seem to happen if nicehash is mining anything else.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

Lower your OC, it's crashing after a certain amount of time and reverting to stock clocks.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

Lower your OC, it's crashing after a certain amount of time and reverting to stock clocks.

I haven't messed with it enough to be confident but it was doing this with a very minor OC, like running in the 1800's on core clock and barely any memory OC. In comparison, it'll run just fine in the 1900's+ and six times the memory OC ... for about a day. But unlike crashes I'm used to, this doesnt even reboot the computer or give me a driver failed dialog, in fact it doesn't even zero out the Afterburner sliders themselves. Its strange but not all that important I suppose, maybe ill try like a +1 overclock and see if it does the same thing. I also changed over to the 2.0.0.7 alpha build

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Whelp, I'm out. Turning off nicehash and cashing out my tens of dollars.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a hacky solution to getting P0 state under compute with Pascal. Remember the bug with mismatched monitor refresh rates and locking Nvidia GPUs to high power states? It overrides the slowdown that compute normally causes. If you have a 120Hz monitor and anything else to plug in if you set one to 120 and another to 60 you'll get the full memory speed. One weird tip if it's ever worth it to mine again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

I haven't messed with it enough to be confident but it was doing this with a very minor OC, like running in the 1800's on core clock and barely any memory OC. In comparison, it'll run just fine in the 1900's+ and six times the memory OC ... for about a day. But unlike crashes I'm used to, this doesnt even reboot the computer or give me a driver failed dialog, in fact it doesn't even zero out the Afterburner sliders themselves. Its strange but not all that important I suppose, maybe ill try like a +1 overclock and see if it does the same thing. I also changed over to the 2.0.0.7 alpha build

I'm pretty sure you're being exactly the guy everyone is worried about buying a pre-broken used 1070 from in two months

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9deSVpjm1Kk

Just in time for a market crash

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bitcoins taking bad packaging to all new levels.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What will these things be useful for in 2 months? Discount entry-level deep learning GPUs? PhysX GPUs? What's a no-output no-warranty 1060 6GB worth? $60?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

What will these things be useful for in 2 months? Discount entry-level deep learning GPUs? PhysX GPUs? What's a no-output no-warranty 1060 6GB worth? $60?

An AMD mining card might be able to be used in CrossFire mode but since the 1060 doesn't have SLI fingers a card without display outputs is pretty much only going to be useful for compute tasks, whether mining butts, deep learning, or PhysX or whatever.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 27, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Arivia posted:

I'm pretty sure you're being exactly the guy everyone is worried about buying a pre-broken used 1070 from in two months

If a 1900 overclock concerns anybody I have some baaaaaaad news

Also if you care to notice I specifically placed my cards on Non-Conductive materials and ganged several PSU's together to spread the power load for a clean oxygen free sine wave power signal.

trust me im the last of your worries

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 27, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

If you really cared about power quality you'd use Diablotek PSUs, only the best.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

univbee posted:

People have been sacked for doing this with Bitcoin, just FYI.

I own my own business. I rent office space.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Paul MaudDib posted:

An RX 580 mining card might be able to be used in CrossFire mode but since the 1060 doesn't have SLI fingers a card without display outputs is pretty much only going to be useful for compute tasks, whether deep learning or PhysX or whatever.
I've been wondering the same thing.

If I were a miner (and I'm definitely not, I'm just saying), I would only buy the ones with a DVI output:

ASUS MINING-RX470-4G

Sapphire Radeon RX 560 Mining Edition 4GB

I think this is Sapphire too I don't know

COLORFUL P106-100 6GB

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

If a 1900 overclock concerns anybody I have some baaaaaaad news

Also if you care to notice I specifically placed my cards on Non-Conductive materials and ganged several PSU's together to spread the power load for a clean oxygen free sine wave power signal.

trust me im the last of your worries

I don't believe you

Btw does anyone know what's this retarded meme of typing "Hodl" instead of Hold

PS gotdang, Reddit really sucks

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
its a text replace

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Looks like there is a new ransomware spreading, http://thehackernews.com/2017/06/petya-ransomware-attack.html, which is demanding $300 in buttcoins. Time to see how the latest round of ransomware changes the flagging price of butts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arivia posted:

The 1070s are designed to fail gracefully if you overclock and they actually package the software to do it with the product. They literally market the ability to OC. Nothing he said it outside of the spec of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Rastor posted:

If I were a miner (and I'm definitely not, I'm just saying), I would only buy the ones with a DVI output:

ASUS MINING-RX470-4G

Sapphire Radeon RX 560 Mining Edition 4GB

I think this is Sapphire too I don't know

COLORFUL P106-100 6GB

Do you not have a monitor with a DP?

I find it really weird they're now releasing 'mining' cards with just a DVI port.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 27, 2017

• Locked thread