Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Karl Barks posted:

pass a tax on the rich and bring about a constitutional crisis bing bong

Just force rich people to buy their heads, or have them removed by the state. It's not a tax, so no super majority is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Condiv posted:

they have a supermajority. why can they not pass anything at all? how many more democrats have to be in power before democrats start passing democratic legislation instead of republican legislation and compromises with republicans!?

NNNNN..NO....LOOK AT THE REPUBLICANS AND THE AHCA! THEYRE THE BAD GUYS! NOT US!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

they have a supermajority. why can they not pass anything at all? how many more democrats have to be in power before democrats start passing democratic legislation instead of republican legislation and compromises with republicans!?

democratic supermajority != progressive supermajority. it's that simple. it's not a grand plan, it's just that too many legislators don't want to pass it. in this case it only takes a few.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

I like the part where he goes "I wonder if this is what democracy in ancient Greece was like"

In the sense that a bunch of wealthy people made decisions without the input of all the proles, yeah, I guess it's kinda similar.

But which version had/has more pedophiles in power?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) says Democrats should campaign on a single-payer health care plan in 2018 and 2020.

She said former President Barack Obama tried to use a more conservative model when writing the Affordable Care Act, but she told The Wall Street Journal Tuesday that Democrats should push for a health care plan similar to Canada and the United Kingdom.

“Now it’s time for the next step. And the next step is single payer,” she said, adding that the key to Democratic wins is adopting a more “progressive” approach.

In Lowell, Ms. Warren said there is broad support for raising the minimum wage, expanding Social Security, forgiving student loan debt and installing tougher federal regulations on the financial services industry.

Democrats, she said, would do better if they campaigned on that progressive platform rather than blurring the lines between themselves and Republicans.

“The progressive agenda is America’s agenda,” she said. “It’s not like we’re trying to sell stuff that people don’t want…It’s not that at all. It’s that we haven’t gotten up there and been as clear about our values as we should be, or as clear and concrete about how we’re going to get there.”

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

democratic supermajority != progressive supermajority. it's that simple. it's not a grand plan, it's just that too many legislators don't want to pass it. in this case it only takes a few.

then let them out themselves.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

pass a tax on the rich and bring about a constitutional crisis bing bong

dissolve the united states imo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) says Democrats should campaign on a single-payer health care plan in 2018 and 2020.

She said former President Barack Obama tried to use a more conservative model when writing the Affordable Care Act, but she told The Wall Street Journal Tuesday that Democrats should push for a health care plan similar to Canada and the United Kingdom.

“Now it’s time for the next step. And the next step is single payer,” she said, adding that the key to Democratic wins is adopting a more “progressive” approach.

In Lowell, Ms. Warren said there is broad support for raising the minimum wage, expanding Social Security, forgiving student loan debt and installing tougher federal regulations on the financial services industry.

Democrats, she said, would do better if they campaigned on that progressive platform rather than blurring the lines between themselves and Republicans.

“The progressive agenda is America’s agenda,” she said. “It’s not like we’re trying to sell stuff that people don’t want…It’s not that at all. It’s that we haven’t gotten up there and been as clear about our values as we should be, or as clear and concrete about how we’re going to get there.”

they should

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

So then what's the point in supporting Democrats that will oppose legislation yoy want passed?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

it'd be a lot easier for rival burbclave states with competitive human rights to recruit people~

"this union has legal weed, but no healthcare" and vice versa with cul de sac capitals

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

MizPiz posted:

So then what's the point in supporting Democrats that will oppose legislation yoy want passed?

well no one is making you support democrats that oppose your legislation

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

dissolve the human race

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

too many democratic legislators are taking too many bribes you mean, including supposed singlepayer proponent rendon who shielded his slimy friends. i hope he and every one of these worthless dems get voted out.

also, this drives home why it's worthless to vote for centrists as a lesser of two evils. cause they will stab you in the back all the same while trying to lie to you about it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

"i support single payer, but we need to try it at a county level first"- the democrats

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

it'd be a lot easier for rival burbclave states with competitive human rights to recruit people~

"this union has legal weed, but no healthcare" and vice versa with cul de sac capitals

i support single payer, but we have to try it on the steve's mom's house level first

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

where's the lie, tho?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Single-payer, where each citizen is a unique consumer who pays singly for healthcare on a robust market, like shopping for socks or candy

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, i forgot that someone gift cert'd me an avatar change, so as i scroll around itt i keep thinking "when the hell did i write this garbage?" and then i remember that gimmick don't work anymore.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
since prop 13 amended the california constitution, and it needs to be changed for single payer, aren't the routes to getting the taxes done:

1) a ballot initiative
2) 2/3rds of both houses agree on a proposition, which goes out to a statewide ballot anyway
3) 2/3rds of both houses agree to hold a constitutional convention

a convention would own imo

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Al! posted:

why didn't the acid rain of the 70s and 80s get around to finishing the job

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

One-third of all Americans are already served by single-payer programs: the VA, Medicaid and Medicare.

Of course, you'll never hear bad dems admit this when arguing that the time's not yet ripe for single-payer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zegermans posted:

I dunno maybe we should be on the side of the folks who don't want thousands more to die and pick the fight about the thousands they let die due to single payer opposition for a different time through political activism and replacing of the dem party structure from the ground up with progressives

This only really applies to voting. I agree that people should ultimately make the practical best choice in the voting booth, but I can't think of many benefits to clamping down on criticism of Democrats (which is what you seem to be implying here with this "be on their side" stuff). It's not like non-Republicans saying "grrr I hate Republicans/the AHCA" on Twitter is going to somehow hamper their efforts to pass the AHCA. The only real potential result from people expressing their opinions like this is to generally signal the opinions of the population as a whole (or Democrats as a whole), and while there's a non-zero chance that Democrats might care about millions of Democratic voters saying "I am very unhappy with your behavior", there's definitely zero chance that Republicans will give a poo poo about millions of Democrats voicing their opposition to the AHCA (and it's not like there's any dearth of that to begin with).

Like, I just can't really see what the harm is to leftists verbally attacking Democats. If a leftist says they won't vote for a Democrat (in a remotely contested area, at least), there's some grounds for argument there, but I can't really think of anything tangibly negative that would result from a bunch of Democrats signalling their displeasure with the party.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

mormonpartyboat posted:

since prop 13 amended the california constitution, and it needs to be changed for single payer, aren't the routes to getting the taxes done:

1) a ballot initiative
2) 2/3rds of both houses agree on a proposition, which goes out to a statewide ballot anyway
3) 2/3rds of both houses agree to hold a constitutional convention

a convention would own imo

p much yeah

and we've passed tax increases via ballot initiative before

that's why I and a few others think a ballot initiative is the best chance single payer has in this state

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

Generally personal wealth has had little to do with where presidents fall on the left/right axis historically. The issue with ZUCK is he's a creepy techlord not that he's rich.

This is also why I think the "BUT BERNIE HAS WEALTH????? VACATION HOMES REEEEEEE" poo poo is so loving stupid; FDR/New Deal democrats were not poor.

the issue isn't how much money he had, it's how he made it. he was born to parents that made six or seven figures each, never had a job where he wasn't the boss, and didn't even finish his first Harvard degree before starting his own business that eventually made him into a billionaire. there's never been any indication that he realizes the massive advantages his parents and upbringing afforded him, and typically those types end up believing that they're self-made men who bootstrapped themselves to riches by being smart and working hard, with no help from anyone. and people who honestly believe in bootstraps are generally not known for being kind and understanding toward the poor

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i dont understand why getting the dems to vote on a bill is a bad thing

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

because their corporate donors won't allow them (or us) nice things, and bad dems don't want to have to demonstrate their corporate ownership.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Terror Sweat posted:

because then they might lose their supermajority to pass regressive tax hikes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what if, get this paradox-level grand strategy, the california dems worked on a ballot initiative while working on the other bill in committee at the same time in case the ballot initiative fails

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Al! posted:

what if, get this paradox-level grand strategy, the california dems worked on a ballot initiative while working on the other bill in committee at the same time in case the ballot initiative fails

again this cannot happen because then they'll be on record as voting to move a tax increase that didn't only gently caress over the poor out of committee

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I feel like that was my point

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maybe California is just a bad state.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

bitch ill cut u

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

:ca: best state

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

docbeard posted:

No True Leftist State

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Terror Sweat posted:

the ~math~ is basically

you gotta do a statewide ballot (or hold a convention lol) either way, so do you want to have a ballot on its own or do you want to have a ballot and also a bunch of dems going on record as voting for a significant tax increase and probably a bunch of seats lost in the upcoming election because people are idiots

and are those seats worth the lives that will be lost, especially if trump passes his poo poo Now and ya gotta wait until another election cycle to get the groundwork passed much less functional communism implemented

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

docbeard posted:

im from oregon so im genetically disposed to believe this with every fiber of my being

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

just call a convention and make a horse governor imo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What if...there are inherently no good states in the seat of global empire?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

:siren:this is more pressing than singlepayer!!:siren:

https://twitter.com/Rendon63rd/status/879743321324740612

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

mormonpartyboat posted:

and are those seats worth the lives that will be lost,

i'm fairly certain the soon to be dead would vehemently disagree