Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm sad to say the insanely cheaper version of Dead Cells is no more. Bundle Stars reduced their discount from 27% to 15% like Steam. There's still the extra 5% coupon (RED5) but it's not like it was....

You can get 25% on Humble Store if you're a Humble Monthly subscriber, so there's that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Which reminds me that I need to buy Dark Souls II there before the month is out.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been playing through some games and actually getting several refunds, need to calm down before Gaben gets mad at me.

I was looking for a racing game that wouldn't be obnoxious and too arcadey like DiRT 3, so I picked up F1 2016 and DiRT Rally. Apparently there isn't a game for me in that sweetspot between arcade and simulation, both of those games were too overwhelming to get into. Maybe I do need to buy a wheel. So both of those I wound up refunding.

Hearthlands is a janky clone of the ancient citybuilders of old (Caesar, Pharaoh, Zeus, etc.) but doesn't do anything interesting to justify playing it instead of those older games instead. So that was also a refund.

StarCrawlers, the scifi-themed dungeon crawler of Grimrock heritage, was on the bubble for me but I think I'll end up keeping it. I'm liking it so far, my only concern is that the combat might get too samey after playing it for more than 20 hours but that's not a reason to refund the game.

Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal is my introduction to time management, it's very good, very addictive and it's making me question my prejudices about people who play "casual" time management games.

The Sexy Brutale, the Groundhog Day game of murder prevention, is exactly as good as they say, although a little less expansive than I thought and shorter than I expected, but a very solid purchase. It might be the game of the sale for me but I still have Dead Cells and Hollow Knight to try. I'm interested to see where that goes because metroidvanias and platformers haven't quite been my jam.

I've also got Hitman but I don't have SSD space to install it yet!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm sad to say the insanely cheaper version of Dead Cells is no more. Bundle Stars reduced their discount from 27% to 15% like Steam. There's still the extra 5% coupon (RED5) but it's not like it was....

Found out that by backing Project CARs all those years ago I'm an investor and have been getting paid. I had a phantom $100 sitting in my PayPal. Sadly that barely dents my list for this sale.

Gamebillet had Dead Cells for -39% until last night but looks like that's down to 15% as well.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't know who recommended Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, but great, GREAT recommendation. Most fun I've had with a videogame in some time. Clearly only a once-play-through kind of thing but not a bad deal at $15.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't know who recommended Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, but great, GREAT recommendation. Most fun I've had with a videogame in some time. Clearly only a once-play-through kind of thing but not a bad deal at $15.

It's the best game adaptation of Sherlock Holmes I've ever played. Sadly the rest of the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games don't really quite reach the same level.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Opinion time! I refunded Binding of Issac and DLC for about 13 bucks because I own (the base game) it on ps4 due to psplus already and didnt want to spend 13-18 bucks for the game with all dlc. So using that possible 13 bucks, here are 3 options I'm floating:

1. Virginia - 2.50
2. Skyforce - 2.50
3. Song of the Deep - 3.75
4. Grim Dawn Crucible DLC - 4.00
Total - 12.75

1. N++ - 7.50
2. Virginia - 2.50
3. Skyforce - 2.50
Total - 12.50

1. Captain Forever Remix - 6.00
2. Lords of Shadow 2 - 8.00
Total - 12.00

Alternates:
- Firewatch - 9.00
- Renowned Explorers - 8.00
- Simple Planes - 7.80
- Reassembly - 7.50

strategery fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 27, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

strategery posted:

- Renowned Explorers - 8.00

You won't regret this. I cannot stop playing this game.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Princess Maker 3 is out, though as usual DL is messed up so give it a couple hours.

Of note it's 20% discounted and also offers further discount for those who own other PM games

http://store.steampowered.com/app/650110/Princess_Maker_3_Fairy_Tales_Come_True/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Keep in mind that the meat boy guy's new platformer comes out July 12.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

tight aspirations posted:

Huh, I didn't get an invite, but I'm pretty sure I hosed up the link - I'm https://steamcommunity.com/id/CreepyJackalopeEye

Ah yeah, ok, I sent the invite to the correct profile this time.

This is me by the way, and any other goons that want can add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/-blackadder-/

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 27, 2017

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

funakupo posted:

Princess Maker 3 is out, though as usual DL is messed up so give it a couple hours.

Of note it's 20% discounted and also offers further discount for those who own other PM games

http://store.steampowered.com/app/650110/Princess_Maker_3_Fairy_Tales_Come_True/

Holy crap, thanks!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Awesome! posted:

housemarque knows how to make twin stick shooters. it controls well and is fast and fun and looks great. there are a surprising number of secrets and poo poo as you go through each world too.

the only thing ive seen people complain about is the beam you cant dodge through later on. i dont find it that bad though.
Cool, will probably pick this one up! Been itching for a good twin-stick since (old) crimsonland.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Do not buy Wasteland 2, friend.

Wha? That game was awesome. It should appeal to many who likes turn based games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

long-ish post, everyone in the Darkest Dungeon thread either already knows this and has done it or chosen not to, but for the sake of idle viewers and/or people who have given up on that grind, here's how to make DD playable (ie, just delve dungeons and skip the grind):

quote:

OK, first off, open file explorer and find a directory that looks a lot like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\campaign

There's a bunch of subfolders, I'm gonna list the changes you can make in order of how much they break the game's cycle (which is a good thing, because the amount of grinding you have to do is ridiculous). If you just want a little boost, only do #1. If you want to break the game over your knee to see the endgame content, do all 3.

1) Completely upgrade your town for free

Go to the heirloom_exchange txt file and change them to all give 9 for 1 exchanges (so you go infinite) Here's 1 line:

{ "exchange_from_type": "bust", "exchange_from_amount": 1, "exchange_to_type": "crest", "exchange_to_amount": 9 },

make them all look like that

2) Completely get rid of the gold grind

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\inventory

look for base.gem.inventory.items.txt

and add a 9 to the front of every one. so:
inventory_item: .type "gem".id "ancient_idol" .sell_gold_value 500
becomes
inventory_item: .type "gem".id "ancient_idol" .sell_gold_value 9500

This will let you get lots and lots of gold to pay for everything you want to do without actually breaking the game's economy

3) Completely get rid of the game's combat bullshit

This one's a little trickier, but if you've already done your editing on the first two, you should feel more comfortable with this. First, find C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\heroes

You'll see a big list of sub-folders. Pick one (or many) and check out their classname.info text file. You can manually set the accuracy & damage range of all their skills. When I was done with the grind of DD, I just set their level 4 skills to an extra 100% accuracy (to stop misses) or change the ranges on their class_name_weapon_4 damage values to make a super-deadly character (a range of 50-99 instead of 7-13 is pretty great)

I did this for like 2 classes because a) it's a little time-consuming and b) that let me *choose* when I wanted to a+ 100% beat a level vs. actually play the game.

I was able to do all these changes w/o my game breaking, and I did it mid-game and nothing bad happened. Obviously, create backups if you go tinkering, but otherwise - Enjoy!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

If you're willing to part with them then hell yeah I'll take them, thanks! Just PM me.

PM sent

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

What has changed in darkest dungeon? I played for awhile at launch and it was very atmospheric and cool-seeming, but also extremely shallow. You'd pretty much seen everything by level 2-3 and it was just doing the same things over and over - very much a style over substance game. Has that been addressed at all?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What has changed in darkest dungeon? I played for awhile at launch and it was very atmospheric and cool-seeming, but also extremely shallow. You'd pretty much seen everything by level 2-3 and it was just doing the same things over and over - very much a style over substance game. Has that been addressed at all?

The new DLC adds a "your adventurers contract incurable vampirism, whose symptoms can only be abated (but not cured) via an extremely limited-drop item found while adventuring, and oh if they go to the tavern they can infect anyone else in the tavern that week"

It's still very much a style-over-substance game, but it has just so goddamn much style it's almost still worth it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bad games deserve sales too.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How's Bastard Bonds? The only thing I know about it is "strategy RPG with sexy dudes"

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
That Sherlock Holmes game keeps getting mentioned and I'm close to buying, but I remember I played one of those games and just gave up. The game had you visiting your apartment, the crime scene, police station etc.. And there were long rear end load times between each one and I got loving tired of visiting places and just waiting constantly.

Is this game better in that regard? I'd check out a let's play, but that seems like a bad idea.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'd like to hear some more detail on what's good about Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment as well. I've had my eye on it for a while but am on the fence.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Don't forget that the Princess Maker-esque Long Live The Queen is on sale for $5.49. Go dancing! Eat Chocolates! Murder usurpers with magic!

Also thanks to Blackadder for gifting me The Zombiriffic Adventures of Sheva Alomar and Swole Beefshirt

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
These loving chocolates...

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jewce posted:

That Sherlock Holmes game keeps getting mentioned and I'm close to buying, but I remember I played one of those games and just gave up. The game had you visiting your apartment, the crime scene, police station etc.. And there were long rear end load times between each one and I got loving tired of visiting places and just waiting constantly.

Is this game better in that regard? I'd check out a let's play, but that seems like a bad idea.

That sounds a lot like Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder, which was a pretty good ride with a guide open to get a more efficient route than figuring out that you need to go to the office for this one piece of evidence, the victim's apartment for the next, the house in the woods for the next, and the police station for the next, and so on.

I'm really close to picking up that Sherlock Holmes game, though, based on recommendations here, and because I liked the Sherlock Holmes vs. Cthulhu game in a lovely b-movie way. Does Watson still teleport behind you, or does he run like some kind of non-interdimensional wuss?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

HenryEx posted:

These loving chocolates...

Dark Souls has the Capra Demon, LLTQ has chocolates

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zetsubou-san posted:

Also thanks to Blackadder for gifting me The Zombiriffic Adventures of Sheva Alomar and Swole Beefshirt

It took me a minute to realize this wasn't a real title that someone snuck through Greenlight.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm really close to picking up that Sherlock Holmes game, though, based on recommendations here, and because I liked the Sherlock Holmes vs. Cthulhu game in a lovely b-movie way. Does Watson still teleport behind you, or does he run like some kind of non-interdimensional wuss?
This sounds dope. Speaking of which what are the good Cthulhu games? I already played Call of Cthulhu.

Also, there must be a ton of mystery or hidden object games on sale right now. What are the best of those? I specifically like horror or sci-fi in these types of games.

Zetsubou-san posted:

Haha, of course!

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 27, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

-Blackadder- posted:

This sounds dope. Speaking of which what are the good Cthulhu games? I already played Call of Cthulhu.

Also, there must be a ton of mystery or hidden object games on sale right now. What are the best of those? I specifically like horror or sci-fi in these types of games.

Haha, of course!

Adam Wolfe!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

-Blackadder- posted:

I've reviewed a bunch earlier. HOG stories are... not necessarily their best feature, but Engimatis 2-3 is pretty good.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

Haha, of course!

It's not strictly Cthulhu but for my money The Last Door really gets the whole cosmic horror vibe way better than any other game. For something more actiony, I also enjoy Eldritch a whole lot.

I think you would really like The Room and its sequel if you haven't experienced them yet. For hidden object games, you want anything made by Artifex Mundi. I can personally vouch for Grim Legends, Nightmares from the Deep, 9 Clues, and Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Enigmatis 2 is rad as hell. I'm a weirdo who didn't mind playing the full trilogy but 1 is an early Artifex Mundi effort and 3 is good but kind of a letdown story-wise.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

long-ish post, everyone in the Darkest Dungeon thread either already knows this and has done it or chosen not to, but for the sake of idle viewers and/or people who have given up on that grind, here's how to make DD playable (ie, just delve dungeons and skip the grind):

IDGI, doesn't Radiant mode cut the grind down? Or does it not do enough? Or too much?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden.

Abyss is great because it's basically a parody of Bioshock

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Anyone have any opinions on Sol Trader? It looks like it'll fit my trading and story generation desires like a glove. Like some sort of sci-fi economic Crusader Kings II...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Enigmatis 2 is rad as hell. I'm a weirdo who didn't mind playing the full trilogy but 1 is an early Artifex Mundi effort and 3 is good but kind of a letdown story-wise.

IDGI, doesn't Radiant mode cut the grind down? Or does it not do enough? Or too much?

I haven't touched Radiant mode, but given the design philosophy of Red Hook, I'm guessing it tones down combat bullshit but still makes you have well over 1000 of every heirloom to upgrade your town and well over 200,000g to upgrade/heal your heroes... in a game that give 10-20 heirlooms and 1-2k gold per run, assuming you're perfect

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Jewce posted:

So there are a lot of locations that you have to travel between - but the load times are pretty short (on my high end computer with a SSD) and you're allowed to do deductions whilst riding in the cab and if you play these games like I do (sipping a soda and enjoying a snack) the loads are not onerous at all.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I haven't touched Radiant mode, but given the design philosophy of Red Hook, I'm guessing it tones down combat bullshit but still makes you have well over 1000 of every heirloom to upgrade your town and well over 200,000g to upgrade/heal your heroes... in a game that give 10-20 heirlooms and 1-2k gold per run, assuming you're perfect

quote:

RADIANT MODE:

Never Again changed: heroes are now allowed to return to the Darkest Dungeon. However, they will undergo significant stress upon doing so, and are more likely to become afflicted instead of virtuous when in the Darkest Dungeon.
More Power Leveling flexibility: Heroes of up to Level 4 may enter Novice dungeons. Any hero may enter a Veteran or Champion dungeon.
Stage Coach can now be upgraded to allow the appearance of new recruits starting at up to Level 4. Increased chance of upgraded recruits appearing.
Reduced cost of Upgraded Recruits upgrades.
Accelerated hero XP progression
Hero upgrade and treatment cost scaling by level reduced
Returned provisions now give slightly more money back
Tweaks to Stagecoach:
Added another upgrade tier to Experienced Recruits (Lvl 4 Characters will now appear)
Changed Experienced Recruit requirements. (Lvl 1 now only requires Lvl 1 Blacksmith and Guild)
New Stage Coach population option to use a Deck based system. (This can be used on all modes). New Stagecoach generation method that gives a more even long-term distribution and also favors healers more, since they are the backbone of most parties. This can be toggled off in the Options menu if you wish to still ride the bittersweet wave of total RNG.
Higher Light conditions confer slightly more to party DEF bonuses.
Accelerated Region Progression
Town Events trigger more frequently to compensate for shorter playtime

ALL MODES:
ECONOMY Adjustments to Radiant and Darkest modes:
Economy was too gold starved across the board, including mid and late game.
Slightly reduced cost of Hero Treatment.
Reduced hero weapon and armour upgrade costs.
Reduced cost of upgrading hero skills final two levels
Increased gold drops and gold stacking from 1,500 to 1,750
(ALL MODES) Rebalanced gem drops and changed gem values. Net result is much higher values of gems dropping as difficulty of missions progress.
Gems now all stack to 5 instead of 4
Adjusted Antiquarian values to be in line with Economy changes to ensure she's still profitable.
Tavern and Abbey complete side-effects rebalance and some new side effects added. Goal is to make neither Tavern or Abbey preferable over another, and also add more interest.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So there are a lot of locations that you have to travel between - but the load times are pretty short (on my high end computer with a SSD) and you're allowed to do deductions whilst riding in the cab and if you play these games like I do (sipping a soda and enjoying a snack) the loads are not onerous at all.

Yeah, with an SSD it wasn't bad enough to really notice.

The core gameplay loop has two elements. One is going to crime scenes and finding clues and making observations in a point and click fashion. The second is interviewing suspects and witnesses based on the information you have. There's the occasional puzzle minigame (the arm-wrestling one in the first case was annoying enough for me to nearly refund the game back over the Christmas sale) but the meat of the game is in hunting elements of information and then putting them together into a deduction flow chart. What makes the game stand out is that you can reach multiple different conclusions based on the same evidence and you can solve the case using any one of those. There's of course one "true" solution, which you can find out at the end of the case, and which is always possible to deduce by looking at the facts and coming up with the solution that fits everything the best. "If you rule out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth" and "motive, opportunity, means" are your motto there.

It's not a perfect game by any means, a couple of the later cases in particular had leaps of deduction that didn't make a whole lot of sense, or the clues were obnoxiously difficult to uncover.

Buy it, play the first case, if you don't like it within two hours, refund it because you'll have seen everything the game has to offer. You can probably wrap up the first case (based on an actual Arthur Conan Doyle story) before the two hours are up.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Any opinions on the Immortal Redneck? It seems like a neat little FPS rougelite.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

Any opinions on the Immortal Redneck? It seems like a neat little FPS rougelite.

Watched Giant Bomb's quick look on it and it looks very similar to Ziggurat. Not sure how much procedural shooter content can give since a lot of shooters are made by their level design.

That said, I've enjoyed the absolute gently caress out of Strafe so clearly there's something to the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In case you haven't gotten them yet I just wanted to give a few recommendations.

Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced goes without saying. Lots of great mods out there too. I still pop into this game every couple of years just to complete it.

Batman Arkham City Liked this one more than Arkham Knight and it's aged pretty well. The most well rounded of the games without too much bloat.

Dead Space 1 and 2 two of the best games from the last generation. Scary and fun without being stupid.

Doom rip and tear like it's 1994.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen it's really fund climbing ontop of a cyclops and stabbing it in the eye before jumping onto a griffin and stabbing it while it flies away.

Jade Empire I like playing through games as a bad guy and this one gives you some fun options.

LA Noire Really not many games like it and because the company died probably won't be many like it for years to come. Great atmosphere where you get to play detective in the late 40s LA.

Life is Strange Play the teenage photo-art nerd you always wanted to. Great if you like adventure games but want something different than Telltales formula.

Mad Max if you like the movie and you like open world games you'll like this.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 Generation defining games and my personal favorites. Pulpy sci-fi fun.

Max Payne 1 and 2 Dirt cheap now and fits into the noir category that you don't see many tap into. Also early Rockstar games if you want to see where they came from and the range they could have.

Metal Gear Revengeance -Platinum Games. You fight Metal Gear Ray in the first level.

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor Come for the Lord of the Rings setting, stay for the Nemesis setting. Also stay for the uncomfortable way the orcs talk about your body after they kill you.

One Finger Death Punch great twitch gameplay using only 2 buttons.

Saint's Row The Third and Saints Row 4 The developers decided to go all in on the fun and leave the realistic criminal aspects to Rockstar and this series is better for it. You'll be surprised by how close you get to the characters in this by 4 and the game pays off your investment in amazing ways.

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition This game came out of nowhere at the time and the developers are gone but they left behind a really fun take on the GTA formula in an interesting setting you don't see portrayed often. The melee combat is the most fun in any of the GTA-likes as well.

Sniper Elite V2 Slowmo shoot Nazi balls.

Tales of the Borderlands, Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead Season 1 - 3, Batman a Telltale Game If you like these IPs and you like Telltale games, these are my picks. Tales of the Borderlands is easily the best because of the humor and overall fun moments you'll enjoy.

The Witcher 3/ all of the DLC The absolute best RPG I've ever played because of the investment you get into the characters. The facial animations are top notch and you can really feel the emotion behind scenes even those that don't have any spoke dialogue. And if you like it, don't worry you'll be able to get between 100 - 250 hours of play time out of it.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Plays great, fun costumes, great visuals. Just overall fun.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood Old school shooting that just feels good to play. Also B.J. is now the best character in FPS. He's just crazy about killing those Nazis.

• Locked thread