Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

I mean it's not a big deal(to me at least), but if you'd shown me that art I definitely would have guessed "burn spell" or maybe "LD/artifact destruction spell". The focus of that one feels to me like the bolt, while for the others it feels like the terrain to me

I remember seeing the illustration too before its card was revealed. I thought it was for a burn spell or an invocation too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The payoff of this card is so incredibly weak. This set is so boring.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Elyv posted:

iirc the deck had like a 35-40% winrate on modo after that gp

Yeah, something like that. That was one of the last articles that featured data analysis from the dailies. Wizards shortly after directly contacted mtggoldfish and said "stop analyzing this data and publishing the results" and later said that it was because it put too much load on the servers. I'm sure if we had the data it would show Temur Tower had a lovely winrate despite Wizards insisting it was tier 1.

Although, since they bugged someone about having too many draft decks in their mtgo account maybe they were being truthful about the server load

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Yea, this set feels like it's full of interesting but weak cards. Like that red enchantment could've been 'less than or equal to' and have been real strong.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Yup, bring on Pirates and Dinosaurs!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
A thing that will never happen:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

Yeah, something like that. That was one of the last articles that featured data analysis from the dailies. Wizards shortly after directly contacted mtggoldfish and said "stop analyzing this data and publishing the results" and later said that it was because it put too much load on the servers. I'm sure if we had the data it would show Temur Tower had a lovely winrate despite Wizards insisting it was tier 1.

Although, since they bugged someone about having too many draft decks in their mtgo account maybe they were being truthful about the server load

They weren't being truthful. The decision makers of WOTC do not want data like that in the public's hands. This comes from level headed leaders like Aaron Forsythe who says dumb poo poo like.....

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/869943977562198016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm such an angry, broken human being that I hope every booster box of Hour of Devastation comes with one of the ten plagues of Egypt.

I hope I get death of the first born.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've absolutely no clue what kind of deck would ever run Impending Doom.

...Temur Tower? :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

I've absolutely no clue what kind of deck would ever run Impending Doom.

...Temur Tower? :v:

Impending Doom is the obligatory lovely rare red enchantment with 10 lines of rules text

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the desert mechanic on cards is going to make this set boring to draft.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So it's Primeval Titan without the 6/6 and the repeatability and all the ways to cheat it out.

Still good in commander because of Cradle or Urborg+Coffers but drat it's one hell of a nerf.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

DangerDongs posted:

I think the desert mechanic on cards is going to make this set boring to draft.

Disagree. I think mechanics like this are well served by being the focus of the second set rather than the first and draft payoffs like this are fun and rewarding

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sickening posted:

They weren't being truthful. The decision makers of WOTC do not want data like that in the public's hands.
Well, R&D's balance philosophy is literally "just get the next set out the door before someone solves the format".

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Wow so in addition to the Crucible of Worlds guy being probably crazy in every other format looks like he's nuts in Limited too.

The blue Desert is very good, by the way. It lets you buckle down for a long game and guarantees inevitability without costing a real spot in your deck. Costing 1 life for blue mana is annoying but it taps for colorless for free. I'd say it's equivalent to the red one. It lets you finish people off but doesn't contribute to the game state, but that's fine because it's a land. The white and black one are both loving nuts. The green one is probably okay, the sorcery speed clause + high activation cost really hurts it though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

His NAME is Crucible Man.
And he is Animar's new best friend.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I'm pretty sure the green desert is the best because it is the same color as Crucible Snake

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm pretty sure the green desert is the best because it is the same color as Crucible Snake

you know it can only be used at sorcery speed, right

the black desert is the best by a huge margin, imo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

I'm such an angry, broken human being that I hope every booster box of Hour of Devastation comes with one of the ten plagues of Egypt.

I hope I get death of the first born.

Pretty convenient that you want the one that will never affect you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Desert cycle is trash just like this set is trash.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lone Goat posted:

Pretty convenient that you want the one that will never affect you.

I am the oldest in my family :ssh:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Off of spoiler chat ... I just started going through my collection and taking inventory via Scryglass (which is awesome if you haven't used it) and I was wondering what everyone's favorite card they own is.

Mine is currently my beta Gauntlet of Might. It just looks so coooooool.

Honorable mentions from past ownership is a Sol Ring I had Richard Garfield sign and alter to add 20 mana to my pool (when I asked him to alter it he flat out said 'What, it's not powerful enough?') and a Kjeldoran Outpost. I wish I still had those ones actually.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

So it's Primeval Titan without the 6/6 and the repeatability and all the ways to cheat it out.

Still good in commander because of Cradle or Urborg+Coffers but drat it's one hell of a nerf.

It costs 5.

Cards that cost 5 are less powerful than cards that cost 6.

Ranger's Path is weaker than this as it costs 4. Cultivate does less than that and costs 3. Rampant Growth costs 2 and does less still.

This is called the mana system.

Also lol acting like Prime Time is a reasonable baseline of power.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

I am the oldest in my family :ssh:

The joke was that you won't ever have any children because you're incel :tipshat:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lone Goat posted:

The joke was that you won't ever have any children because you're incel :tipshat:

The joke is that I wish I was dead because I'm too chicken poo poo to do it myself and need an act of God to do it for me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I thought she was a 3/10 but she was a 4/4 flier. loving Serra Stacies. :qq:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Elyv posted:

you know it can only be used at sorcery speed, right

the black desert is the best by a huge margin, imo

I am amending my assessment in light of new evidence

Black desert best desert, and it will make the Nest of Scarabs deck I insist on making that much better!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Lets Pickle posted:

The blue Desert is very good, by the way. It lets you buckle down for a long game and guarantees inevitability without costing a real spot in your deck..
So are you missing the part where you need to sacrifice deserts to activate the abilities of the new lands? Mill 4 once or twice a game isn't going to provide much reach (which at least the red land does).

E: Deserts are Black > Red > White > the other two

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/cascadegamesllc/status/879732398967148546

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

En Fuego posted:

Off of spoiler chat ... I just started going through my collection and taking inventory via Scryglass (which is awesome if you haven't used it) and I was wondering what everyone's favorite card they own is.

Mine is currently my beta Gauntlet of Might. It just looks so coooooool.

Honorable mentions from past ownership is a Sol Ring I had Richard Garfield sign and alter to add 20 mana to my pool (when I asked him to alter it he flat out said 'What, it's not powerful enough?') and a Kjeldoran Outpost. I wish I still had those ones actually.

I was (and still am I guess) very proud of the Japanese Goblin Piledriver I picked up while ONS was still in print. Not sure how tough it was to get non-English cards in the States in 2002 but I imagine it was tougher then than it is now, especially since I was a freshman in HS with almost no spending money.

I had a mint Judgment Burning Wish for a hot minute that looked like it was carved from a ruby, I wish I could have justified keeping it around just to look at. Definitely the prettiest card I've ever owned.

Wife is out of town for a couple days and I might take the opportunity to re-sort my collection while she's gone, I'm sure there's other cards I own but have forgotten about since I only have a few decks actually sleeved up these days.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

That art is fuckin dope

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Sickening posted:

I thought Ixalan looked even weaker than this set, given how few of the leaked rares/mythics look even remotely playable right now (and that's assuming Pirates end up a playable deck).

It's still not as bad or as boring as AER ended up being.

EDIT:

Tainen posted:

Endless Sands

Wonder if this is playable in standard as insurance against wraths/removal. You still lose the creature for a while, but you eventually can pop the land and bring it back.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 27, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

The joke is that I wish I was dead because I'm too chicken poo poo to do it myself and need an act of God to do it for me.

I'm down for an MTG suicide pact - you could say we'd be making our own cycle

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

Desert cycle is trash just like this set is trash.

Further proof Ixalan leaks were "allowed"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Reminds me of one of my favorite cards:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

the Orb of Zot posted:

I thought Ixalan looked even weaker than this set, given how few of the leaked rares/mythics look even remotely playable right now (and that's assuming Pirates end up a playable deck).

It's still not as bad or as boring as AER ended up being.

EDIT:

Wonder if this is playable in standard

No

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm down for an MTG suicide pact - you could say we'd be making our own cycle

No pacts because then there's an actual cost and consequence to my death.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

That art is fuckin dope
It's Noah Bradley, after all. :swoon:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The art made me blind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv