Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You always get paid back to the date of your original claim. I've had appeals pending since 2013 and if they come out in my favor i get backpay to then.

Go check with your VSO if you're overly concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mr. Nice! posted:

You always get paid back to the date of your original claim. I've had appeals pending since 2013 and if they come out in my favor i get backpay to then.

this. I got $4k in backpay when i got my disability instated

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean my original claim was the one that lapsed... They at first backpaid me six months back to the start of my second claim, waited a year, then backpaid the whole first claim out of nowhere.

I'm not going to touch or ask about it for a year... for now I'm coining it "Schrodinger's Cash"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hey. I'm trying to apply for a VA Loan but am curious if my VR bah will be allowed as income. I know 9/11 is not but they are two different programs.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Soulex posted:

Hey. I'm trying to apply for a VA Loan but am curious if my VR bah will be allowed as income. I know 9/11 is not but they are two different programs.

VR as in Voc Rehab? My understanding is that while Voc Rehab is Chapter 31, if you get BAH with it that is covered by the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill. Thanks a to court ruling a few years ago it no longer consumes your GI Bill if you are using Voc Rehab and getting BAH now.

I imagine that most mortgage companies would view it is a transient income since it will probably go away after a couple years. What they are typically looking for is just your permanent sources of income, which could include VA disability and SSDI if you get that, in addition to stable employment income.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Delizin posted:

VR as in Voc Rehab? My understanding is that while Voc Rehab is Chapter 31, if you get BAH with it that is covered by the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill. Thanks a to court ruling a few years ago it no longer consumes your GI Bill if you are using Voc Rehab and getting BAH now.

Uhhh pretty sure your understanding is flawed, because when I started Voc Rehab combined with Post-9/11 BAH a few months back I was told that it would be depleting my Chapter 33 benefits.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

Uhhh pretty sure your understanding is flawed, because when I started Voc Rehab combined with Post-9/11 BAH a few months back I was told that it would be depleting my Chapter 33 benefits.

I was told by my VR&E counselor that using Voc Rehab combined with Post 9/11 did not deplete my Chapter 33 benefits since I am use Voc Rehab first. I tried to pull up some resources and this seems to confirm it: http://www.disabledveterans.org/2013/10/30/va-voc-rehab-take-away-gi-bill/
http://3mc77e18jo7n1uk8m71my8ml.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Advisory-48-Month-Rule-Original-Claims-3.pdf

I couldn't find a hard source from the VA on this in a couple minutes of searching, but I'll take a look again later to confirm.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

So someone randomly revisited this and went out of their way to drop 16k in my lap... am I lucky as gently caress, or is Uncle Sam going to ask for it back the moment I find a way to spend it?

Most likely not, there's dozens of reasons why it's likely 100% legitimate (like you actually filed your claim and it kept being processed). Even if it's incorrect, it wasn't your fault they gave you that money and they'll usually just waive the debt in the off chance they actually go back and correct it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cult_hero posted:

Even if it's incorrect, it wasn't your fault they gave you that money and they'll usually just waive the debt in the off chance they actually go back and correct it.

Lmao

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

cult_hero posted:

Even if it's incorrect, it wasn't your fault they gave you that money and they'll usually just waive the debt in the off chance they actually go back and correct it.

:chanpop:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

cult_hero posted:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cult_hero posted:

Most likely not, there's dozens of reasons why it's likely 100% legitimate (like you actually filed your claim and it kept being processed). Even if it's incorrect, it wasn't your fault they gave you that money and they'll usually just waive the debt in the off chance they actually go back and correct it.

Holy loving :lol:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah even I know better than that, there was a thing on the daily Vice news a few month ago... found it:

https://news.vice.com/story/va-veterans-overpayment

Vice news posted:

The VA told VICE News there is no limit on how much it can ask a vet to repay, and no limit on how far back the agency is willing to go to collect overpayment debts.

Like I said, my payment is Schrodinger's Cash, it exists in a quantum superposition until I try to withdraw and spend it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 19, 2017

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Zero, just hop on ebenefits or call up a VSO. You should be able to pull up the decision letter where they decided to back pay you. On the disabilities page in ebenefits it should also say what the effective date of your disabilities is which should let you know if that is what they are back paying.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Delizin posted:

Zero, just hop on ebenefits or call up a VSO. You should be able to pull up the decision letter where they decided to back pay you. On the disabilities page in ebenefits it should also say what the effective date of your disabilities is which should let you know if that is what they are back paying.

Oh thanks, I can't find any decision letters on ebenefits, but on the page where it says I'm 70%, I do see they moved the effective date back to the start of 2015.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

they moved the effective date back to the start of 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFJBd40Awo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Delizin posted:

lol ebenefits

I haven't been able to access anything other than my name and address on ebenefits since fuckin' August.

I've contacted the VA many times about this and all I've gotten was "we'll look into it."

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

cult_hero posted:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

:perfect:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
So I just applied for my post 9/11 benefits through Vets.gov.

It was pretty straightforward and the user interface was actually pretty nice, but the weird thing was that it didn't ask me for any paperwork.

I applied for certificate of eligibility before for the post 9/11 through VONAPP but was only rated for 90% benefits and now that I've finished my service as an officer I'm eligible for 100%. Which is why I'm applying again.

Did I gently caress up by applying again even though I already had a certificate from 2015?
Also is it normal for it not to ask for any supporting document like DD214 etc... ?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Howard Phillips posted:

So I just applied for my post 9/11 benefits through Vets.gov.

It was pretty straightforward and the user interface was actually pretty nice, but the weird thing was that it didn't ask me for any paperwork.

I applied for certificate of eligibility before for the post 9/11 through VONAPP but was only rated for 90% benefits and now that I've finished my service as an officer I'm eligible for 100%. Which is why I'm applying again.

Did I gently caress up by applying again even though I already had a certificate from 2015?
Also is it normal for it not to ask for any supporting document like DD214 etc... ?

I would think you would just dispute the 90% if you're now eligible for 100%, as opposed to opening a new thing.

I'm sure when you signed up you put in your SSN somewhere... if they have that, they can see your DD214.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
https://operationcode.org is a site setup by a bunch of veteran volunteers to teach active duty / vets / military families how to code, by matching you to a mentor or group. There are coding bootcamps they have partnerships with that accept GI bill $$$ too and they work with you on how to get into those. I'm not a veteran so I can't speak on GI benefits and all that, but they have good info on how to apply benefits once you join.

My long-time business partner and friend, who was in the army, has a close working relationship with the founder and he seems like a solid guy with a genuine desire to see vets get into the field. Check out operationcode.org - and if you have any questions send them my way and I'll ask around. But 99.9% of issues they'll explain to anyone who joins their slack channel anyway.

If you're interested in coding join up, and if you already code consider contributing to their mission - it's open source from top to bottom. Thanks yall.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Anyone else exhaust their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits? This was my last term using the bill and my remaining entitlement months is at 0.

I had 1200 dollars pop into my checking account and I'm assuming it's the MGIB refund, but the VA website says that check is supposed to come with the final housing payment.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

sharkbomb posted:

Anyone else exhaust their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits? This was my last term using the bill and my remaining entitlement months is at 0.

I had 1200 dollars pop into my checking account and I'm assuming it's the MGIB refund, but the VA website says that check is supposed to come with the final housing payment.

Your remaining months is 0, but if you even have 1 day left you get it for an entire semester, so make sure you check that.

Until you know for sure, don't spend that money on anything except open heart surgery or some other emergency.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

TBeats posted:

Your remaining months is 0, but if you even have 1 day left you get it for an entire semester, so make sure you check that.

Until you know for sure, don't spend that money on anything except open heart surgery or some other emergency.

Yeah, I'm definitely at 0 remaining benefits. I've been using them sparingly for 2 years and entered this term with only a month left.

The 1200 has got to be the MGIB refund-- too much for the book allowance, not enough for housing, dunno.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

sharkbomb posted:

I thought it was when it was exhausted as well, I don't think they're following the final housing payment thing to the letter.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

TBeats posted:

Wait, what? If I burn up all my GI bill benefits are start a semester with 1 day left they'll pay for the whole semester? That include the stipend as well?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

not caring here posted:

Wait, what? If I burn up all my GI bill benefits are start a semester with 1 day left they'll pay for the whole semester? That include the stipend as well?

Yes. Entering a new semester with just 1 day gets you full benefits for the entirety of the semester. If you're smart about your benefit usage and have a lot of remaining school you can stretch your GI bill quite a bit, especially if you slide into a new semester with >1 day remaining.

Side note about a situation where you may want to temporarily stop using benefits in the middle of your education: The GI Bill will only pay 22k towards tuition PER YEAR. If you hit that cap during the fall semester (as I do with medical school) then it's in your interest to have your school's certifying official NOT certify your attendance for the spring semester. You turn off your GI bill. Then you get recertified in the fall. The only downside is you're not getting the housing allowance for half of the year, but this ensures you're never burning benefit months without receiving that juicy tuition benefit. I've done this for 3 years now which has netted me about 66k in tuition benefits

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well that's pretty neat. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Delizin posted:

I was told by my VR&E counselor that using Voc Rehab combined with Post 9/11 did not deplete my Chapter 33 benefits since I am use Voc Rehab first. I tried to pull up some resources and this seems to confirm it: http://www.disabledveterans.org/2013/10/30/va-voc-rehab-take-away-gi-bill/
http://3mc77e18jo7n1uk8m71my8ml.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Advisory-48-Month-Rule-Original-Claims-3.pdf

I couldn't find a hard source from the VA on this in a couple minutes of searching, but I'll take a look again later to confirm.

Yeah this is what I heard was possible too. The stipulation is that you never touched your chapter 33.

Also, for California veterans, I'm going to attend a Class A license training program and the state Dept of Rehabilitation is covering tuition. I'll also receive the GI Bill living allowance according to my eligibility percentage but the class time will not reduce my remaining eligibility on Chapter 33.

I'm not sure what the disability rating threshold is for the Dept of Rehabilitaion, or if there is one beyond 0%, but my rating determination letter and some supporting diagnosis paperwork from myhealthvet (myhealthevet?) was a requirement for the Dept of Rehabilitation. If this is something you would do for work, find a training school and ask.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So just so I'm clear: I've never used my Post 9/11 GI bill, but I have used VR&E. If I continue to use VR&E only, when I'm done I'll not have used my Post 9/11 benefits at all and will still have 36 months remaining?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

So just so I'm clear: I've never used my Post 9/11 GI bill, but I have used VR&E. If I continue to use VR&E only, when I'm done I'll not have used my Post 9/11 benefits at all and will still have 36 months remaining?

That is my understanding of the program with the new rule changes. There are some guys that posted around here over the last couple days saying they thought they had used up their Post 9/11 benefits while using Voc Rehab, but are suddenly finding out that they still have their Post 9/11 months left.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ this is too good of a deal to stay true.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Jesus Christ this is too good of a deal to stay true.

Apparently they're completely separate, which is contrary to what I had been told before.

I'm looking at ebenefits right now and I've got two different education benefits. GI Bill says: Used Entitlement: 3 months and 18 days Remaining Entitlement: 32 months and 12 days and VR&E says Benefits Used: 25 months, 0 days Benefits Remaining: 23 months, 0 days.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Jeez, I need to quit my job and just ride out all that gravy for a few years...

Edit: Does the VR&E have that same expiration date as Post 9/11? My Post 9/11 ends in line 2021.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Does the VR&E have that same expiration date as Post 9/11? My Post 9/11 ends in line 2021.

VR&E time limit is 12 years from when you become eligible for it. So when you receive a 20% disability rating or 10% with a serious employment handicap the clock starts.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Delizin posted:

VR&E time limit is 12 years from when you become eligible for it. So when you receive a 20% disability rating or 10% with a serious employment handicap the clock starts.

Oh sick, I got my PTSD rating two years ago so I could finish the college stuff then do that... although they might "patch it out" like they did where you could go to school for 7 credit semester and get 100% housing stipend.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Does anyone have any tips for using your GI Bill at schools outside of the US? I'm looking at a school in Canada, and I've done all the math and the financials work out, but the people around here don't really know how the process for using post 9/11 works when using it for a school outside of the country.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Anyone bought a house with a VA loan before separating and going back to school? Looking at 2 years of grad school and I'd rather use my gi bill BAH to pay for my own house, but I know I wouldn't be able to qualify for a loan after I separate.

Just looking for experiences I guess. I have quite a bit saved up too, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

AFStealth posted:

Anyone bought a house with a VA loan before separating and going back to school? Looking at 2 years of grad school and I'd rather use my gi bill BAH to pay for my own house, but I know I wouldn't be able to qualify for a loan after I separate.

Just looking for experiences I guess. I have quite a bit saved up too, which is nice.

I did, it was easy as hell relatively, got the mortgage through USAA.