Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

where does he fall on the NBA's gulen/erdogan axis

He doesn't like shooting so gulen prob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Michael Corleone posted:

Wouldn't the BBB shoes sell a lot better at normal prices? Sure he'll sell some pairs at $500, but aren't Jordan's and Lebron's like $250 at most? He could sell his for $200 and still make way more money then signing with Nike, IF Lonzo is a star, if not, shoulda taken the guaranteed money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If only more NBA players were smart enough to put a personal trainer in charge of their branding and marketing

I mean, he's done a preeeetttty good job of that so far my dude.

Acting a fool may not be the most aesthetically pleasing way to promote a brand. But it works. And he got his logo and brand in front of a national TV audience on one of the most watched live TV shows by the demo he's targeting.

zoux posted:

If you were betting money, would you bet for or against Big Baller Brand blowing up

I think the price is supposed to be part of the attraction, these are supposed to be ostentatious luxury items, not shoes you lace up for pickup at the Y.

I dunno, it depends on how much you believe in the 3 sons ability to be NBA players. If one out of the 3 of them becomes a legit star then for sure it blows up and pays off.

But I guess if I were forced to bet, i would probably bet against because becoming a legit bonafide star in the NBA is rare and very very hard. Though easier in LA if you are remotely good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

*points to White House*

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dexo posted:

"Huge"

Those deals are never as big as they are reported. Tons of incentives to hit that number.

Yeah I assumed Ball would have to hit certain metrics to hit the bulk of that money and I also assume that Ball has to grind long enough to obtain his own Nike shoe and unlock his big money. It took years for PG to earn that.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Ante Zizic has arrived just in time for summer league. Surely this 20 year old Croat has all of the answers to Boston's rebounding woes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

demo he's targeting.

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/879416491396956162

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

euphronius posted:

*points to White House*

And Lavar doesn't even have the benefit of a channel devoted to propaganda for his view points backing him up.

Almost anytime Lavar's on TV he's actually antagonized.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Screaming at MCW to get out of here in an extremely 2011 stacey king yelling at guys getting dunked on by Rose voice

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Check the ratings and demo for the WWE, and it's almost as liberal leaning as the NBA.(laughably less likely to vote tho)

R.D. Mangles posted:

Screaming at MCW to get out of here in an extremely 2011 stacey king yelling at guys getting dunked on by Rose voice

WHAT ARE YOU DOING MCW.

No seriously what the gently caress are you doing, how in the living hell did you botch a 4 on 1 fast break. Jesus christ.

https://streamable.com/uv26p

oh god that was against T-Wolves :smith:

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 27, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That and Lavar's connections to make and deliver the shoes are not going to come anywhere near to Jordan or Lebron's. He may know he only has so any he can deliver in total or he might be taking a hit on logistics in general and wanting to push that price up.

If your supply pipeline is poo poo, one way to mitigate that is offering a high-margin, low-volume product.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm sort of hopeful MCW could be OK as a backup surrounded by shooters but mostly he's the only non-Shaun Livingston big point guard on the market as far as I can tell

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Michael Corleone posted:

Wouldn't the BBB shoes sell a lot better at normal prices? Sure he'll sell some pairs at $500, but aren't Jordan's and Lebron's like $250 at most? He could sell his for $200 and still make way more money then signing with Nike, IF Lonzo is a star, if not, shoulda taken the guaranteed money.

Economies of scale might mess with that.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

I'm sort of hopeful MCW could be OK as a backup surrounded by shooters but mostly he's the only non-Shaun Livingston big point guard on the market as far as I can tell

There is no benefit for having a bad player on your team just because they fit the build you seek

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

morestuff posted:

Turn left. Use my previous optimism as a warning. Don't ever have hope.

Dexo posted:

Give me MCW over Snell Any day of the loving week. If you ever and I mean ever see me say that I unironically want Snell again no matter how bad MCW is ban me.

:toxx:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Guys, have faith! This could be the year that MCW turns it all around!

lmao

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

I mean, he's done a preeeetttty good job of that so far my dude.

Acting a fool may not be the most aesthetically pleasing way to promote a brand. But it works. And he got his logo and brand in front of a national TV audience on one of the most watched live TV shows by the demo he's targeting.

I dunno, it depends on how much you believe in the 3 sons ability to be NBA players. If one out of the 3 of them becomes a legit star then for sure it blows up and pays off.

But I guess if I were forced to bet, i would probably bet against because becoming a legit bonafide star in the NBA is rare and very very hard. Though easier in LA if you are remotely good.

Sneaky important factor: LiAngelo is almost destined to be a huge star in China.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Like if charlotte wants to take a shot at a big pg take a shot on tyreke evans at least he's had some good games pop up from time to time

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

He doesn't like shooting so gulen prob

OrsonWellesSlowClap.gif

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Metapod posted:

There is no benefit for having a bad player on your team just because they fit the build you seek

Sure, but on the other hand fit can make a huge difference, especially for young guys. It doesn't really surprise me he looked terrible on the 23rd, 30th and 28th-worst shooting teams in their respective seasons.

Charlotte's going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel anyway, or trying to skate by with a Monk/Lamb/Batum backcourt. You're not really playing a winning game when you're picking between MCW + Beno, Mack, Greivis etc.

Metapod posted:

Like if charlotte wants to take a shot at a big pg take a shot on tyreke evans at least he's had some good games pop up from time to time

I sort of assume he's going to get more than they can offer but with the cap not growing as fast as expected + more teams capped out I have no idea what the market is going to be like this year

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Unlike the people who ain't down with LaVarr Ball, this is just & beautiful

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tyreke is perpetually hurt and always has some kind of nagging injury. I guess being a really big, bulky guy who plays a herky-jerky style is hard on your body

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

morestuff posted:

Sure, but on the other hand fit can make a huge difference, especially for young guys. It doesn't really surprise me he looked terrible on the 23rd, 30th and 28th-worst shooting teams in their respective seasons.

Charlotte's going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel anyway, or trying to skate by with a Monk/Lamb/Batum backcourt. You're not really playing a winning game when you're picking between MCW + Beno, Mack, Greivis etc.

I sort of assume he's going to get more than they can offer but with the cap not growing as fast as expected + more teams capped out I have no idea what the market is going to be like this year

They have this Kemba Walker guy...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

tanglewood1420 posted:

They have this Kemba Walker guy...

Uh, he's specifically talking about back-up PGs when they have a tire fire on the team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We talking about MCW in here?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Tae posted:

Uh, he's specifically talking about back-up PGs when they have a tire fire on the team.

I thought so at first, but then saying "trying to skate by with a Monk/Lamb/Batum backcourt" made it sound to me as if he'd just forgotten about him.

Either way MCW is bad and teams shouldn't sign him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Marcelo Nogueira from Ole was responsible for the vote for IT2 for the All Defensive Team.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

I thought so at first, but then saying "trying to skate by with a Monk/Lamb/Batum backcourt" made it sound to me as if he'd just forgotten about him.

Either way MCW is bad and teams shouldn't sign him.

Yeah, talking a backup guy. Batum played a lot with the second unit since Clifford prefers a nine-man rotation

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently DeRozan won't be involved in trying to keep Lowry in Toronto

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Marcelo Nogueira from Ole was responsible for the vote for IT2 for the All Defensive Team.
So THIS is what Donald trump was trying to warn us about

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

morestuff posted:

How big of a market do you really expect him to have? I know Charlotte is close to capped out but I can't see MCW getting more than like 4-5m a year.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Dexo posted:

"Huge"

Those deals are never as big as they are reported. Tons of incentives to hit that number.

If Lonzo is good, and the shoes don't suck when playing basketball in them then he will move product. If Liangelo(lol) or Lamelo are good then it especially grows. And if they show they do good work they might be able to get other athletes to sign with them.

Its a long play and may end up not working out. But that decision is less sabotage and is more risking it all being an enterprenuer working for yourself for larger upside rather than going to work for a company which is more stable but you are capped on what you can make for the duration of the deal while also signing away your likeness.

Worth trying, imo. Even if they never become stars, they'll make more than enough just on salaries as NBA players to be set forever. Might as well swing for the loving fences.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dexo posted:

Seriously he's not the first parent to be overbearing sports parent.

And until I see a situation where he actively sabatoges his own kids money or success or goes against his kids wishes is when its a problem.

It's this. Lavar is promoting his kids, who he loves, and is getting people talking about the BBBrand. Hell, the NBA Awards were on last night and all people were talking about was Lavar taking his shirt off on Monday Night Raw and the youngest Ball son imploring Lavar and Dean Ambrose to beat the Miz's rear end.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
LaVar Ball should run for POTUS in 2020. The coverage would be great.

Edit: here is an article on a sweet looking court
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40417916/look-at-this-amazing-basketball-court---and-other-awesome-sports-venues

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 27, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Spacebump posted:

Better option than a 2nd term of Trump. I'd vote for him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So THIS is what Donald trump was trying to warn us about

He also voted for Lamarcus Aldrige as his third choice for DPOY.

:magical:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Apparently DeRozan won't be involved in trying to keep Lowry in Toronto

Yeah he's been pretty clear that his recruitment attempts are just saying "I'm there for you" and that's honestly pretty cool

Bball players are easily swayed though so maybe he should try a little extra

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Agree/disagree: The Miami Heat have the best doping program in the NBA

Spacebump posted:

Edit: here is an article on a sweet looking court
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40417916/look-at-this-amazing-basketball-court---and-other-awesome-sports-venues
Those are nice computer monitor colors but in real life they might play more like Mexican restaurant mural. I like the use of blocking on all the different levels though.

Lonzo Ball is secretly a shooting guard who's a really good passer and the Lakers need to hope Josh Hart is Brogdon esque and that Ivica Zubac develops as a passer

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 27, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah he's been pretty clear that his recruitment attempts are just saying "I'm there for you" and that's honestly pretty cool

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it really, Kyle is probably done as somebody you build around (partly, anyways, he was never a franchise guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Lowry has been a franchise guy for the last 3 years or so. He's been great

Cool Buff Man posted:

Kyle Lowry needs to leave because Demar is dooming them to purgatory
Or stay and make a huge pile of money that he can lounge in and then joke about when he becomes an NBA analyst after never advancing to the finals

• Locked thread