Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The sudden rush of idiots jumping on the Youtube Rational bandwagon is giving me flashbacks of the late 2000's/early 2010's Internet Media Critic rush.

Wonder if it'll turn out the same way, with idiots like Sargon scrambling around desperately for relevance in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, what confuses me about Patreons for very large sums (like the aforementions $50k/month) is that Patreon shows you their current earnings, so you know if they're already making a lot of money. Adding to the Patreon of someone already earning a really high income (especially for something like Youtube videos*) seems like the equivalent of donating money to rich people. Almost any other form of charity would be better than that.

I usually only give to Patreons if the person is making under $2k/month (unless I really like their content, in which case I might raise that limit, though even then I sure as hell wouldn't add to the Patreon of someone already making the equivalent of six figures yearly). I can't imagine being the sort of person who likes a random Atheist Youtuber so much that they're willing to donate to them despite them already making a huge amount of money.

In general Patreon seems like a really good website for certain people, like artists. People generally find it a lot more palatable to throw a few dollars biweekly at someone than to periodically spend larger amount of money. There's this one very skilled artist I like, and she was struggling to turn her art into a career (through selling prints, books, and commissions, which give pretty bad margins after printing costs from what I understand) before Patreon, but now she pulls in enough to comfortably do it full-time from Patreon alone (IIRC she makes about $2k/month just from Patreon).

*I could understand if the videos in question were heavily produced and not just a dude sitting in front of a microphone. Like, say what you will about the Game Theory guy (and I don't particularly like his stuff), but his videos at least come off as a professionally made product that he probably has to work at least full-time hours to create.

business hammocks posted:

Patreon takes a sizable cut too, I believe.

Is that cut before or after what you see on the website?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 27, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ytlaya posted:

You know, what confuses me about Patreons for very large sums (like the aforementions $50k/month) is that Patreon shows you their current earnings, so you know if they're already making a lot of money. Adding to the Patreon of someone already earning a really high income (especially for something like Youtube videos*) seems like the equivalent of donating money to rich people. Almost any other form of charity would be better than that.

I think that for donations, you get extras like special access, or bonus videos, etc.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Destiny was being a little twat over that

The gentlemanly thing to do was directly message Sargon and ask for it to be taken down

no actually destiny is 1000% correct Carlgon was actively lying and slandering him and using his content out of context against him.

Hurting and harming Carlgons youtube business as punishment for his shittiness is cool and good and should be celebrated and done more often at every opportunity to that dishonest little racist poo poo. These rightwing entryists to white nationalism should be undermined at every opportunity that presents itself.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

The sudden rush of idiots jumping on the Youtube Rational bandwagon is giving me flashbacks of the late 2000's/early 2010's Internet Media Critic rush.

Wonder if it'll turn out the same way, with idiots like Sargon scrambling around desperately for relevance in a few years.

The Angry Social Justice Nerd

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

landgrabber posted:

The Angry Social Justice Nerd

I was gonna say The Irate Antifeminist, but isn't that an oxymoron? :v:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Someone should probably tell him that the Honey Badgers were there in the front row apparently along with Sargon. These are two pieces of poo poo rape apologists who have proven track records of bilking thousands of dollars from their idiot fans so they can attend meetings and harass feminists and other people they disagree with.

Anita wasn't being paranoid or overly sensitive to preemptively attack these shitlords. They were there to gently caress with her and she was simply one step ahead of them.

Boogie seems like the epitome of liberal. I remember him defending JonTron, too. He's probably not a bad guy himself but he's way too in favor of "don't rock the boat." It's like what Contra pointed out in his free speech video, don't think we don't know what type of speech you defend. I wonder if he called out Sargon for doxxing that woman a few short months ago.
I get the feeling that Boogie types are precisely the earnest rube that these Skeptics end up nailing with their Rubin-Reportesque "I'm actually a liberal/leftist that's just looking at both sides - is white nationalism good? is it bad? maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle..."

Al-Saqr posted:

no actually destiny is 1000% correct Carlgon was actively lying and slandering him and using his content out of context against him.

Hurting and harming Carlgons youtube business as punishment for his shittiness is cool and good and should be celebrated and done more often at every opportunity to that dishonest little racist poo poo. These rightwing entryists to white nationalism should be undermined at every opportunity that presents itself.
no, don't you see, we must take the Moral High Ground and own them with Reason And Logic. the Marketplace Of Free Ideas will then cause the Truth to bubble to the top due our convictions and adherence to strict rules of intellectual conduct

vvvv there you go! that's the spirit!

crime weed fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 27, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Al-Saqr posted:

horseshoetheory.jpg

I swear SomethingAwful is just a better educated bizzaro 4chan with the way people act

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

horseshoetheory.jpg

I swear SomethingAwful is just a better educated bizzaro 4chan with the way people act

Opposing Nazis makes you the real Nazi, etc etc.

Just come out as the closeted Sargon fan you are IFM.

Or better yet, gently caress off back to 4chan already. You never loving shut up about it in any thread I've seen you in.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
he straight stole the videos off destinys youtube channel and tried to make money off them, he didn't even add commentary

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

horseshoetheory.jpg

https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/879315644130381825

SteelMentor posted:

if the internet has taught me anything, it's that white supremacy is approximately equivalent to lycanthropy

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

SteelMentor posted:

Just come out as the closeted Sargon fan you are IFM.

Or better yet, gently caress off back to 4chan already. You never loving shut up about it in any thread I've seen you in.

I was a fan of Sargon till he lost his marbles at the start of the year

Gamergate was a mistake as it open the doors to people like Sargon to pretend that they are just rational critics of the regressive left but just turned into garden variety bigotry and spewing bullshit that looks legit but is really them twisting data and information to their own ends

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gamergate was just a mistake, you don't need to qualify it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Gamergate as a whole was absolutely nothing but human garbage crying that a woman made a video or two about video games.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gamergate was a mistake as it open the doors to people like Sargon to pretend that they are just rational critics of the regressive left but just turned into garden variety bigotry and spewing bullshit that looks legit but is really them twisting data and information to their own ends

Sargon was always an idiot. Tell me, what attracted you to him in the first place? The only thing that's changed is that's somehow gotten worse at arguing his points.

Also Gamergate was loving stupid, fullstop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

horseshoetheory.jpg

isn't reality.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Al-Saqr posted:

Gamergate as a whole was absolutely nothing but human garbage crying that a woman made a video or two about video games.

no one was in the right about Gamergate

Both sides egged each on to the point where it got out of control

I do feel bad for Anita and Leigh Alexander who got caught in the crossfire of a blood feud between the regressive left and the internet equivalent of the Mongol Hordes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I do feel bad for Anita and Leigh Alexander who got caught in the crossfire of a blood feud between the regressive left and the internet equivalent of the Mongol Hordes

it's easy to think this if you're still in the muck of internet politics and keeping track of who tweeted mean things at who

but if you look at gamergate from a non internet obsessive perspective, there's really only two sides - shut in men angry about women and video games, and women saying "hey harassment is not a good thing" so it's not exactly hard to pick a side

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ytlaya posted:

I usually only give to Patreons if the person is making under $2k/month (unless I really like their content, in which case I might raise that limit, though even then I sure as hell wouldn't add to the Patreon of someone already making the equivalent of six figures yearly). I can't imagine being the sort of person who likes a random Atheist Youtuber so much that they're willing to donate to them despite them already making a huge amount of money.

I never understand this. $24K a year is a poo poo salary, and going by your model that's all someone should expect from a Patreon. If I think an object or service is valuable, its value is 100% untied to how much the person who created it makes. I don't donate to much of the stuff being discussed here, but I am in the $5-10 monthly for a few podcasts I enjoy. I look at it closer to a public radio donation style system, where you donate to the stuff you like so that the costs in getting it made are covered, along with money to support people enough that they don't just use that time to do something more valuable. If someone makes something that has actual broad appeal and makes $100K a year from it, good for them.

quote:

Is that cut before or after what you see on the website?

If Graphtreon is to be believed, the dollar amount has deducted the cut for some time now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Generally, with drama of any sort, it pays to be on the side that's not infested with Nazis.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SteelMentor posted:

Generally, with drama of any sort, it pays to be on the side that's not infested with Nazis.

but if i pretend that the people saying "hey death threats against women for being women are a bad thing" are trying to murder free speech in the crib or whatever, or if i accuse them of having too many or not enough emotions, then my implicit association with nazis doesn't seem all that bad in comparison

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sargon was a toxic pit of a human being long before the start of the year. gently caress back off to whatever reddit or chan-based corner you oozed out of.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
"RARGH YOU CANT HARASS WOMEN ON YHE INTERNET"

"Hey, that's your opinion. I just want to talk about ethics in game journalism, but whatever. Looks like you've got some growing up to do."

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

boner confessor posted:

it's easy to think this if you're still in the muck of internet politics and keeping track of who tweeted mean things at who

but if you look at gamergate from a non internet obsessive perspective, there's really only two sides - shut in men angry about women and video games, and women saying "hey harassment is not a good thing" so it's not exactly hard to pick a side

Nah its not like a cabal of game journalists and developers weren't conspiring together or anything

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

who the gently caress uses the words 'regressive left' and isn't immediately an insanely unlikable sack of poo poo?

who the gently caress thinks a childrens toy industry like videogames is actively in a conspiracy against men and isnt a giant fuckwad idiot?

who the gently caress loser thinks that women talking about videogames harms or derides their lives in any meaningful way unless they're loving shut in losers looking to have a moan?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 27, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nah its not like a cabal of game journalists and developers weren't conspiring together or anything

nobody cares about this pizzagate poo poo you big fat weirdo

the large majority of the public knows nothing about gamergate except that it involved men who spend all day on the internet yelling at women about video games

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fuckin' lol, you're such a loving manbaby.

OH NOES, PEOPLE IN A TIGHT KNIT INDUSTRY TALK TO EACH OTHER.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the concept of "sides" seems weird when it was a bunch of nerds throwing a screaming fit because a lady made a video.

Also not sure there can really be a "conspiracy" when the gaming press is literally just a republishing mechanism for advertisements and literally always has been. I think to have journalistic standards you need to have journalism first.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 27, 2017

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Video game "journalism" has been in bed with the industry since the very beginning of people writing for video games in magazines.

Focusing on whatever happened between Quinn and whatever her games writer friends wrote about her as the flash point of some kind of sinister conspiracy against gamers displays a rather telling and sad lack of knowledge of the state the industry's always been in.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh no, intelligent and educated people sided with the woman actually trying to get into the industry instead of the disposable consumers angry that she had the gall to exist. It's totally a conspiracy and not just the way the world functions. Want to be considered more? Be something more than the hole that products get slopped into. Actually leave your parent's basement and make something, anything. Creators get more consideration because they're the ones actually sticking their neck out, instead of just staying in the comfortable dark of the basement and calling for more pizza rolls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IFM how old are you?

Because you consistently post like you're about 13 and just discovered the internet.

And also it is the early 2000's, you post like me when I first discovered the internet.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

murphyslaw posted:

Video game "journalism" has been in bed with the industry since the very beginning of people writing for video games in magazines.

Focusing on whatever happened between Quinn and whatever her games writer friends wrote about her as the flash point of some kind of sinister conspiracy against gamers displays a rather telling and sad lack of knowledge of the state the industry's always been in.

Edit: also why are writers who are friends of a person who is targeted by a harassment campaign in the wrong for using their positions to defend their friend?

E2: Quote =/= edit

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

murphyslaw posted:

Edit: also why are writers who are friends of a person who is targeted by a harassment campaign in the wrong for using their positions to defend their friend?

because then i can yell my head off about ethics without really understanding what that means, which makes me feel morally justified when i threaten to hang a bitch from her pussy lips on twitter

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Better send a swat team to Anita Sarkeesian's house over it. There were some serious factual inaccuracies in her account of Princess Toadstool's role in Mario World.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Better send a swat team to Anita Sarkeesian's house over it. There were some serious factual inaccuracies in her account of Princess Toadstool's role in Mario World.
Just did this and the Anita found out and called the police on me. Shes harassing me and should be called out for it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gorn Myson posted:

Just did this and the Anita found out and called the police on me. Shes harassing me and should be called out for it.

I heard she called you a Garbage Person as well, better get on Twitter and try and incite another lynch mob.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

I heard she called you a Garbage Person as well, better get on Twitter and try and incite another lynch mob.
That loving bitch oval office, I'll teach her for using ad-hominems on me.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
i just want to know more about this "hitman 3" controversy

does she have some legitimate criticisms, or is Anita a bitch that need to by hung by her genitals? well, both of these sides sound reasonable - maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle...................

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

IFM how old are you?

Because you consistently post like you're about 13 and just discovered the internet.

And also it is the early 2000's, you post like me when I first discovered the internet.

Oh I'm not falling for that trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Oh I'm not falling for that trap

a bit late to proclaim that you are not gullible imo

• Locked thread